Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: OT - The Who
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 15, 2012 21:49

stonesnow
tatters
The "We Thought We'd Come Back Just To Say Goodbye Again" tour. Seems like just the other day, doesn't it?

All hail The Ox's overly extravagant lifestyle. Were it not for his persistent debt situation, Pete Townshend would have left the Who back in '82 and there would now be no Quadrophenia tour to look forward to today. Entwistle got Townshend back out on the road again and kept him there, until Pete realized an appreciation for what the Who have come to represent.

What they mainly came to represent is a way for Pete to continue having a large audience. He tried to go it alone. His 1993 solo tour of arenas was cancelled due to poor ticket sales, and had to be rescheduled as a theatre tour. He continues to call his band The Who only because "The Who" can sell far more tickets, at much higher prices, than "The Daltrey-Townshend Band" ever could.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 15, 2012 21:58

tatters
What they mainly came to represent is a way for Pete to continue having a large audience. He tried to go it alone. His 1993 solo tour of arenas was cancelled due to poor ticket sales, and had to be rescheduled as a theatre tour. He continues to call his band The Who only because "The Who" can sell far more tickets, at much higher prices, than "The Daltrey-Townshend Band" ever could.

With that argument, you could say that the Who stopped being the Who in 1978 or that the Stones stopped being the Stones in 1969 (or 1994), now that they only have 3 of their original 6 members (yes, Ian Stewart was a key [no pun intended] element of their sound, even after he virtually became the Pete Best of the Stones).

Daltrey stated back in the 80s, when Entwistle was talking of leaving, that so long as he and Townshend are together, it's the Who. Members come and members go. Luckily associations were forged along the way that allowed Zak Starkey and Pino Palladino to fill out the vacancies left by their original rhythm section--otherwise they would have had to revert to their former name (the Detours). It's not the same band as before, but it is still a band, and I'm looking forward to the Quadrophenia tour.

Date: July 15, 2012 22:27

stonesnow
tatters

With that argument, you could say that the Who stopped being the Who in 1978 or that the Stones stopped being the Stones in 1969 (or 1994), now that they only have 3 of their original 6 members (yes, Ian Stewart was a key [no pun intended] element of their sound, even after he virtually became the Pete Best of the Stones).

Daltrey stated back in the 80s, when Entwistle was talking of leaving, that so long as he and Townshend are together, it's the Who. Members come and members go. Luckily associations were forged along the way that allowed Zak Starkey and Pino Palladino to fill out the vacancies left by their original rhythm section--otherwise they would have had to revert to their former name (the Detours). It's not the same band as before, but it is still a band, and I'm looking forward to the Quadrophenia tour.

For all practical purposes, The Who really did cease to exist on September 7, 1978. The fact that a Townshend solo album, Empty Glass, is the best thing to come from them since then attests to that. You can't make a similar comparison to Brian and the Stones because the Stones went on to even greater heights after Brian's departure. Entwistle wasn't talking about leaving the band in the 80s. There was no band left to leave. What he mainly did was to sit on his ass and wait for Pete to get the band back together, even though as far as Pete was concerned, there was no band anymore. John thought Pete owed him a living. Eventually, Pete came to believe it, too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-15 22:59 by tatters.

Date: July 15, 2012 22:28

Silver Dagger
stonesnow
ab
The Who should have their own bootleg series. They could start with complete recordings of:

6) a representative show from 2000

I vote for the Shepherds Bush Empire shows (not technically 2000, but December 22 and 29, 1999, so close enough). Lots of stuff not usually done live in later years. I have a 2CD boot from these shows:

Disc 1
1. I Can't Explain
2. Substitute
3. Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
4. Pinball Wizard
5. My Wife
6. Baba O'Riley
7. Pure And Easy
8. You Better, You Bet
9. Happy Jack
10.I'm A Boy
11.Getting In Tune
12.The Real Me
13.Behind Blue Eyes
(Shepherds Bush 12-22-99)
14.Tattoo
(Bridge Benefit 10.30-99)
15.After The Fire

Disc 2
(Shepherds Bush 12-29-99)
1. Magic Bus
2. Boris The Spider
3. Who Are You
4. 5:15
5. Won't Get Fooled Again
6. The Kids Are Alright
7. Johnny Cash Interlude
8. Mary Anne With The Shaky Hands
9. Naked Eye
10.My Generation

Best time I saw The Who since Hammersmith Odeon Dec 1975. I think they played there the next year too. There was real passion and anger and you could tell it meant something coming back to their old stomping ground. Is the gig available to download anywhere as I'd love a copy. I'm also after the Watford Colisseum gig from 2002. Best version of Young Man Blues I ever saw.

A full download of the 1999 Sheperds Bush shows is available at

www.filestube.com/s/shepherds+bush+empire

Date: July 15, 2012 22:36

Silver Dagger
stonesnow
ab
The Who should have their own bootleg series. They could start with complete recordings of:

I vote for the Shepherds Bush Empire shows (not technically 2000, but December 22 and 29, 1999, so close enough). Lots of stuff not usually done live in later years. I have a 2CD boot from these shows:

Disc 1
1. I Can't Explain
2. Substitute
4. Pinball Wizard
5. My Wife
6. Baba O'Riley
7. Pure And Easy
8. You Better, You Bet
9. Happy Jack
10.I'm A Boy
11.Getting In Tune
12.The Real Me
13.Behind Blue Eyes
14.Tattoo
15.After The Fire

Disc 2
1. Magic Bus
2. Boris The Spider
3. Who Are You
6. The Kids Are Alright
7. Johnny Cash Interlude
9. Naked Eye
10.My Generation

Best time I saw The Who since Hammersmith Odeon Dec 1975. I think they played there the next year too. There was real passion and anger and you could tell it meant something coming back to their old stomping ground. Is the gig available to download anywhere as I'd love a copy. I'm also after the Watford Colisseum gig from 2002. Best version of Young Man Blues I ever saw.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 16, 2012 00:11

tatters
RUMORS: THE WHO TO ANNOUNCE "QUADROPHENIA" DATES SOON

7/6/2012

With a documentary about "Quadrophenia" making the rounds, reports are surfacing that surviving Who members Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey will take the rock opera on the road this year. Both men spoke about the tour last fall, when special editions of "Quadrophenia" were released; now rumors say an announcement is coming soon about a tour that will start this fall and last into 2013. It will be the first time they've performed "Quadrophenia" in its entirety since March 30, 2010 during a Teenage Cancer Trust benefit at Royal Albert Hall in London. There's no official word from the Who camp yet, however. Meanwhile, "The Who: Quadrophenia - Can You See The Real Me? - The Story Behind The Album" is set to run on July 24 in North American theaters, with a DVD release to follow. Townshend and Daltrey have also signed on to perform at the closing ceremony of the Summer Olympic Games on August 12 in London.

So Pino Palladino is gonna do "The Real Me"? Sorry, this is blasphemy.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 16, 2012 00:31

jazzbass
tatters

7/6/2012

With a documentary about "Quadrophenia" making the rounds, reports are surfacing that surviving Who members Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey will take the rock opera on the road this year. Both men spoke about the tour last fall, when special editions of "Quadrophenia" were released; now rumors say an announcement is coming soon about a tour that will start this fall and last into 2013. It will be the first time they've performed "Quadrophenia" in its entirety since March 30, 2010 during a Teenage Cancer Trust benefit at Royal Albert Hall in London. There's no official word from the Who camp yet, however. Meanwhile, "The Who: Quadrophenia - Can You See The Real Me? - The Story Behind The Album" is set to run on July 24 in North American theaters, with a DVD release to follow. Townshend and Daltrey have also signed on to perform at the closing ceremony of the Summer Olympic Games on August 12 in London.

You may know more than me. My alert for the appointment this week is totally blind

Date: July 16, 2012 00:46

Silver Dagger
stonesnow
ab

Disc 1
1. I Can't Explain
2. Substitute
4. Pinball Wizard
5. My Wife
6. Baba O'Riley
7. Pure And Easy
8. You Better, You Bet
9. Happy Jack
10.I'm A Boy
11.Getting In Tune
12.The Real Me
13.Behind Blue Eyes
14.Tattoo
15.After The Fire

Disc 2
1. Magic Bus
2. Boris The Spider
3. Who Are You
6. The Kids Are Alright
7. Johnny Cash Interlude
9. Naked Eye
10.My Generation

You can download Watford 2002 from here:

www.filestube.com/t/the+who+2002+watford

Date: July 16, 2012 00:48

tatters
stonesnow
tatters

For all practical purposes, The Who really did cease to exist on September 7, 1978. The fact that a Townshend solo album, Empty Glass, is the best thing to come from them since then attests to that. You can't make a similar comparison to Brian and the Stones because the Stones went on to even greater heights after Brian's departure. Entwistle wasn't talking about leaving the band in the 80s. There was no band left to leave. What he mainly did was to sit on his ass and wait for Pete to get the band back together, even though as far as Pete was concerned, there was no band anymore. John thought Pete owed him a living. Eventually, Pete came to believe it, too.

I like Endless Wire better than Empty Glass.

Date: July 16, 2012 01:28

From Toronto, December 17, 1982, the best solo Townshend ever played for this song imo (begins at 2:39)--just listen to that Fender Tele all drenched in (rainy) reverb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 01:29 by stonesnow.

Date: July 16, 2012 02:24

stonesnow
tatters
stonesnow
tatters

I like all of Pete's solo albums better than Endless Wire .... and that includes the one that kinda sucks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 02:34 by tatters.

Date: July 16, 2012 02:32

hbwriter
jazzbass
tatters

7/6/2012

You may know more than me. My alert for the appointment this week is totally blind

What I don't know, and am curious to find out, is Will they perform Quadrophenia as the "stripped-down" Who we've seen since 2000, or will this be more like "The Big Band" version of the Who that toured in 1989-90 and 1996-97, and if so, will Roger be handling all the vocals, or will there be various "cast members" helping him out?

Date: July 16, 2012 02:37

tatters
stonesnow
tatters
stonesnow
tatters

I like all of Pete's solo albums better than Endless Wire .... and that includes the one that kinda sucks.

i don't own any of petes solo stuff although i know like 7 or 8 tunes. can you tell me a little about each album and which albums are the best?

Date: July 16, 2012 02:50

tatters
stonesnow
tatters
stonesnow
tatters

You might like Endless Wire better if you thought of it as a PT solo album with special guests--good songwriting there, and Song for Marty Robbins was already released in instrumental form on Scoop 3. Perhaps if Pete releases Endless Wire demos as Scoop 5, then you might like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 03:34 by stonesnow.

Date: July 16, 2012 03:01

keefriffhard4life
i don't own any of petes solo stuff although i know like 7 or 8 tunes. can you tell me a little about each album and which albums are the best?

Start with 1982's All The Best Cowboys Have Chines Eyes:

White City is also great, and has collaborations with Dave Gilmour:

Pete Townshend's Deep End Live! is another good one:

And of course, not to leave out Empty Glass:

It's also worth mentioning the collections of demos: Scoop, Another Scoop, Scoop 3, and Scoop 4. These are demos of Who and solo songs, and all collections are outstanding.

Here's a demo of Eminence Front from Scoop 3:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 03:33 by stonesnow.

Date: July 16, 2012 04:42

it sucks pete townshend and ray davies have become pretty much hermits as far as new material goes. pete has 1 solo album and 1 who album in the last 22 years. ray davies has 2 solo albums, 1 kinks album, and a few random kinks and solo tunes that were singles or ep's or soundtrack tunes. two of the greatest songwriters of all time and yet virtually nothing since 1990 by either.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 16, 2012 04:46

stonesnow
From Toronto, December 17, 1982, the best solo Townshend ever played for this song imo (begins at 2:39)--just listen to that Fender Tele all drenched in (rainy) reverb.

I hate to be picky, but it's a Schecter Tele. I used to have one, black like Pete's.
There's another guitar I'm sorry I let go. To be honest, I hated Pete's tone on that tour. He switched cabinets. Hiwatt heads with Boogie cabs (like the Stones in '81 and '82). I was never a big fan of those Boogie cabinets. It is, though, a great solo. I remember when it was broadcast.

Date: July 16, 2012 05:06

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 05:43 by tatters.

Date: July 16, 2012 05:32

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 16, 2012 06:10

Date: July 16, 2012 06:17

whitem8

That's great. I really consider Pete's Lifehouse-era material to be the peak. Not just Pete's peak. Rock music's peak.

Date: July 16, 2012 09:39

tomk
stonesnow

I hate to be picky, but it's a Schecter Tele. I used to have one, black like Pete's.
There's another guitar I'm sorry I let go. To be honest, I hated Pete's tone on that tour. He switched cabinets. Hiwatt heads with Boogie cabs (like the Stones in '81 and '82). I was never a big fan of those Boogie cabinets. It is, though, a great solo. I remember when it was broadcast.

Oh, all right, if you must be that picky, then I suppose you must. I've been looking through videos of solos of Love Reign on that tour and they're similar, but not quite as great as in that show--he really nailed it on that date... however, to recall it is hardly nostalgia, because it makes me remember how I had a terrible flu that night, but I still tuned in on the radio...

Date: July 16, 2012 09:54

tatters
Entwistle wasn't talking about leaving the band in the 80s. There was no band left to leave. What he mainly did was to sit on his ass and wait for Pete to get the band back together, even though as far as Pete was concerned, there was no band anymore. John thought Pete owed him a living. Eventually, Pete came to believe it, too.

No, quite wrong. What you forget is that John and Roger came from the working class and they brought that ethic to their music--they just wanted to keep on working, unlike Pete, who in his Art School preciousness, treated it [the Who] as something,...well, precious. Even when the Who weren't working, Roger and John were out there with their solo tours because they felt they had to do something. Entwistle's family are grateful to Townshend for providing JE with a certain dignity as a working musician in later life to have kept on touring. He just wanted to work. You should read the later interview with Entwistle where he regrets having wasted his entire career on the Who, where he feels, a man of his talents, he should have become rich eslewhere, otherwise.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 16, 2012 09:57

I always thought Jones was pretty solid regarding his time with The Who, gig-wise.
Pete was the one who had the problems, drink and drugs mostly. The 1981 British tour was an ill-advised slog. Face Dances I blame on lousy production, but the material is great. Yet again, Pete's demos are better, especially You Better You Bet and Athena (Theresa).

Date: July 16, 2012 10:04

hb, perhaps as you're sitting down with Pete and Rog this week, maybe you could ask Rog one thing: How about a DVD version of McVicar? I was pleasantly surprised recently when I was able to obtain a CD version of the McVicar soundtrack. Amazing thing, as it's a virtual post-Moon Who CD. Though Russ Ballard does most of the writing, it is the only solo-member project where all Who members appear on it--though not all at once all one particular song, Rabbit, John, Pete, and Kenny Jones all have a hand in it. So, if you could, maybe ask Rog if there are any outtakes available from the soundtrack recording sessions, and if perhaps there might be a rerelease for the soundtrack on CD, an expanded version with extras and outtakes, and, if possible, whether there may ever be a DVD release of McVicar. It's been over 30 years since I've seen that film, and I'd love to see it again! It's one of Roger Daltrey's finest hours as a solo artist/actor.

Date: July 16, 2012 10:57

it looks like the only pete solo albums easily available for a decent price on cd are IRON MAN and Psychoderelict. what are peoples thought on these 2 albums? i know know the 2 songs the who performed on Iron Man and "english boy" on Psychoderelict.

Date: July 16, 2012 15:38

keefriffhard4life
it looks like the only pete solo albums easily available for a decent price on cd are IRON MAN and Psychoderelict. what are peoples thought on these 2 albums? i know know the 2 songs the who performed on Iron Man and "english boy" on Psychoderelict.

I have a fondness for Iron Man, but because the quality of his output (solo and with the Who) has been steadily diminishing since 1971, those are his two worst solo albums. Keeping that in mind, there's still plenty of cool stuff to be found at:

[www.eelpie.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 15:40 by tatters.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: July 16, 2012 17:24

Moony was very much key to The Who sound. Once he passed,
every lineup that succeeded him was another band.
Compare to Brian Jones, same result.

Frankly, Townsend and Co should've hung The Who to dry once
Entwhistle passed. Personally, I think their record, "Saturday's
Alright for Fighting", from, "Two Rooms", was great, but all further
recordings have soured the band's reputation.

Another LP? Call it, "Who Cares".

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 16, 2012 23:32

Funny that people are talking bout The WHO. Are the two persons stageready??

So you would accept :

Townshend+Daltrey= The Who
Page + Plant = Led Zep
Jagger+ Richards= The Stones are on tour ? winking smiley

Just came to my mind.
Zak Starkey did a great job by the way. He fitted well imo.

Tom

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 16, 2012 23:46

I saw the real Who, the Jones Who, the Starkey Who, and the Who Two. (My strangest Who concert -- the Boston Garden show where Keith fell onto his drum kit on the 3d song and the concert was cancelled because of "the flu.") IMHO, the band was never the same without Keith.

One unusual part of the Who was the four didn't play (and sing) together; they were constantly competing against each other on stage to be the center of attention. When it worked, which it usually did, it made for a greater and more exciting whole. Keith and John would usually play the melody; together or at each other, with Pete playing rhythm much of the time.

Kenny and Zak would recreate the drums, but they didn't have the sense of melody, effortless skill, and antic atentionmongering that was Keith. The energy level was lower.

I saw Neil Young's Bridge School benefit in 1999. The Who came on at midnight after Pearl Jam, Sheryl Crow, Green Day, Corgan & Iha, Tom Waits, Brian Wilson, etc. They were maybe 60% of what they once were. But they blew the roof off the joint, and were the highlight of the show.

I saw them again without Ox, promoting the last album. They were maybe 40% of what they once were. Still enjoyable, but not the same. Roger actually had to leave the stage for oxygen at one point.

I'd think long and hard before seeing them again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-17 17:18 by bam.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1380
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home