Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Tonight at the Iridium... Keith
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 3, 2012 20:26

hbwriter
to me the keith/charlie bond, in a sense, is the most sacred in the band - seems like just tons of trust and respect there with no egos involved - just music

"With no egos involved"

Except Keith's ego.

Date: July 3, 2012 20:32

hbwriter
Doxa
hbwriter
to me the keith/charlie bond, in a sense, is the most sacred in the band - seems like just tons of trust and respect there with no egos involved - just music

I agree. And I think it is more than just music there. I remember Philip Norman claiming his book that the reason why Charlie finally joined in permanently, was that he 'clicked' with Keith so well. A similar dry sense of humour or something, and neither being too extrovert. We have to remember that Keith was a really shy boy at the time - especially compared to naturally born stars like Brian and Mick - and I think Charlie was one of the first people who saw the potentiality Keith has, and he has respected him ever since. And the respect is surely mutual. They might not socialize too much these days, but that's suits to them and to their English mentality - when they do it, it is that funnier.

It is heart warming to listen Charlie describing Keith's way to work in STONES IN EXILE, making analogies to jazz musicians. And that is that high compliment I think one can get from Charlie Watts. Bll Wyman might cpmplain of Keith's junkie time and all that, but Charlie recognize there somethng that surpasses all those kind of mortal issues - the love for music and to right 'feel' no matter how much it takes and by anything... Those intuitions are beyond time and space.

- Doxa

I think i really noticed it in L&G - the way those two lock in during YCAGWYW, Love in Vain and several others - no rock star poses - just two hard working men in synch with each other and the business of what they are doing - radar signals bouncing around, developed over then-10 years worth of clubs, theaters and arenas - two very serious men pushing each other toward one goal

How romantic. But LIV on L&G is mainly a matter between Watts, Taylor and Jagger. Have a look at that moment when Charlie completely misses the beat and Jagger and Taylor react to that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 3, 2012 20:36

kleermaker
How romantic. But LIV on L&G is mainly a matter between Watts, Taylor and Jagger. Have a look at that moment when Charlie completely misses the beat and Jagger and Taylor react to that.

But Charlie was following Keith...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 3, 2012 20:45

Doxa
Charlie follows Keith.

I changed yer quote to make it more universal, cos really this musical relationship developed to become the core of The Rolling Stones sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-03 20:48 by His Majesty.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 3, 2012 20:47

and actually, I did not mean Love in Vain - i misspoke - still, the film, for me, is rife with little moments between those two - a matter of opinion, that's all

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 3, 2012 21:04

Another one from last night, courtesy of Iridum's facebook page.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: July 3, 2012 21:04

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-03 21:06 by Riffbuk.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 3, 2012 21:12

Flashback to the young cat attending the Ealing Club. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 3, 2012 21:15

Great pictures Juan, thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 3, 2012 21:47

Doxa
kleermaker

But Charlie was following Keith...grinning smiley

- Doxa

He should have followed Taylor's lead.

A real misunderstanding between Watts and Richards is the beginning of the Perth Gimme Shelter 1973. Nicky's birthday. Nicky played in the beginning instead of Taylor (as a honour to Nicky himself I assume). Maybe that confused Charlie. It took quite some measures before Charlie corrected himself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-03 21:48 by kleermaker.

Posted by: pinksuit ()
Date: July 3, 2012 22:08

JuanTCB

My, oh my - why do we have to get old... Like the pic, however, looks better then here:
[sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net]

Still, thank you for the pics and I guess I am afraid of those pics, because they make me realise I am turned rather mature myself slowly...

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 3, 2012 23:31

JuanTCB

He's glaring right at you, dude, as though he doesn't want you snapping him like that. Looks like he's about to point at you and warn you off--to tell you he'll be showing you the blade...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 3, 2012 23:35

stonesnow
JuanTCB

He's glaring right at you, dude, as though he doesn't want you snapping him like that. Looks like he's about to point at you and warn you off--to tell you he'll be showing you the blade...

Just be glad he doesn't have a telecaster strapped around his neck.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 3, 2012 23:42

They say that as you get older your nose and ears get bigger, he looks quite old in that picture.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 3, 2012 23:49

his ears were always big...they're not getting bigger...his face is getting smaller.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 4, 2012 00:04

His forehead is definitely getting bigger, that's for sure.

He looks pretty badass here. Much better than in the group shot I posted on the previous page, at least.

Date: July 4, 2012 00:32

StonesTod
his ears were always big...they're not getting bigger...his face is getting smaller.

His ears are getting bigger as well. It's typical for old men. The cartilage starts to grow. That's why. But his hearing gets worse.

Date: July 4, 2012 00:41

kleermaker
StonesTod

His ears are getting bigger as well. It's typical for old men. The cartilage starts to grow. That's why. But his hearing gets worse.

That's why old sharks can be so dangerous.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2012 00:45

....what about old elephants?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 4, 2012 00:51

Charlie looks lean and fit compared to Keith. Makes me wonder about Keith's health if he can't take that spare tire off.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 4, 2012 03:06

some other comments from my friend - he;s a pretty well-known guitarist that was in the circle last night - said keith in good spirits, after the show whispered a few things to charlie that totally cracked them both up - charlie to point of wiping a couple of tears away - did say that keith had a bit of hard time moving around - seemed like lots of aches and pains and creaks -while charlie, whom he has spent some time with the last two days, "glides" around - elegantly and smoothly - seems in very good shape compared to keith. Said Keith just has to take things slowly and he's okay

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 4, 2012 03:31

I think he feels safe with Charlie because Charlie never has a secret agenda, no one-upsmanship, no rivalry, just a solid bond.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 4, 2012 03:34

hbwriter
some other comments from my friend - he;s a pretty well-known guitarist that was in the circle last night - said keith in good spirits, after the show whispered a few things to charlie that totally cracked them both up - charlie to point of wiping a couple of tears away - did say that keith had a bit of hard time moving around - seemed like lots of aches and pains and creaks -while charlie, whom he has spent some time with the last two days, "glides" around - elegantly and smoothly - seems in very good shape compared to keith. Said Keith just has to take things slowly and he's okay

Allow me:

"Sounds like Keith's ready for a tour!"

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 4, 2012 03:46

hbwriter

It probably was that way - many many years ago. In more recent decades, a look behind the scenes reveals that Charlie is more Jagger's man than anybody elses, including Keith.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 4, 2012 03:49

JuanTCB

charlie looks great, keith looks utterly hideous

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 4, 2012 04:18

Keith always had big ears. Here you see he had them before he got his teeth fixed.

Date: July 4, 2012 08:16

His Majesty
Doxa
Charlie follows Keith.

I changed yer quote to make it more universal, cos really this musical relationship developed to become the core of The Rolling Stones sound.

So true. If people WANNA hear something else, that's fine. However, there is no doubt that the Richards/Watts-combo drives the Stones.

Date: July 4, 2012 13:54

alimente
hbwriter

It probably was that way - many many years ago. In more recent decades, a look behind the scenes reveals that Charlie is more Jagger's man than anybody elses, including Keith.

Even in the old days it was Jagger who told Charlie how to drum. Especially on his own songs, like for instance Sympathy FTD.

But the silent bond between Charlie and Keith leaves some room for great romance.

Date: July 4, 2012 14:00

melillo
JuanTCB

charlie looks great, keith looks utterly hideous

I think that is a bit unfair...Keith just needs to start doing situps.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 4, 2012 14:07

kleermaker
alimente
hbwriter

Even in the old days it was Jagger who told Charlie how to drum. Especially on his own songs, like for instance Sympathy FTD.

But the silent bond between Charlie and Keith leaves some room for great romance.

I guess speculating about who´s man Charlie has been,is or will be is the true great romance...

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home