Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Knebworth - the real reason they were late
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 30, 2012 16:36

According to The Times today.

Keith was "over-refreshed" and had to be taken to Knebworth House for a "rest".

Meanwhile the roadies sabbotaged 10cc's equpiment - "cut the cables" - so that the delay could be blamed on them.

Stones turn up evetunally with Keith looking like a "cadaver" on stage.

But everyone blamed 10cc.

Re: Knebworth - the real reason they were late
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 30, 2012 16:57

Yeah, but it has been known for ages . .

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 30, 2012 17:06

Scan the article or it didn't happen... winking smiley

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: June 30, 2012 17:12

Also Lynryd Skynyrd blew the Stones off their own stage.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 30, 2012 18:22

CousinC
Yeah, but it has been known for ages . .

Well I didn't know.

I always thought it was 10cc.

Makes more sense now.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 30, 2012 18:48

Drugs were likely involved in ANY event the Stones performed at in the 70's and 80's. "Over refreshed"? I can't even begin to get a visual of that one. Dead drunk maybe, probably just waiting for Freddie Sessler to show up with the coke....

What complete @#$%& for sabotaging another act to cover themselves. I wonder who's idea that was? A low point for this band.

Yep, The day belonged to Skynyrd, imho. peace

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: June 30, 2012 19:07

ChrisG

Oh no they didn't!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 30, 2012 19:22

According to LYNRD SKYNRD, they "blew the Stones off the stage". Would anyone who was there offer an opinion? (Probably this has been rehashed many times here)

Date: June 30, 2012 19:24

Harlem Shuffler
ChrisG

Oh no they didn't!

I say let's hear from the people who were there. Anyone? The cable cutting incident starts the Stones several notches BELOW ZERO in the voting, imho. peace

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 30, 2012 19:31

Is the cable cutting incident true or is it one of those stories made up by one of those Nick Kent types?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 30, 2012 19:36

Harlem Shuffler
ChrisG

Oh no they didn't!

I don't think they did either (was there), Skynyrd were a really decent support act but the Stones imo were definitely what they were billed as - The main act. The setlist was probaly the best ever (excepting maybe El Mocambo), a really satisfying long main course. The only way the day could have been bettered was if (imo) Skynyrd had swapped places with 10cc and they and the Stones' sets had more or less seagued.
Keith also "cut his finger on a razor blade". I don't know if this contributed to the delay. Stitches maybe ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-30 19:37 by EddieByword.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 30, 2012 20:08

"just waiting for Freddie Sessler to show up with the coke...."

Did Sessler ever venture outside of the North-American continent...? I have my doubts.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 30, 2012 20:08

Eddie, to put it nicely...you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Try living in today for a minute or two.

There are many fine Knebworth threads in the IORR archives that you can learn from.

Date: June 30, 2012 20:42

stonesrule
Eddie, to put it nicely...you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Try living in today for a minute or two.

There are many fine Knebworth threads in the IORR archives that you can learn from.

?.....I don't know what you mean, I was there, heard & saw what I heard & saw, enjoyed likewise and although L.S. were superb foreplay the Stones were multi-rhythm, peaks and grooves and prolonged just like any decent ....should be,
I have boots of both sets and my opinion hasn't changed retrospectively...(just wish the Stones one was a better quality recording)

Maybe you mean what I said about the razor blade maybe being a contributing factor to the lateness, I don't know that it was or wasn't. All I know about that is that Mick mentions it on stage..."Keith's cut his finger on a razor blade, poor little soldier". Other than that suggestion I have no idea born of personal experience about the reason for the delay. I did read a few years back - which is at the head of this thread today - that Keith was too "off it" to play. Maybe the situation with the razor blade contributed or maybe not, I don't know. As I say, just a suggestion. No problem if it in fact wasn't an issue. ??..

Quote: Try living in today for a minute or two.
I've got even less idea what you mean by that, I'm happy in the here & now. No problem for me.

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-02 15:05 by EddieByword.

Date: June 30, 2012 20:49

dcba
"just waiting for Freddie Sessler to show up with the coke...."

Did Sessler ever venture outside of the North-American continent...? I have my doubts.

In Life, Keith talks about him having a base of pharmacy operations, or was it some kind of experimental treatment centers somewhere in the Carribean. That's outside the continent strictly speaking. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-30 20:50 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 30, 2012 22:39

Thanks for the review Eddy. Seems you have something good to remember.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: terry ()
Date: June 30, 2012 23:03

I was there that day,and lynyrd skynyrd were great. Im sure they came on stage late afternoon.Hours before the stones.
10cc were on before the stones, and there set went on and on and on.
they drove us all mad, the crowd were shouting for them to f... off.
I lost count the amount of encores they done.
Im sure there was a very long wait for 10cc to come on,that then pushed the stones
back even later.
It was a great day but to me 10cc ruined it, by out staying there welcome.

Date: June 30, 2012 23:17

Rolling Hansie
Thanks for the review Eddy. Seems you have something good to remember.

Oh yes.....really excellent.............(previous post on reflection possibly TMI so deleted... grinning smiley .)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-01 14:42 by EddieByword.

Date: July 2, 2012 14:35

Naturalust
Drugs were likely involved in ANY event the Stones performed at in the 70's and 80's. "Over refreshed"? I can't even begin to get a visual of that one. Dead drunk maybe, probably just waiting for Freddie Sessler to show up with the coke....

What complete @#$%& for sabotaging another act to cover themselves. I wonder who's idea that was? A low point for this band.

I think Keith was kinda overdosed on smack. I was on part of the 76 tour and things like that happened a few times. Either too much or the stuff hadn't arrived, which could be even worse. I remember that at the beginning of the tour in the north of Germany.

After the off. tour I was in London when Knebworth happened. Couldn't make it to the gig but heard a lot about it later from people I knew.

You have to consider that Knebworth was very important to the Stones.
Their London Earls Court shows have had very bad reviews mainly because of bad sound and in those days the London gigs were the most important of a tour.
So the Stones were under pressure! They needed a good gig and especially good critics!

While they had done some rehearsing they still came out of a post-tour break and then keith was in a very bad shape. They tried to get more coke to make him wake up but somehow it all went wrong because of traffic, etc.
So the only option was to provide a break. And as it was more of a festival, things like these happened quite often in the 60/70's. Talk about competition . .

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 2, 2012 15:19

Keith demonises Brian for missing some shows due to, what seems to me, justifiable reasons, ie illness, not finding the venue on time etc...

But it's totally cool and funny to delay a show for hours and hours due to being strung out or smacked out. eye rolling smiley

Lucky for Keith that during his low points in 70's they had the option to delay shows, lucky for Keith that he had a whole organisation behind him ready to wipe his arse whenever he was too wasted or ill to do so himself.

I love the Rolling Stones... So very human and hypocritical. grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 2, 2012 15:38

EddieByword
Harlem Shuffler
ChrisG

Oh no they didn't!

I don't think they did either (was there), Skynyrd were a really decent support act but the Stones imo were definitely what they were billed as - The main act. The setlist was probaly the best ever (excepting maybe El Mocambo), a really satisfying long main course. The only way the day could have been bettered was if (imo) Skynyrd had swapped places with 10cc and they and the Stones' sets had more or less seagued.
Keith also "cut his finger on a razor blade". I don't know if this contributed to the delay. Stitches maybe ?

Skynyrd were totally brilliant but to blow the Stones off stage? Even when the Stones play sloppy they are absolutely brilliant live. And to get that set list - with at least 6 rarely played songs thrown in - well, it was amazing. You really had to be there.

Date: July 2, 2012 16:07

Silver Dagger
EddieByword
Harlem Shuffler
ChrisG

Oh no they didn't!

Skynyrd were totally brilliant but to blow the Stones off stage? Even when the Stones play sloppy they are absolutely brilliant live. And to get that set list - with at least 6 rarely played songs thrown in - well, it was amazing. You really had to be there.

Exactly!
Over the years this happened again and again.Every time another (support) band has success and plays good "they blew the Stones off the stage". Which is BS. Cause even when the Stones play weak they are still an event. But people often expect too much from them.
On the many tours i've seen there have been a lot of very good support bands but never have the Stones been blown off that stage . .

Posted by: Wendy ()
Date: July 8, 2012 19:29

The 1976 Rolling Stones Knebworth commemorative set includes for the next two weeks only the Knebworth 1976 festival T shirt. All the items, including the 6 CDs and 3 DVDs the set includes can be viewed on the following page

[www.rockmusicmemorabilia.com]

And the book written by the promoter (inc with the set) tells you the real reason they were so late on stage!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 8, 2012 19:39

Many people claim ACDC 'blew the Stones off the stage' at the SARS benefit.
I'm not a huge ACDC fan in the first place, but even if I was, I find this hard to believe.
Was anybody here at SARS who can chime in regarding this myth?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 8, 2012 19:40

Pity you won´t share your knowledge,just promoting this set again...

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 8, 2012 21:11

Hairball
Many people claim ACDC 'blew the Stones off the stage' at the SARS benefit.
I'm not a huge ACDC fan in the first place, but even if I was, I find this hard to believe.
Was anybody here at SARS who can chime in regarding this myth?

I was there. Both acts played good.

I think the crowd lost it's energy and no band was reviving that. A very fun day, but also a very long and HOT day.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 8, 2012 21:19

Load of rubbish, the Stones were not blown off the stage at all. Yes LS were very good but,....hey so are a lot of bands who play on a bill with headlining acts, if they were rubbish everyone would soon complain so.... I was there and i loved the Stones, every second of them, i can still remember dancing around a campfire in the very early hours of the morning to Around and around.

Lynard S were great but The Stones were even Greater!

Date: July 9, 2012 21:11

''Skynyrd were totally brilliant but to blow the Stones off stage? Even when the Stones play sloppy they are absolutely brilliant live. And to get that set list - with at least 6 rarely played songs thrown in - well, it was amazing. You really had to be there.''

-------------------------------

i think the quote about blowing the stones off the stage was from skynrds drummer, artimus pyle, and it might be in skynyrd's "Free Bird - The Movie".

skynyrd at this point was white hot, remember, and already had a strong reputation as a hot live act; the stones round that time were inconsistent performance wise

skynyrd was always consistent live and never sloppy, ronnie van zant would not have tolerated otherwise

its not s big stretch to wager LS really did blow the stones off the stage THAT night, they did for sure on 'freebird,' even with the stones long show and great setlist

i love the stones but at this one i'd say they were headliners in name only

that said you can't compare the two bands; its ridiculous. its like you cant compare jagger to gregg allman; you just cant

the stones had for more showmanship, yes, but i dont think, especially in 1976 and with keith for sure (or ronnie either) they could play lead guitar like any of the three skynyrd guys. especially not like steve gaines.

im sure the stones were great but skynryd at that point was a force to be reckoned with; i've also read about LS blowing the Who offstage too, when they opened for them

now for your enjoyment, from that concert in 1976 - T For Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-09 21:12 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: July 9, 2012 22:23

pinkfloydthebarber
''Skynyrd were totally brilliant but to blow the Stones off stage? Even when the Stones play sloppy they are absolutely brilliant live. And to get that set list - with at least 6 rarely played songs thrown in - well, it was amazing. You really had to be there.''

-------------------------------

i think the quote about blowing the stones off the stage was from skynrds drummer, artimus pyle, and it might be in skynyrd's "Free Bird - The Movie".

skynyrd at this point was white hot, remember, and already had a strong reputation as a hot live act; the stones round that time were inconsistent performance wise

skynyrd was always consistent live and never sloppy, ronnie van zant would not have tolerated otherwise

its not s big stretch to wager LS really did blow the stones off the stage THAT night, they did for sure on 'freebird,' even with the stones long show and great setlist

i love the stones but at this one i'd say they were headliners in name only

that said you can't compare the two bands; its ridiculous. its like you cant compare jagger to gregg allman; you just cant

the stones had for more showmanship, yes, but i dont think, especially in 1976 and with keith for sure (or ronnie either) they could play lead guitar like any of the three skynyrd guys. especially not like steve gaines.

im sure the stones were great but skynryd at that point was a force to be reckoned with; i've also read about LS blowing the Who offstage too, when they opened for them

now for your enjoyment, from that concert in 1976 - T For Texas

It appears that those, or at least the majority of people (I haven't read every post on this subject and there's at least one other thread about it) who were actually at Knebworth say the Stones weren't surpassed by Skynyrd and those who weren't there think that Skynyrd "blew them off the stage". For that expression to make sense, the Stones would have had to cut their set short because of the incessant booing and cries from the audience for Skynyrd to return. This did not happen.

I was there and, as I've said before, the Stones were great and write better songs than L.S. in my opinion so there was no contest.

Date: July 9, 2012 23:01

''It appears that those, or at least the majority of people (I haven't read every post on this subject and there's at least one other thread about it) who were actually at Knebworth say the Stones weren't surpassed by Skynyrd and those who weren't there think that Skynyrd "blew them off the stage". For that expression to make sense, the Stones would have had to cut their set short because of the incessant booing and cries from the audience for Skynyrd to return. This did not happen.

I was there and, as I've said before, the Stones were great and write better songs than L.S. in my opinion so there was no contest.''

---------

and whatever dude. many people here are partial to the stones in the first place, too. me included. skynyrd fans are gonna think otherwise. I like both bands, and lots of others. i wasnt there, but i've seen and heard recorded performances of both bands from there. i'll draw my opinions how i like, but thanks all the same. i do know many people at knebworth had no idea who LS even was.

''those who weren't there think that Skynyrd "blew them off the stage". For that expression to make sense, the Stones would have had to cut their set short because of the incessant booing and cries from the audience for Skynyrd to return. This did not happen.''

by the way 'blew off the stagee' is not to be taken literally, its a turn of phrase. like if a band 'blew the roof off the sucker,' the roof didn't really come off.

i know lots of people say ac / dc blew the stones off the stage at SARSstock in toronto, too, and many stones fans tend to defend the stone tepid performance; others dont. i wasn't at that one either, but the visual and recorded technology tells the story however which you want to see and hear it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-09 23:03 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home