Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Avory was never a Rolling Stone...
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 24, 2012 00:13

Elmo
'Mick Avory was never actually a member of the Rolling Stones as many--including Bill Wyman and Keith Richards--have claimed.'

Ok, if I read this right, two members of the band are wrong. They were there at the time, were you? Who has greater credibility here, two band members or someone else?

Actually, Bill Wyman wasn't there at the time--Dick Taylor was their bassist then. Taylor left in the fall, and Bill arrived soon after, with his free amps and cigarettes.

As the Stones archivalist, Bill relies heavily on press clippings, so like the rest of us, his only reference would have been the Jazz News article.

Tony Chapman and Bill Wyman had played together previously in the Cliftons, and Chapman was among the drummers who answered the ad in Melody Maker for Stones drummer in mid-'62.

That leaves Keith's assertion in his book Life... but somehow, in contrast to the lineup as listed in Jazz News, Tony Chapman's name got in there as the drummer at the first Stones gig and has been handed down through 5 decades of Stones lore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-24 00:26 by stonesnow.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2012 17:22

phd
treaclefingers
Ray Davies was never a Rolling Stone.

Mick and Ray : The Glimmer Twins !!!!

Dave and Ray, brothers from the same mother.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: June 24, 2012 18:19

stonesnow
Mick Avory still is an outstanding drummer, but never would have been the right one for the Stones anyway. For instance, Avory only first heard of Chuck Berry from Ian Stuart at the Bricklayers Arms rehearsals. Avory was mainly into jazz at the time.

So was Charlie. Anyway I thought it was Tony Chapman who had the honours of being the first Stones drummer.........

Date: June 24, 2012 18:44

thabo
stonesnow
Mick Avory still is an outstanding drummer, but never would have been the right one for the Stones anyway. For instance, Avory only first heard of Chuck Berry from Ian Stuart at the Bricklayers Arms rehearsals. Avory was mainly into jazz at the time.

So was Charlie. Anyway I thought it was Tony Chapman who had the honours of being the first Stones drummer.........

Yes, according to Keith:

www.timeisonourside.com/chron1962.html

Tony Chapman was their first regular drummer. In fact, it was through Chapman that Bill Wyman came to join the group, as Bill recalls:

www.examiner.com/article/bill-wyman-talks-about-his-rolling-stones-audition-and-announces-2011-tour-dates

Perhaps Keith confuses drummers for that first Marquee gig because both drummers [Chapman and Avory] were, in his words, "terrible." Avory "couldn't find that off beat" and Chapman played erratically, either too fast or too slow.

Date: June 24, 2012 22:13

After the Stones, Tony Chapman was in the Preachers, then the Herd, then another incarnation of the Preachers, which also included Peter Frampton.

www.davedeedozybeakymickandtich.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&Itemid=248

According to a recent Daily Mail article on the Stones, Tony Chapman is believed to be currently residing in Liverpool. Anyone here with a Liverpool directory? Perhaps someone could ring him up, obtain a quote, and solve the dilemma once and for all.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 25, 2012 06:42

avory was never a stone IMO nor was dick taylor

Posted by: NeverStopRockin ()
Date: October 11, 2012 16:01

stonesnow
lunar!!!
what about carlo little, geoff bradford, and dick taylor? don't they deserve their own threads too?....now, ricky fenson...no way! smiling bouncing smiley

No, Carlo Little came later--that's why the girls didn't like him! smiling smiley

Hmmmm!!! I loved him and that's why I was married to him for 37years until his untimely death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 16:03 by NeverStopRockin.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 11, 2012 17:11

NeverStopRockin
stonesnow
lunar!!!
what about carlo little, geoff bradford, and dick taylor? don't they deserve their own threads too?....now, ricky fenson...no way! smiling bouncing smiley

No, Carlo Little came later--that's why the girls didn't like him! smiling smiley

Hmmmm!!! I loved him and that's why I was married to him for 37years until his untimely death.

Finally someone using the big term 'love' with some true meaning... smileys with beer

Any stories to share?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 17:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: October 11, 2012 21:21

i believe he was still very young...63 if i remember correctly...?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 11, 2012 23:36

Let's have a separate thread for everybody that was never a Rolling Stone. I'll start: "Leon Trotsky was never a Rolling Stone".

Date: October 11, 2012 23:43

NeverStopRockin
stonesnow
lunar!!!

My comment wasn't meant to denounce him in any way, and I hope you haven't taken any offense--it was merely a bit of comedic repartee with another poster. Congratulations on your many years of marriage, and sorry to hear that he was gone too soon.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 13, 2012 10:18

phd
Mick Avory was an oustanding drummer. But Charlie is a the one.

So good in fact that Shel Talmy didn't trust him to drum on the early Kinks recordings - Bobby Graham drums on a large percentage of the 1964-65 material. I'm sure Avory improved, though.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1919
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home