Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: ABB or Some Girls
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 20, 2012 19:17

Still love ABB, great record.

SG bonus. The songs without "lifting" (or with minimum touches) are great. Still can't get used to the old/new ones.

In fact, I still play ABB a lot while I've played SG bonus, as a whole, probably twice since it was released.

C

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 20, 2012 19:18

stonesnow
71Tele
stonesnow
flilflam
I would get the ABB CD. The Stones probably already have about 400 songs published, and most of us are already familiar with most of them, if not all of them. Many are covers of other artists.

I am curious about what an invigorated writing team of Jagger, Richards, and maybe Wood would come up with. If half of them are keepers and the rest throwaways, I would be very pleased. The recent article in RS magazine states that the Stones sounded very sharp and tight in rehearsal.

Not beating up on SG, but I thought way too many had a country and western feel. Not my cup of tea.

Where is your sense of adventure?

Agreed on that point. The songwriting is stronger on ABB and the SG bonus disc is mostly B-sides. I would love new songs with the original rhythm section, but that likely won't happen. Still, one must admit, Daryl's bass on Rain Fell Down has a smooth-rolling jazzy flair that Bill Wyman would not have been able to master on that track.

The songwriting is stronger on ABB than SG? Darryl's bass better than Bill's? You are living in an Alternate Stones Universe. One I would not care to live in.
Some Girls bonus tracks "album" wears much more nicely on my ears than the last three studio efforts this band has managed to crank out in the last 20 years.

All I said was, Daryl [sorry if I'm spelling it with one 'R' but he's not a full member as yet] had a pretty slick and groovin' bass on Rain Fell Down, as Bill is primarily a rock and not jazz bass player.

Alright, Mr. Casey Kasem of the [Younger] Alternate Stones Universe--any hits on the Some Girls bonus disc as opposed to Bigger Gang? Let's assume both were released in 1980--and "Keep your feet in the ground, and keep reaching for your ass!"

Um, "hits"? being as they were extra tracks, that would basically guarantee that there were no hits. My point was that even Some Girls extra tracks are better than ABB.

Date: June 20, 2012 19:46

Considering how they chose to leave some of the better songs from the SG sessions from the SG extras disc as well as include ER session songs I'll go with ABB.

Even though the material, for the most part, is better on the SGE.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: June 20, 2012 22:05

so what Stones music do you like? Are you just a Mick Taylor guy and nothing else will do? Or what?

It just seems funny to me to be on a Rolling Stones forum and see someone so hostile to the Rolling Stones. That would be like if I joined a Bee Gees forum just so I could spend my time bashing the Bee Gees.

Just curious...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 21, 2012 02:29

MrMonte
so what Stones music do you like? Are you just a Mick Taylor guy and nothing else will do? Or what?

It just seems funny to me to be on a Rolling Stones forum and see someone so hostile to the Rolling Stones. That would be like if I joined a Bee Gees forum just so I could spend my time bashing the Bee Gees.

Just curious...

understandable. if i posted on a rod stewart forum i would be the same. i myself can't explain my feelings for dirty work, undercover or streets of love. yet i love them dearly!

C

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: June 21, 2012 02:55

I remember the video where MJ was teaching Ronnie how to play the ABB songs live and telling him to just play the rythmn straight ahead. I couldn't help but think how lame that was and is. It's great that MJ wrote most of the songs but playing dominate left channel (if I remember correctly) guitar on pretty much the whole album just leaves me cold. This is Keith's spot, Ronnie is the other and if required MJ background middle guitar.

This is the problem with a latter day Stones album, they don't write and record as a full band and so the magic moments almost never happen. They aren't a band anymore per se, just guys that get together every few years. Magic doesn't work that way. It's the price of success.

To maintain the Jagger/richards writing credit "pride" they loose the magic that Ronnie could have brought to the project. Imagine if they included 4 of Ronnie's best recent solo songs and molded them into Stones songs......

And I'm not stuck in the past I love new rock n roll.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 21, 2012 03:13

SG bonus material and the Exile bonus material are way better than ABB....way.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 21, 2012 04:27

Rip This
SG bonus material and the Exile bonus material are way better than ABB....way.

the exile bonus material some of the worst I ever heard. Lock it back up in the vaults.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: June 21, 2012 10:43

ABB.....horrible cover.....great album.
SG2.....good cover.......boring country outtakes, except two or three good ones!

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: June 21, 2012 11:16

MightyStonesStillRollin50
flilflam
I thought it might be interesting if we conducted a simple poll, to gauge the popularity of two of the most recent Stones CD's, A Bigger Bang and the 12 unreleased tracks of Some Girls. Since there are 16 songs on ABB, just mentally eliminate 4 which are not your favorites. Then make this decision. If I only had money to buy the one CD but not the other, which one would I purchase. To jog your memory, here are the songs:

ABB: Rough Justice, Let Me Down Slow, It Won't Take Long, Rain Fall Down, Streets of Love, Back of My Hand, She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake, This Place is Empty, Oh No, Not You Again, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh, I Nearly Died, Sweet Neo Con, Look What the Cat Dragged In, Driving Too Fast, Infamy (omit 4 songs)

Some Girls: Claudine, So Young, Do You Think I Really Care?, When You're Gone, No Spare Parts, Don't Be a Stranger, We Had It All, Tallahasee Lassie, I Love You Too much, Keep Up Blues, You Win Again, Petrol Blues

This poll could reveal nothing but it could be a barometer of what the typical Stones fan might want in a new CD (assuming there is one). Do we prefer, for instance, songs that remind us of the Stones in the seventies or do we want to see what is cooking in the minds of Jagger and Richards in 2012. I need to stop talking, as I could influence your opinion.

Not to beat up on ABB, but the Some Girls bonus tracks is the Stones album I have been dreaming for. If it were all new tracks it would have been a great album to retire on. I credit Don Was (thewasman) for steering them in the right direction.

+1

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: June 21, 2012 11:24

'Plundered my soul' alone is worth the Exile bonus. Best piece of Stones-music in years!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 21, 2012 14:00

Let's face it: The 2 best Stones albums during the last 30 years are the Exile bonus-CD and the Some Girls bonus-CD. If you stopped buying Stones albums in 1981:
Buy those 2 and you will cover everything essential during the last 30 years.

Date: June 21, 2012 14:08

Stoneage
Let's face it: The 2 best Stones albums during the last 30 years are the Exile bonus-CD and the Some Girls bonus-CD. If you stopped buying Stones albums in 1981:

Am I the only one who finds the Exile bonus-CD a bit boring?

The Some Girls-bonus disc was great, though.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 21, 2012 14:26

Stoneage

lucky me! i have them both! can't wait for the next 30 years!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 21, 2012 16:54

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Certainly doesn't get the heavy airplay around my headphones that Some Girls bonus and Brussels does. Having said that, nothing touches PMS, best single since Undercover Of The Night.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 21, 2012 18:48

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

No your not. I'm right there with you. Exile out takes are garbage. Punder My Soul is a joke.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 21, 2012 19:59

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

They are quite difficult to compare since they are completed so differently. SOME GIRLS B is almost like a new studio album, almost each track is a kind of 'real' new number, and it is 'easier' to listen. But EXILE B is like an extra material from very different sources just put together. Such alternate takes, or works in numbers in progress, a'la "Soul Survivor", "Loving Cup", "Good Time Women", are interesting to hear a few times, but I think will not survive very well in the long run. I think altogether EXILE B is very uneven, and the songs do not work very well together. "Plundered My Soul" is a modern day classic, and I like "Following The River" very much as well. The rest of 'new' songs I don't care.

Anyway, there hasn't been any longer any news of any other Bonus releases to come. It looks like the whole thing is buried under the 50th Anniversary thing. Maybe next year again?

- Doxa

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 21, 2012 20:24

I agree that there were 3-4 great tracks on each of the bonus-cd:s (Exile and SG). The other ones I can live without.
Put the good songs together on one CD, call it "Exile Girls" and it would be just perfect!

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: June 22, 2012 07:52

Nice topic
Comparisons are useless, but they are a lot of fun too.
SG bonus is a pretty solid album in its own. I think I Love You Too Much could have been a monster hit with proper radio airplay.
However, I've never had any problem with ABB. I even like Streets which seems to be the worst tune they've ever made (as far as this forum is concerned). Neo is probably the weakest song out of the album, but we have Radar as backup which is really good and should have been in the album.
So, tough to choose one over the other.
Having said that, I listen to ABB more often than SG B

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 22, 2012 09:08

..what about a bigger-bang with some girls.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: June 22, 2012 10:02

I would rather steal than forego buying both

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 22, 2012 12:26

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

They are quite difficult to compare since they are completed so differently. SOME GIRLS B is almost like a new studio album, almost each track is a kind of 'real' new number, and it is 'easier' to listen. But EXILE B is like an extra material from very different sources just put together. Such alternate takes, or works in numbers in progress, a'la "Soul Survivor", "Loving Cup", "Good Time Women", are interesting to hear a few times, but I think will not survive very well in the long run. I think altogether EXILE B is very uneven, and the songs do not work very well together. "Plundered My Soul" is a modern day classic, and I like "Following The River" very much as well. The rest of 'new' songs I don't care.

Anyway, there hasn't been any longer any news of any other Bonus releases to come. It looks like the whole thing is buried under the 50th Anniversary thing. Maybe next year again?

- Doxa

Yes, it's a shame, that they do not seem to continue - or that the pause is so long (it hopefull just is a pause). I really looked forward to a Goats Head Soup B. And what about the Scarlett-track?

Date: June 22, 2012 14:33

Meise
I would rather steal than forego buying both

stealing is the only sensible approach in these daze of free illegal downloads.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2012 16:18

Rockman
..what about a bigger-bang with some girls.....

derty. you could do it undercover of the night.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: June 22, 2012 18:21

Ofcours Some Girls is a very good album one of the best Stones albums ever. However it has throughout the album the same sense to it the same sound landscape. And you do need to be in the right mood to appreciate that landscape, it just doesn't always fit to put it on. A Bigger Bang on the other hand is much more variant and if you listen carefully to it, is been put brilliantly together. All in all I play a Bigger Bang much more than Some Girls and so clearly therefor I have to come to the conclusion that on average I like a Bigger Bang more than Some Girls

Date: June 22, 2012 18:40

thabo
Ofcours Some Girls is a very good album one of the best Stones albums ever. However it has throughout the album the same sense to it the same sound landscape. And you do need to be in the right mood to appreciate that landscape, it just doesn't always fit to put it on. A Bigger Bang on the other hand is much more variant and if you listen carefully to it, is been put brilliantly together. All in all I play a Bigger Bang much more than Some Girls and so clearly therefor I have to come to the conclusion that on average I like a Bigger Bang more than Some Girls

these are your closing arguments before the jury adjourns?

ok - so let's have 12 angry men have it out now....

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: June 22, 2012 18:42

StonesTod
ABB is a monument in the anals of recorded music...a testimony to what's achievable in modern rock'n'roll with the right amount of dedication, perserverence and resolve.

".....anals....." ? Hmmmmm. A satirical comment or just a misspelling?

Date: June 22, 2012 18:46

Roscoe
StonesTod
ABB is a monument in the anals of recorded music...a testimony to what's achievable in modern rock'n'roll with the right amount of dedication, perserverence and resolve.

".....anals....." ? Hmmmmm. A satirical comment or just a misspelling?

mite just be a mispelling or sumthin'....

Date: June 22, 2012 18:51

jamesjagger
'Plundered my soul' alone is worth the Exile bonus. Best piece of Stones-music in years!

I agree. I Ain't Signifying is fantastic as well. The SG extra has some stellar tracks on it too of the same level - No Spare Parts and Do You Think I Really Care are great.

Date: June 22, 2012 18:54

i think the amount of kudos the sg and exile outs are getting here are a reflection of relative quality (or lack thereof) of music the stones have produced in the past 3 decades more than anything else. a reminder of how great this band was during the seventies....

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home