Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: punk britannia
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 14, 2012 23:54

Braincapers
loog droog
stonesnow
[
I don't mean to be negative about Idol, but I think the legacy of the Clash is stronger.

Agree 100%

I agree too. But I suspect Billy sold a lot more records.

You suspect correctly. The Clash only really broke through with record sales here in the States with Combat Rock. Rock The Casbah made it to number 5 in the charts. Should I Stay Or Should I Go had to be released twice before peaking at number 39 and disappearing. Before that, Train In Vain may have been top 20 or top 30. I think it made number 14 in 1980.

Billy Idol made you want to buy his records and sing or hum along to his melodic pop hooks. The Clash made you want to form a band of your own.

Date: June 15, 2012 00:08

stonesnow
Braincapers
loog droog
stonesnow
[
I don't mean to be negative about Idol, but I think the legacy of the Clash is stronger.

Agree 100%

I agree too. But I suspect Billy sold a lot more records.

You suspect correctly. The Clash only really broke through with record sales here in the States with Combat Rock. Rock The Casbah made it to number 5 in the charts. Should I Stay Or Should I Go had to be released twice before peaking at number 39 and disappearing. Before that, Train In Vain may have been top 20 or top 30. I think it made number 14 in 1980.

Billy Idol made you want to buy his records and sing or hum along to his melodic pop hooks. The Clash made you want to form a band of your own.

Correction on chart placings. The three charted U.S. singles: Train In Vain no. 23; Rock The Casbah no. 8; and Should I Stay Or Should I Go? no. 45. So, Braincapers, Should I Stay Or Should I Go? was number 1 in the UK? Well, it was always number 1 with me.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 15, 2012 00:11

stonesnow

That's a great summing up. Although I did briefly want to be Billy's guitarist Steve Stevens after the Rebel Yell video because he looked so cool.

Date: June 15, 2012 01:03

Dead Boys and GGAllin, thats punk. Blondie up my arsesmoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2012 01:12

careful those in grown hairs in that area can be a danger to ya health ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 15, 2012 01:28

stonesnow
So, Braincapers, Should I Stay Or Should I Go? was number 1 in the UK? Well, it was always number 1 with me.

It's brilliant and a true classic. But it got to no.1 10 years after it was recorded only after being used in a TV ad.

Date: June 15, 2012 08:39

anti nowhere league,UK Subs, Angelic upstartssmoking smiley

Posted by: iggy.pop ()
Date: June 15, 2012 15:31

stonesnow
Billy Idol never opened for the Who.

Maybe, but he played with them during the '89 Tour. He was cousin Kevin in Tommy at LA & London.

Date: June 15, 2012 20:37

iggy.pop
stonesnow
Billy Idol never opened for the Who.

Maybe, but he played with them during the '89 Tour.

Yes, but so did Phil Collins.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: June 15, 2012 23:19

Ofcourse it started all in the US with Stoogies and the Ramones, developed further in the UK at the end of the 70's, but reached it's zenith in the early 80's with the Nederpunk.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home