Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
half O:T are you interested in classical Music??
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 12, 2012 21:27

Well, i am a fan of the 60th,70th pop-Rock Music,but in the last ten years I hear more in the classic!! Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, strauss, and many more. I think that has two reasons:

1. I am 58

2. I like the guitar-Bands, never can go to the music , which is called "HipHop", "House","Rap" or "heavy Metal" and many more.

My Fav.-group since 1964 are the Rolling Stones!

.... but when i hear the nowadays "Top twenty" i will go to classic-music

Re: half O:T are you interested in classical Music??
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 12, 2012 21:37

I definately appreciate clasical music but am woefully under educated on the subject. Besides playing a few Bach numbers on mandolin I haven't really explored the whole world of classical. Vivaldi 4 seasons was the last classical record I bought.

Somehow the whole symphony music can get a little much for me but I am always open to hear new things which move me. What do you suggest to listen to to delve further into this genre? I'm all ears. peace

Posted by: Sabo ()
Date: June 12, 2012 21:40

Sure... Classic ROCK!

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: June 12, 2012 21:53

Naturalust
I definately appreciate clasical music but am woefully under educated on the subject. Besides playing a few Bach numbers on mandolin I haven't really explored the whole world of classical. Vivaldi 4 seasons was the last classical record I bought.

Somehow the whole symphony music can get a little much for me but I am always open to hear new things which move me. What do you suggest to listen to to delve further into this genre? I'm all ears. peace

Most newcomers to classical music would want to start with Mozart, who really invented the musical "riff", that was copied by popular music. Any Mozart's Greatest Hits album would be a good start. If you don't like Mozart, you probably won't like any classical music.

If you are looking for raw musicianship, listen to some CDs by the violinist Jascha Heifetz, esp. Beethoven or Mendelson Violin Concertos. It is fair to call Heifetz the "Jimi Hendrix" of the violin. lots of fireworks when he plays.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-12 22:23 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:39

love the classics. vivaldi is my fave. and i'm 73. or something.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:45

Naturalust

Go to a big performance of one of Mozart's great three Italian operas (Le Nozze di Figaro, Don Giovanni, Cosi Fan Tutte) and you don't know what's happening with you. It's an almost indescribable experience. Believe it or not.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:50

There is a treasure trove of great classical and baroque music available. Where to start? I have been listeing to Bach's Six Suites for Cello as interpreted by Paolo Pandolfo. Sublime...

Posted by: JackFlash68 ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:54

No

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 12, 2012 22:54

Classical music is essential, it is full of live, it is moving and a fountain of joy. You have the great composers but the smaller elements like classical guitar are wonderful as well. There are so many things to discover!

Date: June 12, 2012 22:58

JackFlash68
No

what can i do to put you into a nice, new puccini opera?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:15

Favorite composer over all is JS Bach. Probably from having performed so many of his choral works in choir over the years but also, after having performed his Cello Suite No. 1 as part of my senior recital (electric bass), I love it when the opening movement is featured in MANY movies. Although I've never gone out and bought a copy, I hear Yo Yo Ma burns it up. Heck, anything I've ever heard Yo Yo Ma touch musicaly with his cello has always been worth listening to.

Personally, I think a great introduction to classical music is Walt Disney's movie "Fantasia". I know that sounds funny but even though I had been listening to the music for years before I saw the movie, something about that movie fired me up. To this day, as much as I enjoy Bach's Tocatta & Fugue in D Minor on the pipe organ the way it was composed, I still prefer the orchestrated arrangement used in the film. Also in the soundtrack are works by Tchaikovsky (sections of the Nutcracker), Stravinsky (Rite of Spring), Beethoven (Pastoral Symphony), Mussorgsky, Schubert & others. Although most of the works are condensed arrangements, in my opinion they stand well on their own or as a part of the movie. Movie also includes the original Mickey Mouse short "The Sorcerers Apprentice".

Fantasia DOESN'T include any Vivaldi, Mozart or Handl, which is a shame, but as someone else mentioned, greatest hits albums aren't hard to find. I think I bought a 30 disc collection of various composers "Greatest Hits" for apx. $25 a few years back & enjoy listening to it whenever it comes up in rotation.

Opera doesn't really do much for me. While I love many of the instrumental parts, something about that fat lady singing and it's pretty much over for me. That being said, I do have a friend who is a professional opera singer and I find that if I go to see him perform, something about the personal connection to the performance makes it a bit more enjoyable.

If you think you can get past your own preconceptions, I highly recomend chcking out your local symphony or orchestra for the experience & sheer artistry of the performers. You may be surprised by your reaction. I know I was surprised by mine. Believe me, I find it a much easier jump from the Stones to Symphonic/Opera than to Rap/Hip-Hop.

Happy listening!

Peace
Mr DJA

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:33

Isn't Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker a rite of passage for most four-year-olds? My parents took me to a stage production when I was a kid. I also saw it on TV a year later. I've liked classical music ever since. (I saw a production recently and it was great seeing all these little kids in the audience dressed up in satin gowns and jackets-and-ties.)

The Doors' Box Set includes their 1968 rendition of Tomaso Albinoni's neo-baroque Adagio in G Minor (composed in 1708). It was one of Jim Morrison's favorite pieces of music:

The Doors' version:

Traditional version:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 07:12 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:39

kleermaker
Naturalust

Go to a big performance of one of Mozart's great three Italian operas (Le Nozze di Figaro, Don Giovanni, Cosi Fan Tutte) and you don't know what's happening with you. It's an almost indescribable experience. Believe it or not.

thumbs up I saw Don Giovanni in a small, outdoor setting with no staging, costumes or props. Just a small orchestra and a small group of vocalists. kleermaker describes better above in three sentances than I did in a paragraph earlier in the thread. Kudos.

Another thought for the musicians out there... Depending on what you play, try performing some classical music sometime. I performed many violin & cello pieces on electric bass guitar in college and LOVED it! Also, though joining a symphony may be impractical, if you can sing, there's a chance that you might be able to participate in a performance of Handel's "Messiah". I was lucky enough to be a part of a couple of these performances when I was younger and can tell you, kleermaker's description above comes close, but words can't quite describe the feeling of making great music with THAT many people participating. AWESOME!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 12, 2012 23:55

There's at least as much classical music, in at least as many different genres, as there is popular music. They're as different as country from hip-hop or punk from zydeco - you won't like it all, and you don't need to try - there's 500 years' worth of the stuff to choose from.

Do you have a classical radio station within range? Listen to it and follow up on whatever appeals to you. Hunt around YouTube: there's some excellent stuff on there. Find out what performances are going on in your area and go and do some live listening: I love lots of classics on disc, but never appreciated Mozart until I heard him played live by an amateur orchestra in a local church. Like rock and roll, it doesn't have to be some world-famous artist: the classical equivalent of your local bar band can be absolutely wonderful. Most classics came before recording, and many were originally written for performance by fairly ordinary musicians.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 13, 2012 00:08

Date: June 13, 2012 00:11

I will have to put in a plug for mog.com. I think it is free to try and $5 a month after that. They have easily 250,000 different albums there, including lots and lots of classical, jazz and rock. They have the entire Stones ABKCO and RS label catalog but not their most recent output.

It is at 320 bps and features albums not like Pandora.

In the olden days it would cost $1000s of dollars to get a record library like that.

As far as classical music radio, this is one that I like and streams 320bps

[ipr.interlochen.org]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 00:16 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 13, 2012 00:13

Yes, I'm interested in classical music: e. g. Bach, Brahms, Rachmaninow, Tschaikowsky, Bruckner, Mahler, Schostakowitsch, Sibelius, Penderecki ...

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 13, 2012 00:52

Havo
Well, i am a fan of the 60th,70th pop-Rock Music,but in the last ten years I hear more in the classic!! Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, strauss, and many more. I think that has two reasons:

1. I am 58

2. I like the guitar-Bands, never can go to the music , which is called "HipHop", "House","Rap" or "heavy Metal" and many more.

Most people who hear music from the classical music era (1775-1800) have never actually heard classical music. You've never truly heard Mozart--he's been dead over 200 years and his composing life predates the modern age of music recording. All the people who heard Mozart perform are long gone. Even the instruments have changed--Mozart played on period instruments sounds strikingly different to the cover versions available to us today. At least after the Stones et al. are done and dusted, there will still be the recordings.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 13, 2012 01:01

Much thanks for the suggestions! Wow. I can feel excitment and joy radiating out of most people's posts here, that is enough to make me very anxious to dig in. This could get interesting and I have the feeling it's going to change me. peace

Date: June 13, 2012 01:17

stonesnow
Havo

1. I am 58

Most people who hear music from the classical music era (1775-1800) have never actually heard classical music.

i guess i'm just one of the lucky ones...

Date: June 13, 2012 01:44

stonesnow
Havo

1. I am 58

Most people who hear music from the classical music era (1775-1800) have never actually heard classical music. You've never truly heard Mozart--he's been dead over 200 years and his composing life predates the modern age of music recording. All the people who heard Mozart perform are long gone. Even the instruments have changed--Mozart played on period instruments sounds strikingly different to the cover versions available to us today. At least after the Stones et al. are done and dusted, there will still be the recordings.

There are actually versions of Beethoven and Mozart that are recorded using period instruments, if that is what you like. Certainly, the musicianship would be much better now, because these are orchestras with musicians selected from throughout the world. My guess is it sounds much better than it did before .. and who could afford to a go to a concert in the 18th Century? I don't think the latest output of the Stones is that interesting, compared to classical.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 01:46 by mitchflorida1.

Date: June 13, 2012 01:45

StonesTod
stonesnow
Havo

1. I am 58

Most people who hear music from the classical music era (1775-1800) have never actually heard classical music.

i guess i'm just one of the lucky ones...

Ah, but you're too self-deprecating, sir! I like Vivaldi myself, the compositions for classical guitar especially. I used to have a cassette version, which shows how long it's been since I've listened to such music. Vivaldi is like aural splashes of sunlight. Melody and minimalism all in one. I may have to go purchase a CD now...

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 13, 2012 02:15

I'm far from an expert but I do like certain classical music.

Igor Stravinsky & Edgar Varese (Thanks to mr Zappa)
Paganini, Brahms, Ravel, Bartok.

Vintage classical vinyl can often be found in the UK for peanuts.
I've picked up many highly regarded releases this way including some stone mint imported LPs on Columbia Masterworks & Deutsche Grammaphon from the 1950s and early 60s.

Date: June 13, 2012 02:33

mitchflorida1
stonesnow
Havo

1. I am 58

There are actually versions of Beethoven and Mozart that are recorded using period instruments, if that is what you like. Certainly, the musicianship would be much better now, because these are orchestras with musicians selected from throughout the world. My guess is it sounds much better than it did before .. and who could afford to a go to a concert in the 18th Century? I don't think the latest output of the Stones is that interesting, compared to classical.

In my post, I was merely being facetious. Nobody has really literally heard Mozart and Beethoven and the rest, but only interpretations. Perhaps my attempt at humor here is a bit dry, especially in mere print. But to address a couple of your points, yes I've heard bits of pieces recorded on period instruments and was struck by how different the sound and approach was from modern instruments, and though I haven't really listened much to this type of music in the last 20 years, I suppose I'm partial to the modern approach--Academy of St. Martin in the Fields was always a favorite of mine for listening to Mozart. For Rachmaninoff, I prefer Julius Katchen's fluid approach to piano.

As for concerts in the 18th century, I suppose one didn't have to bother so much. In the day, this was music for the vernacular, and beginning in the Rennaissance it was increasingly common to own and play instruments in the home. Sheet music was very popular until recently. In Tony Palmer's film All My Loving (1968), Paul McCartney was telling of how he was in a London taxi and was asking the driver about the (Mozart?) sheet music he had in the front of the cab, and the driver was telling him, "Oh, you won't like this. That's high class, that."

Which brings me to my final point on the subject--the latter day snob appeal of symphonic music, the ritzy-titzy halls the music is played in. Who can afford the price of a concert ticket in the 21st century? The price of the wardrobe alone for a night out would cost a month in wages. Symphonic music is no longer the music of the vernacular. As McCartney stated in Palmer's film, "Rock music is the classical music of today."

Date: June 13, 2012 03:05

Here is where Led Zeppelin intersects with classical music. Could be Charlie Watts on drums.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 13, 2012 05:45

StonesTod
love the classics. vivaldi is my fave.

thumbs up

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: June 13, 2012 05:48

I'm a product of the classical musical education, but I still love the "classic" rock: Beatles, Who, Stones.

If you want to listen to classical music always go to the good ones. Don't waste your ears in crap. Keep in mind that the relationship between Mick Taylor and Steve Vai is almost the same than Beethoven and Strauss. One is deep, the other just fireworks.

Just take a look a this one. Sadly Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau leave us past month, but his art will remain always with us. Of course, Schubert's art too.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 13, 2012 05:56

For me, everything starts and ends with Beethoven. A pure genius that has no equal.

I do love opera. My favorite is "Cavalleria Rusticana" by Mascagni.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 13, 2012 06:00

Yeah I love classica. I am not that well read on it, but love it and have some. Beethoven's work is amazing. I remember when I was traveling playing music in Eastern Europe in 1990 I saw that the Hungarian Radio Chior was playing in Budapest, so I spent a grand fifty cents and sat in front of the pianist. I had no idea what they were doing and they barraged my senses with Beethovens Symphonia in C minor. With a full chior, I had never heard it before, and was stunned. It was so beautiful I had tears in my eyes and wished I was sharing that "ah ha" moment with someone else.

I really like Rachmanov as well.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 13, 2012 06:20

Beethoven's greatness has many examples but to sum it up in one minute, have a listen to the great Claudio Arrau as the soloist in Beethoven's Piano Concerto No.5. E Flat Op 73, and the London Symphony Orchestra. Just listen to the powerful opening movement the "Allegro" and you will be hooked for the other 44 minutes. It was Beethoven's last piano concerto.

I'm looking forward to this fall's Beethoven Piano Concerto No.5 the "Emperor" to be performed by the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home