Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Lies
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 13, 2012 00:05

Heard of Pete but never of Bob Seeger...

Anyway,Lies isn´t the best song on Some Girls...but I Like it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 13, 2012 00:10

shortfatfanny

don't scare me...that was too close for comfort

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 13, 2012 00:14

StonesTod
shortfatfanny

don't scare me...that was too close for comfort

I would never dare to scare you.....
hmmm....should´ve said Lies is a good song but there are far better on Some Girls.
Damned...I trapped myself.

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: June 13, 2012 00:42

id say my 3rd favorite song on Some Girls behind Beast of Burden and Shattered

GREAT riffing from Keith and Ronnie plays some very nice leads

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 13, 2012 01:40

Love "Lies". It fits perfectly with the vibe of the album. Is it the most important song on the album? No, but "Turd On The Run" isn't important either, and I love that one too.

Date: June 13, 2012 10:30

Doxa
Almost all people here, liking the song or not, seem to rate "Lies" as the weakest song in the album. Me too. It is a filler per se. I have never liked it very much but still it needs to be in that album if SOME GIRLS is supposed to be SOME GIRLS...grinning smiley

Let me explain. SOME GIRLS were reaction to the punk and "Lies" is probably is the only song that actually pretends to be a punk song. Played damn fast and lyrically exactly that... Of course it does end up sounding like really real punk - you never can get that out of the band whose rhythm section consists of Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Keith Richards. No way. grinning smiley "Lies" is the closest you will get from those guys, if they develop their delicated rhythm&blues groove into that direction (it goes clearly further than the other three-guitar 'faster faster faster' attacks on the album - I can hear Jagger exactly in this song shouting that order to his rhythm section!).

There were better songs in SOME GIRLS sessions. Even the bonus album is a manifestation of that. But I can understand why they chose "Lies" instead. The song is a statemennt of the nature of the album. Just think of if it had been replaced by some of those country&western songs they seemed to create so easily at the time? It might been song-wise even a better album is some sense then, but no way that would have given SOME GIRLS a statement-like reputation it had at the time. There were already enough c&w influences in the album. So an energetic, three-guitar attack, lyrically naive in purpose, was the stuff they wanted to do, and not just aim their market to Nashville.

So I claim that "Lies" is an important filler for SOME GIRLS - it really sets the special mood the album has. Clearly it is a Jagger song in the sense that he has tries to follow the trends, and actually is not ending up that convincing at all (something we would get used to during the 80's). But who cares, during that punk era, even not being too convincing, even failing, was a rather punk thing to do... just give it a try, man... "FASTER, FASTER, FASTER!!">grinning smiley<

- Doxa

LOL! Have you read the thread? I think it's more like 50/50 smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 13, 2012 11:11

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Almost all people here, liking the song or not, seem to rate "Lies" as the weakest song in the album. Me too. It is a filler per se. I have never liked it very much but still it needs to be in that album if SOME GIRLS is supposed to be SOME GIRLS...grinning smiley

Let me explain. SOME GIRLS were reaction to the punk and "Lies" is probably is the only song that actually pretends to be a punk song. Played damn fast and lyrically exactly that... Of course it does end up sounding like really real punk - you never can get that out of the band whose rhythm section consists of Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Keith Richards. No way. grinning smiley "Lies" is the closest you will get from those guys, if they develop their delicated rhythm&blues groove into that direction (it goes clearly further than the other three-guitar 'faster faster faster' attacks on the album - I can hear Jagger exactly in this song shouting that order to his rhythm section!).

There were better songs in SOME GIRLS sessions. Even the bonus album is a manifestation of that. But I can understand why they chose "Lies" instead. The song is a statemennt of the nature of the album. Just think of if it had been replaced by some of those country&western songs they seemed to create so easily at the time? It might been song-wise even a better album is some sense then, but no way that would have given SOME GIRLS a statement-like reputation it had at the time. There were already enough c&w influences in the album. So an energetic, three-guitar attack, lyrically naive in purpose, was the stuff they wanted to do, and not just aim their market to Nashville.

So I claim that "Lies" is an important filler for SOME GIRLS - it really sets the special mood the album has. Clearly it is a Jagger song in the sense that he has tries to follow the trends, and actually is not ending up that convincing at all (something we would get used to during the 80's). But who cares, during that punk era, even not being too convincing, even failing, was a rather punk thing to do... just give it a try, man... "FASTER, FASTER, FASTER!!">grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Okay, you might be right. But still in democratic terms in a pool/site like this, that's quite strong result, isn't it? (besides those of keen on particular songs are more keen on contribute to Rene's threads; that's my observation.)

- Doxa

Date: June 13, 2012 11:18

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Okay, you might be right. But still in democratic terms in a pool/site like this, that's quite strong result, isn't it? (besides those of keen on particular songs are more keen on contribute to Rene's threads; that's my observation.)

- Doxa

Yeah, you're right. I made the observation, because this is the song stones fans previously loved to hate. That's why I found it interesting that many of the fans finally are naming Lies as their "guilty pleasure" smiling smiley

Lies is fun, groovy, fast, rocking and total, lovely unpretentiousness thumbs up

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 13, 2012 14:48

DandelionPowderman
Lies is fun, groovy, fast, rocking and total, lovely unpretentiousness thumbs up

i love you

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 17, 2012 03:19

Lies is too fast for my taste. I mean its ok but I feel its the weakest cut on the album. That said to have a song that is relatively good speaks volumes about the rest of the album

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: June 17, 2012 03:41

Great Great throwaway song. Like Dance little Sister

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 17, 2012 11:20

doubledoor

I like this comparison, like Tele's "Turn on the Run". We could say there is a concept like a 'suitable throaway song' or something: a song that goes on very well with the mood or vibe of the album which might not stand particularly well by its own or in some different album/context. I would add "Hey Negrita" and probably "Coming Down Again" there as well.

- Doxa

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 17, 2012 11:48

doubledoor

Hold it! Dance little sister is gold.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 28, 2015 04:28

Listened to this today for the first time in a while. It's such a great kick-ass tune. Now on to Respectable, another round!

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: February 28, 2015 08:28

It ain't much of a melodic song that's for sure but Jagger got it spot-on with his ranted message about being drip-fed lies in books and in the news media. Saddly something that is becoming more relevant now than when it was released in 1978.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: February 28, 2015 08:38

Rocknroll1969
Worst song on Some Girls.

And one of the worst songs in the whole catalogue.

Date: February 28, 2015 10:24

One of their hardest-rocking songs ever. Love it!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 28, 2015 10:54

The boys go Punk again. As I like it ...

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: February 28, 2015 11:36

ultimate rocker "id say my 3rd favorite song on Some Girls behind Beast of Burden and Shattered"

Agree

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 28, 2015 13:18

Lies upon lies upon lies upon lies upon lies upon lies!

At least I think that's what he's saying.

Anyway how could you not like the classic lyrics:

Lies, lies you dirty jezebel
Why, why, why, why don't you go to hell?

And that guitar riff, wow!

Love it!!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 28, 2015 13:25

Jagger has a rock in his shoe. Full of lies, aggression, and anxiety. History, romance, family, all lies. Now his friend who has been in the midst of a long narcotic holiday is starting to perk up. Starting to pay attention to what is actually going on around him. Jagger senses this and spits the lyrics at the mike. Lovely punk. Reminiscent of Get off My Cloud. Modernized and injected by punks who wished they could swagger like the golden garage band the Stones were. And on Some Girls became again.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 28, 2015 20:12

There are so many great "Track Talks" but Lies confused smiley man!!! I hate this tune

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: February 28, 2015 20:52

[video]

[/vide

possibly the inspiration for this song...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 28, 2015 21:56

A blast from the past. This tune definitely captures some of the fast tempo and energy of the punk stuff happening at the time. I think that was it's purpose. But as a Stones song it doesn't really hold up for me. I think it was just a statement of the times..."hey we can play punk too". It's obvious in retrospect that the Stones were never truly a punk band and looking at songs like Lies it just seems they were lost for direction and letting the music of the day guide them.

Their ability to distill genres down to the essence like they did with early rock and roll, country and 70's rock is one of their special talents but I'm not sure they succeeded with punk. Lies is probably as close as they got but they didn't go far enough to be truly punks, maybe they were just too good of musicians to pull it off. smoking smiley peace

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 28, 2015 22:04

Awful tune. One of their worst.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-28 22:04 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 28, 2015 22:59

roundnround
[video]

[/vide

possibly the inspiration for this song...

Interesting. With the Ramones' 53rd and 3rd being the probable inspiration for When the Whip Comes Down, and Mick's talking about the Sex Pistols during the SOME GIRLS sessions (see the book KEITH RICHARDS by Barbara Charone, who was there) that sounds plausible.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 28, 2015 23:51

I don't recall if I've posted on this one but I love Lies and think it's among the best tunes on SG.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: March 1, 2015 00:27

punkest track from this no filler all killer record.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 1, 2015 02:31

Jagger trying Punk. On my skip list . .

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: March 1, 2015 03:19

Terrible song. A waste of tape that it was recorded on.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home