Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Ronnie's bad soloing on CYHMK
Date: June 6, 2012 14:38

Zack
Redhotcarpet
Ronnie does try to do the Taylor solo note for note but he cant do it timing is awful and he needs the help of pedals and great sounding amps, stuff that Taylor didnt use. Part of this sounds like some horrible attempt from a teen who just got his first guitar playing along.

Once while I was sitting outside a small watering hole having a beer, I gave the owner a cassette of Sticky Fingers and told them to check it out. I didn't realize that only one speaker worked so to my surprise I got Taylor's part isolated on CYHMK. During the verses, he played an awesome counter-rhythm to Keith before the solo even started. Look a Ronnie in this clip, he's barely strumming the strat at all. No effort whatsoever to play counterpoint to Keith.

They arranged it differently for the live shows. More instruments, less guitars.

That said, Taylor is strumming pretty ordinarily on the studio version. His sound is ace, though.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 6, 2012 14:52

We are now in 2012, not 2003.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 6, 2012 15:16

Beast

and that makes it really scary and dreadfully painful if the band tried to perform this song again live...if they ever tour again...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 6, 2012 15:18

After all the years of the same Stones arrangements on Tumbling Dice, Brown Sugar,
Sympathy etc. with horns and solos etc. - I remember I had tears in my eyes when
I heard the first bootleg of Boston in 2002, when CYHMK came on and Ronnie played
things I haven´t heard for 20+ years from him and the Stones. I was totally over-
whelmed.

Ronnie´s solo on the version from MSG ´03 is truly fantastic and shines over
their 1989-2003 live output.

Date: June 6, 2012 15:20

Eleanor Rigby
Beast

and that makes it really scary and dreadfully painful if the band tried to perform this song again live...if they ever tour again...

Ronnie is better now than in 2003, haven't you noticed?

Re: Ronnie's soloing on CYHMK
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 6, 2012 15:37

DandelionPowderman
Ronnie is better now than in 2003

Better as in: playing more directly from his heart. Grooving and rocking. Conjuring fun with
each attack on the strings of his guitar. Being the leader of the bands he's playing with.
Taking songs on his shoulders from start to finish, not leaving the listeners breathless,
but overwhelmed with joy.
He's mastering the art of playing strong and simple rock, and basic blues and everything
in between.

I love my Ronnie like that!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-06 15:38 by marcovandereijk.

Date: June 6, 2012 15:40

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman
Ronnie is better now than in 2003

Better as in: playing more directly from his heart. Grooving and rocking. Conjuring fun with
each attack on the strings of his guitar. Being the leader of the bands he's playing with.
Taking songs on his shoulders from start to finish, not leaving the listeners breathless,
but overwhelmed with joy.
He's mastering the art of playing strong and simple rock, and basic blues and everything
in between.

I love my Ronnie like that!

Well said, Marco!

To add one thing: I bet he's gonna steer clear off the bad fuzzy sound he had in 2003 the next time. Then, CYHMK will sound way better, imo. he just wasn't comfortable with that sound (it's the same with Sway).

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 6, 2012 15:45

More Hot Rocks
Just saw a You Tube video of Taylor playing CYHMK with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon. Struggled and seammed lost. Hit alot of bum notes then covered up until he was back in key.
Could be worst keith could be playing lead.

I disagree. His playing is interesting enough to me and other people who commented on the video I uploaded. Relatively many 'thumbs up' too. Not any thumb down. I'm sorry his guitar is too low in the mix though, but that's something else.

Date: June 6, 2012 15:55

kleermaker
More Hot Rocks
Just saw a You Tube video of Taylor playing CYHMK with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon. Struggled and seammed lost. Hit alot of bum notes then covered up until he was back in key.
Could be worst keith could be playing lead.

I disagree. His playing is interesting enough to me and other people who commented on the video I uploaded. Relatively many 'thumbs up' too. Not any thumb down. I'm sorry his guitar is too low in the mix though, but that's something else.

I agree, he is a little off a few times, but in general a good performance. Yep, he should definitely have been higher in the mix, or at least have chosen a more prominent sound.

The rhythm guitar player's sound is horrendous, though.

Posted by: eraser ()
Date: June 6, 2012 16:00

DandelionPowderman
Well said, Marco!

To add one thing: I bet he's gonna steer clear off the bad fuzzy sound he had in 2003 the next time. Then, CYHMK will sound way better, imo. he just wasn't comfortable with that sound (it's the same with Sway).

If he had a bad fuzzy sound in 2003, who's fault is that? As one of the world's wealthier guitarists, he has the time and money to get exactly the sound he wants - if he can be bothered.

In the same way that - if he could be bothered - he is more than capable of learning note for note (with correct phrasing/timing) the original MT CYHMK solo: it isn't a difficult solo by any means, the beauty of the original is in the tone and phrasing.

Date: June 6, 2012 16:02

Some "recent" Ronnie (2010). Not in the best sound quality, but highly enjoyable.

Date: June 6, 2012 16:09

eraser
DandelionPowderman
Well said, Marco!

If he had a bad fuzzy sound in 2003, who's fault is that? As one of the world's wealthier guitarists, he has the time and money to get exactly the sound he wants - if he can be bothered.

In the same way that - if he could be bothered - he is more than capable of learning note for note (with correct phrasing/timing) the original MT CYHMK solo: it isn't a difficult solo by any means, the beauty of the original is in the tone and phrasing.

I doubt the sound is Ronnie's decision alone in the Stones. However, the bad lead sound on the BB-tour could just as well be the PA mix (i.e. you can have awesome sound from your amps, but what comes out of the speaker can sound like crap).

Like you said, he never tried or wanted to learn anything note for note, he goes for the feel, and parts of the song IS those Taylor-licks, hence he chose to keep them.

Just guessing here, of course.

Date: June 6, 2012 16:18

I liked that clip of Mick Taylor with The Roots too! It is great how the rhythm session keeps
the song pumping during the guitar solo. Even Mister Taylor seems to be wanting to dance to
the groove!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-06 16:19 by marcovandereijk.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 6, 2012 16:24

eraser

Ronnie's tone on the CYHMK solo in 2003 was stellar. At least for me. The closest I can get to it is strat bridge pu with tone completely closed (on my guitar the tone pot works with all pups), high volume compression, and a tad of gain/ fuzz.

If you don't like it, fine enough, but, for what matters, you can bet your balls that there are no Berhinger in his set up, so to say!

As for the solo, the day I will hear a studio recording played note for note at a stones concert, that day I will know it's over!

C

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2012 16:25

Redhotcarpet
Ronnie does try to do the Taylor solo note for note but he cant do it timing is awful and he needs the help of pedals and great sounding amps, stuff that Taylor didnt use. Part of this sounds like some horrible attempt from a teen who just got his first guitar playing along.

Hmm, aside from the overly nice backing vocals, I don't hear anything wrong with this version.

Ronnie takes a more raw approach than Taylor did, There's references to the studio version, but also his own more Faces era like style in there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-06 16:28 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 6, 2012 16:31

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
Beast

no i haven't, should I have?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 6, 2012 16:33

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
Beast

Get with the programme, then.

Date: June 6, 2012 16:42

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
Beast

Yeah, he's been playing quite a lot lately, right? smiling smiley

You'll find the video links all over this board.

Here's a good one from Atlantic City:

[www.youtube.com]#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-06 17:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: eraser ()
Date: June 6, 2012 16:47

His Majesty

Hmm, aside from the overly nice backing vocals, I don't hear anything wrong with this version.

Ronnie takes a more raw approach than Taylor did, There's references to the studio version, but also his own more Faces era like style in there.

From 7:30 to 8:30 I hear something that wanders out of time, and features a bunch of sour bends

RW can play some great guitar - but that isn't an example of it.

Date: June 6, 2012 16:51

eraser
His Majesty

From 7:30 to 8:30 I hear something that wanders out of time, and features a bunch of sour bends

They've all played sour, there's even a fluff note on the studio version during the solo. winking smiley

Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: June 6, 2012 17:04

a worse solo by Ronnie might be on ycagwyw on Love you Live....HORRENDOUS

Date: June 6, 2012 17:08

mandrax1972
a worse solo by Ronnie might be on ycagwyw on Love you Live....HORRENDOUS

YOU think it's horrendous...

I'd like to hear, from a musical point of view, why you are dissing one of my favorite RS-solos ever? winking smiley

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 6, 2012 17:08

Something to wish for: new tour with Taylor on lead, Keith and Ronnie weaving their rhythms

Date: June 6, 2012 17:09

His Majesty
eraser
His Majesty

They've all played sour, there's even a fluff note on the studio version during the solo. winking smiley

It's not about bums and fluff notes, but about the musicality and the impact of the playing. Ronnie may be a nice guy, but he misses both with the Stones (don't know about his playing with the Faces).

Date: June 6, 2012 17:10

buffalo7478
Something to wish for: new tour with Taylor on lead, Keith and Ronnie weaving their rhythms

Except for the fact that weaving is connected to lead licks winking smiley

Date: June 6, 2012 17:10

kleermaker
His Majesty
eraser
His Majesty

It's not about bums and fluff notes, but about the musicality and the impact of the playing. Ronnie may be a nice guy, but he misses both with the Stones (don't know about his playing with the Faces).

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Date: June 6, 2012 17:13

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty
eraser
His Majesty

Never heard it Dandelion. I'm not into rock and roll and pop music that much, to use an understatement.

Date: June 6, 2012 17:25

grinning smiley

Date: June 6, 2012 17:32

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty
eraser
His Majesty

Never heard it Dandelion. I'm not into rock and roll and pop music that much, to use an understatement.

You need to hear this. This is a friendly suggestion, kleermaker.

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 6, 2012 17:39

I bet Ronnie could have done an admirable job on this solo back in the '70s and eraly '80s but his synapses don't seem to connect readily anymore. A lot of his solos now tend to get stuck when they should be accelerating, making a turn or reaching a destination.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home