Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Keith can't keep time anymore
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 1, 2012 22:20

Justin

Sorry I dont live here and I have not read any posts formweeks.... Maybe youmshould read what you like and let others express themselves.

Loudei
video: [youtu.be]

One time great rhythm player and time keeper doesn't have the chops anymore. I am worried that he can't play with the stones anymore unless they mick taylor back to help.

I'm more worried about members posting this same old, tired post every 3 weeks around here. How many more different ways can all of you come up saying you're worried about Keith, he can't play guitar anymore, he doesn't have anything left in the tank, he should be left behind, he should be replaced, Mick should go solo, Keith is done for, Keith should retire, Keith should stop writing books, Keith is rusty, Keith isn't rusty, Keith should learn the piano instead.....?

MOVE ON PEOPLE.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: June 1, 2012 22:49

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Loudei

One time great rhythm player and time keeper doesn't have the chops anymore. I am worried that he can't play with the stones anymore unless they mick taylor back to help.

Sure he can keep time (same show). A bit uneven, maybe, but I see no wrong on this version:

But...he isn't playing anything really, isn't he. And on LRR -all he does is slide from G to C with a slide in open G. My three year old daughter can do that....

Mathijs

Some people shouldn't reproduce indeed eye rolling smiley

Date: June 2, 2012 00:36

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Loudei

Sure he can keep time (same show). A bit uneven, maybe, but I see no wrong on this version:

LOL< that IS the "Tie You Up" lick, haha..

I'm sorry - the first video of him doing LRR - that is not good. Anyone trying to see that as lowdown Blues, played to the beat of the heart is seeing this with tinted glasses.
But...he isn't playing anything really, isn't he. And on LRR -all he does is slide from G to C with a slide in open G. My three year old daughter can do that....

Mathijs

Actually he is indeed playing. However, what he plays is very simple. If you listen closely, round the 2:30 mark he is even playing his favorite solo lick in there (the one he plays on Let Me Go - live, Tie You Up - ending + + +).

He needs to use his volume knob like he used to, though.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 2, 2012 00:45

mathijs,would you and the family be adverse to a little travelling this summer?the kids too young for eyeshadow but can you ask mom if we can put a bandana on her head and a few charms in her hair? also,there are a couple poses that need to be practised but they learn quickly at that age.

seriously,i know this comes up every few days and we should dig up the old threads instead of adding a new one but it is a big deal.

keith was playing his ass off when i saw them in 05 and i caught one of the last shows in the states in 06 and they were nailing it then also but that was before the accident.when they finished up in europe in 07 that seems to be where the real trouble started.

were all of the shows in europe in 07 bad or was it just a couple or what? i've never really gotten a straight answer out of you guys over there.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 2, 2012 01:06

a yeah,yeah,yeah ...ya know

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-02 01:10 by open-g.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 2, 2012 01:36

lem motlow
were all of the shows in europe in 07 bad or was it just a couple or what? i've never really gotten a straight answer out of you guys over there.

Well, I have often given a straight answer about that, but I am very willing to do it again. In 2007 I saw the shows in Werchter, Paris, Rome, Copenhagen and the last one in London and except for Rome, I loved them all. And Rome had nothing to do with the Stones' playing, but because of the thousands of fans that stormed the field, making it impossible for me and my Dear Lady Anne to watch the show.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 2, 2012 01:54

oh no, not this again

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 2, 2012 02:14

lem motlow

I saw six and they were fine. Some of the early ones (based on audio and video evidence as well as what others thought) were pretty ropey, but they were great in Lisbon when I saw them. Keith was very erratic in Madrid two days later, but it was an enjoyable concert. Slane was pretty good and as for the final three shows at the 02 - the first two anyway were outstanding - they'd had their end of tour party the day before the final show and the gig that night whilst they performed well, had an air of 'lets get this over with and go on holiday' to it. Saying that, had it been the only one of the three London shows that I'd attended, I'd have been pretty happy with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-02 02:15 by Gazza.

Date: June 2, 2012 02:23

I am not knocking Keith at all... Just pointing out that his playing seems off and it's hard to think that he could play like this in a packed stadiium Stones show. This is also the present - this is what is happening right now - why not talk about it. I also a guitar player who admires Keith guitar work and listening to these clips make me want to tlak about it because its important to me and should important to all stones fans - where would the stones be without Keith's playing?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 2, 2012 02:28

I think it was the Helsinki show in 2007 that recieved some criticism. Especially Keith was slugged. He was believed to be placard. At least according to the same reviewer who penned him down in Gotheburg a few days later.

Date: June 2, 2012 02:29

KRiffhard
Someone keeps saying he's playing well ....

In fairness, Costello has since admitted that this fiasco was all his fault because of the way his guitar (which Keith borrowed) had been tuned.

Date: June 2, 2012 02:42

maybe "can't get a straight answer " wasnt exactly accurate since there are reviews on this very website and its not like this hasnt come up before but..

its good to revisit the last shows they played and hear from fans who were there instead of this"oh,they were terrible in 07,that was the end" once that gets repeated enough it becomes a fact in peoples minds when it may not actually be the case.

so far it looks pretty good.a couple of off kilter ones maybe but certainly not the trainwreck its been made out to be.

i saw one show in 78 that was so bad that if it was the first time you saw the stones you would probably never go back.

Date: June 2, 2012 02:55

There were inconsistent performances on the 2006 European leg and in the North American leg later that year too. Some shows were very good, others very ropey indeed.

As far as the pre-accident shows are concerned, I personally didnt find the Bigger Bang tour shows particularly good or interesting until around the time they played the Hollywood Bowl in early November. The shows for the rest of that year were much better (the ones in Houston and Memphis being particular favourites). The first shows I personally attended were the two at Madison Square Garden in January '06 and both were terrific. I thought the standard of performances remained consistently good until spring '06 when Keith had the accident after the final show Down Under.

Date: June 2, 2012 02:57

Dudes Keith's playing has always been like Charlie once said " right on the money, totally off or two weeks ahead of you". A terrible show has always existed but the last time Keith's playing lifted the band was back in 95'. My favorite Keith years of guitar playing are 69' 77' 78' 81' 88' 94' Obviusly he is not the same player. Levon Helm got sick and came back and reinvented his drumming, Keith is just playing Chuck Berry solos and a couple of blues licks. I don't think he gives a shit really.

Yes I might hungry for a couple of more open G grooves, some cool hooks....

Date: June 2, 2012 03:15

i have that qoute from mick around here somwhere from q magazine in 05-i've posted it before -where he said he didnt really want to do a huge tour even then,just something like ten shows in the states and then a few in europe.

it really seems like thats what we're gonna get this time.being able to focus on just a few shows should help.it looks easy to us but we're not the ones that have to get onstage and light up a football stadium.

i just cant get worried about these 30second videos of keith playing and judging his ability on that,it seems to be jumping the gun a little.

i'd rather hear about more shows from the end of the tour,thats probably closer to where things stand.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 2, 2012 04:49

Mathijs
Mathijs

OK, but the assertion was that he cannot keep time. FWIW, he does the D as well, and at :48 holds up his hand to correctly signal the extra G sequence before sliding the D, while the bass player wrongly hits the D early anyway.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 2, 2012 05:00

The man is old!!! Leave him alone!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2012 07:21

lem motlow
mathijs,would you and the family be adverse to a little travelling this summer?the kids too young for eyeshadow but can you ask mom if we can put a bandana on her head and a few charms in her hair? also,there are a couple poses that need to be practised but they learn quickly at that age.

seriously,i know this comes up every few days and we should dig up the old threads instead of adding a new one but it is a big deal.

keith was playing his ass off when i saw them in 05 and i caught one of the last shows in the states in 06 and they were nailing it then also but that was before the accident.when they finished up in europe in 07 that seems to be where the real trouble started.

I certainly enjoyed Toronto and Vancouver...didn't hear/see any problems.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 2, 2012 08:11

I saw five UK shows in 2006-2007 and enjoyed all of them. One (Twickenham 1) Keith was OK but sort of on autopilot: the rest were fine and the first two O2 shows were really good - if the show on 23rd August does turn out to be the last show I ever see it was a good finish. So I will add my voice to those saying that while I don't doubt that there were some bad shows at this time they weren't all terrible.

Of course this was all five years ago and a lot can happen in five years. As some people are very keen to remind us, non-guitarists are not qualified to judge Keith's current playing skills - so I won't.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: June 2, 2012 08:22

Next thread please.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: June 2, 2012 12:47

Loudei

Rubbish

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 2, 2012 12:56

Funny. IMO this Keith Keith is the Keith I'd love to hear from 1989- . This is not Vegas Keith. I ignore the 89-07 era and put on this anytime. He was the one in the band who knew the original LLR repeats the G before the refrain. Two fingers in the air. MOre of this, no more sentimental Rod Stweart country shite please and no more late 80s empty riffing or any of the 90s laughing pose. This is Keith being Keith. Finally.

thumbs up

Date: June 2, 2012 12:57

And of course Keith cant keep time, he never could and he shouldnt.

One more thumb up for Keiths version of LLR. thumbs up

One more thumbs up

And one more thumbs up

Date: June 2, 2012 13:01

But yes, he cant get those exact minimalistic and yet totally emotional little genius licks he produced in the early and mid 70s. Bye Bye Johnny live 72, Midnight rambler studio version or live 1972 or 1973 or 1975 or Worried bout you or why not If you cant rock me in 1975 or Hot Stuff or Dance little Sister. Those are examples of total control over fret and feel.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: June 2, 2012 13:35

Keith has always has a bad night or two on tour.

A show in 02 for Licks was amazing, a show in 05 was OK but the show in the fall of 06 after the accident and the Helsinki show was not very good. He just seemed lost up there. I feel for the guy.

Me dad is about his age and is not a rock icon but successful in his own profession...but he is old and has some bad or less than erudite days. I still listen to my dad like I listen to Keith, but you have to wait for the Gem moment when that old swagger and brilliance comes through. At their age they tire easily and they've both seen and done so much in their very different lives but life can be tough and at the end of the road it is sometimes hard to keep on top except for those Gem moments when they shine.

And what is this about Keith not keeping time? Everyone knows that the Stones run on "Keith Time".

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 2, 2012 13:47

Very nicely said rogue

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 2, 2012 15:12

[www.youtube.com]

Who's playing? Blondie or Keith?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 2, 2012 17:44

Keith sytle is changing some too. His originals are more sappy and his playing has mellowed like a fine wine. Blame it on his house full of estrogen. I don't belive he can do fast fancy fretboard workouts to please the Van Halen fans but the notes he plays are well placed and there is nothing wrong with a minimalistic style from Keith. His timing has always been loose as I've pointed out before.

IMHO, he can still play plenty well enough. I wonder sometimes how his hearing is after all the loud sound systems he has been standing so close to for so long. Most people would have lost something there. Not hearing well can easily be interpreted as or at least contribute to not so perfect performances. peace

Date: June 2, 2012 18:40

Naturalust
Keith sytle is changing some too. His originals are more sappy and his playing has mellowed like a fine wine. Blame it on his house full of estrogen. I don't belive he can do fast fancy fretboard workouts to please the Van Halen fans but the notes he plays are well placed and there is nothing wrong with a minimalistic style from Keith. His timing has always been loose as I've pointed out before.

IMHO, he can still play plenty well enough. I wonder sometimes how his hearing is after all the loud sound systems he has been standing so close to for so long. Most people would have lost something there. Not hearing well can easily be interpreted as or at least contribute to not so perfect performances. peace

I dont think anyone believes he used to play like Van Halen, the thread is about his sense of rhythm, timing etc. Soul fills really.

Date: June 3, 2012 00:30

Stoneage
I think it was the Helsinki show in 2007 that recieved some criticism. Especially Keith was slugged. He was believed to be placard. At least according to the same reviewer who penned him down in Gotheburg a few days later.

According to insiders he was dehydrated, not drunk (for once) winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home