Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
? Political Songs
Posted by: Marianella ()
Date: May 29, 2012 17:09

The new political song by Mick Jagger was Funny on SNL. Then there is Sweet-Neo Con and one with SuperHeavy, do you think they get the message thru? I realize Sweet Neo-Con got pushed a lil, much ado then. It made me more aware of the shit that goes down daily.

Re: ? Political Songs
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 29, 2012 22:30

And then there's undercover of the night.

Date: May 29, 2012 22:31

Oh and highwire.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 29, 2012 22:32

sjs12
Oh and highwire.

We sell 'em missiles, We sell 'em tanks
We give 'em credit, You can call the bank

It's just a business, You can pay us in crude
You love these toys, just go play out your feuds

Got no pride, don't know whose boots to lick
We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick

So get up, stand up, out of my way
I want to talk to the boss right away
Get up, stand up, whose gonna pay
I want to talk to the man right away

We walk the highwire
Sending the men up to the front line
Hoping they don't catch the hell fire
With hot guns and cold, cold nights

We walk the highwire
Sending the men up to the front line
And tell 'em to hotbed the sunshine

Our lives are threatened, our jobs at risk
Sometimes dictators need a slap on the wrist

Another Munich we just can't afford
We're gonna send in the eighty-second airborne

Get up, stand up, who's gonna pay
I wanna talk to the boss right away
Get up, stand up, outta my way
I wanna talk to the man right away

We walk the highwire
Putting the world out on a deadline
And hoping they don't catch the shellfire

We walk the highwire
Putting the world out on a deadline
Catching the bite on primetime

Get up! Stand up!
Dealer! Stealer!
Hey!

We walk the highwire
We send all our men into the front lines
We're hoping that we backed the right side

We walk the highwire
We send all the men up to the front lines
And hoping they don't catch the hellfire
With hot guns and cold cold, cold, cold,
cold nights

We walk the highwire
We walk the highwire
With hot guns and cold, cold, cold nights

Jagger/Richards

Date: May 29, 2012 22:36

Still as relevant now as then, and not a bad song

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 29, 2012 22:38

It seems kinda silly to hear millionaires singing about politics and war. I'd rather hear it from someone on the front lines who has actually experienced hardship because of politics, someone like Fela Kuti.

"Our lives are threatened, our jobs at risk". Right, Mick eye rolling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 29, 2012 23:51

Street Fighting Man

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: May 29, 2012 23:59

Everyone mentions Sweet Neo-Con on Bigger Bang, but for some reason, Dangerous Beauty slipped under the radar when talk about political songs comes up.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 30, 2012 00:05

batcave
Everyone mentions Sweet Neo-Con on Bigger Bang, but for some reason, Dangerous Beauty slipped under the radar when talk about political songs comes up.

Quite possibly my fave song off ABB.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 30, 2012 00:06

I don't agree with people who think singers should shut up and sing. No matter what you do for a living your opinion is no better or no worse than anyone else's. I don't mind Jagger or The Stones dabbling into politics as long as it doesn't turn into a Barbara Streisand type rant up on stage.

One thing is for sure- no matter what your politics, believe it because it is what you believe not because Jagger, Streisand or Ted Nugent tell you so.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-30 00:09 by FrankM.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 30, 2012 00:20

All the attempts have been lame though. The only song that caught some attention was "Sweet Neocon". To do "Sweet Neocon" was a bit risky considering the fact that, probably, half of the American Stones public are conservatives. Quite brave, actually. In Europe nobody noticed it though.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 30, 2012 00:22

GumbootCloggeroo
It seems kinda silly to hear millionaires singing about politics and war. I'd rather hear it from someone on the front lines who has actually experienced hardship because of politics, someone like Fela Kuti.

"Our lives are threatened, our jobs at risk". Right, Mick eye rolling smiley

I always took this line to be in the third person..same as "We sell them missiles".......obviously Mick's not literally himself selling them missiles and tanks, equally it's not literally his life or job on the line........no ?
Also this line to me comes across as slightly sarcastic, as in "that's the propoganda, that's why "we" gotta go and sort those people out". But then immediately after you've got the line "sometimes dictator's need a slap on the wrist"....which sounds more sincere...makes the song quite ambiguous...or confused.......

Date: May 30, 2012 01:42

treaclefingers
Street Fighting Man

I always saw SFM as more of a social commentry.

Ev'rywhere I hear the sound of marching, charging feet, boy
'Cause summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy
But what can a poor boy do
Except to sing for a rock 'n' roll band
'Cause in sleepy London town
There's just no place for a street fighting man
No

Hey! Think the time is right for a palace revolution
But where I live the game to play is compromise solution
Well, then what can a poor boy do
There's no place for a street fighting man
No

Hey! Said my name is called disturbance
I'll shout and scream, I'll kill the king, I'll rail at all his servants
Well, what can a poor boy do
There's no place for a street fighting man
No

Date: May 30, 2012 01:47

I think the list of politically incorrect songs is longer...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 30, 2012 02:40

Stoneage
All the attempts have been lame though. The only song that caught some attention was "Sweet Neocon". To do "Sweet Neocon" was a bit risky considering the fact that, probably, half of the American Stones public are conservatives. Quite brave, actually. In Europe nobody noticed it though.

Nobody noticed it in America either after Fox News made a fuss of it for about two days.

Bit pointless releasing a song like that (crap though it was) or Dangerous Beauty (which was an excellent track) if you then dont have the conviction to perform it even once.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 30, 2012 02:41

FrankM
I don't agree with people who think singers should shut up and sing. No matter what you do for a living your opinion is no better or no worse than anyone else's. I don't mind Jagger or The Stones dabbling into politics as long as it doesn't turn into a Barbara Streisand type rant up on stage.

One thing is for sure- no matter what your politics, believe it because it is what you believe not because Jagger, Streisand or Ted Nugent tell you so.

Precisely.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 30, 2012 03:06

Street Fighting Man . . but when there were real riots in London, Jagger wimped out. Don't believe what he says in his songs. . it is just chatter.

Watch Fox News, then you will know what is going on in America.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 30, 2012 03:27

Mick is an intelligent man, I wish he would write more politically-pointed songs. The SNL song was..ehh....kind of a cutesy thowaway. I wish he would do something with more bite. Dangerous Beauty was a good one.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 30, 2012 04:02

stupidguy2
Mick is an intelligent man, I wish he would write more politically-pointed songs.

At this point I wish he would write anything, for the Stones of course.

I think the Stones discography has just enough politically-pointed songs.
After all, they are much more about sex & drugs & rock-n-roll.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 30, 2012 04:10

One funny side effect of SWEET NEO CON was, I saw a couple interviews with Mick where the (male) interviewers launched enthusiastically into, "I hate George Bush, too, Mick!" commentary, with the attitude, "You and I think just alike, Mick! We are instant friends!" And Mick instantly distanced himself from the song, just as a way of keeping these dorks at arm's length. "No, mate, we're not instant pals! Just because you hate George Bush does not mean we are suddenly bosom buddies." It reminded me of John Lennon's finding tedious the long-hairs wearing peace symbols who constantly bothered him, thinking their hippy attire meant Lennon would embrace them as "brothers." Lennon related his feeling at the beginning of I FOUND OUT, "I told you before, stay away from my door./Don't give me that, `Brother, Brother, Brother, Brother.'/The freaks on the phone, won't leave me alone,/So don't give me that, `Brother, Brother, Brother, Brother.'"

Oops, Mick, a bunch of dorks suddenly think you're their pal! Yes, there is a back way out of here.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-30 04:22 by Title5Take1.

Date: May 30, 2012 05:37

Stoneage

It was just as specific as Highwire only with half the oomph I thought and only 2% effort at the actual songwriting, where as Highwire sounds like the Stones. It was an afterthought by the time it came out anyway. Old hat and all that. Talk about marking time. Dangerous Beauty was at least about SOMETHING specific. And a thousand times better of a song. Sweet Neo Con got hype because of the stupid 'Brown & Root' etc lines. Everyone knew about Cheney being Darth Vader and his company being the Death Star. So... what. They'd already destroyed environments around the world and robbed people blind.

A political song about feelings/opinions of something that happened in the 1960s or 1970s would have been far more interesting because it would have been historical.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 30, 2012 06:32

Gazza
FrankM

Precisely.

Let's not forget Santana's rants during his shows.

Date: May 30, 2012 07:00

Satan rants during his shows? What the hell have I been missing!!??

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 30, 2012 08:48

..and don't forget The Spider and The Fly...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 30, 2012 10:28

"bein' hungry, it ain't no crime" is a line that sums up my entire political philosophy.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 30, 2012 10:54

mitchflorida1

Why do you have to constantly inject your stupid Fox News comments and Obama-hatred into threads, knowing political argument is not allowed here? All you do is show the narrowness of your mind to all concerned. You certainly don't persuade anyone with this crap. No one cares. Please stop doing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-30 19:16 by 71Tele.

Date: May 30, 2012 11:20

71Tele
mitchflorida1

No, but you will know what Rubert Murdoch and the far right wing want you to think is going on in America. You will also be extremely misinformed.

Almost getting into political territory there! It's fine to talk about the Stones songs and their meaning, but it corsses a line (especially with BV) if we start arguing our own political opinions on here.

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 30, 2012 18:01

Whatever side of the fence you come down on, with the exception of Street Fighting Man, the Stone's political harangues are easily the worst shite in their massive catalog.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 30, 2012 19:09

sjs12
71Tele
mitchflorida1

No, but you will know what Rubert Murdoch and the far right wing want you to think is going on in America. You will also be extremely misinformed.

Almost getting into political territory there! It's fine to talk about the Stones songs and their meaning, but it corsses a line (especially with BV) if we start arguing our own political opinions on here.

You are right, but one gets sick of the continual baiting and bigoted comments coming from the same poster. I edited my comment to make sure it was about the poster inserting inflammatory political invective into threads. I have no desire to debate political viewpoints with this individual on this site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-30 19:33 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 30, 2012 19:59

Look at the bright side. To me a statement like "Watch Fox news, then you will know what's going on in America" is only amusing. It gives me a good laugh!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home