Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: ? Political Songs
Posted by: R ()
Date: May 30, 2012 20:11

Stoneage
Look at the bright side. To me a statement like "Watch Fox news, then you will know what's going on in America" is only amusing. It gives me a good laugh!

I hate to tell you folks but FOX News reaches far and away more households in the US than any or all of the other cable units combined. They sometimes equal or exceed the lower ranking national news broadcasts (i.e. CBS) in the same time slot. Factor in their rapidly growing business news network and you have quite the behometh Obviously the market has been created by "someone(s)" and said "someone(s)" are not the FOX News end user.

Be snarkily dismissive at your peril.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 30, 2012 20:43

Stoneage
All the attempts have been lame though. The only song that caught some attention was "Sweet Neocon". To do "Sweet Neocon" was a bit risky considering the fact that, probably, half of the American Stones public are conservatives. Quite brave, actually. In Europe nobody noticed it though.

verrry lame.instead of the story being told from someones personal view of things[gimme shelter]and conveying the actual feelings of living in a world gone mad mick is now writing these horrible slogan songs.and neocon was not even close to being brave,green day had a multi-platinum record that came out nearly a year before saying the same things and mick was just one of many jumping on the war fatigue bandwagon.

i call it his joan baez phase and he really needs to stop,not because of the politics but because the songs suck.bigtime.

it is the difference between a stones 60s classic and those dated anti-war songs put out by others from that era.you notice when you're in a stadium full of people how the crowd reacts to the opening chords of gimme shelter.you never here anyone say"alright they're doing"highwire"

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 30, 2012 20:46

R
Stoneage
Look at the bright side. To me a statement like "Watch Fox news, then you will know what's going on in America" is only amusing. It gives me a good laugh!

I hate to tell you folks but FOX News reaches far and away more households in the US than any or all of the other cable units combined.
Can you give us a source (and NOT Fox News) for that statistic? Quality over quantity, I say.
Though, I'm not surprised they're in the lead. After all, Garth Brooks is the 3rd biggest selling artist of all time in the US.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 30, 2012 20:58

R
Stoneage

I hate to tell you folks but FOX News reaches far and away more households in the US than any or all of the other cable units combined. They sometimes equal or exceed the lower ranking national news broadcasts (i.e. CBS) in the same time slot. Factor in their rapidly growing business news network and you have quite the behometh Obviously the market has been created by "someone(s)" and said "someone(s)" are not the FOX News end user.

Yes, and Rupert Murdoch (the same owner) sells far more copies of his gutter press rags in the U.K. than other newspapers. And we see now the tactics he has employed to get his "news", such as hacking a murdered girl's cell phone and bribing police. The success of Fox News is no secret: It appeals to many people's basest instincts and fears. It is a formula Murdoch has mined for decades. The fact that it reaches so many households says a lot about why so many people are so misinformed.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 30, 2012 21:37

I'm sure Mick would rather folks agree with him than rant and rave their opposition. Just the same, I do happen to like his political songs, but it's not likely that he'll be seen demonstrating anytime soon.
" War Baby" is a solo tune of Mick's that's quite political and from a l ong time ago....isn't it on " Primitive Cool"?

Date: May 30, 2012 21:56

GumbootCloggeroo
R
Stoneage

I hate to tell you folks but FOX News reaches far and away more households in the US than any or all of the other cable units combined.
Can you give us a source (and NOT Fox News) for that statistic? Quality over quantity, I say.
Though, I'm not surprised they're in the lead. After all, Garth Brooks is the 3rd biggest selling artist of all time in the US.

garth brooks is a pretty good country singer,my taste leans more toward the traditional but he's got some pretty good songs.

if you're using his popularity to push some narrative that people who listen to him arent as smart as you,thats just pathetic.

i hate to break this to you but all news media is corrupt,from print to television every one pushs an agenda.they are owned by large corporations and when they arent slanting things they are guilty of omission on almost every important topic.
to actually think that one is worst than the other is astonishingly naive.

and spare me the "i didnt say the other ones were'nt bad,its,its, just that fox blah blah blah save it for someone else lefty.

...these sheep go on this side of the fence and these sheep go on that side of the fence

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 30, 2012 22:11

71Tele
R
Stoneage

Yes, and Rupert Murdoch (the same owner) sells far more copies of his gutter press rags in the U.K. than other newspapers. And we see now the tactics he has employed to get his "news", such as hacking a murdered girl's cell phone and bribing police. The success of Fox News is no secret: It appeals to many people's basest instincts and fears. It is a formula Murdoch has mined for decades. The fact that it reaches so many households says a lot about why so many people are so misinformed.

Folks, people in the US aren't nearly as "misinformed" as you would like to think. It's just that it's not in most of our nature to be haughtily dismissive and faux erudite with those with whom we disagree.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 30, 2012 22:13

I don't think people should write political songs, they should just write what flows through them or inspires them at that moment. If it turns out as an 'I love you' song fine, but if it turns out a 'message' song that's fine too.

What I don't like is an artist writing a song that he thinks he's supposed to write. On the other hand there are stories that Dylan has refused to record great songs because they sound 'too Bob Dylan'. Maybe the artist doesn't always no best!

Date: May 30, 2012 22:19

lem motlow
if you're using his popularity to push some narrative that people who listen to him arent as smart as you,thats just pathetic.
uhh, that's not what I was trying to say at all. Nice try, though.
Is it not fair to say that people who love country music are more often than not right wingers that tend to vote republican? That's why I brought up Garth Brooks. He's huge in America. Fox News is huge. Therefore, I am not surprised that Fox News is the leading media outlet, though I still want to see statistics to back that up. Not that right wingers care about facts, anyway winking smiley

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 30, 2012 22:55

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 30, 2012 23:06

top 50 conservative rock songs (posting the nyt version so as to not offend the prevailing sensitivities around here)...

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: May 30, 2012 23:07

GumbootCloggeroo
lem motlow
Is it not fair to say that people who love country music are more often than not right wingers that tend to vote republican? That's why I brought up Garth Brooks. He's huge in America. Fox News is huge. Therefore, I am not surprised that Fox News is the leading media outlet, though I still want to see statistics to back that up. Not that right wingers care about facts, anyway winking smiley

nice try?so you're saying that these country music listening,right wing people who mostly vote the same and listen to the same music are smart they just have a different worldview than yours? oh,ok good.because that would make you a condescending little dipshit,so i'm glad you cleared that up.

i listen to country music, i'm from los angeles and am far from a rightwinger.do you make these little connections in your life in general?you know,like certain racial backgrounds listen to certain music,eat certain food,behave a certain way? some people drive certain cars or have a particular pet..? just wondering..

Date: May 30, 2012 23:30

lem motlow
GumbootCloggeroo
lem motlow

nice try?so you're saying that these country music listening,right wing people who mostly vote the same and listen to the same music are smart they just have a different worldview than yours? oh,ok good.because that would make you a condescending little dipshit,so i'm glad you cleared that up.

i listen to country music, i'm from los angeles and am far from a rightwinger.do you make these little connections in your life in general?you know,like certain racial backgrounds listen to certain music,eat certain food,behave a certain way? some people drive certain cars or have a particular pet..? just wondering..
Dude, why are you spinning what I am saying? My comments have nothing to do with the intelligence level of voters or listeners of country music. Why are you bringing race into the issue? YOU are taking it to the extreme. Why am I even bothering to respond to this nonsense?

Date: May 31, 2012 00:34

i was just asking you a couple of questions,dont get so wound up about it.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 31, 2012 02:19

Political or not, a song needs to be good for me to care. But when any old millionaires in goofy rock bands like The Stones toss out a one-off 'political' song; it's already doomed for unintentional comedy.

Sweet Neo-con is likely the worst Stones song ever released (along woth Streets of Love, Keys to Your Love and most of Dirty Work).

The Stones aren't qualified or capable of being taken very serioulsy to begin with; their execution of 'political' songs is abysmal.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 31, 2012 02:37

Fox News ran a very pro-Obama piece today, so why all this complaint about their supposed bias?

Date: May 31, 2012 04:19

R
71Tele
R
Stoneage

Folks, people in the US aren't nearly as "misinformed" as you would like to think. It's just that it's not in most of our nature to be haughtily dismissive and faux erudite with those with whom we disagree.

There is nothing wrong with being dismissive of propaganda and lies, and calling it exactly what it is. And in point of fact, repeated studies of people who get most of their information from Fox News shows that they are far more misinformed than people who get their news elsewhere. Happy to refer you to the studies if you're really interested in the facts, but I doubt you are.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 31, 2012 04:19

"There's a protest singer singing a protest song....."

Dire Straits
Industrial Disease

Date: May 31, 2012 04:27

mitchflorida1
Fox News ran a very pro-Obama piece today, so why all this complaint about their supposed bias?

Because it is not "supposed" bias, it is actual bias. It is owned by Rupert Murdoch and run by GOP operative Roger Ailes, and has an agenda that makes journalism subservient to its ideological ends. In pursuit of that agenda it lies, distorts, misinforms, and (my favorite) makes up fake news like the annual alleged "war on Christmas" with the purpose of exciting the passions of those misfortunate people such as yourself who choose to watch it.

But Mitch, the question remains: Why do you continually use a Rolling Stones site to bait people with snide Obama-hatred commentary and other political comments completely irrelevant to discussing the music of the Rolling Stones? What is your purpose? Your thoughts on politics have never gone deeper than the basest Fox talking points, which of course convince no one. The people who do think like you are already on your side. The rest of the people here don't care or don't get your references because they are not involved in the U.S. political scene. You know politics are forbidden here, yet you persist. Why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-31 04:31 by 71Tele.

Date: May 31, 2012 04:29

mitchflorida1

What is the purpose of you posting this picture? What does it have to do with the topic of the thread?

Date: May 31, 2012 04:51

jamesfdouglas
Political or not, a song needs to be good for me to care. But when any old millionaires in goofy rock bands like The Stones toss out a one-off 'political' song; it's already doomed for unintentional comedy.

Great point James. The Stones disavowed politics a long time ago. The Stones are not, and arguably, have never been a "political" band. I think Jagger is a serious man. I think his personal politics are serious and intelligent but Jagger has never considered rock-n-roll to be an expression of anything serious. That is the appeal. So a one-off shot at any one particular ideology does not suit Jagger or the Stones. It inevitably comes across as somewhat stupid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-31 04:53 by wanderingspirit66.

Date: May 31, 2012 05:00

wanderingspirit66
jamesfdouglas

Great point James. The Stones disavowed politics a long time ago. The Stones are not, and arguably, have never been a "political" band. I think Jagger is a serious man. I think his personal politics are serious and intelligent but Jagger has never considered rock-n-roll to be an expression of anything serious. That is the appeal. So a one-off shot at any one particular ideology does not suit Jagger or the Stones. It inevitably comes across as somewhat stupid.

Agree. The Stones are not The Clash. Their best "political" song - Street Fighting Man, was really a statement of apathy rather than engagement. When they do enter the political realm it usually comes off as rather forced, or worse, silly (as in that wretched thing Mick did with Jeff Beck on SNL recently).

The bottom line is I do not wish to be preached to by pop musicians, whether it be about religion or politics. However, there are exceptions. When the song transcends the message and it is simply a great song, I can dig it. I think "My Sweet Lord" was great, I don't have to bang a tambourine and chant the Hare Krishna mantra to like the song. I also loved Dylan's "Slow Train Coming" album because he was so damn passionate and the songs moved me. It doesn't matter that I don't share his religious outlook. Not sure the Stones have ever gotten to me with a political song. That's not what the Stones are for.

Date: May 31, 2012 05:21

71Tele
wanderingspirit66
jamesfdouglas

Agree. The Stones are not The Clash. Their best "political" song - Street Fighting Man, was really a statement of apathy rather than engagement. When they do enter the political realm it usually comes off as rather forced, or worse, silly (as in that wretched thing Mick did with Jeff Beck on SNL recently).

The bottom line is I do not wish to be preached to by pop musicians, whether it be about religion or politics. However, there are exceptions. When the song transcends the message and it is simply a great song, I can dig it. I think "My Sweet Lord" was great, I don't have to bang a tambourine and chant the Hare Krishna mantra to like the song. I also loved Dylan's "Slow Train Coming" album because he was so damn passionate and the songs moved me. It doesn't matter that I don't share his religious outlook. Not sure the Stones have ever gotten to me with a political song. That's not what the Stones are for.

There is but one exception that points to Jagger's intellect. Sweet Black Angel. In one simple swoop - Jagger went beyond mainstream politics - so far ahead and beyond where conventional political positionings of the average rock star (Lennon and Angela anybody....) of the time lay. Jagger was post-racial and post-feminist - way back in 1972. His object of admiration was again not for or against a political point of view but simply a tribute to a radical. Jagger did not preach - the satire and parody of both black and white stereotypes says so much more. For me, Sweet Black Angel cements Jagger's socio political world view better than almost anything else he has stated. He has never had to say anything else in this realm

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 31, 2012 05:25

71Tele
mitchflorida1

What is the purpose of you posting this picture? What does it have to do with the topic of the thread?

Agreed, what is this?

Does Mittens play music?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-31 05:35 by uhbuhgullayew.

Posted by: Marianella ()
Date: May 31, 2012 05:40

Mick Jagger isn't preaching -thats funny. By putting politics into songs, we listen and are more aware of the BS. Revolution-Beatles

Date: May 31, 2012 06:09

wanderingspirit66
71Tele
wanderingspirit66
jamesfdouglas

There is but one exception that points to Jagger's intellect. Sweet Black Angel. In one simple swoop - Jagger went beyond mainstream politics - so far ahead and beyond where conventional political positionings of the average rock star (Lennon and Angela anybody....) of the time lay. Jagger was post-racial and post-feminist - way back in 1972. His object of admiration was again not for or against a political point of view but simply a tribute to a radical. Jagger did not preach - the satire and parody of both black and white stereotypes says so much more. For me, Sweet Black Angel cements Jagger's socio political world view better than almost anything else he has stated. He has never had to say anything else in this realm

Great observation. It's because he wrote things as good as "SBA" that the "song" he did with Beck on SNL and things like Sweet Neo Con seem so bad in comparison. Somewhere Mick lost his sublety and nuance, at least in his lyric writing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2012 09:20

mitchflorida1
Street Fighting Man . . but when there were real riots in London, Jagger wimped out. Don't believe what he says in his songs. . it is just chatter.

Watch Fox News, then you will know what is going on in America.

So are you...didn't you offer to buy some of my albums for $300 each or something? The internet is forever mitch.

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: May 31, 2012 11:31

todays morning i listened to the emotional rescue album and i think that

indian girl is also a kind of political song.

btw i like this song very much....

Date: May 31, 2012 12:46

Jagger does good in this dept, when he is not observed. when he slides it in as wry sociological observations. But his "political" songs are embarrassingly tame and lame. The thing from SNL is a little joke. "Neocon is terrible,

Date: May 31, 2012 13:03

Mick Jagger's politics are no different than Barbara Streisand's or Madonna's. To act like he is some great intellectual is preposterous.

He lives one way and preaches another. Still waiting for him to contribute some of his money to charity. When taxes got too high , he just moved to France. Talk is cheap, as are song lyrics.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home