Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick performing at the SNL after-party
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 22, 2012 05:15

mitchflorida1
Was Keith backstage? And if not, why not?

He probably was fuming that so many Stones tunes were being played without him - and the gratuitous Beck thing (really, what WAS the point of that?) had to feel like an extra kick in the head on the way out to Keith. I really think Jagger was making a statement about ability, physical shape, relevance and basically POWER that he could make all of that happen - as that tour gets planned now, I think there will be one Rolling Stone calling the shots. Period. Payback time, Keith. How's that book working out for you now? (and look - Jagger was booked on that show ages ago - it was never intended as a Stones coming out party - they are not there yet - but in my opinion Jagger used the event as a platform to re-establish himself as the full grand poobah of the outfit where it matters - not in print but onstage in front of millions of people - that's where you get your pound of flesh back and he knows it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-22 05:22 by hbwriter.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 22, 2012 05:24

hbwriter
uhbuhgullayew
hbwriter
Mick has thrown down the gauntlet - next year's tour is going to be as much (or more) about him than anything else - he owns the moment - hard to imagine that part of this is not one great big f-you to Keith for writing that book (which, according to an incredibly well-placed source tells me caused more static than anyone ever imagined and continues to cause problems)- Jagger knows they'll still tour - but on his terms - with him calling the primary shots, no doubt. Props to the Foos for placing ego aside and doing some seriously nice work with Mick -

It's Mick Jagger's world. The rest of 'em now just live in it.

Of course Life caused static. No surprise that it continues.......

Props to the Foos for placing egos aside? They should be honored to share the stage with Mick.

we think that - but not all insanely huge rock bands believe that - Foos, to their credit, always step up in situations like this are do seem genuinely honored - maybe my words "put their egos" aside was misleading - what I meant was, despite how big they are (and how busy they were that day!) they were happy to make it all about Mick and I think that's very cool

Got it - thanks hb. Yeah, very cool of them!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 22, 2012 05:48

hbwriter
mitchflorida1

He probably was fuming that so many Stones tunes were being played without him - and the gratuitous Beck thing (really, what WAS the point of that?) had to feel like an extra kick in the head on the way out to Keith. I really think Jagger was making a statement about ability, physical shape, relevance and basically POWER that he could make all of that happen - as that tour gets planned now, I think there will be one Rolling Stone calling the shots. Period. Payback time, Keith. How's that book working out for you now? (and look - Jagger was booked on that show ages ago - it was never intended as a Stones coming out party - they are not there yet - but in my opinion Jagger used the event as a platform to re-establish himself as the full grand poobah of the outfit where it matters - not in print but onstage in front of millions of people - that's where you get your pound of flesh back and he knows it)

+10.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 22, 2012 09:46

ummm.....yeah.

So, back to the point of this thread!

Greenlady, thanks for posting those video links. Wish we could find more. You'd think with hundreds
of people there, more will surface -- hope so!

Has anyone heard any first-hand accounts of the rehearsals or after-party? any more video?

From that first clip what I see is a Mick who has been really accustomed to the gargantuan enormostage,
and who---even in this little performance (and I also noted this in the numbers of SNL proper)---is
recalibrating. shifting the way he relates to and gets energy from and gives energy to the audience.
I see him having to listen to the band more, not be on auto pilot and be paying attention more to
what's unfolding.

-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-22 09:50 by swiss.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 22, 2012 10:09

yes, you'd think there would be more - although as the person who filmed the first clip says, it was dark so video quality wasn't that good. I'm still hoping that "Bitch" will surface: it's fairly early days yet.

I think Mick learnt something from his White House gig: you can't bring an Enormodome-size performance to a small room or a TV studio. Mind you, that was only his opening number: the rest of his White House songs were on a more human scale and very good.

Date: May 22, 2012 10:10

hbwriter
mitchflorida1

You aren't putting too much into this, Chris? We're talking about 70 year olds here...

Sources on both "sides" contradict eachother about how much static LIFE have caused - that is quite funny. Seemingly the Stones's PR-machine works like clockwork (even using the book to confuse us, the fans) - that's my take on it (with the info I've got, that is).

About the rehearsals. Anyone who can confirm for how long they reharsed? I've heard it was a lot more than we think.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 22, 2012 10:43

Chevy Metal with Mick Jagger "Miss You" @ SNL afterparty

Chevy Metal + Mick Jagger (Bitch) @ SNL afterparty

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 22, 2012 10:59

Lien

Lien, thanks for posting.

Holy mother of pearl -- WOW!

InCREDible!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 22, 2012 11:15

WOW ! Mick's ready. Over to you Keith...................."talk is cheap"

sc uk

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: May 22, 2012 11:19

"miss you" sounds much better than the lame chuck leavell heavy version of today and "bitch" also sounds way better.... play the guitars Stones, forget chuck and the horns

Date: May 22, 2012 12:09

Jagger testing the waters. Must feel great for him to get out in front of a NYC audience and rock it up. Fighters did great.In the first video, although it's dark, you can see Taylor staring straight at Jagger, following; sign of a good drummer.

Date: May 22, 2012 12:24

Palace Revolution 2000
Jagger testing the waters. Must feel great for him to get out in front of a NYC audience and rock it up. Fighters did great.In the first video, although it's dark, you can see Taylor staring straight at Jagger, following; sign of a good drummer.

I can't see Taylor, nor a good drummer... winking smiley

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 22, 2012 12:32

Wow, that sounds great

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 22, 2012 13:54

Mick sent a message for we all... the message is.... "The Stones will back soon. Just wait a little time but we will back very soon".

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 22, 2012 14:15

Incredible videos. Thanks for posting

[momsla.com]

"Chevy Metal is a 70?s rock cover band who play deep cuts off albums by Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Queen, and The Stones. What made this cover band such a hot ticket last weekend is that Chevy Metal is made up of 2/5 of the GRAMMY award winning band Foo Fighters. This is a side project for drummer Taylor Hawkins and guitarist Chris Shiflett. The trio is rounded out by Wiley Hodgden on bass."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-22 14:20 by kowalski.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: May 22, 2012 15:28

Posted by: carlostones10 () Date: May 22, 2012 13:54 Mick sent a message for we all... the message is.... "The Stones will back soon. Just wait a little time but we will back very soon". www.stonesplanetbrazil.blogspot.com

Was Mick shitface when he gave the message?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 22, 2012 15:51

* Mick Jagger is known to WAAAAAY more people than Keith Richards. Outside of our little world, lots of casual "fans" only know Mick.

* There was not a lot in "Life" that seemed that bad to me - haven't we all heard about 'Brenda", WW III, etc. before?

* Can Keith still play? That is the question.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 22, 2012 16:50

things aren't always what they seem..

the book caused trouble as hbwriter points out, yes, but Jagger isn't one to hold a bad grudge, if he was there have been a lot more damaging remarks and incidents that would have caused that grudge.

Keith never took care of himself, we see the result of their opposite lifestyles:

Keith went all out for so long, the bohemian outlaw who out- partied everybody

Mick has had that healthy lifestyle for so long

now that book...can a book really be so bad?

its the ability to perform and not wreck the final years.

Keith, can you do it?

aside, Jeff Beck was there to play some outrageous blues Jagger style...its always calculated with Mick...we know he loves those inventive, outrageous players like Rip, Satriani, Beck..I thought it was cool for the show (SNL).

Date: May 22, 2012 17:02

duke richardson
things aren't always what they seem..

the book caused trouble as hbwriter points out, yes, but Jagger isn't one to hold a bad grudge, if he was there have been a lot more damaging remarks and incidents that would have caused that grudge.

Keith never took care of himself, we see the result of their opposite lifestyles:

Keith went all out for so long, the bohemian outlaw who out- partied everybody

Mick has had that healthy lifestyle for so long

now that book...can a book really be so bad?

its the ability to perform and not wreck the final years.

Keith, can you do it?

aside, Jeff Beck was there to play some outrageous blues Jagger style...its always calculated with Mick...we know he loves those inventive, outrageous players like Rip, Satriani, Beck..I thought it was cool for the show (SNL).

what was communicated to me was that it is one thing to speak in the press - but to commit something to paper in the form of a book crossed the line in a serious way - and did in fact cause a very serious bit of damage - and that insiders were surprised by the strength of Mick's reaction

--I'll add - I'm betting Keith uses this moment as a chance to rise to the occasion and prove himself - this band is best when there is conflict and tension and there's bound to be plenty of that in the next few months - Keith seems like he's still got a good amount of fight in him and so I'm hopeful that what we all get next year will be special - not always pretty - but memorable as hell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-22 17:12 by hbwriter.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 22, 2012 17:28

"this band is best when there's conflict and tension"

thumbs upthumbs up

ain't that the truth

Keith felt obligated to apologise...acknowledged the pettiness

I think his disparaging comments about Mick in the book were just one more example of the long sometimes tiresome rivalry between those two...

its just that demon life that has damaged Keith..(sorry for the corrupt quote)

while ironically Mick who wrote that, is like a fine tuned athlete

its amazing.

hope you're right about Keith.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 22, 2012 17:32

Great to watch those videos, thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 22, 2012 18:10

hbwriter
what was communicated to me was that it is one thing to speak in the press - but to commit something to paper in the form of a book crossed the line in a serious way - and did in fact cause a very serious bit of damage - and that insiders were surprised by the strength of Mick's reaction

--I'll add - I'm betting Keith uses this moment as a chance to rise to the occasion and prove himself - this band is best when there is conflict and tension and there's bound to be plenty of that in the next few months - Keith seems like he's still got a good amount of fight in him and so I'm hopeful that what we all get next year will be special - not always pretty - but memorable as hell

I'll second to Chris here of the difference between some stupid remark in the occasional interview and writing a book - even if you state the same thing. I mean, we all might say something stupid reark when we are drunk, passionate, in the hec of the moment, and maybe regret afterwards. But if one sits down and writes a book, and gives some two yaers of one's life for self-reflection and doing that, what you will come up is totally a different deal in terms of seriousness. (Personally, it was a shock to me that Keith couldn't do better, but just recicled the old stupid drunken interview remarks and stories.)

But I'll also second to Chris also that maybe Keith could once again surprise us and find the right 'fighting' feel. The news him being sober for some time now (a year? two?) is actually bigger deal than we might give credit for (thanks to the stupid superman myth around him). I don't think Keith is throwing the towel yet...

- Doxa

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 22, 2012 18:24

Can't wait for the tour

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 22, 2012 18:27

Umm, shiit, that Bitch rocks!!!! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 22, 2012 18:33

Of those clips (thanks!). Well, maybe the band rocks way too hard for typical Stones groove but still - "Bitch" reminds us some of the guitar driven energy this song could be played, and not sterilized to Vegas Stones horn-lead reading where the guitars just freeride aimlessly.

But Jagger seems to be at home in those circumstances. That man still has it. That guy can still rock the joint to pieces if he wishes... God dammit!eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 22, 2012 18:34

swiss
Lien

Lien, thanks for posting.

Holy mother of pearl -- WOW!

InCREDible!

I'll second that. The Foos have got the tempos down. Mick is on fire. Also, anyone notice how nice it is to see Mick front a band that only has 5 members on stage? Jes' sayin'. With that in mind, how bad would a show be, Last Waltz style, where different bands sat in for different songs, Bill W. here. Mick T. there, Mick sang all night, Charlie drummed, Ron did his thing & Keith basked in the glory most of the night but got to rip out JJF to end the show? Hell, even Steve Earle could come on board to do Before They Make Me Run.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 22, 2012 18:35

Mick is so damn good in those after party clips!!!

No frontman is better than an inspired Mick Jagger! eye popping smiley

More !!!!!! just for kicks.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 22, 2012 18:57

Lien
Chevy Metal with Mick Jagger "Miss You" @ SNL afterparty

WOW! Mick completely at home with the band, the audience, thouroughly enjoying himself and absolutely on fire

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 22, 2012 19:56

Sorry HB, but you are really reading way too much into this. Mick was asked to host SNL and he did. He was asked to perform on the show and he did. By all accounts he tried to get the rest of the group involved but it didn't work out.

End of story.

Date: May 22, 2012 20:03

gimmelittledrink
Sorry HB, but you are really reading way too much into this. Mick was asked to host SNL and he did. He was asked to perform on the show and he did. By all accounts he tried to get the rest of the group involved but it didn't work out.

End of story.

Sorry, GLD - in all due respect - but you do not know what I know, as it applies to the book reaction and the results of that reaction. And by all accounts??? How did he try to get the rest of the band involved? Can you please cite one article that makes this claim? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-22 20:07 by hbwriter.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home