Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: The Washington Times about Mick and Keith
Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: May 22, 2012 08:20

Doxa
lem motlow
i've been following the stones long enough to tell you exactly when all of this happened-
-keith came into his own on the 75 tour. his reputation just built from there.i remember it perfectly because i was such a huge fan of his anyway and i was happy to see people begin to recognise how great he was instead of it always being"mick jagger and the rolling stones"

the problem was keith started getting really,really drunk after he kicked the smack and it changed him.instead of the ultimate cool,understated keith this sort of angry guy started coming out.

fans still debate this and i've been over it a hundred times on this board and elsewhere but the whole feud/blowup in the 80s was all keith and heres why-

we all know the story-mick solo etc but why keith was totally out of his mind and the entire feud looked suspiciously like coke paranoia was that all he had to do if he was so upset was-

1.not sign the cbs contract.the "sneaking in "a solo record by mick is batshit crazy sounding.didnt keith read the thing? his lawyers?
2.it was just a record-the old keith,the keith i was a fan of wouldve just said"yeah,micks doing his thing,its not my kinda music but hey,thats what he wants to do" the stones will go on,we're just taking some time off....

but noooo..he loses his mind-publicly,very publicly -and begins attacking mick in the media.in his deluted brain the guy is his brother,wife,best friend and he can say anything he wants about him. mick has"rhino skin"-no the guys human and you destroyed your songwriting partnership with him and almost ended the band.
it took years for people to figure this out i guess and i'm sure some of the "blame mick" crowd are still hanging on but its pretty simple-drug and alcohol addiction ruins lives.even the lives of people who the media try to make into superman.

My picture of the route that led to 80's feud is pretty much the same you described here. I most believe Bill Wyman's accounts on the happenings behind the scene that took place especially during making EMOTIONAL RESCUE. That and then was stopped Mick and Keith's active creative co-work, and probably friendship (whatever of it was left) for good. I blame mostly Keith - or to say it other words: I can't really see what 'wrong' Mick did at the time (expect trusting his own muse in some musical differences, plus being so pragmatic, effective and hard working). Keith and his writers and PR agents have paint this peculiar period with rosey words - Keith cleaned up and get back to form and to take his co-lead "back" , but that evil, control-freak Mick refused to give Keith's 'justified' share, and then he even dared to try a solo career blah blah blah - that is pretty much part of official Keithology. But what is not told in those tales is that Keith basically drunk his brains out at the time, and became, to use the very word, "unbearable". Damn aggressive and selfish. Musically stubborn,which partly co-incidented with decreasing creativity. But claiming to be the boss the others should now trust on. I think it is good to read the 'facts' from the great timeisonourside.com from starting making EMOTIONAL RESCUE to the starting of 1981 tour, and reflect Keith doings - and especially not showings up - during the time. His behavior was so child-like selfish and stupid. That at the same he turned out to be such a hero everyone in rock business praised, especially during 1981/82 tour, didn't do much help to make his ego easier to cope with (and to add Jane Rose later to that scenario,...)

It is during this time I believe Jagger decided "no more. This needs to be end or to be changed radically." As it did - and Jagger got his wish through, no matter what we think of the 80's war generally. Ever since Jagger hasn't accepted Richardsian terms in making records, plans or whatever. That has been the nature of The Rolling Stones since "re-union" of 1989. If they once lived Keith's junkie/drunk time, since 1989 they lived nothing but Jaggerian time. Keith can bully, tell juicy stories to reporters, mock Mick, and show his blade as much as he pleases, but when it goes to serious work, it is Mick Jagger who is the boss. And Keith better to have his telephone not off the hook.

But yeah, Keith has been the darling of the press - the older rock critics still adore their old hero, and tabloids love his big mouth and one liners, so his myth still lives among us, and LIFE being an top of the ice berg in trying to maintain the myth. But for some reason Jagger, despite being the target of the "blame it all Mick" and whatever campaign against his womanizing (remember that constant theme - long time no hear!), greed or whatever, doesn't seem to care of this tabloid PR war against Richards, that pretty much still kept alive still in modern, nostalgic 'classic rock' journalism, presented in such 'serious' magazines as MOJO and UNCUT. He seems to somehow - perhaps like always - being above of that. He just seem to keep the band in control and lead the ship to new adventures. He probably gets his satisfaction there. Actually finding faults in Mick seems to get harder and harder as the yaers go by, especially recently. Keith's "todger" bit was almost an expection. Taking the recent glory (Maroon 5, etc.), Jagger's star also seems to rise in PR section as well. And I am sure Jagger's appearance in SNL didn't hurt his reputation at all.

That Jagger actually is quite a cool guy...

- Doxa

But I don´t think that Keith is aware of that change that his book caused. That fans don´t find him so cool anymore. He does not read here, I am sure Jane Rose does, but she probably won´t tell him about it. People he meets will tell him how great his book was. He said he wrote the book to balance out some things, and it did, but not how he imagined it.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 22, 2012 10:32

Doxa
lem motlow
i've been following the stones long enough to tell you exactly when all of this happened-
-keith came into his own on the 75 tour. his reputation just built from there.i remember it perfectly because i was such a huge fan of his anyway and i was happy to see people begin to recognise how great he was instead of it always being"mick jagger and the rolling stones"

the problem was keith started getting really,really drunk after he kicked the smack and it changed him.instead of the ultimate cool,understated keith this sort of angry guy started coming out.

fans still debate this and i've been over it a hundred times on this board and elsewhere but the whole feud/blowup in the 80s was all keith and heres why-

we all know the story-mick solo etc but why keith was totally out of his mind and the entire feud looked suspiciously like coke paranoia was that all he had to do if he was so upset was-

1.not sign the cbs contract.the "sneaking in "a solo record by mick is batshit crazy sounding.didnt keith read the thing? his lawyers?
2.it was just a record-the old keith,the keith i was a fan of wouldve just said"yeah,micks doing his thing,its not my kinda music but hey,thats what he wants to do" the stones will go on,we're just taking some time off....

but noooo..he loses his mind-publicly,very publicly -and begins attacking mick in the media.in his deluted brain the guy is his brother,wife,best friend and he can say anything he wants about him. mick has"rhino skin"-no the guys human and you destroyed your songwriting partnership with him and almost ended the band.
it took years for people to figure this out i guess and i'm sure some of the "blame mick" crowd are still hanging on but its pretty simple-drug and alcohol addiction ruins lives.even the lives of people who the media try to make into superman.

My picture of the route that led to 80's feud is pretty much the same you described here. I most believe Bill Wyman's accounts on the happenings behind the scene that took place especially during making EMOTIONAL RESCUE. That and then was stopped Mick and Keith's active creative co-work, and probably friendship (whatever of it was left) for good. I blame mostly Keith - or to say it other words: I can't really see what 'wrong' Mick did at the time (expect trusting his own muse in some musical differences, plus being so pragmatic, effective and hard working). Keith and his writers and PR agents have paint this peculiar period with rosey words - Keith cleaned up and get back to form and to take his co-lead "back" , but that evil, control-freak Mick refused to give Keith's 'justified' share, and then he even dared to try a solo career blah blah blah - that is pretty much part of official Keithology. But what is not told in those tales is that Keith basically drunk his brains out at the time, and became, to use the very word, "unbearable". Damn aggressive and selfish. Musically stubborn,which partly co-incidented with decreasing creativity. But claiming to be the boss the others should now trust on. I think it is good to read the 'facts' from the great timeisonourside.com from starting making EMOTIONAL RESCUE to the starting of 1981 tour, and reflect Keith doings - and especially not showings up - during the time. His behavior was so child-like selfish and stupid. That at the same he turned out to be such a hero everyone in rock business praised, especially during 1981/82 tour, didn't do much help to make his ego easier to cope with (and to add Jane Rose later to that scenario,...)

It is during this time I believe Jagger decided "no more. This needs to be end or to be changed radically." As it did - and Jagger got his wish through, no matter what we think of the 80's war generally. Ever since Jagger hasn't accepted Richardsian terms in making records, plans or whatever. That has been the nature of The Rolling Stones since "re-union" of 1989. If they once lived Keith's junkie/drunk time, since 1989 they lived nothing but Jaggerian time. Keith can bully, tell juicy stories to reporters, mock Mick, and show his blade as much as he pleases, but when it goes to serious work, it is Mick Jagger who is the boss. And Keith better to have his telephone not off the hook.

But yeah, Keith has been the darling of the press - the older rock critics still adore their old hero, and tabloids love his big mouth and one liners, so his myth still lives among us, and LIFE being an top of the ice berg in trying to maintain the myth. But for some reason Jagger, despite being the target of the "blame it all Mick" and whatever campaign against his womanizing (remember that constant theme - long time no hear!), greed or whatever, doesn't seem to care of this tabloid PR war against Richards, that pretty much still kept alive still in modern, nostalgic 'classic rock' journalism, presented in such 'serious' magazines as MOJO and UNCUT. He seems to somehow - perhaps like always - being above of that. He just seem to keep the band in control and lead the ship to new adventures. He probably gets his satisfaction there. Actually finding faults in Mick seems to get harder and harder as the yaers go by, especially recently. Keith's "todger" bit was almost an expection. Taking the recent glory (Maroon 5, etc.), Jagger's star also seems to rise in PR section as well. And I am sure Jagger's appearance in SNL didn't hurt his reputation at all.

- Doxa

'Is everything o.k. in the critic section?' Mick asked in El Mocambo on LYL. No it definately hasn't been. Of course not in the tabloids, but not in the 'serious' press either. This critical lazyness has contributed to the decline of Keith's muse. In this perspective it is interesting to remember that the troublesome ER was followed by TY, which Jagger put together and made shine.

Date: May 22, 2012 10:44

GetYerAngie
Doxa
lem motlow

- Doxa

'Is everything o.k. in the critic section?' Mick asked in El Mocambo on LYL. No it definately hasn't been. Of course not in the tabloids, but not in the 'serious' press either. This critical lazyness has contributed to the decline of Keith's muse. In this perspective it is interesting to remember that the troublesome ER was followed by TY, which Jagger put together and made shine.

Agree, but then again Keith arranged the great sessions for Dirty Work, which could have been a great album (judging by the bootlegs), if id hadn't been for a horrendous production and Jagger's minimal participation.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 22, 2012 20:45

Dirty Work outtakes are the best post-TY album. KR's decline begun after 1988 IMHO. His subpar contributions were worsening as time passed by. But his public figure was growing in popularity among RS's fans and with some help from the press who made a hero from the man that wrote satisfaction and could escape from the heroin hell.
After that he is a teddy bear, even children can play with him, now he is not the dangerous junkie, the anti-social rocker.............now he is a lovely granny.....
Once said this, i must admit i love the guy.
And i must say MJ is the greatest rock performer of all the time

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 23, 2012 00:46

DandelionPowderman

"Agree, but then again Keith arranged the great sessions for Dirty Work, which could have been a great album (judging by the bootlegs), if id hadn't been for a horrendous production and Jagger's minimal participation.

so mick bailed out and turned the reins over to keith who was ready to assert himself once again and he came up with friggin dirty work...

but this was now micks fault for not doing enough and the producers fault because...what? keith didnt listen to the final product or he was tricked in some way and they released another record without him knowing it or ...how does that work exactly?

if it was great it was a classic keith record that he saw through when mick wasnt there but it sucked so it was because mick wasnt there..and the producer messed it up-ooook.i get it now,its not like the producer is working for the band, right?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2012 02:24

lem motlow
DandelionPowderman

"Agree, but then again Keith arranged the great sessions for Dirty Work, which could have been a great album (judging by the bootlegs), if id hadn't been for a horrendous production and Jagger's minimal participation.

so mick bailed out and turned the reins over to keith who was ready to assert himself once again and he came up with friggin dirty work...

but this was now micks fault for not doing enough and the producers fault because...what? keith didnt listen to the final product or he was tricked in some way and they released another record without him knowing it or ...how does that work exactly?

if it was great it was a classic keith record that he saw through when mick wasnt there but it sucked so it was because mick wasnt there..and the producer messed it up-ooook.i get it now,its not like the producer is working for the band, right?

thank you lem.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 23, 2012 03:47

Doxa, once again you have shot through the muck with truth.

I read, as a virgin Stones fan at 14, Barbara Charone bio on/for Keith. And that book really, to me, kickstarted the Keith mythology. Charone records every single mocking gesture/comment/attitude from Keith and Anita toward Mick. It made me appreciate Jagger more.
They seemed like jealous, petty two-faced 'friends' who resent Mick for being Mick Jagger. Their bitterness was palpable and I didn't understand it then. And mind you, this book was written during the drug bust period, when Mick was carrying all this shit on his shoulders and Keith and Anita were busy detoxing or whatever. They had absolutely no respect for Mick.
I think Anita bred alot of jealousy between them.

Anita had no reason to be bitter toward 'Jagger' and yet, she spits venom every chance she gets. She , IMO, was a major catalyst for the intitial Keith vs Mick BS. Keith, for all his bravado, is a rather gullible guy. I think she planted that seed in Keith: 'You're better than Jagger...' 'He's got a tiny todger' etc....
That's my impression based on nothing but my own sense of how people work and reading about these said people. And before anyone jumps all over me, it's just an opinon..
Keith, I believe, really loves Mick, respects him. But those old insecurities get the best of him.

If anyone gets a chance to read the Charone book, do it. It's a hack job by a devotee with stars in her eyes, but its revealing.

And ProudMary...you have more balls than the Keefette weenies attacking you.
(That's a compliment)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-23 03:50 by stupidguy2.

Date: May 23, 2012 05:20

DandelionPowderman

Agree, but then again Keith arranged the great sessions for Dirty Work, which could have been a great album (judging by the bootlegs), if id hadn't been for a horrendous production and Jagger's minimal participation.

Very well articulated circular reasoning. It is of course absolutely, certainly and always logically valid...smiling smiley

Date: May 23, 2012 10:25

lem motlow
DandelionPowderman

Have you considered the possibility that Keith needed Mick to pick the best songs, and to finalise this album?

It's not a pissing contest. They bring out the best of eachother.

Most fans are impressed by the songs on the bootlegs from these sessions. aren't you?.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-23 10:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2012 15:51

DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
DandelionPowderman

Have you considered the possibility that Keith needed Mick to pick the best songs, and to finalise this album?

I think that is more than a possibility, given the outcome. But now you're inadvertently placing the whole blame on Keith, because you're saying he couldn't pick a good tune if his life depended on it.

We all know where the true blame lies...Chuck and his writing contribution on Back to Zero.

Date: May 23, 2012 15:59

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
DandelionPowderman

I think that is more than a possibility, given the outcome. But now you're inadvertently placing the whole blame on Keith, because you're saying he couldn't pick a good tune if his life depended on it.

We all know where the true blame lies...Chuck and his writing contribution on Back to Zero.

Remember that the working title on the album was "Back To Zero". I think they thought they had a hit back then winking smiley

Honestly, all I'm saying is that Mick and Keith need eachother to bring out the best stuff. I think their solo albums prove that. The good stuff for TY was already there, apart from Mick's great vocals.

Chris Kimsey's wonderful contributions shouldn't be under rated here, either. He really was a master, both in providing the right sound as well as edit the long jams down to perfect songs...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 24, 2012 00:13

DandelionPowderman

Remember that the working title on the album was "Back To Zero". I think they thought they had a hit back then winking smiley

Honestly, all I'm saying is that Mick and Keith need eachother to bring out the best stuff. I think their solo albums prove that. The good stuff for TY was already there, apart from Mick's great vocals.

Chris Kimsey's wonderful contributions shouldn't be under rated here, either. He really was a master, both in providing the right sound as well as edit the long jams down to perfect songs...

ok,i see what you mean.you're just looking at it as a practical matter rather than assigning blame for the trainwreck,in that case i agree.

truth be told i kinda like that record.the guitar playing is really good and its got a handful of songs that are top notch.hopefully they'll go back and fix it at some point with the outtakes included,and change the title to back to zero.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home