Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Exlie songs without Taylor
Date: May 21, 2012 17:14

TravelinMan
That lick on Exile's Loving Cup right after the middle eight definitely sounds like Taylor, his typical tone, sounding different than the other electric guitar too. I can't tell on those lower string runs.

I think if Taylor played slide on Happy it would sound more like the Brussels version.

On a side note, I always thought Taylor played the iconic run on Brown Sugar! What's he play on there? I guess I thought he played the electric in the right channel, sounds like his rhythm work on Chuck Berry covers.

Yeah, that lick which is running only for a few seconds could be him, but it's hard to tell because of the mix.

Taylor is as good as inaudible on Brown Sugar. On earlier mixes his rhythm guitar was filling in with Keith's riff.

Keith plays the simple slide solo on Happy.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 21, 2012 17:29

DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman
I listened to Turd On The Run again, and in fact Mathijs is right about the second guitar. It's Keith.

It is kinda mixed down, and you can't hear every note clearly, though.

You mean the same "second guitar" I was referring to? Never heard Keith playing this way before or after. Not that this means much with Keith. But why are you so sure it is Keith?

C

Well, thing is that when I listened closely, it really sounded like an open G-guitar playing blues licks just a tad faster than Keith normally does.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like a Telecaster, open G and very simple licks. Something tells me that Taylor would have done this in a more sophisticated way.

It's really hard to even hear the notes, but in the ending they become a bit clearer.

Rather strange to think that Taylor's playing is always "sophisticated". So this is an invalid criterion. It's clearly Taylor. Never heard Keith playing that way and in a certain, subtle way it is ... sophisticated indeed. In its context of course. Though low in the mix, this guitar part makes the song, gives it its schwung: that turd is running fast!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 21, 2012 17:41

DandelionPowderman

Well, thing is that when I listened closely, it really sounded like an open G-guitar playing blues licks just a tad faster than Keith normally does.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like a Telecaster, open G and very simple licks. Something tells me that Taylor would have done this in a more sophisticated way.

It's really hard to even hear the notes, but in the ending they become a bit clearer.

Loud and clear on the Universal remasters. Great work, whoever did it.

C

Date: May 21, 2012 18:48

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman
I listened to Turd On The Run again, and in fact Mathijs is right about the second guitar. It's Keith.

You mean the same "second guitar" I was referring to? Never heard Keith playing this way before or after. Not that this means much with Keith. But why are you so sure it is Keith?

C

Rather strange to think that Taylor's playing is always "sophisticated". So this is an invalid criterion. It's clearly Taylor. Never heard Keith playing that way and in a certain, subtle way it is ... sophisticated indeed. In its context of course. Though low in the mix, this guitar part makes the song, gives it its schwung: that turd is running fast!

On released material, Taylor´s input is indeed always sophisticated, compared to Keith´s playing style which is what we´re comparing with here, even his two notes on Loving Cup.

You should listen more to what Keith plays, if you haven´t heard that lick and rhythm before eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-21 18:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 21, 2012 18:49

liddas
DandelionPowderman

Loud and clear on the Universal remasters. Great work, whoever did it.

C

Loud and clear is a bit of a stretch, imo, but you can at least hear some of the notes and patterns.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 21, 2012 18:55

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman

C

On released material, Taylor´s input is indeed always sophisticated, compared to Keith´s playing style which is what we´re comparing with here, even his two notes on Loving Cup.

You should listen more to what Keith plays, if you haven´t heard that lick and rhythm before eye popping smiley

If the discussion is going in this direction I'm out of it.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 21, 2012 20:40

The second guitar on Turd is played in open G (capo in 2). You can make these easy bends over the open g and d string, typical for the riff! So it's probably Keith. I agree with Dandelion Powderman on that.

When it comes to feeling, it might as well be Mick T, here I agree with Kleermaker. Listen to I'am free 1969, Taylor is playing a lovely repetitive riff with exactly the same feel as totr, but slower. Conclusion: The totr riff is too short and easy to compare Richards and Taylor on style here.

So guys, enjoy your no 1 player.

Date: May 21, 2012 23:50

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman

C

If the discussion is going in this direction I'm out of it.

Sorry, kleermaker. I was mixing up the songs, and I was talking about Loving Cup again - definitely my bad!

The licks on Turd On The Run are definitely a little different than Keith normally does. You´re right there.

Date: May 22, 2012 00:24

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko
The right channel of Loving Cup is Taylor.
The guitar phrase of 2:24~2:32 resembles Taylor of "I'm Free" ['69 live] .
The vibrato of 2:53~2:57 is Taylor's characteristic. It is not Keith.
[Because I am a Japanese, I am poor at English.
I cannot explain well. I'm sorry.

Thanks for the effort.
Listening to the stones without Mick Taylor is like watching tv in black & white to me.

So, if you find out that Loving Cup is indeed without Taylor, it all of a sudden turns into a bad song...?

Not at all. It's a good song. I always knew loving cup is probably without Taylor, that's why I said: 'thanks for the effort'.

Most Jones era footage is in black and white, and the Wood era sounds like grayscale to me smiling smiley

smiling smiley And Brown Sugar, where Taylor is inaudible? A little more colorful? winking smiley

I do prefer the versions were Taylor is audible. He makes all songs more colorful.
I take it Keith is your favorite player, the superior guitarist within the Stones framework, reading your posts all over the years? At least you're the most competent musical poster on iorr.org.

Yep, he is my favorite player, indeed, but so it Taylor and Wood.

Keith is my number one, mainly because of his sound and his song writing. However, when I play solos myself, they tend to be a mix of Taylor and Wood, with hopefully a little of myself in there winking smiley

Or say it as follows: my own solos are an unique mix of Taylor and Wood winking smiley

For me Keith is the most important songwriter of the Stones, followed by Jagger and then Taylor (or maybe better said: Jagger/Taylor). My favourite guitarist is Taylor. My favourite instrumentalist is Jones. I love Keith's riffs, but the rest is for an important part between good and average. I can't discover anything interesting in Wood's playing at all. The Taylor-Richards combination as guitarists is, especially live, hors catégorie.

My favorite Stones album is almost without Keith-riffs, and my favorite Stones song doesn´t feature Keith at all. So the world doesn´t have to be that black and white, kleermaker winking smiley

BTW, what´s your favorite Taylor/Wood-song? Mine is Crotch Music.

What's your favourite Stones-album, Dandelion, and which one your favourite Stones-song? I couldn't say which ones are mine: too difficult. Maybe my favourite Stones-song is Sway.

I can't judge any Wood-song because I must admit that I don't know one. I even don't know all Taylor songs. He has made two solo-albums as far as I know (Mick Taylor - which I love - and A Stone's Thrown - which I only have listened to in fragments). My favourite song from 'Mick Taylor' might be A Minor.

Forgot to get back to you on this one.

- Some Girls
- Moonlight Mile

+ Aftermath is one of my favorite Stones albums ever. Let It Bleed and Black And Blue are probably the best produced (in terms of sound quality only) albums they ever released.

I like parts of the first Taylor solo album, mainly the instrumental ones. The song writing is so so, imo. The two albums later on were shockingly bad, imho. The JJF cover-version should have been prohibited by law.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 24, 2012 01:52

Thought you were banned Amsterdamned? ^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-24 01:55 by His Majesty.

Date: May 24, 2012 01:55

His Majesty

confused smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 24, 2012 02:01

VT22
His Majesty

confused smiley

eye rolling smiley

Date: May 24, 2012 10:07

VT22
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.
Listening to the stones without Mick Taylor is like watching tv in black & white to me.

So, if you find out that Loving Cup is indeed without Taylor, it all of a sudden turns into a bad song...?

Not at all. It's a good song. I always knew loving cup is probably without Taylor, that's why I said: 'thanks for the effort'.

Most Jones era footage is in black and white, and the Wood era sounds like grayscale to me smiling smiley

smiling smiley And Brown Sugar, where Taylor is inaudible? A little more colorful? winking smiley

I do prefer the versions were Taylor is audible. He makes all songs more colorful.
I take it Keith is your favorite player, the superior guitarist within the Stones framework, reading your posts all over the years? At least you're the most competent musical poster on iorr.org.

Keith is my number one, mainly because of his sound and his song writing. However, when I play solos myself, they tend to be a mix of Taylor and Wood, with hopefully a little of myself in there winking smiley

Or say it as follows: my own solos are an unique mix of Taylor and Wood winking smiley

For me Keith is the most important songwriter of the Stones, followed by Jagger and then Taylor (or maybe better said: Jagger/Taylor). My favourite guitarist is Taylor. My favourite instrumentalist is Jones. I love Keith's riffs, but the rest is for an important part between good and average. I can't discover anything interesting in Wood's playing at all. The Taylor-Richards combination as guitarists is, especially live, hors catégorie.

My favorite Stones album is almost without Keith-riffs, and my favorite Stones song doesn´t feature Keith at all. So the world doesn´t have to be that black and white, kleermaker winking smiley

What's your favourite Stones-album, Dandelion, and which one your favourite Stones-song? I couldn't say which ones are mine: too difficult. Maybe my favourite Stones-song is Sway.

I can't judge any Wood-song because I must admit that I don't know one. I even don't know all Taylor songs. He has made two solo-albums as far as I know (Mick Taylor - which I love - and A Stone's Thrown - which I only have listened to in fragments). My favourite song from 'Mick Taylor' might be A Minor.

- Some Girls
- Moonlight Mile

+ Aftermath is one of my favorite Stones albums ever. Let It Bleed and Black And Blue are probably the best produced (in terms of sound quality only) albums they ever released.

I like parts of the first Taylor solo album, mainly the instrumental ones. The song writing is so so, imo. The two albums later on were shockingly bad, imho. The JJF cover-version should have been prohibited by law.

Shockingly bad, prohibited by law. Only the pope would say that.

grinning smiley

Date: May 24, 2012 10:54

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

- Some Girls
- Moonlight Mile

Shockingly bad, prohibited by law. Only the pope would say that.

grinning smiley

grinning smiley

Calling his other 2 albums "shockingly bad" is ridicule as well.I don't mind your dislike for Taylor's songwriting, but please don't try to escape on semantics here. It doesn't suite you. Besides, I'm no bookkeeper.
Next time I post the queen's picture.winking smiley

Date: May 24, 2012 11:03

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 24, 2012 20:04

It's a tough song to sing and play at the same time (coincidentally like many stones songs, wonder why) and I like Taylor's version. I just wish he included a riproaring solo.

Posted by: SomeGirlsXXX ()
Date: May 24, 2012 20:42

Has anyone caught Mick Taylor's shows in recent years? What did you think?

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1138
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home