Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Exlie songs without Taylor
Date: May 20, 2012 16:06

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko
The right channel of Loving Cup is Taylor.
The guitar phrase of 2:24~2:32 resembles Taylor of "I'm Free" ['69 live] .
The vibrato of 2:53~2:57 is Taylor's characteristic. It is not Keith.
[Because I am a Japanese, I am poor at English.
I cannot explain well. I'm sorry.

Thanks for the effort.
Listening to the stones without Mick Taylor is like watching tv in black & white to me.

So, if you find out that Loving Cup is indeed without Taylor, it all of a sudden turns into a bad song...?

Not at all. It's a good song. I always knew loving cup is probably without Taylor, that's why I said: 'thanks for the effort'.

Most Jones era footage is in black and white, and the Wood era sounds like grayscale to me smiling smiley

smiling smiley And Brown Sugar, where Taylor is inaudible? A little more colorful? winking smiley

I've always said that BS as a studio version is boring BS, but great when performed live during the 71-73 years. So the song in itself must be great.

Let me guess, the same goes for Gimmie Shelter, right? winking smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 20, 2012 16:25

His Majesty
Mathijs

You think so? It's that SG through HiWatt amp to me, quite the same as HTW.

Mathijs

Are you high?

Taylors tone is clean on 1969 Loving Cup, not clean on Honky Tonk.

No, I am not high, haven't been for quite a while, unfortunately.

But, I hope we are talking about the same parts though. Richards is very heavy open G guitar, a sound very simular to the Hyde Park HTW and LC guitar. Richards doe sthe country bends throughout the verses. Introducing the verses is a quite clean guitar doing quite the same country bends: that's Taylor on his SG. It's the same sound as on HTW, with just a little less drive. I reckon he closed the volume pot a bit more on the SG.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 20, 2012 16:27

Taylors guitar tone is crystal clean on Loving Cup, bluesy and driven for the lead fills on Honky Tonk... totally different sounds.

Keith is doing the bends you are focusing on, he's not dropping out for that.

But really, nevermind. eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 16:34 by His Majesty.

Date: May 20, 2012 16:28

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.
Listening to the stones without Mick Taylor is like watching tv in black & white to me.

So, if you find out that Loving Cup is indeed without Taylor, it all of a sudden turns into a bad song...?

We'll never find outcool smiley

Not as long as people like yourself wants Taylor to be on the track winking smiley

Honestly, I´m surprised that people say that the rhythm guitar playing on LC is his style. Even when he plays something similar (like the rhythm on CYHMK) it sounds so different.

I really don't hear Taylor on LC, it really is all exemplary Richards. Except...the little solo line after the middle 8. That sounds quite standard pentatonic Taylor to me. I don't have headphones here at the moment so I can't hear if it's a dub or whatever, but that part sounds like it could be Taylor.

Mathijs

Date: May 20, 2012 16:31

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

Yeah, that´s the few seconds I was talking about.

However, I´, amazed that so many people believe the rhythm guitar on the track is trademark Taylor eye popping smiley

We'll never find outcool smiley

Not as long as people like yourself wants Taylor to be on the track winking smiley

Honestly, I´m surprised that people say that the rhythm guitar playing on LC is his style. Even when he plays something similar (like the rhythm on CYHMK) it sounds so different.

I really don't hear Taylor on LC, it really is all exemplary Richards. Except...the little solo line after the middle 8. That sounds quite standard pentatonic Taylor to me. I don't have headphones here at the moment so I can't hear if it's a dub or whatever, but that part sounds like it could be Taylor.

Mathijs

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 20, 2012 16:34

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

Not at all. It's a good song. I always knew loving cup is probably without Taylor, that's why I said: 'thanks for the effort'.

Most Jones era footage is in black and white, and the Wood era sounds like grayscale to me smiling smiley

smiling smiley And Brown Sugar, where Taylor is inaudible? A little more colorful? winking smiley

I've always said that BS as a studio version is boring BS, but great when performed live during the 71-73 years. So the song in itself must be great.

I find the studio version pretty boring after 1 minute, but the live versions during the 72-73 never tire.

I miss Jones and/or Taylor on most of Bleed. It's a bit sterile to me, though the songs in themselves are great as the live versions prove during the 69-73 years.

Date: May 20, 2012 16:35

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

I find the studio version pretty boring after 1 minute, but the live versions during the 72-73 never tire.

I miss Jones and/or Taylor on most of Bleed. It's a bit sterile to me, though the songs in themselves are great as the live versions prove during the 69-73 years.

grinning smiley You found your God, awright

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 16:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 20, 2012 16:36

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

I do prefer the versions were Taylor is audible. He makes all songs more colorful.
I take it Keith is your favorite player, the superior guitarist within the Stones framework, reading your posts all over the years? At least you're the most competent musical poster on iorr.org.

Date: May 20, 2012 16:43

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

grinning smiley You found your God, awright

I'm totally agnostic. cool smiley
I do love the Jones Stones as well. You know Aftermath, BetweenTB, Their Satanic and of course Through The Past, D belong to my favourite Stones albums.

Date: May 20, 2012 16:46

Rhythm & Melody. grinning smiley thumbs up

Date: May 20, 2012 17:31

His Majesty
Rhythm & Melody. grinning smiley thumbs up

Exactly, and some excellent songwriters. smileys with beer

Date: May 20, 2012 18:05

His Majesty
Taylors guitar tone is crystal clean on Loving Cup, bluesy and driven for the lead fills on Honky Tonk... totally different sounds.

No smart ass, I am not focussing on the heavy driven open G guitar as I mentioned several times. It's the tremelo picked clean guitar doing country bends equal to HTW, and these are Taylor.

Check out at 1:30: first the tremelo picked clean chords, then the country bend that constitutes the intro of HTW. Again: the clean guitar, not the fat over-driven Richards part. And the clean guitar sound is from the same amp and guitar as the overdriven sound from Taylor on HTW.

Mathijs

Date: May 20, 2012 18:21

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

No. But it is possible the same goes for Gimme Shelter.

Date: May 20, 2012 19:55

VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

I do prefer the versions were Taylor is audible. He makes all songs more colorful.
I take it Keith is your favorite player, the superior guitarist within the Stones framework, reading your posts all over the years? At least you're the most competent musical poster on iorr.org.

Yep, he is my favorite player, indeed, but so it Taylor and Wood.

Keith is my number one, mainly because of his sound and his song writing. However, when I play solos myself, they tend to be a mix of Taylor and Wood, with hopefully a little of myself in there winking smiley

Date: May 20, 2012 19:56

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

No. But it is possible the same goes for Gimme Shelter.

Check your spelling, reg. the original version winking smiley

Date: May 20, 2012 21:34

DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

Keith is my number one, mainly because of his sound and his song writing. However, when I play solos myself, they tend to be a mix of Taylor and Wood, with hopefully a little of myself in there winking smiley

Or say it as follows: my own solos are an unique mix of Taylor and Wood winking smiley

For me Keith is the most important songwriter of the Stones, followed by Jagger and then Taylor (or maybe better said: Jagger/Taylor). My favourite guitarist is Taylor. My favourite instrumentalist is Jones. I love Keith's riffs, but the rest is for an important part between good and average. I can't discover anything interesting in Wood's playing at all. The Taylor-Richards combination as guitarists is, especially live, hors catégorie.

Date: May 20, 2012 22:10

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

Or say it as follows: my own solos are an unique mix of Taylor and Wood winking smiley

For me Keith is the most important songwriter of the Stones, followed by Jagger and then Taylor (or maybe better said: Jagger/Taylor). My favourite guitarist is Taylor. My favourite instrumentalist is Jones. I love Keith's riffs, but the rest is for an important part between good and average. I can't discover anything interesting in Wood's playing at all. The Taylor-Richards combination as guitarists is, especially live, hors catégorie.

My favorite Stones album is almost without Keith-riffs, and my favorite Stones song doesn´t feature Keith at all. So the world doesn´t have to be that black and white, kleermaker winking smiley

BTW, what´s your favorite Taylor/Wood-song? Mine is Crotch Music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 22:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 20, 2012 22:43

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22
magee mineko

Thanks for the effort.

My favorite Stones album is almost without Keith-riffs, and my favorite Stones song doesn´t feature Keith at all. So the world doesn´t have to be that black and white, kleermaker winking smiley

BTW, what´s your favorite Taylor/Wood-song? Mine is Crotch Music.

What's your favourite Stones-album, Dandelion, and which one your favourite Stones-song? I couldn't say which ones are mine: too difficult. Maybe my favourite Stones-song is Sway.

I can't judge any Wood-song because I must admit that I don't know one. I even don't know all Taylor songs. He has made two solo-albums as far as I know (Mick Taylor - which I love - and A Stone's Thrown - which I only have listened to in fragments). My favourite song from 'Mick Taylor' might be A Minor.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:04

Going back to Loving Cup, I found this supposedly early instrumental outtake of the song. Quite a different tune from what it would soon become:

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:31

LieB
Going back to Loving Cup, I found this supposedly early instrumental outtake of the song. Quite a different tune from what it would soon become:

Thanks, very interesting ...

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 20, 2012 23:38

His Majesty
magee mineko
I cannot explain well. I'm sorry. ]
[www.facebook.com]

You explained it perfectly. thumbs up

indeed ,perfectly , but also wrongly though .
left channel accoustic
right channel electric is certainly keith in spite of a few seconds resembling a taylor like phrasing ( playing together would rub off ) would still leave 99% of the track -keith.
The vibrato of 2:53~2:57 is Taylor's characteristic this is keiths' (faster) vibrato heard on shake your hips.

Mathijs
His Majesty

No smart ass, I am not focussing on the heavy driven open G guitar as I mentioned several times. It's the tremelo picked clean guitar doing country bends equal to HTW, and these are Taylor.

Check out at 1:30: first the tremelo picked clean chords, then the country bend that constitutes the intro of HTW. Again: the clean guitar, not the fat over-driven Richards part. And the clean guitar sound is from the same amp and guitar as the overdriven sound from Taylor on HTW.

Mathijs

Well ,luckily this is in stereo and therefor much easier to distinguish , actually without a doubt : keiths is the first guitar right channel , taylor the other similar to dead flowers.

this to me represents the "new" richards solo style started with gimmie shelter and included leather jacket , dead flowers ( no , not the solo), wild horses , coming down again ,short and curlies , fingerprint file ,maybe reaching its peak on fool to cry ?

Date: May 21, 2012 00:22

straycatblues73
His Majesty
magee mineko
I cannot explain well. I'm sorry. ]
[www.facebook.com]

You explained it perfectly. thumbs up

indeed ,perfectly , but also wrongly though .
left channel accoustic
right channel electric is certainly keith in spite of a few seconds resembling a taylor like phrasing ( playing together would rub off ) would still leave 99% of the track -keith.
The vibrato of 2:53~2:57 is Taylor's characteristic this is keiths' (faster) vibrato heard on shake your hips.

Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Well ,luckily this is in stereo and therefor much easier to distinguish , actually without a doubt : keiths is the first guitar right channel , taylor the other similar to dead flowers.

this to me represents the "new" richards solo style started with gimmie shelter and included leather jacket , dead flowers ( no , not the solo), wild horses , coming down again ,short and curlies , fingerprint file ,maybe reaching its peak on fool to cry ?

Right on! The few seconds with the Taylor-esque phrasing is a bit of a mystery, though...

About Keith´s "vibrato", he also uses this phrasing to end a large part of his solos live.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 21, 2012 12:16

Re: Turd on the Run. I always thought the fast pull-offs in open position that start after the 1st minute were played by MT.

Re: Loving Cup. If I have to bet money, I would say it is all KR, save that short lick that starts at 2.28 that sounds typical Taylor to me.

C

Date: May 21, 2012 12:50

I listened to Turd On The Run again, and in fact Mathijs is right about the second guitar. It's Keith.

It is kinda mixed down, and you can't hear every note clearly, though.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 21, 2012 13:38

There's also that fast electric guitar picking on TOTR just as it fades out - I always asssumed that was Taylor

Date: May 21, 2012 15:09

Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Thank you for your smart ass comment and your assumption that it's the same guitar and amp.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 21, 2012 15:10

DandelionPowderman
I listened to Turd On The Run again, and in fact Mathijs is right about the second guitar. It's Keith.

You mean the same "second guitar" I was referring to? Never heard Keith playing this way before or after. Not that this means much with Keith. But why are you so sure it is Keith?

C

Date: May 21, 2012 15:15

LieB

I doubt very much that it dates from 1969 though.

Date: May 21, 2012 15:34

liddas
DandelionPowderman

You mean the same "second guitar" I was referring to? Never heard Keith playing this way before or after. Not that this means much with Keith. But why are you so sure it is Keith?

C

Well, thing is that when I listened closely, it really sounded like an open G-guitar playing blues licks just a tad faster than Keith normally does.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like a Telecaster, open G and very simple licks. Something tells me that Taylor would have done this in a more sophisticated way.

It's really hard to even hear the notes, but in the ending they become a bit clearer.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 21, 2012 16:54

That lick on Exile's Loving Cup right after the middle eight definitely sounds like Taylor, his typical tone, sounding different than the other electric guitar too. I can't tell on those lower string runs.

I think if Taylor played slide on Happy it would sound more like the Brussels version.

On a side note, I always thought Taylor played the iconic run on Brown Sugar! What's he play on there? I guess I thought he played the electric in the right channel, sounds like his rhythm work on Chuck Berry covers.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home