Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Steve Winwood, anyone seen him lately? Good show?
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 11, 2012 08:41

He's coming to my town in a couple of days and I'm thinking about going. Anyone seen this show?

Re: OT - Steve Winwood, anyone seen him lately? Good show?
Date: May 11, 2012 09:29

doubt he would be bad

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 11, 2012 09:33

He plays enough Traffic and Spencer Davis material to keep you happy. But can't say I like the new muzak too much. He does a great version of Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys and Dear Mr Fantasy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 22:09 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 11, 2012 10:41

Hi Send It,

Yeah, definitely go if the ticket price is reasonable.
The guy has more talent to burn than just about any of his contemporaries and I would concur with m'learned friends' comments above!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 10:42

Definitly GO!

Date: May 11, 2012 11:52

thanx, you guys convinced me, i'm in!

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: May 11, 2012 16:29

SW is doing a benefit show for Radnor Lake Natural Area in Nashville next week.
I'm looking forward to seeing him for first time.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 11, 2012 16:35

I saw him a few years back opening for Tom Petty, and the year before that with Eric Clapton at the 2d Crossroads festival.

He was one of the stars of the Crossroads festival, absolutely tearing up the guitar on Dear. Mr. Fantasy, and sounding great. He and Clapton were having fun with each other, and pushing each other. Great show.

He was kind of eh opening for Petty. Not the same fire. Professional and enjoyable, but not a big deal.

(Saw him back in 1972 with Traffic, and that was great, but not really "lately.")

I'll be curious what you think.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 18:19

Got tix for his Beacon show in NYC. I think his tour kicks off tonight.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 11, 2012 18:26

custom55
Got tix for his Beacon show in NYC. I think his tour kicks off tonight.

Winwood at the Beacon. Sweet!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 11, 2012 21:18

I like Steve Winwood.

However, my main gripe with him is the shoddy way that his back-catalogue has been treated.

The first 3 Traffic albums have been reissued, though John Barleycorn Must Die was the only album to be released in deluxe format. Welcome to The Canteen has also been reissued.

Why Low Spark hasn't been reissued in 2cd deluxe is beyond me: Traffic were gigging regularly at the time. Likewise, On The Road, with the wonderful Muscle Shoals musicians, should be reissued in a deluxe format.

Additionally, Steve Winwood's first album is now deleted on cd. Rumour has it that the Arc of A Diver album was to be reissued as a deluxe album; this hasn't come to fruition.

It would be great if Steve could get his back catalogue in order.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 12, 2012 02:22

He's kick ass. I see him every chance I get. Got a voice like no other.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 04:30

Haven't seen him lately, but my guess is, he's excellent. Under-rated guitar player, too. He's got some serious chops.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 16:58

I saw him open for Tom Petty maybe 2 years ago with a very short set. Not a dynamic personality onstage by any means, but the guy has a great catalog to choose from and most sounds great live. In maybe 30 minutes, he played some Traffic, Spencer Davis, 70s solo, a little 80s solo and a new song or two, handling vocals and switching from keyboards to guitar.

The stuff from the 60s and 70s was great. His band could not pull off a song from the 80s (Higher Love) as well, as they simply did not have the right complement of instrumentation.

Highlights: I'm A Man, Dr Mr Fantasy

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 12, 2012 19:54

Get there early enough to check out his opening act Bobby Long and let me know what you think. I've seen him a few times and I think he's pretty good.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 20:15

I just can't believe, most of you have the opportunity to go too concerts of such people as Steve Winwood, Procol Harum and that bands, and you ask if you have to go? If anybody like to, I can go to England or the States, and any other can come to Argentina, to see the kind of crap we see here.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 23:13

Hey Dandelion...perfect timing to bring up Procol Harum. I will be seeing them this Summer...though they are the opener for Yes, and I will probably not stay for Yes. Only $10 US a ticket.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 12, 2012 23:25

Procol Harum are great too. I love their live album with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.

Salty Dog is also a great album. I have to give credit to Salvo Records for their reissue program for Procol.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 13, 2012 08:30

Stevie is always good and it's his birthday today.

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 13, 2012 18:09

I too saw him with Petty a few years back. The classics sounded great but unfortunately his new music sounds half-baked and demo-like in comparison.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:03

buffalo7478
Hey Dandelion...perfect timing to bring up Procol Harum. I will be seeing them this Summer...though they are the opener for Yes, and I will probably not stay for Yes. Only $10 US a ticket.

Thank you for make me feel so sad!! sad smiley I think I will never see Procol, or what remains of Procol haha

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 14, 2012 21:27

DEFINATELY, go see him. His band is super hot! He rocks and plays his heart out and his voice is sweet and beautiful as ever. He will probably surprise you with his guitar playing as well. This guy is just superb. Don't walk, run is my best advice. peace

Date: May 15, 2012 07:08

Dandelion - yes, its easy to take things for granted. Don't forget to be grateful that you're from Argentina - it's such a lovely place with beautiful women everywhere and a great culture! I was in Buenos Aires in 2007 and fell in love with the place.

Just back from the show and Steve and his band sounded great (I enjoyed the opener as well, CindyC ). It was a bit of a "blue ball" set list for "tourists" in that most radio favorites were either not played (back in the high life, valerie, roll with it, etc.) or given a jazzed-up re-arrangement that took some of the hook and familiarity out of it (higher love). But it was a musician's band for a musician sensibility, with a lot of jazz & jamming & virtuosity. The crowd here in St. Louis was incredibly enthusiastic and into it, which seemed to please Steve very much, although he didn't talk to the audience very much at all or tell any stories.

Thanx.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 15, 2012 17:49

Go for sure! Saw him with Robert Cray several years ago.

He's no Mick Jagger on stage, but plays excellent songs very well - and still has the voice.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 15, 2012 19:12

The tour with Clapton was truly great! Likewise, Winwoods's tours with The Grateful Dead( and their later incarnations) were also great.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 16, 2012 04:20

Winwood is amazing. Stunningly talented, and in ways that will surprise you, and make you shake your head with respectful admiration of his unassuming nature. (He can rock out on guitar and hold his own quite easily with the Claptons of the world. That's no small feat...)

And...IMO...my truly humble O...While You See a Chance (the full version and not the radio edit) and The Finer Things (ditto on the edit) are two examples of absolutely perfect...and I mean *perfect*...pop songs. With the obligatory apologies to those who think "pop" can never be anything other than nursery rhymes, or worse yet...Beatles tunes...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-16 05:12 by rocker1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home