Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Which warhorse you hate the most,and when they play it, its bathroom time?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 11, 2012 14:04

Tumbling Dice

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 11, 2012 15:13

Sympathy
You Can't Always Get What You Want

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 11, 2012 15:35

flacnvinyl
Sympathy
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Yes, have to agree,Sympathy with that fake percussion arrangement and "you can't",with that audience sing along,with lighters on,horrible..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 11, 2012 16:01

@ROPEN - Midnight Rambler is the perfect substitute for Sympathy. YCAGWYW needs to be replaced permanently by Let It Bleed..

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 11, 2012 16:03

I would never ever leave going to the bathroom. Don`t wanna miss a single note or leave my (frontrow)-place.
I was shocked when I came to the US for the first time in 1989 and on later tours where people were seated in stadium-floors, that hundred (or thousand?) of people were leaving for a pee/beer/food when

a) "we are playing a new song"
b) " playing a ballad " (with the exception of Angie)
c) Keith is playing his numbers

But everybody was up to clap their hands when they play Satisfaction.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 16:16 by electricmud.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 11, 2012 16:49

It's NEVER bathroom time for me at a Stones show (I make sure those needs are attended to before the show starts), but I would be quite happy if they never played "Rock and a Hard Place Again". Though not quite a "warhorse" they have continued to force this mediocrity on an uncomprehending public for years.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 11, 2012 17:31

it´s only rock´n´roll
i love the studio version but they don´t bring it live anymore
I hope, they don´t play miss you the way, jagger did at the white house...

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: May 11, 2012 17:36

It's quiet simpple:

Start me up & Satisfaction - can't hear them anymore sad smiley

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 11, 2012 17:53

I usually drink a lot of beer so by the time Miss you starts I am off to the men's.

Miss You seems to be the hands down favorite for the bathroom break!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 11, 2012 18:10

Yes, "Miss You" is my "favorite", too, but in SFTD they seem to use the same sample shit since '89, can't stand it meanwhile, particularly after having heard the guitar battle on LA Friday ... So I would ban Sympathy except they resolve to play real instruments again.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 11, 2012 18:16

24FPS
I can't stand whatever warhorse they play at the very end all amped up and extended without any real musicality. That's when it's time to get the hell out of there, get to your car, look back at the fireworks (if it's a stadium) and then split before gridlock.

Oh my god, YES!

Date: May 11, 2012 18:39

Sympathy
Miss You
Start Me Up
IORR
JJF
Brown Sugar

In general, the songs they have been doing on cruise control for 300 years...

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 11, 2012 19:01

They don't play it all the time, but I'm realy disapointed when I hope for a cool song like say Moonlight Mile, or Sway and they play Angie instead.

Miss you is a good second one. It's a good, original song, but it's HOW they perform it, it's on automatic pilot.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 20:02

Brown Sugar
Satisfaction
Miss You...

...although there were a few shows where they actually did breathe some new life into these. Some shows they just sounded too much on auto-pilot. I never tire of JJF!

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 11, 2012 21:57

mitchflorida1
Midnight Rambler has always bored me.
Praise be - another fan who finds MR a bore. THANK YOU!!smoking smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 11, 2012 22:07

Start Me Upthumbs down

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 11, 2012 22:17

I thought I was the only one who doesn't like "Sympathy" - good to know. Most RS songs never get old or tired for me, 'cept that one.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 11, 2012 22:24

I think the thing with the warhorses is that the short ones still work - like HTW, BS, and JJF but some of the longer songs sound - as said on this thread - like they're on automatic pilot. However, I still would be delighted to hear the boys play ANYTHING LIVE one last time (even Midnight Rambler).smoking smiley

Posted by: thePenguin ()
Date: May 12, 2012 00:09

i have never taken a break during a stones concert.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 12, 2012 00:23

I love all the war horses... I love most Stones songs.... esp live.... wtf? are you people saying you never listen to side 3 of Hot Rocks anymore? Never listen to one of the greatest album side of all time??!!...
Side three
1."Jumpin' Jack Flash" – 3:41
2."Street Fighting Man" – 3:14
3."Sympathy for the Devil" – 6:18
4."Honky Tonk Women" – 3:00
5."Gimme Shelter" – 4:31

playin that right now(on CD)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-13 20:40 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 12, 2012 00:44

I thought this was a board for people who LIKE the Stones.

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: May 12, 2012 01:06

Well said, Send It to me.
There is no such thing as leaving your heroes when they´re playing / acting for you (well, paid heroes, nowadays free heroes are a utopia), not even for 5 minutes, and especially, not to take a piss! If you can’t hold it, or if you drink like a sponge, get a freaking diaper … there must be some with the tongue logo – I even saw the Stones logo on a roll of toilet paper once!
Also for this reason, I prefer the “dry” and healthier pleasure of a good pot (not a pot to piss in!) to enhance the experience of being carried away by their music (I’m smoking one right now, weren’t it noticeable)

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: May 12, 2012 01:09

Miss you.

How could you not like Midnight Rambler.

Date: May 12, 2012 01:29

zumabitch
Well said, Send It to me.
There is no such thing as leaving your heroes when they´re playing / acting for you (well, paid heroes, nowadays free heroes are a utopia), not even for 5 minutes, and especially, not to take a piss! If you can’t hold it, or if you drink like a sponge, get a freaking diaper … there must be some with the tongue logo – I even saw the Stones logo on a roll of toilet paper once!
Also for this reason, I prefer the “dry” and healthier pleasure of a good pot (not a pot to piss in!) to enhance the experience of being carried away by their music (I’m smoking one right now, weren’t it noticeable)

Thanx! The word "hero," tho - I dunno. Artistic heroes, yes, certainly. People whose style I try to emulate - yes, absolutely. But a hero is, to my way of thinking, someone who does something self-sacrificial & brave in order to help others, like Oscar Schindler or Ghandi.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 12, 2012 02:20

Send It To me
Well, "send it to me" l think most here don't just like The Stones they love The Rolling Stones,but that does not mean,that we have to follow them blindly,and drink Kool Aid if they ask us to,so to point out that some of us here don't like certain songs that have been playing a million times,should not be interpreted as slight to the band,maybe my use of the word "Hate" was a bit too much,but in my case there are certain songs that if have to hear them live once again,it will make wanna go the bathroom not just to take a piss but to throw up....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: May 12, 2012 04:00

ROPENI
Send It To me
Well, "send it to me" l think most here don't just like The Stones they love The Rolling Stones,but that does not mean,that we have to follow them blindly,and drink Kool Aid if they ask us to,so to point out that some of us here don't like certain songs that have been playing a million times,should not be interpreted as slight to the band,maybe my use of the word "Hate" was a bit too much,but in my case there are certain songs that if have to hear them live once again,it will make wanna go the bathroom not just to take a piss but to throw up....

In other words, smells like team spirit? Yes, I suppose it does. Perhaps there are times when Kool Aid isn't bad. I dunno, there's something beautiful in every bad thing.

"there are worse things than dancing, I suppose" - mick jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 04:07 by Send It To me.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 12, 2012 04:58

SFTD
YCAGWYW
Miss You
Start Me Up

Sympathy is way past it's shelf life. Plus the GYYYO version is impossible to beat, a high water mark that they can't even get close to as old men.

Brown Sugar and expecially Honky Tonk Woman are beaten-to-death warhorses. Im my opinion there is a way out for these two songs such that they make the hypothetcal set list. They have to be shortened to their regular length and they should not make 'events' of them.

In other words, when they play HTW they _play_ it as a 3:40 SONG, focus on the music and the song. So that would rule out Mick running back and forth on the stage and being 300 feet from Keith and the rest of the band. They need to deliver on that song musically. Obviously the Gimme Shelter performance is the kind of thing I am driving at.

Same thing for Brown Sugar, stay together as a cohesive band an _play_ the song and only play as many bars as there are on the recording.

They need to surprise us and find a new song in their catalogue to turn into an 'event,' or if not an event at least an exteneded and interesting jam. Crazy Mama might be a candidate for a high-energy extended jam. Or perhaps: Dance Little Sister - Hang Fire - Hot Stuff - Let Me Go - Respectable - Silver Train - Soul Survivor - Too Tight

My two bits.

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: May 12, 2012 05:29

Undercover of the Night.

Date: May 12, 2012 05:42

"when is beethoven going to stop playing the ninth symphony already??? geeez."

bitch and moan
bitch and moan
bitch and moan
bitch and moan
bitch and moan
bitch and moan
bitch and moan
bitch and moan
bitch and moan
bitch and moan
bitch and moan

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 12, 2012 12:24

Claire_M
I thought I was the only one who doesn't like "Sympathy" - good to know. Most RS songs never get old or tired for me, 'cept that one.

The song doesn't get old, I think, but the lousy post '89 sample makes it unlistenable. If they play real instruments and if the guitars are prominent in the mix and Keith plays anything that sounds like a solo (please no awkward efforts like on SAL) and does not play the "unique" solo that he plays on all songs for twenty years or more, it is an all time great one ...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home