Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling with the Stones - Thanks Bill
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 10, 2012 22:55

I just spent a few weeks savouring this book - a little bit each day.

I loved it.

It's not massively detailed (especially in places where you want it to be) and it's a bit of a rush at the end but it was a nice journey and the pictures are fabulous.

Sadly I came to the conclusion that Keith is a selfish prick though.

His behaviour towards his band mates at times was reprehensible. Bill mentions it many times in an understated way, but you know it irritated him.

5 years playing and 20 years hanging around for KEITH mainly.

Re: Rolling with the Stones - Thanks Bill
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 11, 2012 00:42

I need to read this again.

Date: May 11, 2012 01:12

It's a fantastic book. The only thing he really screws up is the 'number' of the albums. I forget which one but he repeats one, it might be Undercover being the same number of LPs as with Tattoo You.

I really like the Emotional Rescue bits, how the LP originally started to take shape and what was heldover for Tattoo You...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 11, 2012 01:27

Re Gravity Boy's comments and Keith, sad to say I agree with you and Wyman.

So ironic that Keith in the 70's came to personify some of the stuff Brian put people through. Be interesting -- and I am hopeful -- that Keith of 2013 may be more professional, kinder to Jagger and Watts and, hopefully, to Wyman.

One thing I've learned from medical issues of my own plus a little more personal maturity is that "gratitude" and "appreciative" are important words to believe in and to use where appropriate.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2012 01:33

Lovely book .... but the photo credits will break any man ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 11, 2012 01:43

I loved it for the pictures but at the same time really didn't like it as I had been waiting years for the follow up to Stone Alone and this came out instead. So while I like it for what it is, I hate it for what it isn't! I was so looking forward to Bill's recollections picking up in 1969 where he had left off and continuing in that vein of story telling.

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:05

Rockman
Lovely book .... but the photo credits will break any man ...

What's wrong with the photos? I haven't read the book yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 02:09 by batonrouge75.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:06

GravityBoy
Sadly I came to the conclusion that Keith is a selfish prick though.

His behaviour towards his band mates at times was reprehensible. Bill mentions it many times in an understated way, but you know it irritated him.

5 years playing and 20 years hanging around for KEITH mainly.

Bill was behind the 8 ball from the get go. He was never treated as an equal and the fact that Keith plays bass on so many classics has got to sting. Bill looks positively miserable in "One Plus One", relegated to playing percussion while the alpha male guitarist plays (what turned out to be admittedly great) bass on what would become a masterpiece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 02:07 by bleedingman.

Date: May 11, 2012 02:10

What's wrong with the photos?

....... not a thing wrong with the photos....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 11, 2012 02:17

Rockman
What's wrong with the photos?

....... not a thing wrong with the photos....

Ahh, I got it. So, the photo credits are messed up?

Date: May 11, 2012 02:23

....Yeah Baton ...
photos are fine but tryin' ta figure out who took what can break ya....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:30

The interesting thing about Keith playing Bill's bass parts is when Bill would play those same bass parts on stage, they were as good, or better, than what Keith came up with. And in some ways Keith had to emulate a 'Bill' sound to make it come out like a good Rolling Stones record. I thought for years that the bass of JJF was Bill, because it sounds exactly like how Bill would play. Yes, the bass on SFTD is fantastic, but they never played the song in that style on stage.

I think Rolling With The Stones is a fantastic book. But you have to accept Bill as an equal member of the group, and that his back story is as fascinating as the more high profile members. Bill's memories of being bombed by @#$%&, come on, that's more interesting than any of the other's upbringings, except for maybe Brian's and all the little bastards he sired.

Date: May 11, 2012 03:02

Rockman
....Yeah Baton ...
photos are fine but tryin' ta figure out who took what can break ya....

That's quite a mess. Thanks for posting that photo.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 11, 2012 04:26

24FPS
The interesting thing about Keith playing Bill's bass parts is when Bill would play those same bass parts on stage, they were as good, or better, than what Keith came up with.

I often wonder what Bill's take on those songs would have sounded like in the studio. It was quite a mash up when they BOTH played bass on "Sympathy" in '75.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 11, 2012 04:42

quote]

Bill was behind the 8 ball from the get go. He was never treated as an equal and the fact that Keith plays bass on so many classics has got to sting. Bill looks positively miserable in "One Plus One", relegated to playing percussion while the alpha male guitarist plays (what turned out to be admittedly great) bass on what would become a masterpiece.[/quote]

Probably the real reason he quit, airplane phobia is re-directed anger over forced submission.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 11, 2012 08:25

I'm gonna re-read it IMMEDIATELY !

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 11, 2012 08:30

I always had high regard for Bill, apart from his unsavoury obsession with women. His account of how his father pulled him out of school weeks before his final exams, out of sheer jealousy, really touched me.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 11, 2012 08:46

He deserves a goldstar for keeping up with Keith's junkie time schedule. Imagine starting rehearsal nine a clock one evening and three at night the next day. And no union representative to complain to. Keith is probably the only member of the band (except for Brian maybe) that couldn't keep a steady day job for more than a week. Five years of playing, twenty years of hanging around, indeed!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 08:55

Of course Keith couldn't keep a steady job. That used to be the point. That's one reason he became an artist. Selfishness is also often part of the equation.

Date: May 11, 2012 09:17

Stoneage
He deserves a goldstar for keeping up with Keith's junkie time schedule.
I think he and Charlie showed amazing resilience to do what they did.

Imagine starting rehearsal nine a clock one evening and three at night the next day.
Or everyone starting monday and keith turns up friday, which seemed to happen a lot.

I get the impression from the book that it went seriously downhill at and from Nellcote onwards where he often didn't turn up even though he was upstairs.

Bill even includes a quote from Nick Kent in the late 70's about Keith's lack of contribution to Stones albums - I think Bill knew what he was doing when he included that one.

I think he refers to him as "the guitarist" at special moments of understated irritation.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 11, 2012 09:25

GravityBoy
Stoneage
He deserves a goldstar for keeping up with Keith's junkie time schedule.
I think he and Charlie showed amazing resilience to do what they did.
I always feel like Charlie and Bill have a lot of fun when they hang out, if that ever happens. I would just love to see what the hell they talk about when they think they're alone.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 11, 2012 09:26

Best book a about The Rolling Stones, IMO

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 11, 2012 11:20

Some good stuff, but the quality of the photos (color and resolution) is too low and the layout is a mess (both text and photos). Plus the Italian version is unreadable for how bad the translation is! It is one of my favorite toilet-book, though: you can open just any page randomly and always find something interesting to read.

C

Date: May 11, 2012 11:28

What's the difference between Stone Alone and Rolling With The Stones? I've only read the former, which was shamelessly detailed in the wrong places, imo.

Date: May 11, 2012 11:31

Stoneage
He deserves a goldstar for keeping up with Keith's junkie time schedule. Imagine starting rehearsal nine a clock one evening and three at night the next day. And no union representative to complain to. Keith is probably the only member of the band (except for Brian maybe) that couldn't keep a steady day job for more than a week. Five years of playing, twenty years of hanging around, indeed!

Being a musician is NOT an office job.

Put it the other way around, Bill was probably waiting patiently because he knew Mick and Keith would write the fantastic songs that made Bill a millionaire winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 11, 2012 11:53

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Put it the other way around, Bill was probably waiting patiently because he knew Mick and Keith would write the fantastic songs that made Bill a millionaire winking smiley

I understand that. But when you have a junkie in a leading position it will pretty soon end in disaster. Even a rock band must have some kind of order and leadership. A junkie only thinks of himself and the next fix.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 11, 2012 12:21

DandelionPowderman
What's the difference between Stone Alone and Rolling With The Stones? I've only read the former, which was shamelessly detailed in the wrong places, imo.

They can not be compared. Stone alone is more or less Bill publishing his diary. Completely
subjective (of course) and going into territories that interested him in the first place.
Rolling with the Stones is a collection of pictures, newspaper cut outs, memorabilia and stuff
like that. These are the main attraction, with Bill writing more of a report of what was going on,
not to share his feelings or motivations with the audience, but more to add some perspective to
all the visual attractions in the book.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 11, 2012 13:50

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

I understand that. But when you have a junkie in a leading position it will pretty soon end in disaster. Even a rock band must have some kind of order and leadership. A junkie only thinks of himself and the next fix.

They had that: Mick Jagger!

Date: May 11, 2012 14:03

I don't think Keith acknowledged Mick as leader.

According to the book that had some real blow ups about Emotional Rescue.

Date: May 11, 2012 14:30

GravityBoy
I don't think Keith acknowledged Mick as leader.

According to the book that had some real blow ups about Emotional Rescue.

That was when Keith said he was ready to take some of the load off Mick's shoulders, aka he had cleaned up (to an extent)...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home