Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who is luckier? Wyman or Ringo?
Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: May 9, 2012 21:16

Who is luckier? Wyman or Ringo?

Re: Who is luckier? Wyman or Ringo?
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 9, 2012 21:20

Ringo wasn't lucky at all, because he always has been tortured into asking God "Why couldn't I have been in the Stones? WHY WHY?!!!"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 9, 2012 21:21

Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity. They were both equally lucky. If you're all about the music, Bill was much lucker. He got 30 years with the Stones. Ringo got 8 with the Beatles. Bill had many more chances for poon. The Rolling Stones were much luckier than the Beatles. The Beatles already knew who Ringo was. The Stones had no idea what a special musician they were getting in Bill Wyman. They contemplated replacing him early on. Then he replaced them.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 9, 2012 21:24

Bill Wyman , for sure. Bass Players are a dime a dozen.

Ringo is not only a superlative drummer but he has an outgoing, sparkling personality.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 9, 2012 22:02

Talent-wise, I believe that Bill has the edge, so Ringo would be the lucky one. He is not a bad drummer, certainly not one of the best, but he happened to be in the right place at the right time. He was a perfect fit for the Beatles. Bill is a very talented bassist, and was a perfect fit for the Stones. Every time I listen to his bass lines on Midnight Rambler on Ya Yas, I am reminded of just what he brought to the table for the Stones.

I have to say that anyone who can make a career of playing music is lucky to a certain degree!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 9, 2012 22:10

Bill's solo stuff may just shade it ?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 9, 2012 22:18

Is this going to turn into another stupid Ringo-bashing thread?

Every time I listen to Ringo's drum fills on A Day In The Life or Rain, I am reminded of just what he brought to the table for the Stones The Beatles. He was a fantastic drummer when he was younger.

What did Bill do as a bassist after the Stones (or even side projects while in the Stones)? Not that much
What did Ringo do as a drummer after The Beatles? A very impressive list of drumming credits.

Who was luckier? Nobody. It's a tie. As someone said, making a career of playing music takes a lot of luck. If anyone is lucky, it's their ex-wives! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-09 23:03 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: May 9, 2012 22:32

Did anyone pay cash to see Bill Wyman play bass?

Lots of teenyboppers loved Ringo Starr. He was a real drawing card for the Beatles' popularity. Everyone loves Ringo. Almost nobody knows who Bill Wyman is.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 9, 2012 22:44

Wyman - he could get every woman he wanted....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 9, 2012 23:01

GumbootCloggeroo
Is this going to turn into another stupid Ringo-bashing thread?

Every time I listen to Ringo's drum fills on A Day In The Life or Rain, I am reminded of just what he brought to the table for the Stones.
winking smiley

I Dunno, is that a back-handed slap at Ringo, ie the Stones benefitted by Ringo's poor play on those songs? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 9, 2012 23:02

Haha oops! My mistake smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 9, 2012 23:19

Wyman has a bigger collection of blues-records than Ringo so I say Bill...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 9, 2012 23:20

Ok.. bass player here.

Bill is a fantastic bass player.

Ever hear of "the pocket"?

Bill knows where it is.

I miss the old bugger.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: May 10, 2012 00:09

being a Bass player myself, I admire Bill's playing... not up to McCartney's level, but he was the perfect FIT for that band... Ringo is a damn good Drummer.

Luck, they have BOTH been very lucky... who wouldn't have wanted to have been in their shoes from lets say 1964-1974... the true Golden era of both of those bands...

Date: May 10, 2012 01:30

There are only two bass players in rock that I pay attention to their playing in particular and that's McCartney and Wyman. They are both expressive players with a keen and sensitive melodic sense, although I think McCartney overplayed in parts, something you can't accuse Wyman of. Maybe bass players are a dime a dozen, but the level of playing McCartney and Wyman achieved is extraordinary. In that sense Daryll Jones is a journeyman, with nothing particular that stands out about his style. Therefore the majority of the songs he plays on don't have that special something that Wyman added.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 10, 2012 02:13

24FPS - not to change gears here but don't you enjoy John Entwistle's bass with The Who?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 04:06

Neither were luck. Both are massively talented and the exact right fit to create the phenomenal bands they were in. They were meant to be where they were. Perfect alignment of the stars.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 04:23

Ringo was sought after by the other Beatles, and was a well respected drummer at the time. I would say that Bill was lucky, he had already been in the military, and was old (square) enough that he probably would have settled into another career, had the Stones not come along.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 04:30

Yes Ringo was hunted by the other fabs. He had a name and was well known... but it was fate, it was meant to be. Same with Wyman. By all accounts what made him attractive was he had his own equipment. But it was fate as well. Thanks goodness there is rock and roll karma.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: May 10, 2012 04:33

I think that I once read that he almost joined Gerry & The Pacemakers instead of The Beatles. Ringo's net worth I believe is over two times greater than Mick's or Keith's (as recently reported in the British press). A good choice between band job offers >grinning smiley<

Date: May 10, 2012 05:27

slew
24FPS - not to change gears here but don't you enjoy John Entwistle's bass with The Who?

He's a totally different sphere. That's a power trio and he has to almost be a second guitar. The Stones went through so many different musical changes and Bill was always able to adapt. I know Entwistle had thunder fingers or whatever they called him, but I don't find myself picking out his bass lines and enjoying them like I do Wyman, or McCartney. I never realized that Bill could play incredibly fast and accurate until I heard Midnight Rambler off of Brussels. And unlike Entwistle, who could fire off 20 notes and amaze you, Bill could play one note and touch you.

Date: May 10, 2012 05:39

tkl7
Ringo was sought after by the other Beatles, and was a well respected drummer at the time. I would say that Bill was lucky, he had already been in the military, and was old (square) enough that he probably would have settled into another career, had the Stones not come along.

Or......you could say the Stones were lucky. Mick was just some singer answering an ad from Brian Jones and Ian Stuart. Once Mick was accepted, he brought in his friend, Keith Richards. Tony Chapman heard about the group and got in for a while, and then brought in his friend, Bill Wyman. The only person sought out by these equally unknowns was Charlie Watts. The nascent Stones was not a group of friends that were a tight clique. Only Mick and Keith had a history. The other members of the group were young, broke layabouts, excepting Ian. Bill had already gotten his shit together, had a day job, and was electronically savvy enough to not only build a powerful, well constructed amplifier, but possibly the first electric fretless bass.

Sure, Bill probably would have gone on to do something else if the Stones hadn't panned out. Something in the electrical field was open to him and he probably would have been successful. Can you say the same for Brian? Or Keith? That they would have been successful at something else if the Stones hadn't clicked? They were lucky to get an older, grounded, and talented member to balance them out. He didn't miss gigs. He didn't have visa problems from drug convictions. It was about the music for him. And the poontang.

Date: May 10, 2012 06:36

I think the bass player for Cream was head and shoulders over Wyman.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 10, 2012 07:05

Luckier?

As in who "nailed" more chicks???

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 10, 2012 08:35

both. one is a stone the other is a beatle. there will not be anything like them ever again.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 10, 2012 09:22

The early British Blues world was a small one , and lots of bands developed out of the ebb and flow, with who ended up in which group being a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Some of those musicians are now international superstars, some had a hit or two and retired, some excellent players are still playing little blues clubs - and how much of that was luck? Charlie is fond of saying that he was already in three groups when he joined the Stones. Mick and Keith both say that they expected to last two years at most. Other drummers, bass players and guitarists passed briefly through Brian's band - some found success with other groups, some didn't.

I think all the Stones (and all the Beatles) were lucky to find each other.

Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: May 10, 2012 10:29

Ringo, no contest.

When NME readers voted him the best drummer in the world, Lennon commented that he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

Jon Hiseman (noted jazz / rock drummer) remarked that Ringo must have bought a 'Teach Yourself to Play the Drums' book, mastered page 1, and left it that!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 10, 2012 10:32

When NME readers voted him the best drummer in the world, Lennon commented that he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

Everytime I read this a laugh my ass off.....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 10, 2012 12:22

Anyone who thinks Bill was lucky doesnt understand music and the stones even less.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 10, 2012 12:29

geoffc
that!

That's because Paul was a good drummer.

Paul was a good everything.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home