Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Who is luckier? Wyman or Ringo?
Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 14:27

Ringo had a very successful solo career. A couple of chart busters.

Wyman? nuff said.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 10, 2012 14:34

Ringo married Barbara Bach... NSFW PIC [bondgirls4ever.files.wordpress.com]
Wyman married a child

Lucky/Winner - Ringo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 14:35 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 10, 2012 14:41

Both Lucky

Wyman played with a great drummer. Watts

Starr played with a great drummer. Mcartney

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 16:26

24FPS
tkl7
Ringo was sought after by the other Beatles, and was a well respected drummer at the time. I would say that Bill was lucky, he had already been in the military, and was old (square) enough that he probably would have settled into another career, had the Stones not come along.

Or......you could say the Stones were lucky. Mick was just some singer answering an ad from Brian Jones and Ian Stuart. Once Mick was accepted, he brought in his friend, Keith Richards. Tony Chapman heard about the group and got in for a while, and then brought in his friend, Bill Wyman. The only person sought out by these equally unknowns was Charlie Watts. The nascent Stones was not a group of friends that were a tight clique. Only Mick and Keith had a history. The other members of the group were young, broke layabouts, excepting Ian. Bill had already gotten his shit together, had a day job, and was electronically savvy enough to not only build a powerful, well constructed amplifier, but possibly the first electric fretless bass.

Sure, Bill probably would have gone on to do something else if the Stones hadn't panned out. Something in the electrical field was open to him and he probably would have been successful. Can you say the same for Brian? Or Keith? That they would have been successful at something else if the Stones hadn't clicked? They were lucky to get an older, grounded, and talented member to balance them out. He didn't miss gigs. He didn't have visa problems from drug convictions. It was about the music for him. And the poontang.

Absolutely they were lucky, everything just clicked for them, including the decision to bring in BW.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 10, 2012 16:32

24PS - I totally understand what you are saying about Entwistle. I do enjoy McCarney and Wyman and someone mention Cream's bass player I always get Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce mixed up Which was the bass and which was the drummer he is kind of in the Entwistle class of player at least as far as Cream's music goes.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 16:49

slew
24PS - I totally understand what you are saying about Entwistle. I do enjoy McCarney and Wyman and someone mention Cream's bass player I always get Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce mixed up Which was the bass and which was the drummer he is kind of in the Entwistle class of player at least as far as Cream's music goes.
Bruce was the bass player, Baker the drummer.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 10, 2012 17:03

Is there always going to be a group of people in every generation that mistakenly and ignorantly think that Ringo sucks? Geez eye rolling smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 10, 2012 18:13

Ringo is an outstanding drummer - I argue with a friend of mine who compares Keith Moon to every other drummer and I always say would you like Keith Moon in The Beatles or the Stones. I mean Keith was gret FOR THE WHO but hell he had trouble keeping time. Ringo is a great time keeper and has some excellent fills. Within the Beatles there is no room for a drummer to be the stand out and the couple of instances where there is like on the End Ringo is awesome!!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 10, 2012 18:36

Vertigo Joe, THANK YOU! You said it all.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 10, 2012 20:07

GumbootCloggeroo
Is there always going to be a group of people in every generation that mistakenly and ignorantly think that Ringo sucks? Geez eye rolling smiley

One common point between Ringo and Bill is that they were the perfect drummer/bass player for the group they were in. Neither of them aspired be the most technical musician on the planet. It's easy to discount Ringo unless you really listen. The 2009 Beatles Remasters lifted a lot of his parts so you could really hear them. His drumming had personality and showmanship. But you also held up surprisingly well during their artistic heights like Sgt. Pepper.

Unlike Ringo, Bill attained a certain level of cred by playing with other people, as when he and Charlie played on some London Sessions (Howling Wolf?). Or when Bill put together Willie and the Poor Boys, and of course the well respected Rhythm Kings. Bill is a better all around musician than Ringo. That's not a cut on Ringo, just a fact.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 10, 2012 20:42

24FPS
Unlike Ringo, Bill attained a certain level of cred by playing with other people, as when he and Charlie played on some London Sessions (Howling Wolf?).
Ringo played on that album, as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 20:42 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: May 10, 2012 20:53

***Bill Wyman , for sure. Bass Players are a dime a dozen.***

- I respectfully disagree. Bass players like Bill Wyman are NOT a dime a dozen. Geez, Wyman had already designed a fretless bass even before he joined the Stones. Bass players that combine the acoustic walking-bass style of Willie Dixon with “Duck” Dunn’s straight forward electric style with Booker T and The MGs, into a style that meshed perfectly with Watts (and Richards) are certainly NOT a dime a dozen.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 10, 2012 21:46

pinkfloydthebarber
***Bill Wyman , for sure. Bass Players are a dime a dozen.***

- I respectfully disagree. Bass players like Bill Wyman are NOT a dime a dozen. Geez, Wyman had already designed a fretless bass even before he joined the Stones. Bass players that combine the acoustic walking-bass style of Willie Dixon with “Duck” Dunn’s straight forward electric style with Booker T and The MGs, into a style that meshed perfectly with Watts (and Richards) are certainly NOT a dime a dozen.

I disagree also. Guitarist are dime a dozen bass players are not. Good bass players are hard to find if not taken already. One good bass player for every 30 guitarists.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 03:02

Agreed, a good bass player is a catch!

Date: May 11, 2012 04:40

24FPS

Unlike Ringo, Bill attained a certain level of cred by playing with other people, as when he and Charlie played on some London Sessions (Howling Wolf?).

Not true. Plus Ringo sings while he plays drums. And the musicianship on this song is as good or better than anything at the London Sessions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 05:48 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 11, 2012 05:32

mitchflorida1
24FPS

Not true. Plus Ringo sings while he plays drums. And the musicianship on this song is as good or better than anything at the London Sessions.

Way more enjoyable than I anticipated! Carl's been dead 14 years now...wow.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 11, 2012 06:41

GravityBoy
geoffc
When NME readers voted him the best drummer in the world, Lennon commented that he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.
that!

That's because Paul was a good drummer.

Paul was a good everything.

And Lennon could be a mean-spirited prick.

Date: May 11, 2012 06:50

Those who play say that singing while playing drums is actually quite difficult. Ringo seems to do it pretty easily. I can't imagine Charlie Watts singing, can you?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-11 06:51 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 11, 2012 06:51

rocker1
mitchflorida1
24FPS

Way more enjoyable than I anticipated! Carl's been dead 14 years now...wow.

I always liked that show. Good gravy, it's 25 years ago. Although Clapton played pretty good, he seemed out of place there. And Dave Edmunds put a slap echo on EVERYTHING. Harrison's stuff is a lot of fun. Although he was only in his mid 40s, they trotted him out like he was on old man. Well, it was the '80s.

Date: May 11, 2012 14:08

GumbootCloggeroo

Who was luckier?. If anyone is lucky, it's their ex-wives! winking smiley

Enough said. Thread closed.

thumbs up

grinning smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 11, 2012 19:20

Ringo. The Stones were lucky to have Bill Wyman on bass.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: May 27, 2012 00:01

Date: May 27, 2012 12:21

Luck? Both were the perfect choice for their respective slot.
Ringo's unique style, coupled with the fact that he was a leftie playing a regular kit.
Bill's incomparable playing: basically a mind that drifted towards 'all white keys', but playing 'all black keys'. I was listening to one of the SG outtakes the other day, think it was "Still In Love", and was pondering the bass parts. Vital. I can't imagine anyone else in the Stones circle coming up with anything like it.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 27, 2012 12:49

Ringo married Bondgirl Barbara Bach.
Watch one minute of her in "The Spy Who Loved Me" and you know who is luckier!grinning smiley

Date: May 27, 2012 14:20

Ringo Starr wasn't even an original member of the Beatles. Luck had nothing to do with him joining the group. The Beatles specifically sought him out as he had the best reputation on the UK rock scene . .and dumped their original drummer, Pete Best.

The story about Bill Wyman was that he was the only guy who could afford a professional bass and amp kit, so he got the gig.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-27 14:43 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 27, 2012 17:47

PAUL MCCARTNEY: Keith Richards once said to me, "Do you know the difference between your band and ours, man? You had four frontmen, and we only had one." And I must say, I had never thought of it that way. But he's right. Any one of us could hold the audience. Ringo would do [the Beatles' cover of the Shirelles song] "Boys", which was a favourite with the crowd. (2005 interview by Mark Binelli,"The Independent" )

As far as George Martin's quote above, John Lennon said "Ringo was the heart of the Beatles."

George Martin in his memoir said, "John and Paul were the great talents. George, Ringo and me were also-rans." To equate himself with George and Ringo in the Beatles is pathetic. I take his opinions with a grain of salt.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home