Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Keith's ethnic origins
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 19, 2013 20:01

His Majesty
beepee2
He's wrong, we're all unicellular algae, because we all come from the ocean !

We are stardust. smiling smiley

Which star / planet / galaxy is Keith from?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 19, 2013 20:05

latebloomer
His Majesty
beepee2

All we are is dust in the wind.

Thanks for the reminder, LB--it's been ages since I listened to this tune....

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: March 19, 2013 20:12

I always thought Keith was 50% rock and 50% roll.
As far as being Jewish goes, a conservative Jewish friend once explained to me that if the mother is Jewish, then the child is Jewish. If the mother is not Jewish, then no one can really be sure if the child is. Something to think about.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 19, 2013 21:36

Genetically the person is biologically half from the mother and half from the father, and it doesn't matter which parent is of what religion. It was the Orthodox Jewish tradition that marked the mother as the important determinant. There is no reason to doubt paternal parentage any more than any other case of a father and mother who have children together.

Actually, if the father is Jewish the child would have a higher probability of an identifiable Jewish last name, leading to some labeling of the person as Jewish, and often an identification with the ethnic group.

Comparing the situation to a person with a black father and a white mother, an offspring often identifies with the minority parent, no matter what he or she looks like. (See President Obama.)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 19, 2013 22:07

The whole who is a Jew thing has always msytified me as I am the product of a Jewish mother and Catholic father. I wasn't raised in a religious home, although we did go to Mass occasionally, usually when my Italian grandfather was visiting. I was eventually baptized in the Catholic Church (that's a long story), and then I married a Reform Jew and we raised our children Jewish. So, according to Orthodox Judiasm, I am Jewish because my mother was Jewish. But, according to a Reform Rabbi I spoke with once, because I was baptized a Catholic, I would need to go through a mikvah, the traditional Jewish cleansing ritual, in order to be fully Jewish again. Which is ironic and confusing and, not being particularly religious, I don't lose sleep about it. So I think of myself mostly as a religious mongrel, but for my children's sake and because it's easier than getting into a long discussion, I usually say I'm Jewish. I figure it will sort itself out someday when I die.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 19, 2013 22:44

latebloomer
The whole who is a Jew thing has always msytified me as I am the product of a Jewish mother and Catholic father. I wasn't raised in a religious home, although we did go to Mass occasionally, usually when my Italian grandfather was visiting. I was eventually baptized in the Catholic Church (that's a long story), and then I married a Reform Jew and we raised our children Jewish. So, according to Orthodox Judiasm, I am Jewish because my mother was Jewish. But, according to a Reform Rabbi I spoke with once, because I was baptized a Catholic, I would need to go through a mikvah, the traditional Jewish cleansing ritual, in order to be fully Jewish again. Which is ironic and confusing and, not being particularly religious, I don't lose sleep about it. So I think of myself mostly as a religious mongrel, but for my children's sake and because it's easier than getting into a long discussion, I usually say I'm Jewish. I figure it will sort itself out someday when I die.

How would this ritual transform you to be able to become "fully Jewish again" when you were half Jewish at birth?

Posted by: z ()
Date: March 19, 2013 22:52

Jewish status is passed on through the mother mainly in order to deal with the outcome of the pogroms. What do you do with the children that born 9 months after the Cossacks passed through town?

Date: March 20, 2013 00:45

uhbuhgullayew
latebloomer

How would this ritual transform you to be able to become "fully Jewish again" when you were half Jewish at birth?

Reform Jews don't care whether or not your Jewish lineage is through your mother or father, you just have to commit to being Jewish and that means not associating yourself with another religion. What the Rabbi was saying was that since I had freely become a Catholic at one time in my life, ethically I should go through a Jewish ritual to renounce that association to be religiously Jewish.
As far as orthodox Jews are concerned, I could be a nun and it wouldn't matter, I am still Jewish because my mother was Jewish. Jews have been arguing about this for centuries, my story is not that unique.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 20, 2013 11:40

latebloomer
His Majesty
beepee2

All we are is dust in the wind.

Right, well said, I am in consent with you all.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 20, 2013 18:31

latebloomer
uhbuhgullayew
latebloomer

Reform Jews don't care whether or not your Jewish lineage is through your mother or father, you just have to commit to being Jewish and that means not associating yourself with another religion. What the Rabbi was saying was that since I had freely become a Catholic at one time in my life, ethically I should go through a Jewish ritual to renounce that association to be religiously Jewish.
As far as orthodox Jews are concerned, I could be a nun and it wouldn't matter, I am still Jewish because my mother was Jewish. Jews have been arguing about this for centuries, my story is not that unique.

Latebloomer ,we definitely need to trade some e-mails .I think I already told you in another thread that I am the "opposite" of you (a Jewish father and a Catolic mother ) but over there in America , you have more liberal people concerning the Jewish religion;here in France, the "traditionalistes " consider I am not jewish since my mother is not .But now in my hometown there is a new "party" for the liberal Jewish people .
I think we both have ineresting background & story concerning the religion.

NB : Let's go back to the Stones ,I don't want to bother people with the subject .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: March 20, 2013 20:47

What if your Mother was Water Gypsy but your Father was Gypsy Camp Gypsy?

Date: March 21, 2013 22:41

cbtaco19
What if your Mother was Water Gypsy but your Father was Gypsy Camp Gypsy?

Major Major Major, cbtaco19.

Swaystones, I'm off next week so I'll have some extra time to send you an email. smiling smiley

Posted by: BingotheCabbie ()
Date: March 22, 2013 04:37

To answer eveyone's question on who is Jewish, it's very easy...if they're eating Chinese food on December 25th, then you know who is Jewish. smoking smiley

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: November 2, 2018 03:49

One joke here:
Jew or not jew: Keith Richards

German promoter Fritz Rau told "Die Zeit" that Keith was jewish and had his issues with the German history
Fritz Rau, Die Zeit, 2012
I never heard that from anybody else.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 2, 2018 06:25

Come On
71Tele
Charlie is not Jewish, but always thought Ringo might be, as he was adopted. You never know.

this feels like 'the German corner'..................1938......

BTW, I'm pretty sure Mr Zimmermann is Jewish...

We’re trying to learn something about a person we all greatly admire and care for.
And yet you,one of the dumbest mtherfckers on the planet have the nerve to somehow equate us with people who murdered,raped,tortured and tried to extinguish an entire group of human beings.
You not only insulted all of us but those poor souls who suffered these unspeakable acts.
I wish your father had taught your mother to swallow,I know I tried but like you she was a slow learner,

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 2, 2018 10:00

Always so great to see one of my old threads resurrected from the dead!

Date: November 2, 2018 10:29

lem motlow
Come On
71Tele
Charlie is not Jewish, but always thought Ringo might be, as he was adopted. You never know.

We’re trying to learn something about a person we all greatly admire and care for.
And yet you,one of the dumbest mtherfckers on the planet have the nerve to somehow equate us with people who murdered,raped,tortured and tried to extinguish an entire group of human beings.
You not only insulted all of us but those poor souls who suffered these unspeakable acts.
I wish your father had taught your mother to swallow,I know I tried but like you she was a slow learner,

It's been a long time (you're replying an old post) since Come On posted here. I hope he's all right..

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 2, 2018 12:27

Hugenot : Keef has some French blood running down his veins;

Why doesn't he like cheese????
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 2, 2018 12:32

Yep,

As almost as a big a fan of cheese as I am of the Stones...

..I was very disappointed to learn that Keith thinks "...cheese is wrong "

Date: November 2, 2018 14:37

By looking at Keith's, Doris' and Bert's pics I think Keith is son of a some Bert's friend.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 2, 2018 14:47

We all know Keith is 100% African. a ‘Black Man’ thru & thru!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 2, 2018 14:59

I am a proud Jewish woman. I remember Keith commented on the beautiful Jewish women in London. Be gentle people. We just went through a horror here in the US because of our faith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 15:09 by steffialicia.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 2, 2018 15:02

delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 15:06 by steffialicia.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 2, 2018 16:04

steffialicia
I am a proud Jewish woman. I remember Keith commented on the beautiful Jewish women in London. Be gentle people. We just went through a horror here in the US because of our faith.

I believe Keith's first (main) girl friend was Jewish.....Linda Keith. Not a practising one, by all accounts though.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 2, 2018 16:32

keefbajaga
Keith is originally a combination of a Balkan/Serbian negro-indian son of gypsy-bitch, as well as is Ron Wood (only he has little more Kazachstan blood)

Mick is a Jewish-african son of the Devil

Bill Wyman originally derives from The Eskimo's

And Charlie? I suppose he's 100% British

whats wrong with you?

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 3, 2018 05:37

jlowe>>>I believe Keith's first (main) girl friend was Jewish.....Linda Keith. Not a practising one, by all accounts though.

I forgot about this. I think this establishes that Keith is not Jewish, at least his parents weren't, because it would have been mentioned somewhere that he and Linda had a shared heritage. So why would he have referenced 'the Jew in me'??

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 3, 2018 05:47

DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
Come On
71Tele

It's been a long time (you're replying an old post) since Come On posted here. I hope he's all right..

Sorry,I kinda snapped there didn’t I.to provide a little context I will say that I’m not Jewish but have a couple of family members who fought in WWII and actually not only killed nazis but went to the camps and I couldn’t really understand but I think freed people left alive.
When I was old enough to have a drink with the old men I heard the stories,the bodies piled up even small children,the smell of death.
My point is don’t ever call anyone a nazi or even hint at them acting in that manner.
Even a racist bigoted a-hole in today’s world is not even in the same universe,not even the retards dressed in the Halloween costumes and marching calling themselves nazis, they are to be laughed at and mocked,but that level of evil is used as a punch line to often by people who have no inkling of what they are talking about and I won’t stand for it.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 3, 2018 06:06

Bliss
jlowe>>>I believe Keith's first (main) girl friend was Jewish.....Linda Keith. Not a practising one, by all accounts though.

I forgot about this. I think this establishes that Keith is not Jewish, at least his parents weren't, because it would have been mentioned somewhere that he and Linda had a shared heritage. So why would he have referenced 'the Jew in me'??

Backward engineering not to be taken literally..........

He wrote a song that he thought sounded a bit like Hava Nagila (I've never heard that so can't vouch to whether that's right or not) and therefore, he "must have some jew in him............(tongue in cheek.....

ie. If Mick was questioned as to how he came to write/the sound of Continental drift he could, in the same vein say, "it must be the Morrocan in me.............

I think everyone in the UK is pretty mongrelised...........I've got Welsh, English, Irish and Spanish and that's only going back 400 years...........and most English have Roman or Danish or Norman ancestry................

And just about everyone I know has said, oh, well, I've got this, this and this..........

last, despite the comments I read earlier in another thread (Keith in NYC) about one of my posts, Keith does have Rhinophyma, which is usually a progression of Rosacea, which is also known as the 'Celtic curse' because it primarily effects people with a heritage from North Western Europe...........basically, this would indicate that Keith has a lot of Celt in him, but as I say, that doesn't discount all the other 'inputs' possible.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 3, 2018 06:14

latebloomer
The whole who is a Jew thing has always mystified me as I am the product of a Jewish mother and Catholic father....But, according to a Reform Rabbi I spoke with once, because I was baptized a Catholic, I would need to go through a mikvah, the traditional Jewish cleansing ritual, in order to be fully Jewish again. Which is ironic and confusing...

I have the same background and was told the same thing by an Orthodox Jew I met on a plane. It's not confusing, though, it's typical. The same thing could happen if a Catholic becomes a Protestant. You may be told you need to be baptized again. Catholics do the same when Protestants convert by making you have all the sacraments from their church. Basically, it's ritual and in order to identify with one sect or another, you need a new ritual to be welcomed in and symbolically (or literally, depending on the belief system) need to wash away what would have offended God. It may sound primitive (and it is), but it's a cleansing ritual and they're common to most every tribal group.

Now is Keith Jewish at all in that English-Welsh background? I believe so. The same with Ronnie and Mick. I can't prove it definitively (is Ronnie and Keith stepping on a covered glass at a wedding proof? Probably not). Lots of people have Jewish backgrounds. In the first half of the last century, it was common to deny it, particularly if people converted through marriage (we're German or Polish or Russian). As an American, it seems to matter less since we're usually all of mixed pedigree.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 3, 2018 10:56

This thread is SIX years old. Please do NOT wake up old dormant talks.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home