Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Status Quo
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 6, 2020 15:48

The Quo,I love 'em!

An interesting sociological experiment is when your favourite band is slagged off by another musician the slagging party is ridiculed and status minimised.

Jagger made comments in 1978 I think, he not a fan of Quo, the resulting comments make for fascinating reading.

Beatles Vs Stones, Quo Vs Stones; I guess these topics will always exist. Yes, I am aware I am propagating it by posting it here, but a lot of unintentional comedy contained in the vitriolic reception of Mr. Jaggers putting down of a Quo track.

[statusquo.boards.net]

Re: O/T Status Quo
Date: November 6, 2020 16:48

Love their stuff between 1968 and 1984.

BTW, wasn't it Stu who slagged the Stones for sounding like Quo during the SG-sessions?

Date: November 6, 2020 16:59

That's right, Stu made that comparison. The bone of contention here is Jagger on BBC I think criticising What You're Proposing.

Quo 1968-1983 is pretty great, agreed. Particularly 1970-1976, their golden period.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 6, 2020 19:56

The Quo from Piledriver through On The Level are great, great boogie rock.
Just fun old good-time rock’n’roll. Love it.

Date: November 6, 2020 20:39

Blueranger
The Quo from Piledriver through On The Level are great, great boogie rock.
Just fun old good-time rock’n’roll. Love it.

Don't forget Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon and my favourite Dog Of Two Head that preceeded Piledriver smiling smiley

Date: November 6, 2020 22:47

The Dog album is great, stuff like 'Mean Girl' is cookin' boogie!

Date: November 6, 2020 22:54

IrelandCalling4
The Dog album is great, stuff like 'Mean Girl' is cookin' boogie!

Umleitung was one of the first covers we did in my first band.

April, Spring, Summer And Wednesdays is another great track (off Ma Kelly).

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:02

I must admit all I know by them is Down Down, which I remember seeing them doing it at Live Aid and thinking "these guys are pretty good".

Is that pretty typical of their style?

Date: November 7, 2020 00:08

kovach
I must admit all I know by them is Down Down, which I remember seeing them doing it at Live Aid and thinking "these guys are pretty good".

Is that pretty typical of their style?

It is indeed.

But wasn't this their Live Aid-setlist?

Rocking All Over The World
Caroline
Don't Waste My Time

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:20

I believe your correct!

I wonder where I remember seeing this then?

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:26

What you're Proposing was one of the first singles I bought, love it!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 7, 2020 01:12

Saw Quo for the first and only time back about 20 years ago when Rick was still around.

Always loved their music since their early days and it was great
to see them live.

smileys with beer

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 7, 2020 02:01

IrelandCalling4
The Quo,I love 'em!

An interesting sociological experiment is when your favourite band is slagged off by another musician the slagging party is ridiculed and status minimised.

Jagger made comments in 1978 I think, he not a fan of Quo, the resulting comments make for fascinating reading.

Beatles Vs Stones, Quo Vs Stones; I guess these topics will always exist. Yes, I am aware I am propagating it by posting it here, but a lot of unintentional comedy contained in the vitriolic reception of Mr. Jaggers putting down of a Quo track.

[statusquo.boards.net]

Quo vs Stones? Must be a European thing! I doubt many North Americans can name more than a couple Quo songs, especially anyone under 50.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: November 7, 2020 11:16

I saw them in Drammen about 10(?) years ago. One of the best live bands I have seen. They really knew how to make you have a good time

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: November 7, 2020 12:02

Status Quo is really one of the best live bands in the world. I saw them 4x and in the Frantic Four lineup they were absolute killer (one of the best shows, I saw in this century).

Date: November 7, 2020 12:52

Frantic Four, Dublin 2014, amazing! My one and only time to see the original band. Have seen them about a dozen times since 2001, always a thoroughly fantastic show.

Date: November 7, 2020 14:12

IrelandCalling4
Frantic Four, Dublin 2014, amazing! My one and only time to see the original band. Have seen them about a dozen times since 2001, always a thoroughly fantastic show.

Not the original band, but rather the classic lineup thumbs up

Roy Lynes was in the original band. Parfitt wasn't, if memory serves.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 7, 2020 16:59

IrelandCalling4

Funny as several of the Some Girl outtakes sound like the Stones were trying to sound like Status Quo ... winking smiley

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: November 7, 2020 17:06

their slow live version of Dirty Water at Knebworth with just the guitars is incredible.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: November 7, 2020 18:05

Ladykiller
Status Quo is really one of the best live bands in the world. I saw them 4x and in the Frantic Four lineup they were absolute killer (one of the best shows, I saw in this century).

I saw them (Frantic Four) in 2013 and 2014 and I would echo your comments. I only went in 2013 out of curiosity (I had last seen the FF in 1979!) as I had drifted away from them. I was absolutely blown away as they morphed back into a rock band from the national institution that they had become. Seen them several times since but it's not the same without Alan Lancaster driving them.

Date: November 7, 2020 18:38

DandelionPowderman
IrelandCalling4

Not the original band, but rather the classic lineup thumbs up

Roy Lynes was in the original band. Parfitt wasn't, if memory serves.

Almost; Parfitt joined late 1967, as they changed their name to the Status Quo and before Matchstick Men came out as a sinlge. Lynes was with them, yes, he departed 1970.

Pre Quo, before Parfitt, they had numerous band names but released 3 singles I think - all good, and those very early Traffic Jam and Spectres stuff is good with b sides.

Status Quo's first album had them all and Roy Lynes. Love that first album, one of the best of the psychedelic era for me. The second album wasnt as good. By 1970 though, Ma Kellys Greasy Spoon - Quo as we know and love them!

Date: November 7, 2020 19:02

I like Spare Parts as well. With Lynes still in the lineup?

Date: November 7, 2020 19:35

This is a nice read, focused on the 60s and 70s. [shop.recordcollectormag.com]

Date: November 7, 2020 20:42

DandelionPowderman
I like Spare Parts as well. With Lynes still in the lineup?

Lyons I am sure was on first 3, up to and including Ma Kelly's. What an album Ma Kelly's is! The beginning of their purple patch to arguably 1976 and Blue For You. 1977-1981 very good also for the most part.

I like some of Spare Parts, but love the first album, its b sides, and the early A and B sides of the pre Quo singles when they (Rossi, Lancaster, Coghlan and Lynes) were known as Spectres and briefly as Traffic Jam.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-07 20:44 by IrelandCalling4.

Date: November 7, 2020 21:31

Picturesque Matchstickable Messages From The Status Quo and Spare Parts are recently reissued by Music On Vinyl as double albums, one stereo and one mono LP

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 10, 2020 15:57

Love the Quo, a great and much loved British institution.
Some wise sage once said that if they had chosen to wear leather instead of denim,their music would have been more respected. i tend to agree.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home