Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:09

Palace Revolution 2000
I disagree. While I liked the FF and I think it meant a lot to them to play with Jagger; the medley was cool. But w/ the Arcade there was an overall brilliant sound; the whole song rolling at you.
The FF segment was more like a study in rock.

I disagree to your disagreement. I thought Arcade Fire had a bland sound, it didn't rock me.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:11

Nimrod
tatters
In the manner of Jimmy Page touring in 2000 with the Black Crowes, how about a Mick and Foo Fighters tour?

I'd go. It would sound better than the Stones.[/quote

if you call yourself a stones fan you are an imposter!!!!!!

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:11

winter
Perfect publicity for the Stones' music.
You hit the nail on the head. that was exactly the point of tonight's episode, in my opinion. To drum up support from a younger audience.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:12

Much to my surprise Jagger with Jeff Beck was the weakest musical part... Terrible song and Jeff decided to just make noises.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 08:13 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:14

Oh God...that finale was definitely tugging on the heart strings...what a touching farewell to Kristen Wiig. A Stones announcement would so have been a huge diss to Kristen, her friends on the show and her fans.

Sorry...did I miss the Stones walk-on? That happened right? Surely it did...there was 88,000 threads about it. Hmm...weird.

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:14

Palace Revolution 2000
kovach
Well Foo Fighters were better than Arcade Fire. That's the best I can say about it. Let's hope the improvement continues with Jeff Beck. Overall it seems a bit forced when not being backed by the rest of the Stones.

I disagree. While I liked the FF and I think it meant a lot to them to play with Jagger; the medley was cool. But w/ the Arcade there was an overall brilliant sound; the whole song rolling at you.

Agreed. AF is a much better band, as should be patently obvious to anyone not hung up on '70s cock-rock.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:15

I just got back from an Astros/Rangers game and dinner -
What is "Tea Party"?
Sounds intriguing.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()

The hopeful sign is that Mick decided to use all 60's songs with the exception of IORR on the show. Even that is close enough. That is a setlist direction that I can have faith in. As fleeting as it is.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()

IORR was the highlight, as Mick proved once again he is indeed a force of nature.

Pretty good show overall, with no real missteps from Mick. The blues song was kind've odd, but I wonder if they ran out of time due to Kristen Wiig's send-off? (Which was really nice.)

Date: May 20, 2012 08:16

CindyC
Palace Revolution 2000

I disagree to your disagreement. I thought Arcade Fire had a bland sound, it didn't rock me.
I can't agree with your double disagreement. Arcade Fire vs Rock 101

Posted by: tatters ()

Posted by: Shade ()

Well after watching SNL and seeing Mick being Mick Jagger, I'd like to thank Keith for keeping the Stones rock and blues based since the '80's. We just saw what direction Mick would have taken the band had he gotten his way when he was trying to become the next Thriller with She's the Boss. Nothing wrong with that mind you, but it's not the Stones.

Date: May 20, 2012 08:17

SecondSet
Agreed. AF is a much better band, as should be patently obvious to anyone not hung up on '70s cock-rock.

AF probably is a a better band, but that doesn't mean it's a great fit to back Mick Jagger.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with "cock-rock".

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:19

Shade
Well after watching SNL and seeing Mick being Mick Jagger, I'd like to thank Keith for keeping the Stones rock and blues based since the '80's. We just saw what direction Mick would have taken the band had he gotten his way when he was trying to become the next Thriller with She's the Boss. Nothing wrong with that mind you, but it's not the Stones.

Funny, since the 80's everybody says they lost it.

Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:19

Well, all in all, pretty damn awesome.
The Jeff Beck part felt off the cuff and somewhat half baked, but at least it was different.
Mick is obviously stageready , so get the Beck/Jagger tour going.

As for the mass delusion on this board, I just looked up the stages of grief on Wikipedia, and they are :
- Denial
- Anger
- Bargaining
- Depression
- Acceptance
Sound familiar ? Maybe it's time we all moved on to stage 5 and accept the Stones are over ? And it's alright. Keith is a nearly 70y old man who fell on his head a few years back. He's shown no sign of being fit to perform the kind of shows the Stones feel like they need to put on. And we should be fine with that.

So... Jagger and Beck. Make it happen.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:23

I look forward to finding out what the hell happened the past couple of weeks between Jagger and Richards.
No Stones? No Keith? Something happened, and whatever it was, it wasn't good.
Were the words "Rolling Stones" ever even mentioned once? I can't remember.
I sure heard a bunch of their songs.
I'm thinkng Mick could have at least quickly thanked Keith for writing tonights closing number for him and the cast to sing.

Date: May 20, 2012 08:23

Shade

Mick can be indulgent, no doubt about that, but...
I'll take one "Back of My Hand" over the half-dozen re-riffs Keith has churned out in the last 20 years.

Date: May 20, 2012 08:25

Palace Revolution 2000
I can't agree with your double disagreement. Arcade Fire vs Rock 101

That's ok, we don't have to agree, it's subjective. Glad it worked for you - I really wanted to like it more than I did. I was surprised I liked FF so much actually. I love Nirvana, and I like Dave Grohl, but I only really like a handful of FF songs.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:26

"No Stones? No Keith?"

No Surprise.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:26

GumbootCloggeroo
winter
You hit the nail on the head. that was exactly the point of tonight's episode, in my opinion. To drum up support from a younger audience.

Yeah, you had 3 tunes referenced during the karaoke skit including a MJ droll take on Satisfaction, you had the gospelly acapella verse intro by 'group 1' leading into group 2, Arcade fire rocking Last Time. You had the Foos (group 3) doing both Nervous and the first version of IORR in a long time with the 'breakdown' version like the studio cut. You had group 4, Jeff Beck with Mick, doing an off-the-cuff contemporary-themed improv and you had the house band plus some AF-people (group 5) with the She's a Rainbow sendoff for Wiig. A Stones' reunion playing SMU, JJF and whatever would NOT have been a better publicity promo for the band's music and in no way precludes them from announcing something later this year, which they have ALWAYS done as it's own event, not shared with a tv show. Very effective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 08:30 by winter.

Date: May 20, 2012 08:27

souldoggie

I'm thinkng Mick could have at least quickly thanked Keith for writing tonights closing number for him and the cast to sing.

You people are not only delusional, but adolescent.
You sound like you've been shut off in your room listening to the Stones, reading about the Stones, obsessing about the Stones for the last 30 years. And you're still 14 years old.
The Stones will go on no matter Mick, Keith or Ronnie do when they're not together...at some point.
Lighten the @#$%& up. They don't live for you and they are five different people...
Sheesh!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:27

souldoggie
I look forward to finding out what the hell happened the past couple of weeks between Jagger and Richards.
No Stones? No Keith? Something happened, and whatever it was, it wasn't good.
Were the words "Rolling Stones" ever even mentioned once? I can't remember.
I sure heard a bunch of their songs.

there was a "who's your favorite stone?" joke in the monologue.

i don't know if anything happened - the question of why the hell they were rehearsing in NYC remains unanswered

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:29

Send It To me
there was a "who's your favorite stone?" joke in the monologue.

Also a mention of Ron Wood during the Weekend Update segment.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:29

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-20 08:40 by pgarof.

Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:30

Also, the guy who did the Mick impression was spot on.

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:32

The Sicilian
Shade

Funny, since the 80's everybody says they lost it.

I agree. They have. And now they're almost 70 years old. Can we all stop kidding ourselves now? Even if they do come back they won't be as good as they were in 1994. We'll always have our memories of how great they were. I'll always listen and love, but I'm not delusional about the future either.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:33

stupidguy2
souldoggie

You people are not only delusional, but adolescent.
You sound like you've been shut off in your room listening to the Stones, reading about the Stones, obsessing about the Stones for the last 30 years. And you're still 14 years old.
The Stones will go on no matter Mick, Keith or Ronnie do when they're not together...at some point.
Lighten the @#$%& up. They don't live for you and they are five different people...
Sheesh!

thumbs up

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:33

winter
GumbootCloggeroo
winter

Yeah, you had 3 tunes referenced during the karaoke skit including a MJ droll take on Satisfaction, you had the gospelly acapella verse intro by 'group 1' leading into group 2, Arcade fire rocking Last Time. You had the Foos (group 3) doing both Nervous and the first version of IORR in a long time with the 'breakdown' version like the studio cut. You had group 4, Jeff Beck with Mick, doing an off-the-cuff contemporary-themed improv and you had the house band plus some AF-people (group 5) with the She's a Rainbow sendoff for Wiig. A Stones' reunion playing SMU, JJF and whatever would NOT have been a better publicity promo for the band's music and in no way precludes them from announcing something later this year, which they have ALWAYS done as it's own event, not shared with a tv show. Very effective.

Absolutely spot on, well said Winter. Mick put on one heck of a show, period.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:35

Brilliant!

Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:36

souldoggie

...why?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home