Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT Musical snobbery
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 2, 2012 21:08

This afternoon I went from Brussels Affair to Schubert in one hour, and on my cd player. I like a fair amount of music, and have also pre-ordered The Small Faces cds on amazon.co.uk, in conjunction with Humble Pie and a Steve Marriott tribute concert. I have Faces cds, but sans Small.

I also grooved to an Ethiopiques compilation this morning, and was listening to Booker T & The Mgs Play the Hip Hits at 01:00 am this morning.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 2, 2012 21:11

stupidguy2

(Besides, I think if you put Mayer in a recording studio with the Stones, something would probably happen. If you put the Black Keys in a recording studio with the Stones, they'd shit in their pants and it would sound like the Black Keys trying to jam along with the Stones. It sounds like a cool idea, but they're too locked into their own thing to lock into anyone else's thing)

Wow, this is one of the most base-less, presuming and completely uninformed post I think I've ever read here. Congrats!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 2, 2012 21:17

jamesfdouglas
stupidguy2

(Besides, I think if you put Mayer in a recording studio with the Stones, something would probably happen. If you put the Black Keys in a recording studio with the Stones, they'd shit in their pants and it would sound like the Black Keys trying to jam along with the Stones. It sounds like a cool idea, but they're too locked into their own thing to lock into anyone else's thing)

Wow, this is one of the most base-less, presuming and completely uninformed post I think I've ever read here. Congrats!
Yeah really.
How on earth did stupidguy2 even come to that conclusion about The Black Keys? He needs to explain that.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 2, 2012 21:40

Well I kinda see his point.

I can see Mayer actually making a dent with the Stones because he's a bit of a douche so he's arrogant enough to pierce that Mick/Keith bubble and create something worthwhile. He's got a very strong personality where he can actually pull it off. The Black Keys, could possibly be big Stones fans (considering the genre and style they're quoting in their music) and may not take the lead in creating anything fresh with the Stones. I'm not saying the Keys wouldn't be able to write anything of value with the Stones...but in the scenario of putting the Stones in a room with these cats...I'd foresee Mayer pulling something out of them a bit quicker than the Keys can.

For the record, I love the Black Keys and can't stand John Mayer.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 2, 2012 21:48

John is a good example of a very talented musician who allowed himself to be swept away with the plastic world of "Celebrity." I expect at some point he will get real but personally I don't see that the Stones need him.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 2, 2012 22:19

Justin

I can see Mayer actually making a dent with the Stones because he's a bit of a douche so he's arrogant enough to pierce that Mick/Keith bubble and create something worthwhile. He's got a very strong personality where he can actually pull it off. The Black Keys, could possibly be big Stones fans (considering the genre and style they're quoting in their music) and may not take the lead in creating anything fresh with the Stones. I'm not saying the Keys wouldn't be able to write anything of value with the Stones...but in the scenario of putting the Stones in a room with these cats...I'd foresee Mayer pulling something out of them a bit quicker than the Keys can.

+1

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 2, 2012 22:35

Next up... "THREAD SNOBBERY"

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 2, 2012 23:05

Justin

Justin, I was waiting for a post like Jamesdouglas....lol
You do what get what I meant, except that I actually like Mayer, who, BTW, rarely criticizes other artists. Artists trashing other artists is a Hipster staple and a turnoff, Hence, why I mentioned that Keys interview.
I meant that Mayer, who has worked extensively with Steve Jordan, collaborated quite seamlessly with Buddy Guy, Herbie Hancock, T-Bone Burnett, co-produced with Don Was etc....has a more varied musical sensibility which goes a long way. It has a lot to do with confidence, what you call 'arrogance'......The Keys are very much The Black Keys. I can't see them working with that many varied artists as collaborators.
Mayer and the Keys are not even comparable musically, but The Keys' comment about Mayer was funny because I like both, and appreciate them for different reasons and it just highlighted the point I was making about musical snobbery.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-02 23:14 by stupidguy2.

Date: May 2, 2012 23:12

stonesrule
John is a good example of a very talented musician who allowed himself to be swept away with the plastic world of "Celebrity." I expect at some point he will get real but personally I don't see that the Stones need him.

I actually agree with this. I hate when he goes back to the more soft pop he started out with commercially. I think he can grow....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 2, 2012 23:13

Seems a bit defensive to me. Listen to what you like, let others listen to what they like, and be open-minded about listening to new things. That formula should serve you well.

Date: May 2, 2012 23:15

71Tele
Seems a bit defensive to me. Listen to what you like, let others listen to what they like, and be open-minded about listening to new things. That formula should serve you well.

Of course it's defensive/ I had to hide my disco albums even when I knew my friends were idiots. I was forever scarred.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 2, 2012 23:35

stupidguy, where do you stand on Alicia Bridges and "I Love the Nightlife"?

Date: May 2, 2012 23:53

stonesrule
stupidguy, where do you stand on Alicia Bridges and "I Love the Nightlife"?

Well, I'd rather listen to Evelyn Champagne King's 'Shame'......

Date: May 2, 2012 23:55

I like The Bangles. There I said it.

Date: May 2, 2012 23:57

71Tele

I'd rather listen to The Go-Gos....lol

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 3, 2012 00:00

stupidguy2
71Tele

Screw you guys. Bananarama rules! It's a cruel, cruel summer......

Date: May 3, 2012 00:00

stupidguy2
71Tele

When I told my friend Suzy I liked the Bangles she said "I was a Go-Gos fan, back then you had to choose one or the other".

Date: May 3, 2012 00:12

71Tele
stupidguy2
71Tele

When I told my friend Suzy I liked the Bangles she said "I was a Go-Gos fan, back then you had to choose one or the other".

True. Although The Bangles came out later....there was always that great debate. The Bangles carried themselves as more serious musicians...but there were those that loved the unpretentiousness of the Go-Gos....
See? Even 'Girl Groups' couldn't escape the judgements of musical snobs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-03 00:13 by stupidguy2.

Date: May 3, 2012 00:21

71Tele
stupidguy2
71Tele

ah.... ummmm.... hmmmmm... veeerryyinteresting....

Tellusmoreaboutthis Suzy youspeakof... was she Egyptian by chance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-03 00:27 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 3, 2012 00:41

I'd pay money to have Susanna Hoffs look at me out of the corner of her eye...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 3, 2012 00:47

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
stupidguy2
71Tele

ah.... ummmm.... hmmmmm... veeerryyinteresting....

Tellusmoreaboutthis Suzy youspeakof... was she Egyptian by chance?

No, Egyptians would be a Bangles fan, right? She preferred the Go_gos. I liked both. As another poster pointed out, the Bangles were more serious musicians, but I had a thing for the bass player, I must admit (who left the group a few years ago and basically disappeared).

Suzy was the one-time girlfriend of the founder of SubPop Records, so lots of great stories from the heady early days of Seattle grunge.

Date: May 3, 2012 00:48

Carnack predicts-

A comment about Susanna Hoffs versus belinda carlisle in a bare knuckler...
or at least mud wrestling (yikes! at risk of pissing off the local beautiful IORRers)

Date: May 3, 2012 00:50

Here they are doing the great Alex Chilton song. Yeah, the hair was big and too much delay on the vocals, but hell, it was the 80s. These women could play! And they all sang beautifully.

Date: May 3, 2012 00:58

71Tele
Here they are doing the great Alex Chilton song. Yeah, the hair was big and too much delay on the vocals, but hell, it was the 80s. These women could play! And they all sang beautifully.

thumbs up

and happy to see you figured out posting videos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-03 00:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 3, 2012 01:03

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

thumbs up

and happy to see you figured out posting videos

Well, it was simple. I didn't realize you could just copy and paste the url at top and instead I was always copying the embed code. Thanks for your help.

Didn't mean to hijack this and turn it into a Bangles thread. I got a bit carried away by my enthusiasm for these talented ladies.

Date: May 3, 2012 01:11

24FPS
stupidguy2
71Tele

give me the Runaways or Suzi Quatro

Date: May 3, 2012 01:15

BluzDude
24FPS
stupidguy2
71Tele

Michael Steele, Bangles bassist, was in the Runaways.

Date: May 3, 2012 01:34

I remember wearing my Bangles t-shirt to church once.....
I was too late for the Runaways, but Suzi Quatro was cool.
Leather and the Suedes!

Date: May 3, 2012 01:39

71Tele
BluzDude
24FPS
stupidguy2
71Tele

Michael Steele, Bangles bassist, was in the Runaways.

I do like the Bangles version of Live, even though I prefer the original by the merry go round.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 3, 2012 01:42

Regarding the Black Keys, the following is from their recent ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE cover story:

"Jack White has beef: `I'm a lot more to do with Jay-Z than the Black Keys,' he told me in 2010, and though Auerbach won't talk about the incident, White apparently blocked him from entering his studio in Nashville not long ago. (Responds White: `Anything you've ever heard anyone say about me is 100 percent accurate.')"

Full story >>> [www.rollingstone.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home