Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Mick Taylor was on heroin too?
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 28, 2012 16:34

71Tele
He looked dramatically worse in the videos for the IORR album.

Pardon? I really don't think so. He looked best ever from 73 - 75/76.
On most of the Iorr videos he looked very good as well.Some people tend to look better during the first years of H use.Especially those who had been a bit overweight before.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: April 28, 2012 19:50

I guess heroin wasn't the best thing for his already then withdrawn persona.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 28, 2012 20:31

CousinC
71Tele
He looked dramatically worse in the videos for the IORR album.

Pardon? I really don't think so. He looked best ever from 73 - 75/76.
On most of the Iorr videos he looked very good as well.Some people tend to look better during the first years of H use.Especially those who had been a bit overweight before.

'73 yes, but don't you think he looks bad in the Ain't Too Proud To Beg video? Didn't he have some "health issues" around the recording of IORR that caused him to miss soem of the sessions? Maybe it was just the dyed hair and make up, I don't know.

I think you're statement about people looking good when they start using is correct. Keith looked great in 1972. Compare how he looked in 1976. Big difference.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 29, 2012 02:49

I don't know if I buy the story that Mick J told MT to just take some time off! I heard MJ was really shocked and pissed when he heard MT was done because they were recording and setting up the '75 tour. Thus began the auditions for his replacement. I don't think MT gave any notice, just basically said I'm outta here!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 29, 2012 08:23

mickschix
I don't know if I buy the story that Mick J told MT to just take some time off! I heard MJ was really shocked and pissed when he heard MT was done because they were recording and setting up the '75 tour. Thus began the auditions for his replacement. I don't think MT gave any notice, just basically said I'm outta here!

I read that Mick T told MJ at a party he was leaving the RS, and MJ tried to persuade him to just take some time off instead of quitting.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 29, 2012 09:36

It's amazing, isn't it, that we don't know what really happened, after all these
years?

Future historians will still be trying to piece this all together, but they won't
have the benefit of these guys being alive to tell us.

Then again, these guys could tell us, but they haven't---or rather, they've told
us an array of stories over the years. Often contradictory. Or marked by
hindsight, or perhaps the lack of foresight.

Mick Taylor's version of why and how he left--and what he thinks is up with the
Stones and where they're heading--is super interesting in the video of Mick
Taylor and Jack Bruce that's posted on the previous page of this thread.

-swiss

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 29, 2012 10:17

To me, the way Mick Taylor left the group isn't all that mysterious really. Yes, there's some contradictory information out there on the surface, but those don't run too deep.

Taylor, Jagger and Wood are all on the same page as to how, when and where Taylor quit and no one has really challenged that story.

If Mick Taylor was vague as to why he left at first, I wouldn't have expected him to claim drug problems while promoting his next project, and certainly not sitting next to someone with the same issue(s). And, he certainly had motive not to say too many nasty things about the Glimmers, as he probably wanted to leave the door open to future collaborations, as he did indicate on more than one occasion.

Likewise I wouldn't expect Jagger to blurt out that he in any way promised Taylor a writing credit or divulge Taylor's drug problem at the time. Nor could he read Taylor's mind if in fact there were multiple reasons Taylor didn't elaborate on. (And, Wyman has verified the creative issues).

Some of the comments in more recent years should probably be dismissed - Taylor: "I don't know why I left" [reads he doesn't want to get into it or rehash it] Keith: "If I had my way, he'd never have left" [promoting a new/old project]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-29 10:20 by SweetThing.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 29, 2012 17:02

swiss
It's amazing, isn't it, that we don't know what really happened, after all these
years?

Future historians will still be trying to piece this all together, but they won't
have the benefit of these guys being alive to tell us.

Then again, these guys could tell us, but they haven't---or rather, they've told
us an array of stories over the years. Often contradictory. Or marked by
hindsight, or perhaps the lack of foresight.

Mick Taylor's version of why and how he left--and what he thinks is up with the
Stones and where they're heading--is super interesting in the video of Mick
Taylor and Jack Bruce that's posted on the previous page of this thread.

-swiss

It's one of the most intriguing issues concerning the relations in the band. Jagger, Richards, Taylor - at that time they were the heart of the band (no disrespect meant to Charly and Bill). But then Ronnie Wood came into the picture. I guess that has certainly played a role too.

Anyway, I think both Jagger and Richards were disappointed Taylor left, the first probably more than the latter, because he really liked Taylor and had a high esteem of his playing and input.

Still there's much veiled about how they relate to each other nowadays. We all know Jagger and Taylor were together for Plundered, and all of them have certainly thought about the 50 year anniversary. It's still hidden if and how they have communicated about that event and if they still do.

Date: April 29, 2012 23:00

*Mick Taylor was on heroin too?*

- of course he was; he's said so many times. it was widely available through the stones and through other musicians at the time. could of been introduced to it by keith or damn near anybody, really.

Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: April 30, 2012 03:41

leave it to mick/keith to hire a former bass player to fill mick taylor's spot. unbelievable.

Date: April 30, 2012 09:32

mandrax1972
leave it to mick/keith to hire a former bass player to fill mick taylor's spot. unbelievable.

confused smiley Darryl's spot?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 30, 2012 19:56

DandelionPowderman
mandrax1972

Referring to former bass player Ron Wood being chosen to fill Taylor's spot (I think).

Date: April 30, 2012 20:05

SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
mandrax1972

Referring to former bass player Ron Wood being chosen to fill Taylor's spot (I think).

Yeah, got it now grinning smiley

"Former bass player", what a remarkably inaccurate description of the former guitar player of The Birds AND The Jeff Beck Group... Didn´t you know, Mandrax?

He suggested to take on the role as bassist himself, cuz Jeff couldn´t find one who was willing to take the job, though.

Sweet...

Date: April 30, 2012 20:09

BTW.-
Marshall Chess said in his bio that some time after Mick T.s departure they all realized that it would be harder than first imgagined to replace him as they were already under some time pressure. So Chess was send to London to track down Taylor and persuade him to come back.But Taylor had already gone into hiding and he just couldn't find him. Finally they gave up about it but not without some bad feelings.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 30, 2012 22:09

CousinC
BTW.-
Marshall Chess said in his bio that some time after Mick T.s departure they all realized that it would be harder than first imgagined to replace him as they were already under some time pressure. So Chess was send to London to track down Taylor and persuade him to come back.But Taylor had already gone into hiding and he just couldn't find him. Finally they gave up about it but not without some bad feelings.

Interesting. It has the makings of a great little film or TV drama.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 1, 2012 01:03

DandelionPowderman
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
mandrax1972

"Former bass player", what a remarkably inaccurate description of the former guitar player of The Birds AND The Jeff Beck Group... Didn´t you know, Mandrax?

He suggested to take on the role as bassist himself, cuz Jeff couldn´t find one who was willing to take the job, though.

Sweet...

Not exactly right there Dandy - Jeff Beck didn't like Ronnie's Guitar playing,
but Rod wanted him in the band so Jeff said: let him play Bass..

MLC

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 1, 2012 15:44

People thinking there's some mysteriousnous in Taylor's leaving are all trying to find more in to it than there really is. Taylor was fed up with the Stones, waiting around for Keith, waiting around for the Stones to explode, arguing with Jagger and Richards about royalties and credits, and then finding his health detoriating due to substance abuse. So, he left. Simple as that. Jagger and Richards surely didn't expect that, rightfully so: why would anyone want to leave a multi-million dollar band when you could have done plenty of solo stuff outside the Stones. Then they took it as an opportunity to reinvent themselves, just as they did when Brian Jones was sacked. There wasn't too much of a time constraint as many people believe: agreed was to do a tour in the summer of '75 on the back of IORR, and not to record a new album and then tour. So they basically had six months to find a replacement for taylor, and with an abundance of fantastic players to choose from finding a replacement shouldn't be too difficult. They choose Londen Ronnie over Alabama Perkins, and the rest is history.

Mathijs

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: May 1, 2012 20:34

I was reading this whole thread and I really agree with Matthijs! There isn't a mystery or a soap story. That's it.

Date: May 1, 2012 21:28

Of course no mystery.But still a little bit of a RocknRoll soap opera.

In the first place - Taylor has never really been a fan of the Stones or their music.He just went for the huge chance.
But for his leaving - apart from his fragile and very moody persona -one has especially to consider the times and the "zeitgeist" than. Evan big fans like me - I'd done a fanclub in early 70's -were thinking that they wouldn't go on much longer.Progressive/jazzrock was the spirit of time, esp. among musicians.

And, - very important: guitar heros like Taylor could still hope for big (solo)album contracts. In retrospective Taylor made the wrong decision and I'm shure he regretted it many times since those days, - whatever he says.
But for the mid-70's and the spirit of those times one can understand his move.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: May 2, 2012 16:14

Mathijs
People thinking there's some mysteriousnous in Taylor's leaving are all trying to find more in to it than there really is. Taylor was fed up with the Stones, waiting around for Keith, waiting around for the Stones to explode, arguing with Jagger and Richards about royalties and credits, and then finding his health detoriating due to substance abuse. So, he left. Simple as that. Jagger and Richards surely didn't expect that, rightfully so: why would anyone want to leave a multi-million dollar band when you could have done plenty of solo stuff outside the Stones. Then they took it as an opportunity to reinvent themselves, just as they did when Brian Jones was sacked. There wasn't too much of a time constraint as many people believe: agreed was to do a tour in the summer of '75 on the back of IORR, and not to record a new album and then tour. So they basically had six months to find a replacement for taylor, and with an abundance of fantastic players to choose from finding a replacement shouldn't be too difficult. They choose Londen Ronnie over Alabama Perkins, and the rest is history.

Mathijs

This, and Taylor's wife Rose told him to leave.

Date: May 2, 2012 16:18

MCDDTLC
DandelionPowderman
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
mandrax1972

Sweet...

Not exactly right there Dandy - Jeff Beck didn't like Ronnie's Guitar playing,
but Rod wanted him in the band so Jeff said: let him play Bass..

MLC

You have a quote from Jeff saying that? Never seen that before, only Ronnie's version of what happened...

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2219
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home