Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Any Eagles fans here??
Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 23, 2012 21:30

Indifferent.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 23, 2012 22:37

Come On
Hotel California is a great tune.

One of the biggest reggae hits ever.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 23, 2012 23:04

I was upset when they reunited. "NOOOO!" They're as bland as rice cakes.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 23, 2012 23:10

theanchorman
memphiscats
noughties
Ain`t this band live the magnifying glass for all adult American hearts living today?
NO...I think not. smoking smiley

Yes, can't wait.
I always thought Walsh is one of the most underrated American guitarists ever.
And I mean by the media/public.

I was always fascinated that the English guitar rocks Gods befriended and respected him back in the 70's. You'd be hard pressed to find a White American guitar player that guys like Page, Clapton and Townsend would hang with and praise - but they all hung with Walsh.

I thought it was so cool Keith mentioned him in his book.

White American guitarist Duane Allmanm wiped the FLOOR with Page, Clapton and Townshend. One of the most tragic losses in music.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 23, 2012 23:16

I'm lost here what the etnicity has to do with anything confused smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 23, 2012 23:31

I have all their LPs so I guess I must be a fan, although I never seem to listen.
1973's Desperado and 1974's On The Border are stunningly good.

I am with those that feel Felder got screwed out of his place in the band.
He was a major component of their sound.

They are an Eagles cover band without him and Souther.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 24, 2012 00:05

The first band I can remember selling regular tickets at $100+ dollars was The Eagles, not The Stones. I also believe they're the first band to have a "walmart Exclusive for the first month" or whatever.

"Hell Freezes Over" was my generation's 'first round' with them. They invented the Boomer-centric pricing for concerts. HFO was also a VERY heavily-overdubbed 'live' album, and some of you know how I feel about that.

They've written some great music no doubt, and their talent is without question. They did take the lead in corporate greed though, and that's never really settled well with me. BUt hey, to each their own.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 24, 2012 01:52

The Eagles were a really good band especially the early stuff before Felder was even involved. I don't know much of their story but I like their music.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 24, 2012 03:33

Well, I`ve learned to love them posthumously, sort of. In the 70s I saw them as just some post hippie smooth bullshit. Hotel California was just an item in the shop window to me. In the 00s, I`ve learned to love the magnificence of this album. For many years, I`ve also owned the hughely succesful "Greates Hits 1971-75". These 2 albums is all I`ve got by them. Today I think they`re great. People talking of blandness don`t really get the message. Open up, maan! These guys are only developing what came before them, maan! There is substance to it. Somehow along the way I think I`ve picked up that this is one of The Floyd axeman, David Gilmour`s favourite bands! I have no problem seeing him doing many of the solos and singing these songs.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 24, 2012 08:32

Liked their early stuff growing up in the 70's, but they were played so much on the radio I grew tired of them by the time "Hotel California" came out...and talk about a lot of radio play for the singles from that album!

Was kind of glad they were gone by the time they officially split up in '82, but grew to appreciate them again later on. Really enjoyed the "Hell Freezes Over" reunion (didn't see them live because of the excessive ticket prices)...one of the new tunes on that album, "Learn To Be Still," is probably my favorite Eagles song.

Was really disappointed, however, when Felder was booted out of the band. Not a big fan of Messrs. Henley and Frey because of that...of course, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner also "left" for personal reasons. It's Don and Glenn's thing...and Joe and Timothy B. know their place when it comes to band issues.

Have never seen them live...prices are still way too high, and I have little interest now without Felder there. Just seems like he got a raw deal, and I always enjoyed his playing back in the day. I do like most of their catalog, though...can't argue with good songwriting.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 24, 2012 09:05

I think this bands sounds too clean..
There is something to perfect about this band
I dont say the Eagles are not a good band, but its no rock and roll

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: April 24, 2012 14:07

The first 3 albums are the business the rest are Shite.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 24, 2012 14:12

Desparado is a great song.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: April 24, 2012 16:45

keefriffhard4life
2000man
Watered down country-rock for bored housewives

they were one of the first country-rock bands so how could they water it down?

Actually, they were pretty late to the party - Several years after Dylan and the Byrds pioneered it.

Date: April 24, 2012 17:03

ab
I just bought a THE DUDE ABIDES t-shirt especially for the day that the Eagles play at Jazzfest.

You need to get one of these to bring with you so they totally understand!:

as in...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-24 17:06 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Date: April 24, 2012 18:16

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 24, 2012 18:17

I like the music - and fantastic harmonies.

Don't think I'd want to hang out with their egos though.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 24, 2012 18:20

Elmo Lewis

Don't think I'd want to hang out with their egos though.

Good thing that. There wouldn't be any room for you.

Posted by: ssprings ()
Date: April 24, 2012 18:44

Philadelphia Eagles????

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: April 25, 2012 00:36

The Eagles are great. They put on a 3 hour show and play outstanding in concert. I can't believe the commnets on the board but to each his own. Their play live is FAR superior to the Stones in the last 15 years. Stones need big venues and gimmicks- The Eagles play true to form and, in my opinion offer a much greater value for the entertainment dollar. I have yet to see them embarass themselves on stage; something I WISH I could say for the Sotnes and some of their meiodcre at best playing; specifically Ronnie and Keith- sorry guys -it's a Stones board and love the Stones too- but at this time the Eagles put on a better live show. Do they have egos? Of course, but last I checked I think certain members of the Stones have egos greater or equal to the Eagles.

Date: April 25, 2012 02:43

tkl7
keefriffhard4life
2000man
Watered down country-rock for bored housewives

they were one of the first country-rock bands so how could they water it down?

Actually, they were pretty late to the party - Several years after Dylan and the Byrds pioneered it.

yes but they were one of the first true bands of country-rock. the byrds and dylan and the grateful dead, etc detoured into coutry rock and then off into something else

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 25, 2012 03:49

steverogan
The Eagles are great. They put on a 3 hour show and play outstanding in concert. I can't believe the commnets on the board but to each his own. Their play live is FAR superior to the Stones in the last 15 years. Stones need big venues and gimmicks- The Eagles play true to form and, in my opinion offer a much greater value for the entertainment dollar. I have yet to see them embarass themselves on stage; something I WISH I could say for the Sotnes and some of their meiodcre at best playing; specifically Ronnie and Keith- sorry guys -it's a Stones board and love the Stones too- but at this time the Eagles put on a better live show. Do they have egos? Of course, but last I checked I think certain members of the Stones have egos greater or equal to the Eagles.

Good post, steve.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 25, 2012 04:34

that michael vick is mean to dogs, tho.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 25, 2012 05:04

steverogan
The Eagles are great. They put on a 3 hour show and play outstanding in concert. I can't believe the commnets on the board but to each his own. Their play live is FAR superior to the Stones in the last 15 years. Stones need big venues and gimmicks- The Eagles play true to form and, in my opinion offer a much greater value for the entertainment dollar.

Wow. Who can disagree with accounting like that?

Great argument to make during a powerpoint presentation on who should perform for the Five Star Awards Banquet honoring each region's top insurance salesmen at the Annual Gold Team Appreciation Meeting in Maui.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-25 07:00 by loog droog.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 25, 2012 07:49

need a good lawyer? ask don henley, he has a zillion.

Date: April 25, 2012 22:45

loog droog
steverogan
The Eagles are great. They put on a 3 hour show and play outstanding in concert. I can't believe the commnets on the board but to each his own. Their play live is FAR superior to the Stones in the last 15 years. Stones need big venues and gimmicks- The Eagles play true to form and, in my opinion offer a much greater value for the entertainment dollar.

Wow. Who can disagree with accounting like that?

Great argument to make during a powerpoint presentation on who should perform for the Five Star Awards Banquet honoring each region's top insurance salesmen at the Annual Gold Team Appreciation Meeting in Maui.

I am not sure what the intent of your post was-- other than to be a smart ass. I am sorry if it was too analytical for you to understand..don't the Stones make money a priority when they tour? Jagger is the ultimate business man. I am just stating who puts out a better product for the money. It IS a business. The Stones have over priced themselves and many times under deliver in concert in recent years- at least some of the shows I have gone to. I have seen empty ROWS in the $300+ section. I love the Stones but let's face it; we go to the shows more for nostalgia and turn back the clock to our youth than we do for the actual musicianship, which too often, is not of the quality that it once was. The only Stones show that I would find worthwhile would be a "Stripped" show- performances with minimal production and small venues like the "Stripped" album. The problem is- I don't think KR and RW can pull it off. A show like this would expose their eroding skills at guitar and I dont think it would earn enough revenue for them. I just can't understand the nature of posters on boards who feel the need to make sarcastic stupid remarks.Perhaps you could enlighten me. Someone once told me it is better to keep quiet and have people THINK you are a moron instead of opening your mouth and remove all doubt. Maybe you could add that to your powerpoint presentation.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 25, 2012 22:46

GO BEARS!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 25, 2012 23:29

steverogan
Someone once told me it is better to keep quiet and have people THINK you are a moron instead of opening your mouth and remove all doubt.

That is exactly the advice I give to all fans of the Eagles, especially those who go on a Stones board and use CPA language to argue that the Eagles are better.

Lighten up.

Date: April 26, 2012 00:05

loog droog
steverogan
Someone once told me it is better to keep quiet and have people THINK you are a moron instead of opening your mouth and remove all doubt.

That is exactly the advice I give to all fans of the Eagles, especially those who go on a Stones board and use CPA language to argue that the Eagles are better.

Lighten up.

The thread link was there. I made a comment. You reacted with a wise ass crack. Maybe you should refrain from reading any thread that discusses anything but the Stones.It is not CPA language. Maybe it is for you but it is simple to understand if you have a high school diploma.Personally, I don't like getting ripped off or getting less than my money's worth. But that's just me- I'm funny like that. I like "value"- a term a 10th grader can understand. Perhaps you like getting ripped off. That's your choice. I have a bridge for sale.. Perhaps you would be interested in buying it?

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: April 26, 2012 00:18

I was a huge fan of the Eagles. I saw their Desperado and Hell Freezes Over tours. They were both incredible. Their live performances are always superb. Hotel California will go down as one of the greatest rock songs ever recorded. That being said I have to admit that my zeal has waned over the last several years. Let's face it, they haven't put out anything outstanding, as far as new songs go, since The Long Run. I was extremely dissapointed when they canned Don Felder. I really liked him. The nail in the coffin, however, was their last record ( fortunately I can't even remember the name of it now ) which was basically unlistenable except for the one track they held over since the early '70s that wasn't even written by them. Like The Stones ( and most classic rock acts still in existence ) their song-writing mojo is long gone. A shame really. Oh, I almost forgot to reiterate that I too think Don Henley is one of the biggest A-Holes in rock music. My current fave Eagles song these days is In The City. Go Joe!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2122
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home