Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Watkins Glen - 4 years from Heaven and Hell -
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 22, 2012 03:16

Back To Memphisthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-22 09:24 by Toru A.

Re: OT: Watkins Glen - Summer Jam -
Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: April 22, 2012 03:23

I was actually just doing some reading about this show yesterday and was looking to see if any bootleg discs exist. I couldnt find any does anyone know if they are out there?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 22, 2012 03:53

The Band released a Live At Watkins Glen cd a few years ago but most of the performances on it were studio outtakes with crowd noise overdubbed.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 22, 2012 12:07

GumbootCloggeroo
The Band released a Live At Watkins Glen cd a few years ago but most of the performances on it were studio outtakes with crowd noise overdubbed.

I bought this and was reaklly disappointed, had no idea that's what they did...I'm even more disappointed now angry smiley

Date: April 22, 2012 12:41

crumbling_mice
GumbootCloggeroo

I bought this and was reaklly disappointed, had no idea that's what they did...I'm even more disappointed now angry smiley

did THE BAND do it or the label?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 22, 2012 13:30

msw2525
I was actually just doing some reading about this show yesterday and was looking to see if any bootleg discs exist. I couldnt find any does anyone know if they are out there?

This includes some of rehearsals.
Rehearsal episodes are detailed in the book "BILL GRAHAM PRESENTS."

And this is from Phish net.
[forum.phish.net]

Re: OT: Watkins Glen - 4 years from Heaven and Hell -
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 22, 2012 15:04

Yes, Back to Memphis was a Moondog Matinee outtake with overdubbed audience. I was listening to Moondog Matinee this morning, and was also reading the sleeve notes. Rob Bowman admitted that he was wrong on the To Kingdom Come sleeve notes, and he had to correct himself as to this error.

Endless Highway was a Cahoots era outtake, again with an overdubbed audience.

However, it is not to say that Rob Bowman is a bad archivist: the studio logs were incorrect at the time. There were also contrasting debates about the sessions at the time. Robbie Robertson felt that Levon Helm and Richard Manuel both played drums on Mystery Train, and not Billy Mundi, whereas Bowman felt that Billy Mundi was the second drummer on Mystery Train.

The Live At Watkins Glen album was never sanctioned by The Band.

I think some of The Grateful Dead stuff came out on CD, but I am uncertain as to that. I also think one of The Allman Brothers Band tracks appeared on Wipe The Window, Check the Oil, Dollar Gas, but don't hold me to it.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: April 22, 2012 16:30

"Come and Go Blues" was off of Wipe The Windows...The Grateful Dead released a box set called "So Many Roads" a couple of years ago and on that is something called "The Watkins Glen Jam". According to the liner notes this is from the sound check and it is a 20 minute jam with some of the usual Grateful Dead improv...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 23, 2012 03:43

Watkins Glen, as in Watkins Glen, NY?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home