Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Donovan
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 13, 2012 01:04

In the midst of all this R n R Hall of Fame controversy with Guns, I also spoke with Donovan about his induction (and I shot the pic, too)

[www.spinner.com]

Re: OT - Donovan
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2012 06:02

Thanks for sharing Chris...it was too short...I'm sure the interview wasn't that short.

Would certainly have like to have read more. I don't know that much about Donovan aside from the obvious classics.

Date: April 13, 2012 06:41

treaclefingers
Thanks for sharing Chris...it was too short...I'm sure the interview wasn't that short.

Would certainly have like to have read more. I don't know that much about Donovan aside from the obvious classics.

you're right - there's a lot more - but they only wanted the hall stuff - thanks for reading

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 13, 2012 07:06

He was on Breakfast with the Beatles (L.A. radio show) a couple weeks ago and sang HURDY GURDY MAN live, including the final verse George Harrison wrote for the song that was cut from the big hit recording (to George's dismay). I'd read about the cut verse years ago, so it was super cool to finally hear Donovan sing those George Harrison lines.

Donovan explained that the instrumental section was going so well, the producer signaled the band to keep on playing, so the vocal never came back to George's lines.

George's "lost" verse:

When truth gets very deep
Beneath a thousand years of sleep
Time demands a turn around
And once again the truth is found

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-13 07:10 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2012 07:27

Title5Take1
He was on Breakfast with the Beatles (L.A. radio show) a couple weeks ago and sang HURDY GURDY MAN live, including the final verse George Harrison wrote for the song that was cut from the big hit recording (to George's dismay). I'd read about the cut verse years ago, so it was super cool to finally hear Donovan sing those George Harrison lines.

Donovan explained that the instrumental section was going so well, the producer signaled the band to keep on playing, so the vocal never came back to George's lines.

George's "lost" verse:

When truth gets very deep
Beneath a thousand years of sleep
Time demands a turn around
And once again the truth is found

That is a gorgeous lyric! George was really hitting his groove at that point!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 13, 2012 10:55

Donovan taught John and Paul Travis picking in India.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 13, 2012 17:34

Donovan was a featured speaker at a "Beatlefest" a few years ago, which I attended with my son. He told some funny Beatles stories...

One day he was hanging out with Paul McCartney he told us. Paul showed Donovan a new song that he was working on. "'It's like a children's song;" Paul explained. "And it goes like this, 'We all live in a yellow submarine...'" But Paul was stuck, unable to come with lyrics for the 2nd verse. So Donovan asked Paul if he'd mind if he could have a go at it. Paul said okay, so Donovan went in the other room, and came back just a few minutes later. "What do you think of this?" Donovan asked Paul, "Sky of blue, sea of green in our yellow submarine." "That'll do," Paul answered.

Another story: Paul stopped by Donovan's flat one day. After a short while, there was a knock at the front door. Donovan left the room and when he opened the door, he saw a policeman. The cop was annoyed that a car had been parked incorrectly out front: two of its wheels up on the curb, door left open, etc. The cop was just about to ask Donovan to move it, and at that moment another figure appeared in the doorway behind Donovan. And when policeman realized who it was, he snapped to attention and his demeanor changed. He said... "Oh! Mr. McCartney is that YOUR car?" "Yeah, what about it?" Paul said. "W-w-well..." the cop stammered. "If you want... I can park it better for you, sir."

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-13 20:51 by schillid.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: April 13, 2012 18:56

Thanx Chris...

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: April 13, 2012 19:50

Thanks for posting.
I've alwaays really loved Donavan

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 13, 2012 20:41

Donovan should have been inducted a LONG time ago. As should have the Moody Blues. You can't really have something like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame without power trips and politics. But neither can you completely dismiss the place. The museum has some really cool stuff and is well worth a visit.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 13, 2012 20:45

Loved the interview. Get his greatest hits CD. Love it.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: April 13, 2012 20:48

Does anyone know how to find a copy of Intergalactic Laxitive, I've been looking for a few years for this gem....it will get you from here to Mars!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 13, 2012 21:13

That guy made some amazing albums actually.

Mathijs

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: April 13, 2012 23:11

One of the first commercial sellouts. Love Donovan's music though.

"I picked a lemon ... ( in the garden of Love )"

LOL ... dude, did she come with a 36,000 mile warranty?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 13, 2012 23:13

Hey Chris,
Are you in Cleveland this weekend?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 13, 2012 23:40

One of my musical heros, way back, when I was young.
Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 13, 2012 23:44

Scorsese/Donovan

Date: April 14, 2012 00:26

Max'sKansasCity
Scorsese/Donovan

brutal. classic. unforgettable.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: April 14, 2012 01:46

Was there any mention about Brian Jones? I believe Donovan is still married to Linda Lawrence, the mother of Brian's son Julian.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 16, 2012 08:48

I think his debut album is just fantastic....he made a couple of brilliant songs after that one also, but not a better album....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 16, 2012 10:14

Yesterday I heard a cover of Season of the Witch by a band called Luna. I do not know a thing about that band, but I liked it. Sort of a Donovan meets the VU.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 16, 2012 10:16

I always loved this scene from "Don't Look Back". Donovan sings sort of an imitation Dylan song, then Dylan grabs the guitar and shows him how it's done.

Date: April 16, 2012 10:54

71Tele
I always loved this scene from "Don't Look Back". Donovan sings sort of an imitation Dylan song, then Dylan grabs the guitar and shows him how it's done.

I tracked this clip down after Jonathan Franzen mentioned it in his novel FREEDOM with the claim that Dylan "won" the dual. But when I watched it then—and now—I think Donovan comes out on top. Better singer, better rhythm player.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 16, 2012 12:36

He should be in the Hall of Fame for Season of The Witch alone.

I love his original, the Kooper/Stills/Bloomfield version, and Richard Thompson's version. What a great track !

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 16, 2012 14:26

But when I watched it then—and now—I think Donovan comes out on top. Better singer, better rhythm player.

grinning smiley Really?

I have a boot-album where Dylan also sing Donovan's 'To sing for You' (he obviously liked this song), and then things really starts to happen with the song....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: April 16, 2012 15:36

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: April 16, 2012 17:45

Donovan invented "world music":

Date: April 16, 2012 18:09

Come On
But when I watched it then—and now—I think Donovan comes out on top. Better singer, better rhythm player.

grinning smiley Really?

I have a boot-album where Dylan also sing Donovan's 'To sing for You' (he obviously liked this song), and then things really starts to happen with the song....

MICK JAGGER: "Dylan once [told Keith Richards], 'I could have written Satisfaction but you couldn't have written Tambourine Man.' That was just funny. It was great. That's what he's like. It's true but I'd like to hear Bob Dylan sing (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." (Rolling Stone Magazine, Oct. 12, 1968 issue.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-16 18:18 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 16, 2012 19:51

71Tele

I feel bad for Donovan whenever I watch that scene. At the end of Dylan's performance Donovan says, very dejectedly, that he once knew a girl named baby blue. But nobody cares. You can see it in his eyes.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 16, 2012 21:47

Talking of Donovan...I'm sure I read somewhere that he turned up in a gypsy caravan at the 1971 Glastonbury Festival, which then was stolen and turned up at Nellcote!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home