Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: SHINE A LIGHT - What do you think of the Martin Scorsese film?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 7, 2012 23:18

jamesfdouglas
I was disappointed with the film. I was hoping we'd get more than "Biggest Bang - Disc Five.

SAL is nowhere near the high quality of 'The Biggest Bang'. Zilker Park, Rio, China, Buenos Aires. You could pull a couple cuts off SAL and they would fit as bonus material on 'The Biggest Bang'.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 7, 2012 23:20

>>By the way, how do people know those girls were paid to be there? Did this leak out? Or is it assumption? Either way I don't care, just curious.<<

Some board members attended the Beacon shows, some were hired and told how it went.

Re: Shine a Light - The Movie
Posted by: darkstar212 ()
Date: January 26, 2008 20:52

I was hired as an extra. I was lucky enough to see both shows. The first night there were four seats front row in front of Keith. I was lucky enough to get one of those! One of my greatest concert experiences ever. Caught his pic after Satisfaction. The second night they removed the seats to give it a more vibrant GA feel. I know the stink that erupted about the extras being actors and non-fans. Well there were some of those around for sure. I remember night two when I was standing next to two good looking guy models and one said to the other, "Do you know any Rolling Stones songs? The other pretty boy replied, "I think like one." Very sad, but believe me many a Stones fan was able to get hired as extras as well. It wasn't all non-fans. I met many cool people who were big fans of either the Stones or rock and roll. The stink that erupted about extras not being fans was way overblown. Also, this was a special situation and special event. They had no choise but to have hired people up close. It was crazy with all the cameras and changing film and boom cameras. You had to have people working as actors in case they needed you to move or for liability reasons. Maybe not fair to all real fans, but sadly, if you were there, you would realize thats the only way to film something like they did. I hope people get over this negative attitude over that whole situation and realize it was done for a real reason and **absolutely no way of doing it overwise.** Sometimes you have to give a little to get a lot. That simply was the case. Don't complain about some small concessions and be happy with the overall project!!

About three months after the shows, I just happened to start dating Martin Scorsese's personal assistant here in New York. I didn't know it when I first met her. After the first date she told me. I then told her I was hired as an extra for the movie. I also told her how angry Stones fans were online(from IORR of course!) over the use of good looking extras instead of fans. She then took that info and told Martin himself!! Way cool! At the time he was editing the movie daily and she would hear and see him working on it. I was told that he was using mostly footage from night two. Then about two weeks later she told me Martin was upset himself by how the crowd looked. She stated he thought they went overboard and made the crowd too good looking. So he started digitally darkening some of the crowd, eliminating some the pretty people! We broke up after Martin won the Oscar for The Departed and I haven't seen her since. Funny to think the online complaints of people being too good looking might have actually had an effect on the outcome of the movie. Wonder if Martin would have darkened people if the seed hadn't been planted in his mind that there was an uproar over the good looking people. Anyhow, that's my Shine a Light story.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: April 8, 2012 00:02

I liked it OK, but there were some weak moments. Keith was not that great on She Was Hot, but the group was excellent on Some Girls. They could have done a better job if they had wanted to. Live With Me was excellent also.

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: April 8, 2012 01:38

Any band on any given night, can be the world's greatest band. ( Keith Richards)

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 8, 2012 02:16

open-g
>>By the way, how do people know those girls were paid to be there? Did this leak out? Or is it assumption? Either way I don't care, just curious.<<

Some board members attended the Beacon shows, some were hired and told how it went.

I was hired as an extra. I was lucky enough to see both shows. The first night there were four seats front row in front of Keith. I was lucky enough to get one of those! One of my greatest concert experiences ever. Caught his pic after Satisfaction. The second night they removed the seats to give it a more vibrant GA feel. I know the stink that erupted about the extras being actors and non-fans. Well there were some of those around for sure. I remember night two when I was standing next to two good looking guy models and one said to the other, "Do you know any Rolling Stones songs? The other pretty boy replied, "I think like one." Very sad, but believe me many a Stones fan was able to get hired as extras as well. It wasn't all non-fans. I met many cool people who were big fans of either the Stones or rock and roll. The stink that erupted about extras not being fans was way overblown. Also, this was a special situation and special event. They had no choise but to have hired people up close. It was crazy with all the cameras and changing film and boom cameras. You had to have people working as actors in case they needed you to move or for liability reasons. Maybe not fair to all real fans, but sadly, if you were there, you would realize thats the only way to film something like they did. I hope people get over this negative attitude over that whole situation and realize it was done for a real reason and **absolutely no way of doing it overwise.** Sometimes you have to give a little to get a lot. That simply was the case. Don't complain about some small concessions and be happy with the overall project!!

About three months after the shows, I just happened to start dating Martin Scorsese's personal assistant here in New York. I didn't know it when I first met her. After the first date she told me. I then told her I was hired as an extra for the movie. I also told her how angry Stones fans were online(from IORR of course!) over the use of good looking extras instead of fans. She then took that info and told Martin himself!! Way cool! At the time he was editing the movie daily and she would hear and see him working on it. I was told that he was using mostly footage from night two. Then about two weeks later she told me Martin was upset himself by how the crowd looked. She stated he thought they went overboard and made the crowd too good looking. So he started digitally darkening some of the crowd, eliminating some the pretty people! We broke up after Martin won the Oscar for The Departed and I haven't seen her since. Funny to think the online complaints of people being too good looking might have actually had an effect on the outcome of the movie. Wonder if Martin would have darkened people if the seed hadn't been planted in his mind that there was an uproar over the good looking people. Anyhow, that's my Shine a Light story.

Excellent story! So cool - good for you open-g.

I LOVE this movie. I know a lot of the fans here don't but c'est la vie - or c'est le Stones. I stand by Marty and his rendition of a Stones concert. I don't care for most of the other films of the Stones I've seen. I thought the production quality was shoddy or just off in some way. But this film is GREAT in my weary movie-goers eyes. I like the opportunity to glimpse at the Stones in a smaller venue. An opportunity that most of us could only dream of...

Thanks so much for sharing your insider scoop.

Cheers.
M.smoking smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 8, 2012 03:01

memphiscats

I LOVE this movie. I know a lot of the fans here don't but c'est la vie - or c'est le Stones. I stand by Marty and his rendition of a Stones concert. I don't care for most of the other films of the Stones I've seen. I thought the production quality was shoddy or just off in some way. But this film is GREAT in my weary movie-goers eyes. I like the opportunity to glimpse at the Stones in a smaller venue. An opportunity that most of us could only dream of...

Cheers.
M.smoking smiley

Err, look again Memphiscats. this is not my story (wish it was, mind you)
IORR member darkstar212 posted this here in 2008.
cheers

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 8, 2012 03:41

open-g
memphiscats

Cheers.
M.smoking smiley

Err, look again Memphiscats. this is not my story (wish it was, mind you)
IORR member darkstar212 posted this here in 2008.
cheers
OOPS! Sorry - I was so taken by the story I didn't re-check the reference.

Thank you for the insight.
Cheers!smoking smiley

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 8, 2012 03:58

open-g, great story.

SAL had a couple of high points but, really, it was an embarrassment to both the Stones and to Scorsese. It is NOT a documentary, it is a poorly staged pseudo event.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 8, 2012 06:04

jhat111
I think anyone that thinks Keith doesn't play well in this movie is out of their minds pretty much

smileys with beer

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 8, 2012 10:14

71Tele
If Scorcese had applied the same treatment to a doc on the Stones as he did to Dylan in "No Direction Home" we would have had the ultimate Stones movie. Instead we got a warmed-over concert film with some random old footage and contrived drama about the set list. Throw in some Clintons and rented blondes, and that's yer movie.

Agree.

There is a great Stones "No Direction Home" movie to be made.

"2000 Light Years From Home"?

The movie WAS contrived and I can't watch Mick striding everywhere in his Frankenstein shoes doing his raised shoulder posey pointy open palm thing that he substituted for natural stage craft at some point in the 80's.

Date: April 8, 2012 14:07

open-g

Somehow that timeline seems off; between the editing of SAL coming before the 'Departed' Oscar, it gets confusing.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 8, 2012 15:01

I just don't buy all this...if he darkened people he didnt darken them enough. The film is dreadful and a missed opportunity. All that rubbish about they had to hire models is simply not true...it wasn't the case in many other music films and I'm sure true stones fans would have complied and if not well at least it would have looked real.

The simple fact is, the whole film is just too staged...go back to the Last Waltz, G|imme Shelter, Don't Look Back, Woodstock etc etc...films that really caught the atmosphere of what they were portraying. SAL is nothing but a sham from start to finish and Scorsese should be ashamed of it. The duets were cringing apart from Loving Cup.

History will be it's greatest critic and it will consigned to the bargain bins of garages where it belongs.

Posted by: musicalchemist ()
Date: April 8, 2012 15:10

Did it bother anyone else that the "Bad Boys" edited the lyric to "Some Girls"?

Maybe that's why he is now "Sir Mick".

"Let's Spend Some Mmmmmmmmmm Together"

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: April 8, 2012 16:31

Here is an interesting question about the lovely young women (who appear not to be acting) and the young men, most of whom seemed to be enjoying themselves at the concert.

Would you rather look at a bunch of fat middle aged men and women, screaming and acting like fools, or a group of attractive younger people having a genuine blast at a rock concert. I would much prefer the young bunch. This is show business after all, and I want my senses to be stimulated, not deflated.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 8, 2012 16:38

flilflam
Would you rather look at a bunch of fat middle aged men and women, screaming and acting like fools

No of course not. So what's the Rolling Stones doing on stage in 2006 anyway ?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 8, 2012 16:41

Erik_Snow
flilflam
Would you rather look at a bunch of fat middle aged men and women, screaming and acting like fools

Playing a concert, what the hell do think they are doing?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 8, 2012 16:51

Max'sKansasCity
Erik_Snow
flilflam

Obviously, play with words goes over some peoples heads at messageboards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-08 16:53 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 8, 2012 16:52

Erik_Snow
Max'sKansasCity
Erik_Snow
flilflam

Obviously. play with words goes over some peoples heads at messageboards

yup, obviously.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 8, 2012 17:15

Again - I think the issue is that the concert is manufactured for the film itself. Personally, I'd rather see the Stones when they are not being filmed. The last time I saw them was in Sunrise (Ft Laud area...ABB tour) and although the setlist was not to my liking the concert was great. During the event , I kept thinking -this concert should be filmed.

It's the concerts that are not pre-staged that excites the fans. There is nothing wrong with SAL ...I'm just saying

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 8, 2012 18:41

flilflam
Here is an interesting question about the lovely young women (who appear not to be acting) and the young men, most of whom seemed to be enjoying themselves at the concert.

Would you rather look at a bunch of fat middle aged men and women, screaming and acting like fools, or a group of attractive younger people having a genuine blast at a rock concert. I would much prefer the young bunch. This is show business after all, and I want my senses to be stimulated, not deflated.

I would rather look at reality than something fake and staged.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 8, 2012 18:45

Didn't realize the movie was so hated,i really don't think it's that bad

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 8, 2012 18:50

flilflam

Personally, I've never watched a concert movie with the intent of focussing on the audience as opposed to the performance, so the issue doesn't tend to arise that much. Your mileage appears to vary, it seems.

By your yardstick, should the Stones replace the more grizzled band members for newer and younger ones, Menudo-style, as the Stones themselves are possibly 'middle aged' (at best) and 'acting like fools'?

If I want to have masturbatory fantasies about young women, I'll check out a porno movie. Not a Stones one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-08 18:51 by Gazza.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: April 8, 2012 19:05

I would much rather see an audience that wants to be there. I was 27 in 2006 and would have given a kidney to be there.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 8, 2012 20:27

GOO

I don't think it's hated. It's just that it's seen as a wasted opportunity. It didn't live up to expectations and was not a great concert. The concerts they've filmed on their own on Four Flicks and The Biggest Bang are much better. With Scorcese involved you anticipated something special, or different, and neither happened.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 8, 2012 21:22

24FPS
GOO

I don't think it's hated. It's just that it's seen as a wasted opportunity. It didn't live up to expectations and was not a great concert. The concerts they've filmed on their own on Four Flicks and The Biggest Bang are much better. With Scorcese involved you anticipated something special, or different, and neither happened.

Perfectly surmised. What made it a Scorcese film...I didnt see any of the candid, genuine off stage footage such as in The Last Waltz...I think the filming was mediocre and contrived...it was cliche' after cliche'. Any director could have turned that out. The crowd isn't particularly important so why fix it with hired hands. Those front row seats could and should have gone to real stones fans. The whole thing is just vomit inducing. It should have been filmed over the ABB tour with genuine clips of the band, crew, families, fans interspersed with songs.

It is feeble by any director's standards and clearly shows that Scorsese, like the Stones is way past his best and in it for all the wrong reasons. What a waste.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 8, 2012 22:09

24FPS
GOO

Good analysis.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 9, 2012 02:59

They hire big names like Scorcese and Hal Ashby to make spectacular cinema and still they manage to make so little out of it! They apply the latest and most expensive camera works to make an epic concert film, the IMAX concert, and still the result is contrived, almost playback looking. You wonder why it so often goes wrong for them?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 9, 2012 03:20

flairville
I would much rather see an audience that wants to be there. I was 27 in 2006 and would have given a kidney to be there.

Flairville, agreed. However, I think you saw maybe a better show in a pretty good location: the second show of the London O2 run. cool smiley
No guests, though.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 9, 2012 04:16

I never noticed the crowd before. Probably couldn't even tell you what the Stones wore. With musical dvds, I'm mainly listening to the music and watching hands and instruments.

One reason why the crowd thing bugs me. I feel bad for actual Stones fans who missed being up close. For some, that is a once in a lifetime moment.

Date: April 9, 2012 05:36

Stoneage
They hire big names like Scorcese and Hal Ashby to make spectacular cinema and still they manage to make so little out of it! They apply the latest and most expensive camera works to make an epic concert film, the IMAX concert, and still the result is contrived, almost playback looking. You wonder why it so often goes wrong for them?
well said. I remember that way back then I was kind of let down by the Ashby film. I appreciate it today because the performance is on fire. I guess I took it for granted back then.
I had high expectations for Scorsese. He has used Stones music like no other all his (and their) career; so visually. Thought he would somehow retaliate. But it was embarrassing.
I thought Jack White and Buddy Guy stole the show.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1645
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home