Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

guitar scales/theory suggestions...
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: April 6, 2012 19:01

Looking for suggestions on how to improve my guitar solos. I can make the guitar sound pretty ..but like many who are self taught, I technically have no idea what I am doing.

Not sure where to start? The major scale, then on to pentatonic, Modes?

Any advise in surely appreciated...

Re: guitar scales/theory suggestions...
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 6, 2012 19:15

chrism13
Looking for suggestions on how to improve my guitar solos. I can make the guitar sound pretty ..but like many who are self taught, I technically have no idea what I am doing.

Of course, you didn't say what kind of music you prefere, but assuming you are a Stones fan, start with pentatonic major and minor. Put on something like "Dead Flowers" and play the pentatonic in the first "B" position. Bend the "G" string a lot. Instant country!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 6, 2012 19:27

I might suggest start working on the "minor pentatonic boxes". Just practice working these up, and down, the neck.

I found this picture out on the net.... You can see from these pictures that the boxes over lap each other, and although the fret numbers are off to the left, the patterns can also be started in any key.
Hope that helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-06 19:30 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 6, 2012 19:28

oops... looks like tele answered while I was searching/writing...
okey dokey, have fun.

Date: April 6, 2012 19:34

If you're a beginner, there is really only one shape to worry about and you can progress pretty quickly, that's the first position pentatonic. What makes it "major" or "minor" is simply moving it up or down the neck - the scale is exactly the same. In other words, if the songs is in the key of "A" start the scale at the 5th fret of the low "E" string, which is "A". This is the "major" pentatonic. Use this if you want a blues or rock sound (basically).

If you want a country sound, start the scale on the 2nd fret instead - the F# note (F#minor is the "minor" of the key of "A").

All you have to remember is to start the scale on the note of the key you are in, OR if you want "country", start it on whatever note the 6th minor is of that key. So if the song were in "C" you would start the scale on "A".

This is somewhat simplified, but it's 90% of all rock and country lead guitar, and you can play to basically any Stones song.

Listen to "You Can't Always Get What You Want" from Brussles if you want to hear both scales used in the same song. taylor does a solo in "A" (the song is in "C"), then switches to the scale in "C" for a harder-edged sound. Great effect.

Hope this helps rather than confuses!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 6, 2012 19:48

I could tell you THE answer Chris, but it's a secret. But here's a hint: Always try to get seats in the first 5 rows on the lead guitarists side of the stage. Watch what he or she does right before they turn their backs to the audience (that when the secret is too obvious and they are hiding it). peace

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 6, 2012 21:02

Minor pentatonic at the open position (E minor/G major) and at the 5th fret (A minor/C major) where the places I learned at. Of course, it's a movable scale depending on song key. Almost impossible to hit a bum note on most pop/rock/country/soul/reggae songs.

Good luck!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 6, 2012 23:48

chrism13

A major scale comes in handy, as it also contains 3 pentatonic major/minor scales + the mixolydian, very common in blues/country and (jazz) Rock.

Make sure you tell a melodic "story". If you're a Stones fan: Mick Taylor is your best teacher. He understands the art of phrasing best/was their pied piper imo.

If you want to dig a little deeper (which is relative of course) or want to master Latin & jazz improvisation, you cannot avoid the minor harmonic & minor melodic (jazz-scale). There is a lot hidden in it. Make sure you understand their chord-relationship.

In fact you're ready then: practise in all keys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 00:44 by Amsterdamned.

Date: April 9, 2012 16:25

Thanks everyone...some extremely helpful tips. Will keep you posted on the progress!

Date: April 9, 2012 22:25

So...not to jump too far ahead, but where/how do modes come into the play?

Date: April 9, 2012 22:44

Sorry,,just want to follow up:

So If want to play a solo over Dead Flowers in D ...I would find the root (D) on the sixth string on the 10th fret. Move down 3 frets to the B on the 7th fret, wich is the relative minor. I then play a D major pentatonic scale ...correct?

So this is part of the CAGED system...where I learn the scales mentioned in Max's Kansas City post...and to change keys I just move to the appropriote string/fret.
I can then play any of the CAGED scales as long as I am in the correct key ...correct?

Sorry to be a pain...but I am a slow learner/ trying to wrap my head around all the info.

much appreciated!

-Chris

Date: April 9, 2012 22:55

chrism13
So this is part of the CAGED system...where I learn the scales mentioned in Max's Kansas City post...and to change keys I just move to the appropriote string/fret.
I can then play any of the CAGED scales as long as I am in the correct key ...correct?

No pain at all bro, not all of us here are grumpy grannys snapping at the slightest comment, or just posting some smart ass comment to drive people away... it is a music based website.... music is meant for fun, Im here for the fun and Im not into snobbery.... so I am happy to help, if I am able to. I am sure there are people who have more expertise than I but who knows if they (are in the mood) to post something you can use... who knows?

I always say.... get info from 20-30 sources... and use whatever works best for you.

anyway...

Yes. I learned by doing this...
see the 4th diagram over, the box where you hit every fret on the 12th fret.... that is the E note on the e string.... the key of E.... if you were to do that on the 3rd fret down from the nut... and use the same box pattern it is the key of G, and the same patterns fit over those frets.

Try that and see if it sound right to your ears....

and maybe someone else will add to that.. or correct it... or something.

Practice those boxes until they became muscualar memory.... going up and down the neck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-09 22:59 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 9, 2012 22:59

71Tele
chrism13

Bend the "G" string a lot. Instant country!

True, but since I play a B-string bender a lot, I had to rethink that scale (since the bender takes care of the "G" bend).

Date: April 9, 2012 23:02

chrism13
Sorry,,just want to follow up:

So If want to play a solo over Dead Flowers in D ...I would find the root (D) on the sixth string on the 10th fret. Move down 3 frets to the B on the 7th fret, wich is the relative minor. I then play a D major pentatonic scale ...correct?

Sorry to be a pain...but I am a slow learner/ trying to wrap my head around all the info.

much appreciated!

-Chris

For Dead Flowers start the scale in 1st position at the 7th fret on the low E string, which is B. Your next note is D on the same string, then E and F# on the A string, etc. So, just use the basic pentatonic scale in B, which is the 6th minor of D.

Date: April 9, 2012 23:14

There seems to be 101 ways to say the same thing when talking about how to play guitars.... pictures always worked best for me.... try a lot of different methods from different people and pick(and use) the method that works best for you.

btw -if you can find it, I might suggest buying a booklet called "50 Blues moves". It is inexpensive and it has a CD and booklet which you play along with and it teaches you a bunch of cool licks.... I looked it up, I guess you can order it here... [www.heavyguitar.com]

EDIT-
Before you send them any money, make sure they are still in business, or maybe you local store can order it for you. Id hate to see you lose money for nothing, but Ill vouch for the book/cd itself, it was fun to learn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-09 23:18 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 10, 2012 02:24

Max'sKansasCity
I might suggest start working on the "minor pentatonic boxes". Just practice working these up, and down, the neck.

I found this picture out on the net.... You can see from these pictures that the boxes over lap each other, and although the fret numbers are off to the left, the patterns can also be started in any key.
Hope that helps.

The second one from left is the most widely used and easiest to learn. Start on the 12th fret (as shown) if you are playing blues in E major or E minor. Or for country in the key of G. (Em is the 6th minor of G).

Date: April 10, 2012 10:41

all of the boxes overlap next to each other

Edited 20 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-10 20:45 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 10, 2012 15:33

Yeah, chrism13, for a D major song (Dead Flowers, Can't You See, etc.) play the rock box at the 7th fret.

For a D minor blues or rock song, play it at the 10th fret. The 3 fret move changes the pentatonic (5 tones) from major to minor and vice versa.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 10, 2012 17:53

GREAT THREAD!!!!!

really useful good work people!

Date: April 10, 2012 22:53

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Hope that helps.

The second one from left is the most widely used and easiest to learn. Start on the 12th fret (as shown) if you are playing blues in E major or E minor. Or for country in the key of G. (Em is the 6th minor of G).

I think you meant the second one from the right, 71. Every thing else is just right. This position and the next are the ones I call the rock box(es). Good luck, chrism13.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 10, 2012 23:48

Thanks everybody...I am sure I will have a few more questions as I apply some of this. Worked on it a bit last night...so thanks again!

Date: April 11, 2012 03:48

thumbs up

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: April 11, 2012 04:45

This is the best "on line" teacher/tutorial I've found especially for leads/solos/licks. Adam is a great teacher and this 12 week course is free and has beginner/intermediate and advanced levels to choose from. If you follow this you will be so much better after a shot while. Of course everyone learns differently but this hands on approach sure helps.

[12weekguitarcourse.com]

I'm 44 and a drummer who plays with friends for many years. Having more spare time now so I decided 3 years ago to learn guitar so I can actually make songs and create something to call my own. Pretty late start but is such a fun hobby
. I made this country tune today and much of my (lack) of skill is from that course......nothing great but it's all my piece of country crap smiling smiley (realized after in the bridge I picked major E chord over minor E, oh well) Yup can't sing either but whats a song without it.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 11, 2012 18:09

Markdog - Dig your tune you posted. To me it sounds a little bit like the early stones (1964) in places. The bass guitar really stands out. Good job...

Date: April 11, 2012 22:03

chrism13
Thanks everybody...I am sure I will have a few more questions as I apply some of this. Worked on it a bit last night...so thanks again!

Good luck and have fun!

Date: April 12, 2012 13:13

Max'sKansasCity
GravityBoy
Guys and gals, this is an amazing piece of kit.

Thank you for the tip on the BR-80.

btw- New players should really pay attention here, recording yourself is a great learning tool.
[www.iorr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home