Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith heading for Hawaii...
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:36

This may be a long shot, even on this board...
...but I'll try anyway:

I recall seeing a concert fragment on television (so there must be footage of it on videotape and/or DVD) where Keith breaks his 'ever-shy' routine right before his 2-songs set by saying, all happy and enthusiastic as a 6-year-old: "I'M GOING (or maybe: flying?!) TO HAWAII IN THE MORNING!!" - something like that.

Anybody here on this board remembers that too?
Anyone can tell me what show that was? (P.S.: it definitely was a post '90-show...)

P.S.: according to timeisonourside.com, the Stones only played Hawaii in 1998 during the 'Vegas'-era. But it might just be, off course, that Keith wasn't refering to a show that they had to play over there, but merely was on the verge of a famiy holiday in between hows or after a tour...

Thanx for the help! Really appreciate it.

Cheerz -

Re: Keith heading for Hawaii...
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:39

And here I thought he was going to go near a palm tree again......

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 15:41

Pretty sure they did some other shows in Hawaii in the 70's. As Jagger add libs on a "No Expectations" rehearsal from Mountauk (?) ...Take me to Hawaii...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:03

chrism13
Pretty sure they did some other shows in Hawaii in the 70's.

they played there in 1973, but that's irrelevant to the original poster's question.
s/he's looking for a specific post-90 show.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: April 4, 2012 16:06

I see already a delay for the start of the 2013 tour...... ;-)

Date: April 4, 2012 18:06

with sssoul
chrism13
Pretty sure they did some other shows in Hawaii in the 70's.

they played there in 1973, but that's irrelevant to the original poster's question.
s/he's looking for a specific post-90 show.

...correct, With sssoul.
And to avoid any more misunderstandings, I'll rephrase myself:

"During the 'Vegas'-era, the Stones only played Hawaii in 1998, according to timeisonourside.com."

Thàt should do the trick. cool smiley

P.S.: And I must say, I wasn't expecting nor was I aiming for any 'palmtree' references. But my, I sure hope some more folks will have that reaction when they see this thread in the message list. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

P.S. 2: they did some shows there in rhe '60s too, if I'm not mistaking.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:19

RoughJusticeOnYa

P.S. 2: they did some shows there in rhe '60s too, if I'm not mistaking.

They certainly did: there's a rather good boot called "In Action: Honolulu 28th July 1966" - taken I think from a radio broadcast. I'd love to see this as one of the stonesarchive boots - but I bet they either won't think the sound is good enough, or it's not long enough, or they'll have issues with ABKCO. Oh well, a girl can dream...

Anyway, if Keith was flying to Hawaii for a show, the likely candidate for your quote would be Madison Square Garden on 17th January 1998 - their next two shows were in Hawaii. Don't know if there is a boot for that show.. Anyone?

Update: yes, it's MSG on 17/01/98: this from one of the iorr reviews here:

"The show was just as great as last night. Mick said they wanted to this as the best one, as it was their last at MSG. But I can't tell what's better of these shows. All three - just brilliant. Keith said How Are You, then he continued something How Would I Know, I'm off to Hawaii tomorrow. "

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 20:26 by Green Lady.

Date: April 4, 2012 21:10

Further update: there was a DVD of this show, formerly available via Hot Stuff, but all the links were on Megaupload, alas. All I can find from that show on YouTube is this: the one and only time Might As Well Get Juiced was ever played live. Why ever didn't they ever do it again?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 4, 2012 21:37

Maybe he didn't go there for a show, but for a vacation after the tour.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 22:07

My bad...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 4, 2012 23:27

Everybody "plays" when visiting Hawaii. Whether or not he played a show is a different question. He most certainly has visited, plenty of his friends holed up there on Pineapple Hill and on the North Kohala coast of the Big Island. peace

Date: April 5, 2012 12:59

Thanx, y'all!!
And spotlight on the Green Lady - I think you nailed it, my Friend!!
If you're truely a lady, then three kisses on each cheeck it will be from me!
If you're a guy, I hope you settle for some icey cold, Belgian beers... I'll get you some out of my home town!

P.S.: the reason of my querry: my wife (a marvelous, ellegant, gracious Stones 'Dame', who stays miles away from all forums & boards like this; the true Monkey Woman of this Monkey Man...) & I just booked our summer trip (July) to Hawaii.
And ever since we started planning, we can't help but grinning in 'Keith-style' to eachother & quoting this, numerous times a day.

Oh, well... Life's what you make of it, isn't it. cool smiley

Date: April 5, 2012 16:20

My pleasure, RoughJusticeOnYa - have a wondeful time in Hawaii!
(yes, I am one of the outnumbered females around here. But perhaps your wife would prefer me to get the beer instead of the kisses?)

Date: April 5, 2012 18:11

Green Lady
My pleasure, RoughJusticeOnYa - have a wondeful time in Hawaii!
(yes, I am one of the outnumbered females around here. But perhaps your wife would prefer me to get the beer instead of the kisses?)

...I'm sure she welcomes you to have both. smileys with beer

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 5, 2012 18:13

RoughJusticeOnYa
just booked our summer trip (July) to Hawaii.
And ever since we started planning, we can't help but grinning in 'Keith-style' to eachother & quoting this, numerous times a day.

Yeah, I can picture that. LOL. Have a great time.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 5, 2012 19:29

Check out what happened to this kid yesterday on Oahu's North Shore. ATTACKED by a 10 FOOT TIGER SHARK. What a friggin' GREAT attitude and outlook he has , right on brah! Love this guy, fights back, survives, then...hey no hard feelings. We call that peace of mind in these parts. peace

[www.grindtv.com]

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 5, 2012 21:08

I have an audio tape somewhere in which, as far as I can recall, Keith says he's going to the islands the next day.
I think this was on the Bridges to Babylon tour and I think it was a recording of a Madison Square Garden concert.
Sorry this is so vague!

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: April 5, 2012 21:11

"Keith Keith Keith of the Jungle WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE" !!!

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: April 5, 2012 21:14

Green Lady
... the one and only time Might As Well Get Juiced was ever played live.
Why ever didn't they ever do it again?

'cuz it's bleedin' 'orrible, Luv. smileys with beer

Date: April 6, 2012 10:53

TheDailyBuzzherd
Green Lady
... the one and only time Might As Well Get Juiced was ever played live.
Why ever didn't they ever do it again?

'cuz it's bleedin' 'orrible, Luv. smileys with beer

It's fairly clear from the end of the video that Mick thought it went down badly, and Keith's brief arm round the shoulders looks like "Oh well, thanks for trying, anyway." 'orrible or not, I like it (more than I do the studio version), but then I am well known to have cloth ears and no taste!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1674
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home