Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Standing in the shadow- where is the final version?
Posted by: robertfraser ()
Date: April 1, 2012 15:53

I remember in an interview with Keith that Decca released the wrong version/mix of have you seen your mother baby standing in the shadow. I appreciate it wasn't finished but where is the correct version up to that point in time?....has anyone able to post it?. I love the offcial version but would love to hear it, one of there best songs.

Re: Standing in the shadow- where is the final version?
Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: April 4, 2012 20:41

I think you might be getting mixed up with Satisfaction ( I can't get no ), because Decca went ahead and released an unauthorised version, it was of course a world wide No1, so nobody complained..... SO robertfraser just keep on enjoying the offcial version of " Shadow"

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 5, 2012 14:20

Don't take Keith's word as fact.

Both tracks are the intended for release versions.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 5, 2012 14:28

....maybe you mean Keith talking about the mix of the track ....

I liked the track, I hated the mix. Mainly because there was a fantastic mix of the thing, which was just right. But because they were in a rush and they needed to edit it down for the Ed Sullivan Show - 'cause we were booked to play our latest single which was gonna be Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow? - the mix was rushed and the essential qualities of it, for me, disappeared. Because... just because of the lack of time, you know...

- Keith Richards, c. 1982

It needed another couple weeks. The rhythm section is almost lost completely.

- Keith Richards, 1971

Keith always felt that the incorrectly mixed version was released as the single. The rhythm section is buried in the mix and it failed to create as much excitement as we all felt it should have done. Although we took longer to record and mix this single than any of our previous releases, Keith always felt it needed more - this was the beginning of the future!

- Bill Wyman, Rolling With The Stones, 2002

....thanks to - [www.timeisonourside.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 6, 2012 02:27

Although I often doubt those memories of Keith' in this case he could be right.

In 66/67 everybody wanted to go beyond bounds musically, every single had to offer somethig new.
The Stones - still with A. Oldham - had come under the influence of Jack Nitzsche and Phil Spector's "wall of sound".This whole project incl.the famous drag photos and video was very ambitious. So were the expensive recordings at RCA.
The result - both chart-wise and musically - wasn't satisfying and I think this was really mostly because of that mix.The noises,brass,the booming bass, drums, guitars and vocals, - it's all there but somehow buried in a "cheap" mix.

One of the early songs I'd really loved to see remixed and remastered.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 6, 2012 11:50

His Majesty
Don't take Keith's word as fact.

As on LIFE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home