Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: L.A.Friday
Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: March 24, 2012 08:15

71Tele
I had the boot called "Charlie Watts and His Rolling Stones" on speckled vinyl back in the 70s. Anyone here remember which LA '75 show that came from? I recall the boot being excellent. My first Stones show was one of the LA 1975 ones, though I can't remember which one.

I've seen this on some various sites online (I think it's called Charlie Watts and his Fabulous Rolling Stones.)

Here's a link:

Charlie Watts and His Fabulous Rolling Stones

[dbboots.com]

Looks like most are from 7/13, with Heartbreaker and Fingerprint File from 7/10.

On yet another site I've read that the 7/9 show (opening night of the LA run) was simply on fire. But I don't think good quality boots exist of that performance, unlike 7/13, which is in excellent audience quality and is also a hot performance.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 24, 2012 08:21

As much as I love 7/13, having first heard most of it on the 3-lp TOTA box bought mail order 30 odd years, I think that first night, 7/9, is the hottest show. If I recall, the recording, while certainly not on the level of the well-known 7/13 tape, is still pretty good. Gonna have to dig that one out.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 24, 2012 08:57

Is there a recording of the 12th?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 24, 2012 09:44

rocker1
On yet another site I've read that the 7/9 show (opening night of the LA run) was simply on fire. But I don't think good quality boots exist of that performance, unlike 7/13, which is in excellent audience quality and is also a hot performance.

The July 9th show is available in excellent quality....not as excellent quality as the July 13th show, but still....
[www.hungercity.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-24 09:45 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 24, 2012 09:46

tomk
Is there a recording of the 12th?

The first 9-10 songs is available in VG quality, but Jagger is way too low in the mix. You can hardly hear him. Great sound on Keith!
Rest of the show is avilable in dreadful quality only.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 24, 2012 10:28

Munichhilton
There are better 1975 choices,

wow, a new record! Within 10 posts you start complaining about a possible future release of a yet to be announced show, of which none we have heard in excellent, profesional quality!

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 24, 2012 10:46

Anyways, whatever show they release: it's fantastic! A fabulous tour, one of Charlie's best ever, sleazy, raw, template R&R. All the LA shows are fantastic, with 7/9 and 7/13 being the best. I always believed they would release a San Francisco though, as they intended to do so already in '75.

Concerning 7/11 -that show actually not as bad as many people think when you listen to the Falo Matrix release. It is again proof that bad sond quality can really spoil a good show, just as the mono SB's of the '81 tour. And a DVD would even be better -we only have a mix of 2 or 3 camera's, just as we had with the '78 tour. To get a proper DVD, with all camera's and in good sound would be fantastic!

Mathijs

Date: March 24, 2012 10:51

Mathijs
Concerning 7/11 -that show actually not as bad as many people think when you listen to the Falo Matrix release.

It's comes off as better in the Falo matrix, since it's not dead & dry sounding anymore (like the SBD recording alone was), but it's still evident that it's one of the poorest 1975 concerts, together with some of the MSG shows, IMO

I'm a big fan of TOTA 1975, but only Brown Sugar from the July 11th show really rocks

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: March 24, 2012 14:05

Erik_Snow
Mathijs
Concerning 7/11 -that show actually not as bad as many people think when you listen to the Falo Matrix release.

It's comes off as better in the Falo matrix, since it's not dead & dry sounding anymore (like the SBD recording alone was), but it's still evident that it's one of the poorest 1975 concerts, together with some of the MSG shows, IMO

I'm a big fan of TOTA 1975, but only Brown Sugar from the July 11th show really rocks

Midnight Rambler from the 11th is one of the best versions IMO

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 24, 2012 14:09

For Hampton they used this tourposter;

....and the handwriting is from Stu !!

Stu’s handwriting is found throughout the archive because he meticulously detailed every track on every recording while he was alive.

Justin
Erik_Snow
I believe that artwork is rubbish. The photo/poster they used is taken from the internet....I have the exact same one as a wallpaper; same kind of colouring and everything.
The RS-google-vaults never used any direct "web-copies" as artwork previously

Well, they're open to using actual tour posters from that specific tour as the artwork. Like they did with Brussels:

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 24, 2012 15:04

By the way any idea why there are 2 slightly different covers for Brussels '73 floating around?

From Stones archive website :

Different version (google image search tool)

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 24, 2012 15:54

andrewm
As much as I love 7/13, having first heard most of it on the 3-lp TOTA box bought mail order 30 odd years, I think that first night, 7/9, is the hottest show. If I recall, the recording, while certainly not on the level of the well-known 7/13 tape, is still pretty good. Gonna have to dig that one out.

I love the 7/13 show for sentimental reasons. From memory, I think this was the first boot I ever bought, and just like yourself, it came as a 3 lp set mail order. I remember being so excited when it arrived in the mail! I also share your opinion that the 7/9 show (which I haven't listened to in a while and have misplaced somewhere around my house) is the better of the two shows.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 24, 2012 18:53

Yeah, sighunt, I asked for it for, it was either my 13th or 14th (probably 14th) birthday and I remember being so excited when it arrived but having to wait a few days to open it. Remember how long ordering things through the mail used to take? Asking for a catalogue (perhaps it was Pied Piper in the back of Creem, or Still Rare Records) then sending a money order and waiting......

Anyway, like many here, I think I know much of that 3-lp set by heart because back then it was the only Stones boot I had. Then Bedspring Symphony and Welcome to New York (both found in a local store-eureka!) followed in quick succession.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 24, 2012 20:36

andrewm
Yeah, sighunt, I asked for it for, it was either my 13th or 14th (probably 14th) birthday and I remember being so excited when it arrived but having to wait a few days to open it. Remember how long ordering things through the mail used to take? Asking for a catalogue (perhaps it was Pied Piper in the back of Creem, or Still Rare Records) then sending a money order and waiting......

Anyway, like many here, I think I know much of that 3-lp set by heart because back then it was the only Stones boot I had. Then Bedspring Symphony and Welcome to New York (both found in a local store-eureka!) followed in quick succession.

Andrewm- Come to think of it, I either ordered TOTA from either Creem or maybe even Rolling Stone also had ads in the back of their magazine at that time for boots if I'm not mistaken. I also found Bedspring Symphony (along with the Stones Honolulu 73) from a local record shop that sold boots. I nearly wet my pants (LOL) when I heard those incredible versions of Midnight Rambler & Angie in soundboard quality for the first time.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 24, 2012 21:12

The cover art is from a Japanese website...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 24, 2012 21:58

LA 75 show would be great!
There are some other good ones from that tour and we even don't know all of them as they recorded a lot of gigs on that tour.
And most of the known boots - like the very good LA Friday - are only audience . .

But most important is they go (back) to such tours/gigs and we're not only getting the likes of Atlantic City 89, etc. from now.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: March 24, 2012 22:09

kowalski
By the way any idea why there are 2 slightly different covers for Brussels '73 floating around?

It seems that they now name the releases standardized: Title of the bootleg and in parentheses "Live+Year". At the beginning the 1st release Brussels was not named like this yet, so maybe they changed it now.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 27, 2012 00:47

I'd be happy with a mix and match of all the best bits from this stint, or the complete show from the 9th or 13th.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 27, 2012 01:17

Mathijs
Munichhilton
There are better 1975 choices,

wow, a new record! Within 10 posts you start complaining about a possible future release of a yet to be announced show, of which none we have heard in excellent, profesional quality!

Mathijs

Wow. Nowhere near a new record! Not even close....if they are happy enough to release this performance over others....then they have never listened to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-27 01:22 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 27, 2012 01:28

rocker1

Munichhilton, did you have other shows in mind? And do you think 7/13 is that poor of a choice for '75?

But we'll likely not get those shows given that previous releases have been Hampton and Brussels, which were already on everyone's shelf right next to LA Friday (7/13). My money is on 7/13, and that's okay with me.

Sure absolutely 7/13 would be a fine show to have in release quality.
Some of the new york shows are really good.. I do like fort Collins a lot after ErikSnow pointed it out to me but they'd have to work that out with Elton's people if they even recorded it...there's a Couple others.....but yeah it would be strange to release what could possibly be called the worst show of the tour.

Date: March 27, 2012 05:05

Erik_Snow
rocker1

The July 9th show is available in excellent quality....not as excellent quality as the July 13th show, but still....
[www.hungercity.org]

Thanks, Erik. That's great to know. In 30 or so years of collecting I've never picked up 7/9, which is evidently smokin'. I guess I'll have to break down and open an HC account. It's time like this that I really miss Megaupload! (shhhhh....don't tell Naturalust on me...he'll rap my knuckles...) Peace...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-27 05:18 by rocker1.

Date: March 27, 2012 05:11

Munichhilton
rocker1

Munichhilton, did you have other shows in mind? And do you think 7/13 is that poor of a choice for '75?

But we'll likely not get those shows given that previous releases have been Hampton and Brussels, which were already on everyone's shelf right next to LA Friday (7/13). My money is on 7/13, and that's okay with me.

Sure absolutely 7/13 would be a fine show to have in release quality.
Some of the new york shows are really good.. I do like fort Collins a lot after ErikSnow pointed it out to me but they'd have to work that out with Elton's people if they even recorded it...there's a Couple others.....but yeah it would be strange to release what could possibly be called the worst show of the tour.

Yeah, I understand your first post completely now if you were assuming it was a 7/11 release. While beggars can't be choosers, I'd scratch my head too if that was what was decided they'd release next, as there are lots of better shows from that tour to choose from. (Ha, maybe ALL the shows from that tour are better! Although I do confess that the falo matrix improves the overall enjoyment of 7/11 considerably). But as the ole "LA Friday" boot was actually the much better 7/13 Sunday show, perhaps that's what they are also thinking, and that would be acceptable. (heck, at this stage...more than acceptable.)

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: March 27, 2012 07:54

atsu69
Hi, that's my site.
What I can tell you is the picture is not mockup.

[www.st.rim.or.jp]

Hi atsu69
Great site
what a pity it's not in english
Can't you relly do anything so that everybody can read the whole information ?

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: March 27, 2012 10:27

the july 12 show,a matrix with the other source (not the millard)
a matrix of these two sources,would get the vocal more upfront ?

Posted by: atsu69 ()
Date: March 27, 2012 10:46

Hi jpasc95
Thank you kindky.
I wish I could speak English very well, but it seems time is not on my side...

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: March 27, 2012 13:30

vancouver

Are you able to do that Vancouver?

Date: March 27, 2012 14:03

vancouver

Horrible idea. The "other source" is so crying awful that it's impossible to listen to. Shame that the LA Saturday show is preserved in such bad quality, because it's a marvellous performance

Date: March 27, 2012 15:48

I used to have the LP boots of a few of these 1975 shows. The sound quality was good but not up to later unofficial releases in the 1980s. As for the musical content, it was OK but not great. I saw them in 1975 and it was the same thing. Then again I was comparing them to the blistering 1973 shows!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home