Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"I just don't know what to tell you, Mr. Belli..."
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 8, 2012 08:15

There's a scene in Gimme Shelter where Belli is talking about getting "an affidavit and a temporary restraining order." I always thought that was odd. What would an affidavit and a temporary restrain order have to do with giving a free concert? I asked a friend of mine who's a lawyer, and he couldn't make heads or tails out of it, either.
Belli was certainly a showman who liked the cameras so I'm wondering if he was just BSing for the Maysles. I worked for a documentary director and believe me, they like to manipulate a lot of stuff--"It'll work for the film, baby" and all that crap. Anyway, any ideas why an affidavit and a restraining order would be needed for the Altamont gig?

Re: "I just don't know what to tell you, Mr. Belli..."
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 8, 2012 09:07

that wasn't for Altamont - that was for the owners of the second site that was planned for the show
(the first being Golden Gate Park, but the necessary permits weren't granted).
if memory serves, the owners of the second site apparently waited until things were already being set up
to suddenly announce that their permission was contingent on being paid a ton of money, getting a share in the film rights etc

so what would an affadavit and a restraining order have to do with that?
an affadavit affirming permission was granted with only mutually agreeable strings attached?
a restraining order to keep them from kicking the concert-preppers off the property?

or it could be BS for the movie, as you say

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-08 09:19 by with sssoul.

Date: March 8, 2012 09:33

with sssoul
that wasn't for Altamont - that was for the owners of the second site that was planned for the show
(the first being Golden Gate Park, but the necessary permits weren't granted).
if memory serves, the owners of the second site apparently waited until things were already being set up
to suddenly announce that their permission was contingent on being paid a ton of money, getting a share in the film rights etc

so what would an affadavit and a restraining order have to do with that?
an affadavit affirming permission was granted with only mutually agreeable strings attached?
a restraining order to keep them from kicking the concert-preppers off the property?

or it could be BS for the movie, as you say

Yeah, Sears Point being the second place. The only reason for an affidavit would be needed, I think, would be the Stones stating "Yes, we will play at the Altamont speedway at such and such a date." It was a free concert, so were there any contracts involved at all? An affidavit is a legal document. Maybe with the permits needed and all? Then again, I'm no lawyer, so...

Date: March 8, 2012 09:51

smile: i know what an affadavit is, more or less, tomk! and i'm sure there were contracts involved -
if nothing else there would need to be delineations of who was financially/legally responsible to whom
for costs, damages, cleaning up, making sure them hippies were not fornicating on adjacent property, etc;
and the property owners would need to affirm that they permitted the whole shebang to take place;
and there would be insurance and assignment of the film rights and all that.

i'm not a lawyer either, by the way - i only grew up in a houseful of 'em.
i'm sure one of our fine resident legal iorrollers will shed way better light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-08 09:53 by with sssoul.

Date: March 8, 2012 10:09

with sssoul
smile: i know what an affadavit is, more or less, tomk! and i'm sure there were contracts involved -
if nothing else there would need to be delineations of who was financially/legally responsible to whom
for costs, damages, cleaning up, making sure them hippies were not fornicating on adjacent property, etc;
and the property owners would need to affirm that they permitted the whole shebang to take place;
and there would be insurance and assignment of the film rights and all that.

i'm not a lawyer either, by the way - i only grew up in a houseful of 'em.
i'm sure one of our fine resident legal iorrollers will shed way better light.

Oh, I'm sure you know what an affidavit is. I was just sort of talking to myself while writing. Ever since I saw GS all those years ago, I've always wondered what Belli was talking about. Maybe Mr. Schneider ("Schneider?" Who is that guy in the film who says that?) could shed some light.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 8, 2012 17:29

The even odder thing is that the guy's voice on the speaker phone that said "have you talked with Jagger?" was dubbed in. The later reissue of the movie had a different voice.

Date: March 8, 2012 18:31

71Tele
The even odder thing is that the guy's voice on the speaker phone that said "have you talked with Jagger?" was dubbed in. The later reissue of the movie had a different voice.

I noticed that, too. That campy voice was always good for a laugh.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: March 9, 2012 10:44

I'll try and shed some light...the Maysles never nor would ever manipulate anything for a documentary. They believed that a documentary, documented what was happening and not what they wanted to happen!
I know this for a fact!! I was there: was with them most of the time during filming and some editing and years later I (with two other friends) helped set up a film school at the University of Vermont. Toward the end of the first class project --film something environmentally or socially worthy--they screened GIMME SHELTER. Interestingly, most of the students weren't aware of the film and said their parents told them about it when they heard of the screening.. After they saw it they flipped out and wanted to rent it.
After the screening I had set up a conference call with Albert Maysles to talk to the students. As they gathered round the speaker he spoke to the fact that it was the documentarians role to only record what he sees and hears and not to put a spin or influence in any way what is happening= Document the events! The professors ran into a corner and were conferring. When the call ended they stood before the class and tried to lecture that it was also okay to try and influence the audience with a documentary..obviously trying to cover their asses as they weren't teaching what the Maysles were describing.
Now for Belli..I thought he was a grandstander. He wanted us to break the law and stay at the second location..saying..let them try and move hundreds of thousands of kids...nice advice from a lawyer--break the law. I had gone to him to sue Filmways for jerking us around and creating this mess. Years later I would get calls from him in different cities around the world and he would ask if I knew any girls there..
Yes the voice is weird but sound wasn't clean and he may have been right next to the mic--I am not sure but will ask Albert..
PS: I said the "F" word 8 times in the original version and they had to cut me so that you only hear me give the car count for parking...:-)

Date: March 9, 2012 10:53

As to a contract..Carter wanted a contract and I refused to sign anything on behalf of the Stones. It was a free concert.. Karmicly, the con man John Jaymes signed the contract in the name of his company, Young American Enterprises (never trust any company with the name American in it!) when he realized that was the only way it would come about. Months later he nearly got me killed -guns to the head killed..so I can smile when I remember the look on his face when things fell apart at Altamont..

Date: March 9, 2012 11:24

thanks for your insights, bmuseed! fascinating as usual :E

bmuseed
Now for Belli..I thought he was a grandstander. He wanted us to break the law and stay at the second location...
saying... let them try and move hundreds of thousands of kids...nice advice from a lawyer--break the law.
I had gone to him to sue Filmways for jerking us around and creating this mess.

so the restraining order he was talking about would be to stop Filmways from interfering with the concert preparations?
what kind of affadavit did he have in mind, do you recall?

bmuseed
PS: I said the "F" word 8 times in the original version and they had to cut me
so that you only hear me give the car count for parking...:-)

smile: that's documenting what was happening and not what they wanted to happen, all right! :E

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: March 9, 2012 11:49

with sssoul
thanks for your insights, bmuseed! fascinating as usual :E

+ 1 - looking forward to your autobiography, Ron!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 9, 2012 16:01

the maysles played so fast and loose with everything, who knows- outside of the concert footage, this film seems less and less relevant to me every year - so much of it is a sham, from creating the effect that the burritos opened altamont to dubbing in the burritos with a studio track

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 9, 2012 16:48

bmuseed
(never trust any company with the name American in it!)

You can trust ABKCO though. grinning smiley

Date: March 9, 2012 18:09

And you know this because?
If by fast and loose you are talking about the editing process-sure --but as to the footage they use-absolutely not! I still think they have footage that shows the Angels not on the stage until they are called up after a guy charges the stage and flies thru the drum kit. The singer on the stage asks for someone to come up and help and the Angels came up to the stage and no one dared ask them to leave. This would blow a factual hole in the other urban myth of the Angels being hired as stage security.
After the film was out, I spoke with the Maysles and they were upset. They said that they had done SALESMAN about a door to door bible salesman, which they thought should have gotten acclaim for as a documentary and the thing that got them noticed and money was GIMME SHELTER. I was happy to see they got the the acclaim they deserved when GREY GARDENS, got commercialized and nominated for an academy award!! (unfortunately David wasn't around to see it)Albert now runs a film institute in NYC.

hbwriter
the maysles played so fast and loose with everything, who knows- outside of the concert footage, this film seems less and less relevant to me every year - so much of it is a sham, from creating the effect that the burritos opened altamont to dubbing in the burritos with a studio track

Date: March 9, 2012 18:19

By the way.. I have a link on my site to the best reveiw and info I have seen to date on GIMME SHELTER--enjoy..

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 9, 2012 19:13

bmuseed
If by fast and loose you are talking about the editing process-sure --but as to the footage they use-absolutely not! I still think they have footage that shows the Angels not on the stage until they are called up after a guy charges the stage and flies thru the drum kit. The singer on the stage asks for someone to come up and help and the Angels came up to the stage and no one dared ask them to leave. This would blow a factual hole in the other urban myth of the Angels being hired as stage security.
After the film was out, I spoke with the Maysles and they were upset. They said that they had done SALESMAN about a door to door bible salesman, which they thought should have gotten acclaim for as a documentary and the thing that got them noticed and money was GIMME SHELTER. I was happy to see they got the the acclaim they deserved when GREY GARDENS, got commercialized and nominated for an academy award!! (unfortunately David wasn't around to see it)Albert now runs a film institute in NYC.

Thank you for sharing this insight. I love Salesman - a family favorite (we're kind of an odd tribe smiling smiley)...I had no idea the Mayles's did that too...I find I need to see a documentary several times (if it's good) as I often miss nuances in the first viewing. You've inspired me to watch Gimme Shelter again. I just finished Stanley Booth's True Adventures. Can you tell me your impressions of Stanley & his book - I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear your thoughts on this period of the Stones.
Thanks again!

Date: March 9, 2012 19:40

bmuseed: What was up with the campy voice on the speakerphone used in the scene in GS with Belli? The one who says "Have you taled with Jagger"? For years I thought this was the real guy, and it turns out they dubbed this in? Who was really on the line in that scene and why was his real voice not used?

Date: March 9, 2012 19:44

Unfortunately I am biased against Stanley. His original book had so many errors as far as I was concerned..which he excused because of drugs. He was hiding the fact that he was doing a book deal from me and I feel his impression of me and my intent were clouded by his own 'guilt'and deception. I was disappointed. It helped me learn that you can't trust reporters or other books as they are slanted by the authors own opinions and perceptions..I have only met one reporter that changed their article to correct their misconception and it was a reveiwer of GIMME SHELTER for the NYPost--
Another reason why I liked the Maysles, as they showed the truth as close as it could be. Long live raw video..

memphiscats
bmuseed

Thank you for sharing this insight. I love Salesman - a family favorite (we're kind of an odd tribe smiling smiley)...I had no idea the Mayles's did that too...I find I need to see a documentary several times (if it's good) as I often miss nuances in the first viewing. You've inspired me to watch Gimme Shelter again. I just finished Stanley Booth's True Adventures. Can you tell me your impressions of Stanley & his book - I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear your thoughts on this period of the Stones.
Thanks again!

Date: March 9, 2012 19:56

Parts of his book were actually articles written before the 1969 tour, they were published in Eye magazine in early 1969.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 9, 2012 20:00

smoking smiley

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 9, 2012 20:10

For years I wondered about the change in voices over the phone with Mel Beli when Gimme shelter was re released. In 2007 at the private Shidoobee screening of the MSG footage, I asked Albert Maysles about the reason for the different voice. I figured it was due to legal reasons about using the now second more realistic voice. Albert had NO CLUE about what I was talking about, no clue about why a different voice would be used, and also doubted that a different voice was used. So we may never know unless my friend here on IORR Mr. Schneider can tell us.

Larry

Date: March 9, 2012 20:12

deardoctortake1
For years I wondered about the change in voices over the phone with Mel Beli when Gimme shelter was re released. In 2007 at the private Shidoobee screening of the MSG footage, I asked Albert Maysles about the reason for the different voice. I figured it was due to legal reasons about using the now second more realistic voice. Albert had NO CLUE about what I was talking about, no clue about why a different voice would be used, and also doubted that a different voice was used. So we may never know unless my friend here on IORR Mr. Schneider can tell us.

Larry

It definitely was a different voice used in the re-release, as I had seen the original version about a hundred times and knew that scene almost by heart; so when the reissue came out with a different voice it was quite striking. I thought I'd been had for believing all those years that the original voice was real.

Date: March 9, 2012 20:13

bmuseed
Unfortunately I am biased against Stanley. His original book had so many errors as far as I was concerned..which he excused because of drugs. He was hiding the fact that he was doing a book deal from me and I feel his impression of me and my intent were clouded by his own 'guilt'and deception. I was disappointed. It helped me learn that you can't trust reporters or other books as they are slanted by the authors own opinions and perceptions..I have only met one reporter that changed their article to correct their misconception and it was a reveiwer of GIMME SHELTER for the NYPost--
Another reason why I liked the Maysles, as they showed the truth as close as it could be. Long live raw video..

memphiscats

Thanks again!
I read books like True Adventures without thinking too much about accuracy... but I imagine if someone wrote something incorrect about me, it would annoy me. And since Mr. Booth didn't publish this book until 15 years after the events, it's no wonder some of his info is off. That said, I enjoyed his perspective on the times & appreciate his impressions - albeit slanted. His prose was stirring. Thank you so much for your thoughts - it's great to hear what you have to say. What a trip!

Date: March 9, 2012 20:30

To be fair, everyone, including bmuseed gets things wrong and/or mixes stuff up etc etc.

[meandtherollingstones.com]

A 1966 photo, with 1967 memories, possibly 1966 memories too!?

smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-09 20:34 by His Majesty.

Date: March 9, 2012 22:11

71Tele
deardoctortake1

Larry

It definitely was a different voice used in the re-release, as I had seen the original version about a hundred times and knew that scene almost by heart; so when the reissue came out with a different voice it was quite striking. I thought I'd been had for believing all those years that the original voice was real.

Yeah, it's definitely a different voice (person). That's the first thing I noticed in the reissue. "Where's that campy-voiced guy?" I know that scene by heart, too. And Belli used a line which I still use to this day, "Don't turn me into a proctologist, just tell me what I can do here!"
I'm gonna look at the bonus features (interviews) in the re-released version. I seem to recall one of the guys interviewed had a voice similar to the original.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 10, 2012 03:43

I wanna know why Belli doesn't want to be a proctologist?

Date: March 10, 2012 04:45

whitem8

Because the guy on the phone was telling him the whole thing was a big pain in the ass.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 10, 2012 05:18

bmuseed
I'll try and shed some light...the Maysles never nor would ever manipulate anything for a documentary

Actually not true, The Maysles moved the murder in the film from when it actually occurred after the Under My thumb false start(not in the film), to after the full Under My thumb. But while the murder is occurring, you hear the Stones playing the second Under My thumb, but the band on film is not playing. You have to compare the film with the audience recording to see it and hear it more clearly, but they did move the murder

Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-10 05:20 by deardoctortake1.

Date: March 10, 2012 06:08

deardoctortake1
bmuseed
I'll try and shed some light...the Maysles never nor would ever manipulate anything for a documentary

Actually not true, The Maysles moved the murder in the film from when it actually occurred after the Under My thumb false start(not in the film), to after the full Under My thumb. But while the murder is occurring, you hear the Stones playing the second Under My thumb, but the band on film is not playing. You have to compare the film with the audience recording to see it and hear it more clearly, but they did move the murder

Larry
Can you elaborate? I'm not gruesome - just curious about the facts.
Thank you.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 10, 2012 06:19

71Tele
whitem8

Because the guy on the phone was telling him the whole thing was a big pain in the ass.

YEs, i understand that, i am saying he looks like an assman. Probably had a license plate that said, "ASSMAN".

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home