Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Has The Doors always been cool?
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 2, 2012 12:19

I remember back in the silent years, nobody cared `bout The Doors. That is, the mid 70s, when smooth reigned the throne. The Doors? Eh, give me some Tina Charles, please! Abba!

That`s how it was! It was impossible to get a book on the matter, and “The Soft Parade”, well, it was “disleased”! Anyway, The Doors came to me during the silent years, long before it was considered listenable.

Re: OT: Has The Doors always been cool?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 2, 2012 12:29

In The Netherlands it seemed that nobody knew about them until that Doors movie came out in the early 90's.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 2, 2012 12:31

Mathijs
In The Netherlands it seemed that nobody knew about them until that Doors movie came out in the early 90's.

Mathijs

Bollocks.

Date: March 2, 2012 12:43

Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

Bollocks.

aah, you've learned a new word. But, the fact that throughout most of the 70's and 80's the Doors albums were out of print in the Netherlands does mean something, doesn't it.

Mathijs

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: March 2, 2012 12:43

Mathijs

Mathijs

Bullschijt

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 2, 2012 14:15

There was a great resurgence of interest in the Doors beginning in 1980 that was centered around the publication of a book called No One Here Gets Out Alive, and another resurgence of interest in 1991 when the Oliver Stone film was released. Reunion tours in either of those years would have bee huge. They waited until 2003. Way to strike while the iron's hot guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 14:48 by tatters.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 2, 2012 15:13

The Doors have been a staple of FM rock radio in the States all along.

Rolling Stone had a cover story in 1981 about their unwaning popularity 10 years after Jim Morrison's death that included the headline "He's Hot, He's Sexy, And He's Dead."

Nothing much has changed. Their management just keeps finding new ways to flog the catalog, be it box sets of the original albums, outtakes boxes, and live recordings.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 2, 2012 15:17

I see a red door and I want to paint it black.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 2, 2012 15:25

tatters
There was a great resurgence of interest in the Doors beginning in 1980 that was centered around the publication of a book called No One Here Gets Out Alive, and another resurgence of interest in 1991 when the Oliver Stone film was released. Reunion tours in either of those years would have bee huge. They waited until 2003. Way to strike while the iron's hot guys!

This also resembles my recollections of Doors reception on Finland. The book NO ONE HERE GETS OUT ALIVE was also translated eraly 80's into Finnish, and cool hip people - like me smoking smiley- were then introduced to the tales of lizard king. That took around the same time when the star of Keith Richards started to shine brighter than ever, and of course, partly due to same reasons as Morrison's. But the big public discovered Morrison not until Oliver Stone's movie. At that time me - a musical snob and elitist as I am tongue sticking out smiley - I hated that hype and thought that Jimbo and the band were extremily over-rated. Not much listened the Doors ever since.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 15:26 by Doxa.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 2, 2012 15:27

I went to a Doors cafe in Amsterdam in 98.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:00

I am sure that the movie had a huge impact on rekindling the interest in The Doors but I know for a fact that The Doors were one of the most well known bands in Yugoslavia, even before the movie came out. Taking that into account I doubt that they were relatively unknown in other European countries. The Doors are a tad overrated but still an exceptional band.

Date: March 2, 2012 16:01

Yes they have.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:12

Here in the US, at least in my lifetime (born in 1978) I would always say yes. I remember growing up in the 80's, frequently seeing that famous shirtless picture of Morrison and hearing tunes like "Light My Fire" and "People Are Strange" in movies. But Oliver Stone's 1991 movie about the band definitely helped to cement their long-term viability in pop culture. As with any band, some years they seem hipper than others, but they have basically always been considered to be 'cool' here in the States.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:21

Doxa
tatters

This also resembles my recollections of Doors reception on Finland. The book NO ONE HERE GETS OUT ALIVE was also translated eraly 80's into Finnish, and cool hip people - like me smoking smiley- were then introduced to the tales of lizard king. That took around the same time when the star of Keith Richards started to shine brighter than ever, and of course, partly due to same reasons as Morrison's. But the big public discovered Morrison not until Oliver Stone's movie. At that time me - a musical snob and elitist as I am tongue sticking out smiley - I hated that hype and thought that Jimbo and the band were extremily over-rated. Not much listened the Doors ever since.

- Doxa

The publication of the book coincided with the peak of my own interest in the Doors. It's been on the wane ever since, but I do remember going in 1980 to a midnight screening of the "Doors in Europe 1968" concert film, and the theater was absolutely packed with college-aged kids like myself, so I think a lot of people caught Doors fever at the same time I did. This also approximately coincided with the "He's Hot, He's Sexy, He's Dead" Rolling Stone cover story.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:25

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

Bollocks.

aah, you've learned a new word. But, the fact that throughout most of the 70's and 80's the Doors albums were out of print in the Netherlands does mean something, doesn't it.

Mathijs
Well Mathijs. I bought those records in the 80s in the Utrechtsestraat, and there was no problem at all I remember.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:26

The Doors cool? Never happened.
This is the type of band people are told they should like so they try really hard to, without truly liking more than one bridge or chorus in a song they couldn't name.

What utter garbage...The Doors. Hah!!

[writer's opinion]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:29

I remember growing up in the 7-tees they were very popular in Holland amongst most younger people with a "good taste". When Jim passed away, the other band members were less succesful. That's' no surprise: Morrison was "the man".

Date: March 2, 2012 16:31

Munichhilton
This is the type of band people are told they should like so they try really hard to, without truly liking more than one bridge or chorus in a song they couldn't name.

[writer's opinion]

Similar to people ranting about how good the 4 new tracks on FORTY LICKS were as well as the shit tracks on A BIGGER BANG and DIRTY WORK!

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: March 2, 2012 16:52

YES, the Doors were ALWAYS "COOL"., maybe LESS POPULAR in the seventies, but always cool. note: (Jim Morrison, as you probably already know, was a fond admirer of Brian Jones.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 2, 2012 17:04

Me thinks they are overated ever since Morrison kicked the bucket

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 17:05 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 2, 2012 17:42

Have the Doors ever been cool ?

The only thing I remember them ever being is utter shit

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 2, 2012 18:04

It is always important to make sure that The Doors is cool first.
Light My Fire

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 2, 2012 18:08

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Munichhilton

[writer's opinion]

Similar to people ranting about how good the 4 new tracks on FORTY LICKS were as well as the shit tracks on A BIGGER BANG and DIRTY WORK!

Similar, but so much more eloquent.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 2, 2012 18:11

ab
Nothing much has changed. Their management just keeps finding new ways to flog the catalog, be it box sets of the original albums, outtakes boxes, and live recordings.

Sounds familiar...............sad smiley

Date: March 2, 2012 18:17

I grew up in the 80's and in that time '60's music was really fashionable. We where all deep into each and every band from that time, from the big bands to the obscure, but the Doors really wheren't around much. They didn't feature in any of the movies that we watched (Woodstock, Monterey Pop, Gimme Shelter), they weren't featured much in books or magazines or what so ever. To us they where much like the Grateful Dead -we knew about them because they where huge in the US, but I don't remember ever to have heard their music beyond a snippet here and there.

There would be one or two songs on an MTV 60's special, and there was some footage of their gig in Amsterdam, where Jim failed to show up and was considered a looser by the press.

Mathijs

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 2, 2012 18:31

Amsterdamned wrote:
"I remember growing up in the 7-tees they were very popular in Holland amongst most younger people with a "good taste"."

- Yeah, I suppose you gotta have "good taste", and maybe a little education too...

The GR wrote:
"I went to a Doors cafe in Amsterdam in 98."

- Hmm, a little late, but really a Doors cafe?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 2, 2012 18:38

It was some where behind Dan Square near a post office, I remember going to the Doors cafe for a drink after buying my Haag ticket for September (the wettest show ever).

I thought they would be relieved that An American Prayer had just been released on CD as they couldn't have had much music to play (about 8 CDs worth). Don't remember them playing the Doors though.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: March 2, 2012 18:58

I saw The Doors Are Open on Finnish TV in summer 1983. I didn't know much about The Doors by that time (Light My Fire and other hits of course) but when the first chords of "When The Music's Over" came from the loudspeakers I was mesmerized. That documentary has the best versions of those songs (unfortunately quite much edited versions).

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 2, 2012 19:04

How cool is it to headline a concert, sing about 6 songs acting like you don't even want to be there, sit down and read poetry for the next 20 or 25 minutes then leave the stage. I can tell you there were about 18,000 people that night who thought it wasn't cool. It was in December of 1968 when I stopped being a Doors fan.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 2, 2012 19:41

I never thought the Doors were cool. They've always sounded like a lounge act to me.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home