Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT (sort of): What other music do you like that's outside the Stones genre?
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 1, 2012 14:47

Sinatra at The Sands is a classic live album. Some of the later ones are none too great. However, studio wise, I like Frank's She Shot Me Down.

GR - you don't know what you're missing not liking Cajun. Beausoleil are amazing.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 1, 2012 15:25

I said cajun - whatever it is that Clifton Chernier plays?

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: March 1, 2012 15:46

superrevvy
suddenly lotza...

but i'll only post this one video which, like a good many of her videos, actually
somewhat detracts, or at least distracts, from the music. But on the plus side
she was able to take reggae to number 12 on the charts recently with this
song - no small feat - combining her one-girl girl-group thing with an up-to-the-
minute caribbean vibe...

Like some of her stuff but this I don't get.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 1, 2012 15:47

The only Rihanna song I like is Shut Up And Drive

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 1, 2012 16:57

Right now I'm going thru a film score phase, so I'm listening to all of my soundtrack scores, which are primarily those of John Williams, along with some John Barry, James Horner, and Michael Kamen. I'm mixing it up with some actual classical as well - Mozart, Vivaldi, Holst, Gershwin, Bizet.

Shocking music in terms of Stones would probably be my love of 80's hair metal bands. Also love Beyonce, Christina Aguilera, and some hip-hop - Black Eyed Peas/Will.I.Am, Beastie Boys. Koda Kumi is a recent discovery for me that I enjoy immensely - more for her videos I think winking smiley Like more traditional modern country (Alan Jackson, Alison Krauss, Tim McGraw, Zac Brown Band). Matisyahu is quite possibly my current favorite of the new artists to come out in the last 10-15 years. Absolutely love him.

Fine Young Cannibals were always a band that I enjoyed, and I never got rid of my Milli Vanilli cds, as whomever was singing, I truly enjoyed them.

Christian Rock is possibly as far from the Stones as one can get, and I listen to a fair amount of that - Third Day being my favorite, but I also love Decemberadio, Superchick, Caedmon's Call, P.O.D., Sixteen Cities/Issakar, Disciple.

And lately I've very much moved away from the successful current artists in favor of independent artists not yet big. Of these, Dangermaker and The Steepwater Band are perhaps my very favorites. It's great talking to independent artists - they'll often have whole email conversations with you.

Those are probably the areas that I listen to that are about as far away from the Stones world as one can get.......

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 1, 2012 19:22

The GR
I said cajun - whatever it is that Clifton Chernier plays?
It's Zydeco.

Date: March 1, 2012 20:32

Oh man ! GR you'd be missing great record labels like Arhoolie.

You also would be missing Buckwheat Zydeco, Boozoo Chavis, etc.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 1, 2012 21:40

genre doesn't matter. IS IT GOOD?

Posted by: Jahman ()
Date: March 1, 2012 22:30

MAKOSSA!!!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 2, 2012 03:20

Tom, as usual, your taste is wonderful!

Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha, the best of Motown, Stevie, Steely Dan.
Great jazz. Certain Jackson Browne and David Lindley. Dusty. June Christie.
Much of original Lynyrd Skynyrd band. Puccini. AND THAT's JUST FOR STARTERS.
My next book is going to have a chapter on "Perfect Records" and "Perfect Songs."

Date: March 2, 2012 12:46

Thank you, stonesrule.

I was giving some of The Wall Immersion box a listen to last night.

Ray Charles is good: sometimes, it is worth exploring some of his lesser-known 70s and 80s sides, like on Rare Genius. He also does a wonderful version of Stevie Wonder's Living In The City, and a great cover of The Jealous Kind by Bobby Charles. There's also a wonderful live album from Japan, which is download only. I also love some of his 80s country stuff, such as Ain't Your Memory Got No Pride At All, Wish You Were Here Tonight, Do I Ever Cross Your Mind, 3/4 Time, Crazy Old Soldier, Seven Spanish Angels.

Ella: it has to be the song-books: I have them all, but particularly appreciate the Duke Ellington and Gershwin ones.

Aretha: the 1960s Columbia material has many undiscovered gems - her version of Skylark and also Lee Cross. Her Atlantic stuff, up to 1974, is excellent. The 2 cd rarities and unreleased stuff from the Atlantic vaults is also great.

Motown: I like the Velvelettes, The Marvelettes, Frank Wilson, and love the film Standing In The Shadows of Motown about the Funk Brothers. I also like What's Going On and Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye, and Stevie up to and including Hotter Than July.

Steely Dan are great: I also love Nightfly and Morph The Cat by Donald Fagan. They are great solo albums. Dusty is great; her version of Tupelo Honey is amazing. June Christie, I need to get some more of, after hearing her on Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour. By the way, I also like One More From the Road by Skynryd.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 3, 2012 04:44

Tom, you NEED Ray from the early 60's on.

I remember having a conversation with Randy Newman (all we did in the late 60's and 70's was talk about music constantly.) He asked me my favorite current album, and I said, "The Genius of Soul" by Ray Charles.

Turned out that was his favorite, too. We discussed it track by track practically swooning over our hero.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 3, 2012 18:03

Bliss
I listen to a lot of operatic rock such as Nightwish, Therion, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, After Forever, etc.

Nightwish ,Within Temptation ?
Interesting .
Not a lot of people enjoy listening to metal gothic .
I really liked the " Mother Earth "album but imo,they miss something on live .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: March 3, 2012 23:14

Stonesrule,

I have Pure Genius, which is the complete Atlantic Recordings 1952-1959. I think the album you refer to, should be The Genius of Ray Charles, an album recorded in 1959 which Quincy Jones had a hand in arranging in conjunction with Ralph Bass. I think it was a half-way split between them both. On the Pure genius box there's an amazing outtake of My Buddy, which Ray revisited in 1991 on the Quincy Jones box set.

I also have Genius Hits The Road from 1960, Genius + Soul = Jazz Concord 2 cd set, Dedicated To You, Ray Charles/Betty Carter, Modern Sounds In Country & Western, Ingredients In a Recipe For Soul, Sweet & Sour Tears, Have A Smile With Me, Live in 1964 Shrine Arena, Message For The People, Rare Genius, Genius 50th Anniversary 5 cd box set, Country 4 cd box set, Live at The Olympia 2000, Genius Loves Company, Ray Sings Basie SWings, plus his guest appearances with Aretha Franklin on Live @ The Fillmore and the Aretha rarities set, and a guest version of Song For You with Willie Nelson and Leon Russell.

I think a lot of his 70s stuff goes un-noticed, and would love Concord to do a 2cd set of his album with Betty Carter and Porgy & Bess with Cleo Laine. Granted though, that Ray has recorded a fair deal of rubbish in his career.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 4, 2012 11:15

SwayStones
Bliss
I listen to a lot of operatic rock such as Nightwish, Therion, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, After Forever, etc.

Nightwish ,Within Temptation ?
>>Interesting Not a lot of people enjoy listening to metal gothic .

I don't exactly feel alone at their concerts.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: March 4, 2012 17:16

Bob Dylan
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Beatles
David Bowie
Johnny Cash
The Doors
The Grateful Dead
Johnny Lang
Muddy Waters
Jerry Lee Lewis
Nirvana
Gram Parsons
Motown
Prince
REM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bruce Springsteen
Rod Stewart
Jack White
Van Morrison
Hank Williams
Johnny Winter
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Niel Young
Willie Nelson

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home