Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith Praises Bobby's Book!
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 1, 2012 18:02

Naturalust
memphiscats
Naturalust
Hey Cousin C if you become a member of Amazon and sign in they give you a few more pages I think. peace
I'm a member but I tell you, it wasn't easy to get in - it was almost as hard as getting into IORR but well worth it. smoking smiley
Glad you are happily on board MCats! Plenty of time for disenchantment to creep in...lol peace
Thanks! Naturalust - Ah - it's good to be here...it's good to be anywhere (sorry I just had to say it once) drinking smiley

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 1, 2012 20:05

Yeah, I know I'm a slow studygrinning smiley - but I just noticed that Keith is a 'contributor' to this book!smoking smiley

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: March 1, 2012 21:45

Bought the book. Almost finished with it. It's a good read. Definitely has Bobby's voice. A few small errors - nothing major. Wish it was longer.
Well worth the money and the time.
-Reagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 22:09 by Reagan.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: March 1, 2012 22:13

I like the story of the S&H greenstamps and Buddy Holly. Bobby is a great storyteller. I remember those olden times so vividly. The way he talks just takes you back

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-01 22:51 by tumbled.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 4, 2012 17:29

Bobby Keys share little in autobiography
BY ROD LOCKWOOD

"...Keys's unwilling to delve deeply into almost any topic. Much as Ronnie Wood and Richards in their bios maddeningly sum up decades of drug abuse in flippant and often dismissive tones, Keys takes the same approach.
In a short foreword, Richards describes Keys as his "most treasured friend," so you can expect a few tales of debauchery featuring various members of the Rolling Stones, and Keys delivers.
But somewhere underlying all that heroin use, heavy drinking and drug gluttony there has to be some kind of emotional baggage, right?
If there is, Keys isn't sharing. Here's how he describes the band's notoriously decadent 1972 tour when everything revolved around music, touring, women and drugs. "I can't really think of any downside to that at all, other than I got to be pretty handy with a syringe, which would later on prove to be my downfall somewhat."
Co-writer Bill Ditenhafer should have pushed Keys to open up more, because the heroin addiction eventually became debilitating, and these kinds of lapses make "Every Night's a Saturday Night" a generally frustrating read..."
[www.goerie.com]

But at least he doesn't delve into someone else's dirty laundry - it is a big plus compared to Richards' book

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: March 4, 2012 17:48

I'm 1/2 way through- just finished the 72 tour portion.
I thought it was a little odd there has been no mention of heroin save the syringe comment when summarizing the 72 tour.

That being said - I really enjoyed his take on Keith during the Nellcote period...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-04 19:40 by theanchorman.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 8, 2012 19:10

I'm reading it. I didn't know until this book that Bobby lived with Mick in London for about a month. Since Mick was between girlfriends it was just Mick, Bobby and a housekeeper in Mick's house. Bobby loved it.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: March 8, 2012 19:11

just got it delivered in the post. Can't wait to read it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 11, 2012 21:04

Nice book, nice read. But, I think it could have been a bit more detailed. Basically everything that's being told we already know one way or another. It seems his memories of the day is mostly made up of things he has read in the various books about the subject. Quite telling is his remark about a stay in a house that 'lasted more than a wek, but less than a year'. That quite sums up his memories.

New to me was the reason why he quit the '73 tour. We have always thought it was because he had filled a bathtub with champagne and drank it all. That thus had happened on the 70 or 71 tour. He left the '73 tour in Rotterdam as he couldn't handle his addiction anymore, and just was drained an exhausted. What suprised me about this event is that to this day, during all those tours, Jagger basically hasn't spoken a word with Keys anymore. And finally we get a detailed description of how CYHMK completely failed on the '71 tour.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 11, 2012 21:18

Mathijs

New to me was the reason why he quit the '73 tour. We have always thought it was because he had filled a bathtub with champagne and drank it all. That thus had happened on the 70 or 71 tour. He left the '73 tour in Rotterdam as he couldn't handle his addiction anymore, and just was drained an exhausted.

Mathijs

It's been known for decades by many amongst us Keys quit the '73 tour cause he was drugged out.
If I remember it well Tony S (?), and others (even yourself in the past) mentioned it already..

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: March 11, 2012 22:38

I am really interested in Bobby's book... if he tells all, which knowing Bobby, he probably will, it will be very interesting.. If he mentions any of the experiences I have had with him, it will be even more amazing!!
I wonder what he will reveal about the European tour in 1970:-)

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: March 11, 2012 23:30

Has anyone had a chance to read it yet ? If so, what did ya think ?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 12, 2012 00:03

I'm more than half through it and am really enjoying it. I'm learning new stories, and even with stories I knew, Bobby's take provides new details I didn't know.

Once nice comment of Bobby's is this line about Ian Stewart (p. 173): "I know how well loved he was by Keith and Charlie and Mick and Bill. Of all the bitching they'd do about each other, I never heard anybody bitch about Stew. Ever."

Date: March 12, 2012 00:38

Amsterdamned
Mathijs

New to me was the reason why he quit the '73 tour. We have always thought it was because he had filled a bathtub with champagne and drank it all. That thus had happened on the 70 or 71 tour. He left the '73 tour in Rotterdam as he couldn't handle his addiction anymore, and just was drained an exhausted.

Mathijs

It's been known for decades by many amongst us Keys quit the '73 tour cause he was drugged out.
If I remember it well Tony S (?), and others (even yourself in the past) mentioned it already..

Of course you knew that, because you have very special sources.

But the general knowledge was that he was sacked from the tour because he missed the first or second Rotterdam show as he had drunk a bath tub of champagne. It was believed this was the last of a row of incidents, and that Jagger fired him. apperently the story is not true.

I don't remember ever mentioning anything else before. There have been discussions about Nicky Hopkins, and whether he actually did play on the first couple of shows and then left because of being drugged out or due to bad health. In the end he was never on the 73 tour at all.

Mathijs

Date: March 12, 2012 01:07

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

But the general knowledge was that he was sacked from the tour because he missed the first or second Rotterdam show as he had drunk a bath tub of champagne. It was believed this was the last of a row of incidents, and that Jagger fired him. apperently the story is not true.

I don't remember ever mentioning anything else before. There have been discussions about Nicky Hopkins, and whether he actually did play on the first couple of shows and then left because of being drugged out or due to bad health. In the end he was never on the 73 tour at all.

Mathijs

Many people know, I'am not the only one.
You mentioned it yourself on 7 january 2011 already -I don't feel like posting the link, so your statement "We have always thought it was because he had filled a bathtub with champagne and drank it all" sounds a bit odd to me.

Drugs were the real problem, it's been known for decades. I think some of the Stones drank too much alcohol- but that would never be the big deal imo.

Date: March 12, 2012 09:16

Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

You mentioned it yourself on 7 january 2011 already -I don't feel like posting the link, so your statement "We have always thought it was because he had filled a bathtub with champagne and drank it all" sounds a bit odd to me.

Drugs were the real problem, it's been known for decades. I think some of the Stones drank too much alcohol- but that would never be the big deal imo.

It always amazes me how you can be so sure of yourself. Now basically tell me I know something that I didn't know I knew...

Anyways, I say the same thing as I said a year ago, and have thought for the last 20 years as we all did, including dozens of books. Your reference from 7 January 2011 :

[www.iorr.org]
Mathijs

Bobby was kicked out of the '73 tour because he was too deep into heroin, and the champaign bad in Rotterdam was the limit for Jagger. He was supposed to play several shows on the '75 tour, but had obligations with (if I remember correctly) Joe Cocker.

Mathijs

So the only (partially) correct fact in my statement from 2011 is that he was too deep into heroin. Wrong is that he wasn't sacked by Jagger but he left himself, and that the bathtub and champagne incident happened 2 or 3 years earlier.

Receptive reading is an acquired skill I guess.

Mathijs

Date: March 12, 2012 11:06

Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

It always amazes me how you can be so sure of yourself. Now basically tell me I know something that I didn't know I knew...

Anyways, I say the same thing as I said a year ago, and have thought for the last 20 years as we all did, including dozens of books. Your reference from 7 January 2011 :

[www.iorr.org]
Mathijs

Bobby was kicked out of the '73 tour because he was too deep into heroin, and the champaign bad in Rotterdam was the limit for Jagger. He was supposed to play several shows on the '75 tour, but had obligations with (if I remember correctly) Joe Cocker.

Mathijs

So the only (partially) correct fact in my statement from 2011 is that he was too deep into heroin. Wrong is that he wasn't sacked by Jagger but he left himself, and that the bathtub and champagne incident happened 2 or 3 years earlier.

Receptive reading is an acquired skill I guess.

Mathijs

New to me was the reason why he quit the '73 tour. We have always thought it was because he had filled a bathtub with champagne and drank it all. That thus had happened on the 70 or 71 tour. He left the '73 tour in Rotterdam as he couldn't handle his addiction anymore, and just was drained an exhausted. <Mathijs>

Yes, now we all know the reason why he left the tour. I might as well talk to a
computer -no need to reply, enjoy your day.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 12, 2012 14:26

I would think Keith would like it, since he wrote the forward to the book. cool smiley

It stops at page 16 for me too, with two pages missing, and then a lot of material at the end. I'm not a member though or maybe they changed what's available...

I'm reading the hard copy now.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: March 12, 2012 18:24

Amsterdamned

Yes, now we all know the reason why he left the tour. I might as well talk to a
computer -no need to reply, enjoy your day.

Maybe this is a good start for you.

Mathijs

Date: March 12, 2012 20:41

Bobby said they were staying in a hotel because they couldn't get passage due to snow I guess. and there was alovely french girl who no speak english at the bar and bobby bought her a glass of dom perignon and then she came up to his room to listen to music and he TRIED to fill the bathtub but the chateau was running out of champagne and it was costing a lot so he only got about 2-3 inches of champagne into the tub. that wasn't why he quit the tour lol. REad THE BOOK before starting fights !!

the story about his mother coming to Paris is so hilarious

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-12 20:43 by tumbled.

Date: March 12, 2012 20:44

Keith paid for him to go to Harrow House to clean up and then he had to move away from England because there was too much dope there then and so he and his wife moved back to California.

Date: March 12, 2012 21:04

tumbled
REad THE BOOK before starting fights !!

Read the posts in this thread before stating this.

Mathijs

Date: March 12, 2012 23:40

delete

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1551
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home