Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Going to New York on holiday for 1st time: suggestions please!
Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 22, 2012 07:33

Lots of things to see, but if you're up to a late night, I suggest bar hopping in Manhattan on a Saturday night until the sun comes up or you can't take any more, whichever comes 1st.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2012 07:39

....check-out Rupert's store ... ya might even end on LettermanShow....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 22, 2012 07:49

Stay away from the Hotel Pennsylvania, across from the Garden. Lord, what a dump.

Enjoy the record stores of Greenwich Village.

Forget about trying to catch any of the Ya-Yas vibe in the Garden. The place has been fully renovated twice since '69 and has barely any of the old ambiance.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 22, 2012 09:56

Naturalust
71Tele
71Tele
StonesTod
GravityBoy
My advice is do everything you can to stay alive.

right...per my post above

Your image of the safety of NY is about 30 years out of date.

It's gotten that good. Greatest city in the world.

New York is plenty safe unless you start acting stupid and wander alone at night in the wrong neighborhoods. Stay away from the housing projects and you'll be fine.

Tele hate to break it to ya but San Francisco beats NYC for the greatest City honor hands down. I mean you can actually hang in SF for more than a week without feeling like you need to get the hell out of there for a while. The smells from that place on a hot summer day ....well you probably know.

That's why most of the NYC residents in the know all have other houses upstate or in CT, Maine or even Florida. NYC is a GREAT city for entertainment and culture ....in small doses. peace

Why argue? I love San Francisco too. But the fact that it produced all that awful hippie music means NY still has the edge to me. Maybe SF has better restaurants.

Date: February 22, 2012 10:01

Whatever you do, don't bother going to Times Square. There's nothing there but stupid tourists gaping up at things that can be seen in any large mall in the U.S. Go to neighborhoods to get local flavor: I like the West Village, Upper West Side (stop by The Dakota and say hi to Yoko, the Beacon Theatre where Shine A Light was filmed), Chinatown, a nice long walk in Central Park if the weather's good. Get downtown and go to some of the original Jewish delis. Find a real "candy store" with soda fountain in Brooklyn and order an egg cream. Go to Astoria Queens and see the mosaic of ethnicities living there. A play on Broadway is still a bargain for what you get: Top-notch actors performing live in real theaters. So much to do!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 22, 2012 10:05

You can take a tour of MSG. Pretty good. You get to see it when it's empty, dressing rooms--if you like that kind of stuff.

Date: February 22, 2012 10:08

71Tele
Naturalust
71Tele
71Tele
StonesTod
GravityBoy
My advice is do everything you can to stay alive.

right...per my post above

Your image of the safety of NY is about 30 years out of date.

It's gotten that good. Greatest city in the world.

New York is plenty safe unless you start acting stupid and wander alone at night in the wrong neighborhoods. Stay away from the housing projects and you'll be fine.

Tele hate to break it to ya but San Francisco beats NYC for the greatest City honor hands down. I mean you can actually hang in SF for more than a week without feeling like you need to get the hell out of there for a while. The smells from that place on a hot summer day ....well you probably know.

That's why most of the NYC residents in the know all have other houses upstate or in CT, Maine or even Florida. NYC is a GREAT city for entertainment and culture ....in small doses. peace

Why argue? I love San Francisco too. But the fact that it produced all that awful hippie music means NY still has the edge to me. Maybe SF has better restaurants.

No, NYC has better restaurants (and I live in SF). However, Times Square all lit up at night is really something.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 22, 2012 19:31

guyrachel
Although many things to see are there any must see Rolling Stones places etc, as I know New York is a very Stones city ?

Thank you!
Also, you might want to wander around the outside of the Plaza (hotel) - on Central Park. This is where Keith used to hole-up & run next store to FAO Schwartz to get his toy nurses' kits for his syringes...

Posted by: LillithFlair ()
Date: February 22, 2012 19:55

You're coming to my home city, enjoy. It's perfectly safe here as someone said just don't be stupid but that applies to being safe anywhere. And I've been to Paris many times, we are MUCH nicer here but don't block the damn sidewalk! winking smiley

Visit the East Village where Keith lived for many years, go eat at Katz's Deli (of When Harry Met Sally fame), the Big Gay Ice Cream shop on East 7th, and if you like Eastern European food, Veselka on 9th Street and 2nd Ave is great. Central Park, the Zoo is very nice, Strawberry Fields of course, the Carousel, Bethesda Fountain. Midtown go to Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral. PLEASE visit MOMA it's anamazing museum and not soo huge that you'll get lost there. Check out the Time Out NY website they always have postings on what's going on and what events may be free and cheap as well. I could go on but I'll refrain from overwhelming you!

ETA: And yes visit Astoria, we are the new IN neighborhood, tons of great restaurants, the Museum of the Moving Image is popular as well and only 10 minute subway ride out of Manhattan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 19:59 by LillithFlair.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: February 22, 2012 20:44

Bring lots of cash and a gun, LoL

Posted by: LillithFlair ()
Date: February 22, 2012 21:20

Hee. From the look of this thread everyone has seen too many of the Death Wish movies!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 22, 2012 21:36

The Death Wish days are gone. Thanks Giuliani, Bratton & NYPD. Times Square and 42nd Street do not look anything like the Taxi Driver days. Thanks Michael Eisner for putting Disney over the sleaze.

Look on the internet for a 'mob' tour of New York. Sparks Steak House on 46th Street is where John Gotti's crew rubbed out Big Paulie Castellano and his driver thereby taking over the Gambino Crime Family.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 22, 2012 22:46

ab
Stay away from the Hotel Pennsylvania, across from the Garden. Lord, what a dump.

Enjoy the record stores of Greenwich Village.

Forget about trying to catch any of the Ya-Yas vibe in the Garden. The place has been fully renovated twice since '69 and has barely any of the old ambiance.
By mistake a while back l stayed at the Pennsylvania,worst hotel ever,had to change rooms 3 times. Rooms filthy,horrible service,had to leave after 2 days.Never again.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: February 22, 2012 23:01

I recently stayed at the Excelsior on the upper West Side. Nice hotel and lots of great restaurants nearby. It's not far from the Dakota.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: February 23, 2012 00:08

Go to the observation deck at the Empire State Building and have a look around the city.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: February 23, 2012 01:01

TippyToe
Go to the observation deck at the Empire State Building and have a look around the city.

That's what I did in 1985 NYC is pretty awesome in size
It was surreal.

Date: February 23, 2012 02:03

You can take a tour of MSG. It was pretty good (if you like that sort of thing).

Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 04:20

do ya homework on where you are going and don't stare at a map in the middle of the footpath or you will be taken out. love new york city is an awesome place and lots of things to do that will cover all interests. but the highlight would be two stones shows on the b to b tour.

do lots of walking and soak up the atmosphere.

parisians way ruder than new yorkers

enjoy your holiday

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: February 23, 2012 15:03

ed

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 09:10 by SecondSet.

Date: February 23, 2012 15:07

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 09:10 by SecondSet.

Date: February 23, 2012 15:12

ed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 09:11 by SecondSet.

Date: February 23, 2012 15:17

ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-26 09:11 by SecondSet.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 23, 2012 16:13

stay in the east village

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 25, 2012 21:27

Naturalust

Hi Naturalust !

Although I am neither from NYC,nor from San Francisco ,I just wanted to say that even if I enjoyed visiting both cities ,I must say that no place like NYC blew me away the way it did .smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 25, 2012 22:31

SwayStones
Naturalust

Hi Naturalust !

Although I am neither from NYC,nor from San Francisco ,I just wanted to say that even if I enjoyed visiting both cities ,I must say that no place like NYC blew me away the way it did .smiling smiley

Hi Sway! I'd be a fool to argue with you! Glad you had fun, both cities are indeed that. But, maybe you just didn't have the right tour guide for San Francisco? peace

Date: February 25, 2012 22:31

Enjoy the city and don't get put off by comments from people whose image of it seems to have been formed by 1970s movies. Also, don't mistake New Yorkers' bluntness for rudeness. New Yorkers are some of the kindest people in the world. It just comes across a little differently than in other places.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 25, 2012 22:56

Central Park

Staten Island Ferry

Battery Park

Brooklyn Bridge

Roosevelt Island Tramway

Date: February 26, 2012 02:23

71Tele
Enjoy the city and don't get put off by comments from people whose image of it seems to have been formed by 1970s movies. Also, don't mistake New Yorkers' bluntness for rudeness. New Yorkers are some of the kindest people in the world. It just comes across a little differently than in other places.

That's a really good point Tele. You soon learn the more blunt and sassy they are toward you the better they like you! It is easily mistaken for rudeness by inexperienced people from the west coast and prim and proper British folks. You have to go to France if you want to experience true rudeness toward Americans lol (sorry SwayStones you're an exceptional exception). peace

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 27, 2012 21:33

Naturalust
You have to go to France if you want to experience true rudeness toward Americans lol (sorry SwayStones you're an exceptional exception). peace

This is easily the biggest stereotype about the French, and the most inaccurate ,coming from you , Naturalust :-(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-27 22:11 by SwayStones.

Date: February 27, 2012 22:28

Your right Sway, I apologize. I have never been to France just heard the stories so it was total heresay. My experience with the French is limited to the north shore of Maui, obviously a different thing altogether. Should have kept quiet on that one. Sorry.

Keith mentions some stuff about French cab drivers in his book. Was he talking BS too? peace

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home