Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Can Keith still play?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 15, 2012 21:59

Ouch! Think he forgot to tune the black Gibson before recording this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 22:01 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: February 15, 2012 22:40

But, given the evidence of the past 5 years, it doesn't mean he can be the driving force. And, sadly, I think that's the default position now, that Keith needs to prove himself again. Maybe he can....but I think it involves him laying off of the solos and leads.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 15, 2012 22:43

The head injury and susequent meds showed a definite slow down. One of the last shows befroe his accident was Saitama and there wasn't much sign of the fingers causing him great problems,in fact it was one of his best performances in recent years IMO.

Just had Hampton on in the car. Now that was Keith's night ! Rock n Roll Guitar masterclass !

sc uk

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 15, 2012 23:04

Easy Question to Answer: Yes

Proof: The jam sessions early last December.

Before anyone starts mentioning that there haven't been any recordings leaked that prove he can play, I'll tell you that they aren't needed. What HAS been reported out of those jams is very telling if you listen closely...

Using some deductive logic from what has been reported:

A) Bill Wyman, Ronnie Wood & Charlie Watts were all there for three days. Is there anyone on this board that believes that Bill would have come back on days 2 & 3 if Keith couldn't play? Maybe Ronnie & Charlie would have stuck around with old buddy Keith, but Bill? I don't think so.

cool smiley Mick showed up and jammed on day 3. Again, does anyone on the board believe that Mick would have shown up if Keith couldn't play? Does anyone believe that Mick wasn't briefed by someone on the results of days 1 & 2 BEFORE he showed up for Day 3? 99% of our super-sleuths here at IORR seem to think that Mick doesn't want to be in the same room as Keith unless he has to. Mick didn't have to show up for this jam. He showed up because he wanted to. Who believes that Mick would have wanted to show up if he had been told Keith couldn't play?

I'm not Sherlock Holmes & I have no actual information short of what some "in the know" people here have posted regarding the jam actually taking place. Using deductive reasoning helped me come to the conclusion that, although Charlie & Ronnie may have hung out with their buddy Keith, I think it's a stretch of the imagination to think some sense of loyalty would make Bill want to spend extra time or Mick show up at all to play with a guitarist who can't play.

Conclusion: Keith can still play well enough to interest Mick Jagger & Bill Wyman and that's good enough for me!

Defense yields the floor to the "nay sayers"!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 15, 2012 23:29

We will see on the Hubert Sumlin show.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 16, 2012 01:48

Of course he can still play. Sheesh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-16 01:49 by tatters.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 16, 2012 01:52

Meatwad's got a guitar just like that. Plays the shit out of it too. Check it out!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 16, 2012 02:02

KRiffhard
I don't know ...but watching this video he doesn't seem in good shape.

Nor should he be expected to be. Its a video of a guy who hasn't played much jamming with a run of the mill bar band.

Its not exactly a barometer of what he's going to be like on a proper concert stage after 5-6 weeks of rehearsal.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 16, 2012 02:59

The kid's got talent! Sign him up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-16 03:01 by ChrisM.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 16, 2012 03:37

@mr_dja... I haven't heard a THING about those jam sessions. If they went well, someone would've said something. If they didn't go well, everyone would just lay low. Thats my deductive logic. So far we have heard absolutely nothing, except that it happened. Doesn't sound too promising.

I really can't wait for the Sumlin gig.

Tatters, that made my day.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: February 16, 2012 04:42

I had never thought of myself as a "nay sayer", per se, when it comes to Keith's playing, seeing as I think he was still kicking ass in '05/06 as only Keith could.

That said, I suppose, for the sake of this specific discussion, I am a nay sayer so to speak.

If he returns to "pre-op" levels of dexterity, I will be beyond thrilled. But, I have heard absolutely nothing over the past 5 years to think that will be the case. The "jam" in December is a Rorschach test of sorts; if you think Keith is going to make a tremendous comeback and wow everyone with his playing, you probably think the December "jam" was a complete success, but if you think he hasn't exhibited any signs of improvement over the last 5 years, you probably think the December "jam" was nothing more than Mick, Charlie and Ronnie seeing what measures need to be taken to carry Keith's ass for the entirety of another tour, no matter how brief it may be.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 16, 2012 14:46

flacnvinyl
@mr_dja... I haven't heard a THING about those jam sessions. If they went well, someone would've said something. If they didn't go well, everyone would just lay low. Thats my deductive logic. So far we have heard absolutely nothing, except that it happened. Doesn't sound too promising.

Not quite. There's no precedent for that. And it WAS done in secret. They havent even announced who was present or even that it took place. What do people expect - a press release along the lines of "we jammed and it went well?" Do other bands post such minutiae? Doubt it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 16, 2012 16:55

Gazza
What do people expect - a press release along the lines of "we jammed and it went well?" Do other bands post such minutiae? Doubt it.

jam bands do it every night. hello?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 16, 2012 18:29

As I just wrote elsewhere:

Blondie will cover for him from behind the amps

Date: February 16, 2012 18:30

The GR
As I just wrote elsewhere:

Blondie will cover for him from behind the amps

again?? blondie needs to get over his acute shyness already....

Date: February 16, 2012 18:34

I'm sure Blondie will replace Keith so the remaining members can carry on for longer. Then Bernard will replace Mick.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 16, 2012 18:42

Never heard Blondie play. I've SEEN him many time with The Stones with his guitar strapped on. Never heard him once. Never live, never on a bootleg. Is he even audible at all?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-16 18:42 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 16, 2012 18:45

Gazza
flacnvinyl

Not quite. There's no precedent for that. And it WAS done in secret. They havent even announced who was present or even that it took place. What do people expect - a press release along the lines of "we jammed and it went well?" Do other bands post such minutiae? Doubt it.
They should have invited some rock critics to judge their 3 day jam. Then we could have known. I'll write that to Keith on Facebook or Twitter ;o)

Date: February 16, 2012 18:56

Blondie sits behind the amps when he plays guitar, you only hear him and never see him.

Date: February 16, 2012 18:58

If one wants to go strictly on the last tour and all the releases from it one could say 'pretty good...sometimes', 'pedestrian at best', 'not really', 'not very well' and 'quite poorly'.

Given the amount of rest (not playing) and hopefully the healing of his head injury/surgery/medication to get to some new even keel - who the hell knows.

Does it matter anymore? That's what I don't get. If he can't, so what. What is there to prove? The age? It's gotta stop at some point. They've DONE it!

Date: February 16, 2012 19:03

More Hot Rocks
Never heard Blondie play. I've SEEN him many time with The Stones with his guitar strapped on. Never heard him once. Never live, never on a bootleg. Is he even audible at all?

you know that stuff you think is coming from keith's guitar? yeah...that's what we're talking about....

Date: February 16, 2012 19:04

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks

you know that stuff you think is coming from keith's guitar? yeah...that's what we're talking about....

Like on Under My Thumb from The Biggest Bang!!?? That's amazing! Keith must have invisible arms!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 16, 2012 20:11

Erik_Snow
Ouch! Think he forgot to tune the black Gibson before recording this...
That never stopped Keith baby!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 16, 2012 20:22

I love Keith and my heart and prayers go out to him especially with the head injury but his guitar skills declined long before that and there is the ego thing. Listen to the SFTD solo which is so clumsy. Now imagine a sober Ronnie doing the solo and Keith playing the rhythm?

The Stones would sound great and do so on other songs when the guitar section accepts this arrangement.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 16, 2012 20:28

Gazza
flacnvinyl

With Twitter, many people post all kind of minutiae.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 16, 2012 20:41

In SAL film he played some nice rythm stuff, but soloing is getting worse and poorer everytime. Maybe he thinks he is like BB King, and wants to play few notes licks with the BB's feeling and groove. But it is not succesful in his fingers as you might see and hear

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 16, 2012 21:31

ChrisM

Love this guy - he's great!

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 16, 2012 21:43

"Can Keith still play?"
Of course he can...

As well as he did in the studio on SFTD?
Of course not...

Do we still want to go and see/hear him play live??
HELL YEAH !!!!!!!!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 16, 2012 23:16

Shawn20
ChrisM

Love this guy - he's great!

I want this man behind the amps!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 16, 2012 23:39

I doubt that he can still play after the long break he took, you cannot take such a long break at his age after suffering a stroke and come back.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home