Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Dance Little Sister - unexplainable greatness
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 15, 2012 08:12

I put this favorite track on repeat a couple times in the car today...if someone were to ask me why this song kicks ass--I would have no idea how to explain it. The song is pure chemistry, plain and simple. It is such a ridiculously easy song...hardly any changes...one little bridge. Not exactly a masterpeice in songwriting, so to speak.

Is anyone else hypnotized by that intro? It's just Keith and Charlie going at it but man...once you hear it: you are stuck for the next 4 minutes.

Re: Dance Little Sister - unexplainable greatness
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 15, 2012 08:25

It's not ridiculously easy if you're trying to play Taylor's part. And that's my only complaint with this song, you have to strain to hear Taylor through most of the song (although they do turn him up at times, like the solo) and he's playing so awesomely. It seems a shame for such brilliant guitar work to be pushed so far back in the mix. But at the same time it would possibly overpower the song.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 15, 2012 08:29

It has grown since 1973...(it was just a filler then)

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 15, 2012 08:34

um, it's ok. Very average for a Stones track.

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: February 15, 2012 09:46

I love it, too!
just 2 chords but what a great work from the whole band! one of rhythmic section finest hour ... so simple but what a groove, guys!!!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 15, 2012 09:49

The so simple KR's parts are not so simple, it has a unique groove, very difficult not to get lost if you try to play it. The main thing on this songo are Cahrlie and KR, not MT

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 15, 2012 10:01

Justin
I put this favorite track on repeat a couple times in the car today...if someone were to ask me why this song kicks ass--I would have no idea how to explain it. The song is pure chemistry, plain and simple. It is such a ridiculously easy song...hardly any changes...one little bridge. Not exactly a masterpeice in songwriting, so to speak.

Is anyone else hypnotized by that intro? It's just Keith and Charlie going at it but man...once you hear it: you are stuck for the next 4 minutes.

Great song! Many of the greatest rock songs of all time are very simple. Rock and roll doesn't require complex and / or difficult chord changes and such. Remember that rock descended in large part from blues - very simple music. It doesn't have to be complex or difficult to play to be great. That's not what it's about. It's about passion, groove, and energy. DLS is a great example. Many of the Stone's great songs are very simple from a musician's standpoint. Three chords plus energy plus passion equals great rock and roll in more songs than you could list. The thing is - you could put together some moderately skilled musicians and teach them to play DLS in a matter of minutes but they would play it and it probably wouldn't move you. The trick is the Stones ability to put FEELING into simple and basic music. It truly is chemistry between players - Factor "X."

Date: February 15, 2012 10:12

IORR is a great album!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 15, 2012 10:16

Keiths guitar sounds great, and he's all round the beat, pushing.

The "jump out of Africa.." break is great.

IORR is a great album, I don't get why people have a downer on it. When I was at school I lent it to some of my friends who were not bothered about the Stones and they thought it was great, "superb" is the word I remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 10:18 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 15, 2012 10:48

Yes! I have often written how IORR is a fantastic album. DL is a wonderfully propulsive rocker with deep groove. Love it as well!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 15, 2012 11:02

Justin

I got hooked the first time I heard it. How the hell does he do it. One of Keiths best riffs and one that truly belongs to Keith and that comes from the style he developed under the influence of others (yeah the Ry cooder thing) but now its pure Keith. This is Keith doing what only he can do and he does it so well. A simple song, two chords (the important part), played like some goldminer with a 12-Karat gently hacking it into a 24-Karat piece. This riff is one of the most underrated in the history of rock music. Listen to just Keiths guitar, with the drums and bass. Brilliant.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 15, 2012 11:10

Mick sings great, i like that style but this is the only time I wish Taylor would stfu on a song. Only time. The solo is not bad but this style, only slower, is what makes Hot Stuff great. The solo is phoned in and I guess that Taylor found it easier to play without Keith in the studio that year.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2012 11:17

This outtake does the trick. The best studo "ancient art of weaving" ever imo.
What a band they were...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 15, 2012 11:20

partnerincrime
I love it, too!
just 2 chords but what a great work from the whole band! one of rhythmic section finest hour ... so simple but what a groove, guys!!!

You're not counting the bridge! Way more than two chords.

Date: February 15, 2012 11:48

Hi tele71
the bridge is simple, too, not difficult but a little tricky!
and what a gas when You got it right playin' withy my band!
I think keef's sense of rhythmn really shines on this song, very percussive.

Date: February 15, 2012 12:15

Come On
It has grown since 1973...(it was just a filler then)

Before it was released? winking smiley

Date: February 15, 2012 12:16

Amsterdamned
What a band they were...

It's lead and rhythm, not weaving (and you know it) winking smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 15, 2012 12:22

Amsterdamned
What a band they were...

i love the way Taylor sounds here - stinging best!!!!
yes a bit repetitive but very rocky with both Micks on fire!

Date: February 15, 2012 12:36

The song is cool, but a bit too long, imo. Some of Taylor's finest solo playing in the studio is here. Great stuff!

The El Marimba-version is very good as well.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 15, 2012 12:38

Redhotcarpet
Mick sings great, i like that style but this is the only time I wish Taylor would stfu on a song. Only time. The solo is not bad but this style, only slower, is what makes Hot Stuff great. The solo is phoned in and I guess that Taylor found it easier to play without Keith in the studio that year.

This is a good point. I have always felt that there is something wrong with the song. That of being 'too simple' or 'leading nowhere' is not good enough. I think you have given the right direction from where to find the reason. Keith and Tauylor's chemistry does not work any longer - that idea of the band and of its typical sound sounds tired. Keith sound more than ever just "keeping that rhythm down" and driving the band into groove, while Taylor is altogeher flying in a different universum, just icing the cake with his typical solo templates. They are even mixed so clearly seperated from each other. This worked earlier fine but now it is just don't. Sounds forced and artificial.

It is true that what Keith does is the typical riffing style he mastered during the early seventies. But at the same it sounds a bit boring: it sounds like they have cooked Keith's riffs as good as they ever can in their earlier work, and the old receipt stars to get dated now. The point about "Hot Stuff" is spot on. Probably a solo liek that - slower, more groovie, than the fluidy one offered here by Taylor, could be better choice and serve this song better. But over-all, the way the simple riff templete - here is just a skeleton - was worked in later, especially in SOME GIRLS, with Woodie's assistent, gave a new sound for The Stones. They changed the attitude how to make songs out of riffs, or how to 'cook' riffs, during Pathe Marconi sessions. "Dance Little Sister" sounds exactly like that the road to walk with Taylor has been walked through, and now hitted the end. Listen, for example, the way the bridge is finished guitarwise - that's kind of stuff Keith and Ronnie would later work further harder and more efficiently in "Shattered" and "When The Whip Comes Down" with two guitars.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 12:51 by Doxa.

Date: February 15, 2012 12:43

DandelionPowderman
The song is cool, but a bit too long, imo. Some of Taylor's finest solo playing in the studio is here. Great stuff!

Yeah, Taylor's guitar playing is beautiful in its own terms but like I argued above I am not sure that it serves the song very well this time. The Mocambo version gives a hint that probably Wood's attitude might work better. But one can only imagine how the song would have sounded in 1978 if approached by the two-guitar - or even three - attack.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 12:44 by Doxa.

Date: February 15, 2012 12:51

Hi Doxa
good point referring taylor's solo but I cannot agree about keith's riffing: listen close to the incredible work he does strumming, never a line repeated twice, with a wonderful timing. and I don't think it would have sounded better in 1978: I guess it would have sounded different and please, without jagger noisy guitar!

Date: February 15, 2012 13:08

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, Taylor's guitar playing is beautiful in its own terms but like I argued above I am not sure that it serves the song very well this time. The Mocambo version gives a hint that probably Wood's attitude might work better. But one can only imagine how the song would have sounded in 1978 if approached by the two-guitar - or even three - attack.

- Doxa

I agree on the verses (the country-ish licks, but in the bridge, Taylor's playing is stellar and suits the song brilliantly, imo. + the solo is a shining piece of excellent guitar work.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 15, 2012 13:14

A wonderfull groove, totally driven by Charlies drumming IMO. Play it LOUD!

Date: February 15, 2012 13:21

partnerincrime
Hi Doxa
good point referring taylor's solo but I cannot agree about keith's riffing: listen close to the incredible work he does strumming, never a line repeated twice, with a wonderful timing. and I don't think it would have sounded better in 1978: I guess it would have sounded different and please, without jagger noisy guitar!

Actually I wasn't trying to critizise Keith's riffing. It is what makes that song worth listening - he really shows why he is a master, and like you said, never a line repeated. That could be shown in a school class as an exmaple what playing a rock and roll guitar is all about. But I think the package in which Keith's guitar is served is the problem here. Yeah, Charlie is so good as he always is - the groove is there, and Jagger is doing okay with his limited words. I find Taylor's role the weak link here - or the way the guitars commuinicate (well, they don't communicate nearly at all). What worked majestically in some gigs, especially in 1973 tour, does not happen here. And they haven't probably never tried to transform the five-piece live sound to studio so as straight-forwadly as they do here. To my ears Taylor really does not sound inspired - he does his thing a bit autopilotwise, like a hired studio musician - he doesn't really uplift the song, or the sound of the band, to a new sphere. To my ears "Dance Little Sister" lacks the typical unique atmosphere the best Stones songs have. It is not better than its parts, but - like many cuts in IT'S ONLY ROCK'NROLL - lesser than its parts. The old receipt just don't work anymore. I don't know if the reason is Taylor's own disinterest, or that the others couldn't get more out of him.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-15 13:25 by Doxa.

Date: February 15, 2012 14:04

71Tele
partnerincrime
I love it, too!

You're not counting the bridge! Way more than two chords.

Well...three.

Date: February 15, 2012 14:05

Perfect timing, excellent groove............ KR is a metronome in this tune, i insist in how easy is to play out of time that simple A chord again and again and ruin the whole song. It is a master lesson in rythm guitar

Date: February 15, 2012 14:06

Surely Malcolm Young learnt something from this tune

Date: February 15, 2012 14:17

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
What a band they were...

DP, actually I got agree with Amsterdamned. The whole opening verses has Taylor weaving at it's finest, LOl. He's not solo-ing yet, and is countering Keith's chopping very well. In a way he does what Brian used to do when they did the dual guitar thing, where his right hand is not hitting hard, but rhythmically picking single or two-noters, slinking in and out of Keith's hits. This dexription sounds lame, but can't think of another way. On "19th Nervous Breakdown" or on "Around and Around" Brian weaves around it. The word 'weaving' fits well here.
But that is what Taylor does in the first minutes here IMO.
I find that Taylor's rhythm playing doesn't get much credit. It is way understated, but it usually complements the song perfectly. Keith's playing is always very rhythmic and choppy, so playi9ng smooth and straight fits well.
Ron has much of Keith's sharp style so we get the 78 sound; very trebly and midrange-y. It's matter of opinion and taste, but there is much to be said for someone laying a solid rhythm down. Take "Bye Bye Johnny" in 72. When Keith takes off Taylor stays very solid underneath on the low strings. It makes the song roll.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2012 14:25

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
What a band they were...

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home