Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Dirty Work - Masterpiece by Accident?
Date: February 15, 2012 13:06

Come on guys...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 15, 2012 13:08

DandelionPowderman
Come on guys...

You're right, Im done. cool smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 15, 2012 14:12

What was excatly Steve Lillywhite's role in the production of this piece of art?? Was he guilty about Chuck's black hand???
In some songs it seems as he wanted the RS to sound like Simple Minds

Date: February 15, 2012 15:15

I read he was guilty of the horrendous drum sound...

Date: February 15, 2012 15:25

I don't like "Voodoo Lounge" too much, and I have both of these albums together at the bottom of my Stones albums.
But both of them spawned many wellkown outtakes. Outtakes which could and should have made the album much better. (IMO)
"What am I gonna do with your Love"
"Deep Love"
"Crushed Pearl"
"Strictly Memphis"
"Invitation"

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: February 15, 2012 19:39

I take your point on my use of the phrase "completely" guitar driven. I'll grant you that may be a bit of an overstatement, How about mostly guitar driven? or featuring a lot of guitars?

But does it matter? It's a blog dude, and my basic argument is that the album is a lot better than it's given credit for and it worth really thinking about - at least to me. The guitars DO play a prominent role in making it a great album; and hey,I gave people something a little different to discuss, right?

I could start a blog and write, "Exile on Main Street" is A Great Album and Here's Why!" But what would that add to what's already written in a million places? That we don't already know? Here's a Headline: "Mick Taylor Is Great!" Okay. ZZZZZ. It's more fun to take a contrary view on something and make the case for it. It makes for a fun discussion, too - and that's all I'm trying to do!

Actually, I HIGHLY recommend blogging and drinking at the same time.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 15, 2012 20:04

allmusic.com has a blog entry today about 1986. It actually was a great year for music:

XTC Skylarking
Steve Earle Guitar Town
Smiths The Queen Is Dead
New Order Brotherhood
Husker Du Candy Apple Grey
Sonic Youth EVOL
Big Black Atomizer
Prince Parade

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: February 16, 2012 03:36

Not among my personal favourites, but these albums are also 1986 highlights:
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Paul Simon - Graceland

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 16, 2012 19:57

treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas
treaclefingers
LeonidP
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
...Obviously they thought Winning Ugly would be a hit. They were ugly wrong about that.

If not for Back To Zero, Winning Ugly would qualify as the worst song that I've ever heard.

They only seemed to think Winning Ugly would be a hit in Canada, as that's the only place they actually released it as a single. They were wrong even on that count.

That's because it was used on a TV show up here about racing. When i finally picked the DW album (used on cassette), my friend and I were laughing that we were listening to the show's theme - and that it was by the Stones!
It's a $#!t song on a $#!t album.

That's wild Jamie...I'd never heard that. You don't happen to remember the name of the TV Show do you?

No, sorry I don't. Right after I typed the memory I tried to find out online to no avail. It's still driving me nuts actually, haha!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 16, 2012 23:11

Everyone loves this album.................and SOL

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: February 16, 2012 23:34

MrMonte
Hey all - I promised to keep you informed when I posted a new Stones-related piece on my blog so here it is: Dirty Work: The Stones Masterpiece by Accident!

I hardly expect everyone to agree with me! I'll be happy if anyone does, quite frankly! But...it's been something I've felt I had to write for months, if not years, and now I've finally got it out of my system. It's lengthy but hey, that'll help kill some time till the big tour announcement, right?

anyway, enjoy!

[montesnewblog.blogspot.com]

"Dirty Work" is my favourite Rolling Stones album, I never understood the hate the record attracts. Compared to other records from the '80s, it does not sound "'80s" at all*. The songs are great, the guitars sound fantastic, the performances are hard-hitting and passionate and the album rocks harder than perhaps all other records by the group. To reject the artwork based on the color of the clothes worn by the band is just silly. Btw the bright colors were added in retouching, in the original photos the clothes have different colors. Compared to the "artwork" of other records from the same period, the DW artwork looks pretty timeless. The illustrations on the inner sleeve are hilarious. The Keith songs are great. The album truly is, what it says on the cover – dirty work. And the Rolling Stones are always great when they are dirty.

My personal RS album Top 5:

"Dirty Work" (1986)
"Let It Bleed" (1969)
"Tattoo You" (1981)
"Around And Around" (German compilation, 1964)
"Out Of Our Heads" (UK version, 1965)

*you need to hear DW on original first edition vinyl pressings, all CD versions and the vinyl re-release have inferior sound

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-16 23:40 by MrEcho.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 17, 2012 06:19

MrEcho

"Dirty Work" is my favourite Rolling Stones album ...The songs are great, the guitars sound fantastic, the performances are hard-hitting and passionate and the album rocks harder than perhaps all other records by the group...

Damn, I must have gotten a bad copy, I wonder if they'll let me return mine for the same version that you have.

Date: February 17, 2012 12:07

MrEcho
MrMonte
Hey all - I promised to keep you informed when I posted a new Stones-related piece on my blog so here it is: Dirty Work: The Stones Masterpiece by Accident!

I hardly expect everyone to agree with me! I'll be happy if anyone does, quite frankly! But...it's been something I've felt I had to write for months, if not years, and now I've finally got it out of my system. It's lengthy but hey, that'll help kill some time till the big tour announcement, right?

anyway, enjoy!

"Dirty Work" is my favourite Rolling Stones album, I never understood the hate the record attracts. Compared to other records from the '80s, it does not sound "'80s" at all*. The songs are great, the guitars sound fantastic, the performances are hard-hitting and passionate and the album rocks harder than perhaps all other records by the group. To reject the artwork based on the color of the clothes worn by the band is just silly. Btw the bright colors were added in retouching, in the original photos the clothes have different colors. Compared to the "artwork" of other records from the same period, the DW artwork looks pretty timeless. The illustrations on the inner sleeve are hilarious. The Keith songs are great. The album truly is, what it says on the cover – dirty work. And the Rolling Stones are always great when they are dirty.

"Dirty Work" (1986)
"Let It Bleed" (1969)
"Tattoo You" (1981)

*you need to hear DW on original first edition vinyl pressings, all CD versions and the vinyl re-release have inferior sound

There much truth in that. I have the original first edition + 2 different cds that sound crap in comparison.

However, it isn't too big a stretch to claim that the pink suits are dated winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-17 12:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 17, 2012 12:49

They could repeat and re-record this album for the 50th aniversary.......such a silly idea
Anyway, they could made an special release with the outtakes

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: February 17, 2012 15:42

MrEcho
MrMonte

anyway, enjoy!

"Dirty Work" (1986)
"Let It Bleed" (1969)
"Tattoo You" (1981)

Thank you sir for your affirmation of the greatness of the album! We may be in the minority, but that's what personal taste is all about, right?

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: February 17, 2012 16:29

DandelionPowderman
However, it isn't too big a stretch to claim that the pink suits are dated winking smiley

Mick wore a pink suit in the first SuperHeavy video. In 2011. Pink suits never go out of style, if you know how to wear them. ;-)

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 17, 2012 16:52

MrMonte
MrEcho
MrMonte

anyway, enjoy!

"Dirty Work" (1986)
"Let It Bleed" (1969)
"Tattoo You" (1981)

Thank you sir for your affirmation of the greatness of the album! We may be in the minority, but that's what personal taste is all about, right?

Yes - those of us who like Dirty Work ARE a minority, but a proud one! Therefore, as minorities there are laws in many countries to protect us. Here in the US, I am preparing to file lawsuits against those who have disparaged me for perpetuating "hate speech." Sparks will fly! OK - Just kidding. I don't care what anyone says. I like what I like.

Date: February 17, 2012 16:53

MrEcho
DandelionPowderman

Mick wore a pink suit in the first SuperHeavy video. In 2011. Pink suits never go out of style, if you know how to wear them. ;-)

Yeah, you're right, but I'd like to see Mick wearing the same clothes he had on the DW cover today thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 17, 2012 17:52

KeithNacho
They could repeat and re-record this album for the 50th aniversary.......

That would be awesome - hopefully with all new songs & delete the original ones...

Date: February 17, 2012 18:36

It's strange but this album probably had the Stones, in whatever form, working their hardest - and longest - at making a record. Strange because their good albums the songs seemingly came easy and they didn't actually spend a lot of time working on them.

It takes a lot of effort to be bad. They must've been laughing the whole time - "Wait until CBS hears THIS!"

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: February 17, 2012 20:07

An A for effort is deserved by MrMonte. The rest is an epic reach. To call Dirty Work a "Masterpiece by Accident" album is to indulge in the most excessive, self-delusional revisionism possible. To write such balderdash just to present a "contrary view on something to make a case for it" is mere Sophistry as Amusement.

What next? "Satanic Majesties - The Greatest Rock Album of the 1960's"? "Don't Stop - Best Stones Single Since 'Brown Sugar'"? Get serious.

The glossy (over)production values alone immediately dated the Dirty Work album. Dirty Work has a vicious guitar sound which is horribly marred by the atrocious drum sound (and leaden playing by the substitute percussionists...Charlie MIA) and indifferent bass mixing...something that negates their secret weapon (their rhythm section) and would spell disaster on any Stones album -- even one with superior material -- and these effects ultimately sink Dirty Work, an album with decidedly inferior material. The band that defined the Roll in Rock and Roll delivers song after song of harsh, leaden pounding...the rhythm section with the most seductive swing in the genre is nowhere to be heard. Compelling melodies are also difficult to locate. Add to this mess Jagger's unfortunate return to his worst mid-70's vocal mannerisms (i.e. the guttural growl) and you have an album that ranks as one of the most vitiated and misdirected in the Stones canon.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 17, 2012 20:51

"To call Dirty Work a "Masterpiece by Accident" album is to indulge in the most excessive, self-delusional revisionism possible. To write such balderdash just to present a "contrary view on something to make a case for it" is mere Sophistry as Amusement". Well put, Turd On The Run. To be more prosaic: "Dirty Work" is probably the most talked about turd in Rolling Stones' history!

Date: February 18, 2012 00:23

i really enjoyed it when it was released. The first two songs are rough and fine.......the rest, ......................

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 18, 2012 00:55

KeithNacho
Everyone loves this album.................and SOL

You must be kidding. Nothing left, nothing to be taken from this album.

Date: February 18, 2012 21:48

I was kidding obviously

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: February 18, 2012 22:25

DandelionPowderman
Come on guys...

Shoulda been called, "Dirty Accident"

Date: February 18, 2012 22:48

Jimmy Page played on it................ maybe he was not a good influence.as well as Tom Waits, Boby Womack.......................

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: February 19, 2012 00:07

stonesdan60
backstreetboy1
always loved dirty work my man,only 2 songs i dont like are winning ugly and back to zero,rest is raw,slash and burn greatness.

My sentiments exactly! Even the two songs I don't care for. smileys with beer

Same for me. As I used to put it: Back to Zero equals Zero; Winning Ugly is Ugly.

I have no problems at all with the rest of the album. Always have loved Too Rude. It has that Caribbean flavour. Sleep Tonight is brilliant, One Hit rocks (and roll), the title track is also great...

Date: February 19, 2012 00:15

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
LeonidP
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
...Obviously they thought Winning Ugly would be a hit. They were ugly wrong about that.

If not for Back To Zero, Winning Ugly would qualify as the worst song that I've ever heard.

I agree with you mostly. It's almost non-debatable. The reason I say almost is because of Streets Of Love and to a lesser extent Sweet Neo Con, Gunface and Might As Well Get Juiced, although the last two are not nearly as bad as WU and SOL.

Winning Ugly vs Streets Of Love

Winning Ugly and Back to Zero are hands down the two worst ever.
Sweet Neo Con is not as bad as the two aforementioned.
Bridges' Gunface is good IMO, it may be strange but not bad. Same as MAWGJ.
And Street of Love, in my humble opinion, is a great tune. I never skip it when listening to ABB.which by the way is a solid album.

Date: February 19, 2012 00:34

Palace Revolution 2000
I don't like "Voodoo Lounge" too much, and I have both of these albums together at the bottom of my Stones albums.
But both of them spawned many wellkown outtakes. Outtakes which could and should have made the album much better. (IMO)
"What am I gonna do with your Love"
"Deep Love"
"Crushed Pearl"
"Strictly Memphis"
"Invitation"
You may add Who Gives You the Right which I think comes from the same sessions.
Crushed Pearl is one their very best.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home