Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
Dirty Work - Masterpiece by Accident?
Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:02

Hey all - I promised to keep you informed when I posted a new Stones-related piece on my blog so here it is: Dirty Work: The Stones Masterpiece by Accident!

I hardly expect everyone to agree with me! I'll be happy if anyone does, quite frankly! But...it's been something I've felt I had to write for months, if not years, and now I've finally got it out of my system. It's lengthy but hey, that'll help kill some time till the big tour announcement, right?

anyway, enjoy!

[montesnewblog.blogspot.com]

Re: Dirty Work - Masterpiece by Accident?
Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:08

I guess most of the people here will reduce your definition to "Accident".

I don't dislike the songs in themselves, but that eighties sounding and drumming is pure torture to my ears

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:40

I guess the record could have been much better had Mick put more effort into it.there are couple of excellent song that redeem the whole affair.Mick reached his vocal nadir on this one and I think that he deliberately sabotaged the whole project

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:44

Thank you for your writting about this album.. In fact your blog is better then the album...
A great read!

Sadly it had the making of a Masterpiece...But it became a Accident..
Only if Mick put more time, heart and love into making this album..

It has a ring of Keith punching out all his feelings with one shot...No heart
just a hollow attack..It makes the album fall flat...

Sad----It could have been a Masterpiece if Jagger wanted to make a Great Rollling Stones album
and not looking to the stars for his own solo career!

This is just a album of Keith lashing out at Jagger.

You are right as it's a showcase of how the band was doing at the time....Not good!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:55

Dirty Work a completely guitar-driven album?
Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, Winning Ugly, Back to Zero, Sleep Tonight.

There's half the album - which of those are guitar-driven?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:58

Accident, as in car crash!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 13, 2012 21:12

I guess the Stones are known primarily as a great dance band, but for me this album was/is a great 'workout' album...(as per the cartoon on the inner-sleeve).......no problem with it at all.................

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 13, 2012 21:13

I enjoyed the review very much Monte. Gonna listen to DW this afternoon.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 13, 2012 21:20

Guess that's all I can ask, that folks give it another listen. You're a pretty sophisticated group and you know your Stones and what you do and don't like...I appreciate the feedback!

Again, I know this is an unpopular album. I just feel there's more to it than it's been given credit for. As for Jagger, I kind of think that the way he punches out the lyrics adds to the album, not detracts. It just fits in with the whole zietgiest of the thing!

Thanks again for considering!

Date: February 13, 2012 21:34

Enjoyed the article. I compare Undercover and Dirty Work by the demos. The demos are better than the released songs because they aren't over-produced to sound like a 1980's music trend. For instance, the demo for "Fight" is one of my favorite Stones demos. However based on this, I have to say Undercover is a much better album. There's an Undercover bootleg called Chainsaw Massacre, which is a very early on, stripped down version of the released Undercover song. The material is great. They were still taking chances, writing good lyrics. They were still the Stones IMO. Undercover was the last album were the Stones were the Stones. I feel Dirty Work wasn't even a Stones album. Infact, to me it's depressing. I would even rate latter day work VL and BTB as being a better album. Sorry to disagree, but i still enjoyed the article.

Date: February 13, 2012 21:59

no need to be sorry about disagreeing - I know it's not a popular album! I just wanted to put that out there. I appreciate your thoughtful response though, particularly with respect to Undercover. that's one album that I never really could figure out. It may in fact be, as you say, the last true Rolling Stones album. I know what you mean!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 13, 2012 22:05

I love this album, and never fail to chime-in when the topic arises (as it is oft wont to do).

And, just to stretch my neck out further on the chopping-block, "Hold Back" is my favorite tune. It rocks my world, but alas YMMV...

Date: February 13, 2012 23:05

all right, a kindred spirit! Did you enjoy the blog piece?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 13, 2012 23:10

yeah "accident" as in trainwreck.
Musically speaking the demos sound much better than the finished product.

"One Hit" is a masterpiece and a beautiful opener into... nothing!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 13, 2012 23:14

"Dirty Work - Masterpiece by Accident?"

Do you mean "Dirty Work - Mastered by Accident?" as in "they should have erased the Master tapes instead of pressing vinyls".

I agree!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 13, 2012 23:43

MrMonte
all right, a kindred spirit! Did you enjoy the blog piece?

Yes I did, very much so. In fact I almost, in my first post, quoted several of your excellent points in the blog. Well said Mr. Monte.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 13, 2012 23:51

i think one hit is great.richards guitar tone is awesome!i also like richards lick in winning ugly.the rest of it no thanks.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: February 14, 2012 00:34

Masterpiece or not. I like it.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 14, 2012 00:35

Accident upgraded to masterpiece in disguise

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 14, 2012 00:46

I've often stated that some of the lesser Stones albums aren't really that bad- just bad for The Stones, but calling Dirty Work a masterpiece is kind of like calling "Joannie loves Chachi" a great television show.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 14, 2012 00:46

Just the latest revisionist attempt to "upgrade" this miserable excuse for a record.

Date: February 14, 2012 00:57

I liked the article. But you did not mention "Hold Back".

Posted by: nick ()
Date: February 14, 2012 03:43

The CBS contract that asked for a Mick solo title in my opinion is what derailed the Dirty Work album, the tour to follow, the individual Live Aid appearances, another Stones album. Has to be the most unhappy time a Rolling Stones fan experienced.

Date: February 14, 2012 03:55

Great blog about that maligned album. I love the cover and there are a few songs on it that I think are great. There are also a few duds - Back to Zero has got to be the worst Stones song ever. In fact here on IORR once long ago it did achieve that rating. One Hit - now that's a true classic with its dynamic tension. Keep on writing...

Date: February 14, 2012 04:20

my friend, I am all for a diversity of opinion and as I've mentioned, I am aware that few will agree with me. I would object, however, to your using the word "revisionist." I have no reason to try to rewrite history. It's a blog and it's an opinion I've had for years. What can I say, I love the record!

So say what you will, disagree all you want, but revisionist? That I don't see.

Date: February 14, 2012 04:21

I did mention that a few songs don't hold up. BTZ is exhibit A, I totally agree!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 14, 2012 04:25

A few minor gems sprinkled through the album, One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, Had it With You, Dirty Work, Sleep Tonight, Too Rude, and the Stu keyboard fad out. But also one of their worst produced albums period. Jagger phoned in his performances, and the band just sounds fragmented and trying to latch onto trends to ride the charts. Not one of their most stellar moments, but understandable now that the true depth of the Band's dis-function has come to light... Back to Zero would be an apt way to describe the entire project.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 14, 2012 04:30

No masterpiece at all.

Peace

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 14, 2012 08:03

Well, I actually like Dirty Work better than ABB..... I can say that much for it...

MrMonte
Hey all - I promised to keep you informed when I posted a new Stones-related piece on my blog so here it is: Dirty Work: The Stones Masterpiece by Accident!

I hardly expect everyone to agree with me! I'll be happy if anyone does, quite frankly! But...it's been something I've felt I had to write for months, if not years, and now I've finally got it out of my system. It's lengthy but hey, that'll help kill some time till the big tour announcement, right?

anyway, enjoy!

[montesnewblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 14, 2012 08:29

Dirty Work is just very 1986 and no masterpieces were done that year...or?

New Challenge! Are there any masterpiece-albums released 1986?

Please write them down on this thread...

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home