Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ronnie Wood was offered Led Zeppelin job
Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: February 10, 2012 18:23

stonesdan60
Koen
Did he mention what he was asked to play in LZ? Guitar or bass?

Bass - Gotta admit his bass playing was awesome with Jeff Beck.

Since Jimmy Page brought JPJ in first, I have to imagine that Ronnie would have been rythem guitar, not bass. The Yardbirds were originally a two guitar band. Since Page and Jones were well known already, both for Page's work in the Yardbirds and JPJ and Page's presence as studio players on many classic 60s albums, I would have to think that the farmers quote would have to be directed at Plant and Bonham.

Anyway, I can't imagine that Ronnie would have added anything to Led Zeppelin, and I love the Jeff Beck stuff that came out at the same time, so I'm glad that he decided not to join, if he was ever really asked in the first place.

Date: February 10, 2012 18:30

The GR
And he saw Mick and Keith on the way to Hyde Park AND was in America with Jeff Beck at the same time. Is there no end to his talents?

Stunning talent he has there huh! Good ol' Ronnie! I need to invent a history as interesting as his. Of course, he's had a good coach in Keith.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 10, 2012 18:43

Well I wish he'd have joined up with those farmers because other than 1976 and his pedal steel work, he hasn't really added much value to the Rolling Stones.

I think he's a charming fellow but not ONE of his guitar solos has EVER moved me to listen to it twice. People describe Eric Clapton as being the king of cliche but imho that honor falls on Mr. Wood, especially where his slide playing is concerned. One BIG yawn.

Besides cutting farmers isn't going to win him any points in my book. peace

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 10, 2012 18:49

Naturalust
Well I wish he'd have joined up with those farmers because other than 1976 and his pedal steel work, he hasn't really added much value to the Rolling Stones.

I think he's a charming fellow but not ONE of his guitar solos has EVER moved me to listen to it twice. People describe Eric Clapton as being the king of cliche but imho that honor falls on Mr. Wood, especially where his slide playing is concerned. One BIG yawn.

Besides cutting farmers isn't going to win him any points in my book. peace

I agree. He's not flashy or SRV like, but I just love the Wood era. I cant think of anybody else that fits in so well. Plus, picture someone trying to play guitar behind Page in 1973 at MSG. What a nightmare. I guess he could've joined LZ and still been looking for work by 1975.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 10, 2012 19:04

tkl7

Since Jimmy Page brought JPJ in first, I have to imagine that Ronnie would have been rythem guitar, not bass. The Yardbirds were originally a two guitar band. Since Page and Jones were well known already, both for Page's work in the Yardbirds and JPJ and Page's presence as studio players on many classic 60s albums, I would have to think that the farmers quote would have to be directed at Plant and Bonham.

Anyway, I can't imagine that Ronnie would have added anything to Led Zeppelin, and I love the Jeff Beck stuff that came out at the same time, so I'm glad that he decided not to join, if he was ever really asked in the first place.

It's just Ronnie talking crap again, he was never asked or considered for The New Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 10, 2012 19:11

Maybe it was for vocalist? That would have went well.

Date: February 10, 2012 19:11

I hear ya munich but think how much better his guitar playing would have developed, playing behind J. Page. And to hear the Zep tunes with more than one guitar as they were recorded would have been delightful live. But this is all what if's and could have been dreaming and is rather foolish, but I guess Ronnie brought it up so it's fair game.

Anyway I think a nice blond American chap is what the Stones needed in 1975 to replace Taylor. heh he peace bro!

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: February 10, 2012 19:12

Thanks Gazza and Majesty for clearing up for me that "met Mick and Keith when they were on their way to play the Hyde Park concert" thing - I saw an interview with him in which he said that - and at the same time touring the US with the Jeff Beck Group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-10 19:13 by Phil Good.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 10, 2012 19:26

tkl7
stonesdan60
Koen
Did he mention what he was asked to play in LZ? Guitar or bass?

Bass - Gotta admit his bass playing was awesome with Jeff Beck.

That makes sense then, since RP and JB were born 'in the country'. RW, JPJ and JP are from London, or at least the London metropolitan.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 10, 2012 19:59

GravityBoy
dandelion1967
So, Nicky hopkins was asked to join Led Zeppelin, Ronnie was asked to join Led Zeppelin... who will be the next one? Bill Wyman was asked to join Led Zeppelin?

Someone needs to check with Chaz and Dave and see if they were asked.

Well, Chas and Dave, The New Barbarians and Zep were on the same bill at Knebworth in '79, so I'm sure the conversation came up at some point backstage!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 10, 2012 20:17

dcba
Ron could have prevented LZ from venturing into the dreadful land of "40 minute versions of Dazed and Confused" "organ solos quoting Stravinsky's Firebird" and other ridiculous nonsense JPJones injected in the band... eye rolling smiley
He could have prevented LZ to be a copy other peoples music band.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: February 10, 2012 23:46

If ronnie and bill were led zepelin I could listen that band. but no ronnie or bill... sorry i donĀ“t have time to listen this crap of lz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-11 00:52 by carlostones10.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 11, 2012 01:14

if ronnie did join ZEP maybe they would have wrote some original songswinking smiley

Date: February 11, 2012 01:15

I wonder if they would have called the band Wood Zeppelin instead of Led?

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 11, 2012 01:25

The Zep hate on this board is just crazy...

Date: February 11, 2012 01:27

Youngie
The Zep hate on this board is just crazy...

I love Zeppelin...they are a top 10 favourite band for me.

Date: February 11, 2012 01:34

treaclefingers

OK so we have one fan on this board + me. WOW!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 11, 2012 01:44

Gazza
GravityBoy
dandelion1967
So, Nicky hopkins was asked to join Led Zeppelin, Ronnie was asked to join Led Zeppelin... who will be the next one? Bill Wyman was asked to join Led Zeppelin?

Someone needs to check with Chas and Dave and see if they were asked.

Well, Chas and Dave, The New Barbarians and Zep were on the same bill at Knebworth in '79, so I'm sure the conversation came up at some point backstage!

Chas and Dave at Knebworth........ REALLY???

Whiiiirzzzzzz... filed away for further use.

Awesome.

Vastly underrated band.

A Jimmy Page solo in "Snooker Loopy" would have been brilliant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-11 01:45 by GravityBoy.

Date: February 11, 2012 02:06

Youngie
treaclefingers

There are more of us...hidden...we have zoso tattoo's on our ass...we meet on Thursdays at the Fox'n'Frog on Pine Street...you're invited soul brutha. Don't tell anyone.

Posted by: TrapBoy ()
Date: February 11, 2012 02:17

J.H.Bonham, a superb musician. Ronnie's new show would be a wonderful platform for J.P.Page to manifest new material. All we have is the now, past informs our present, but the future counts too.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 11, 2012 02:34

Count me in the Zep fan club.

Date: February 11, 2012 02:43

GravityBoy
Count me in the Zep fan club.

I'm in too, sans the ass tattoo. Mtaylor don't forget the Stones and every other act on the planet borrows extensively from their influences. LZ has has paid out plenty of "other artist wirting royalties" too, so give it a break please. peace

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 11, 2012 03:40

love led zep!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 11, 2012 05:05

Youngie
treaclefingers

I've seen them 18 times in the 70's, can't say I'm not a fan.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: February 11, 2012 10:57

I also like LZ. Saying you don't like them is ok, but saying they are crap or thigns like that means not knowing nothing about music

Date: February 11, 2012 14:24

thumbs up to all Zeppelin fans. I'd better hurry up and get my ass tattooed cool smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 11, 2012 14:25

capsula
I also like LZ. Saying you don't like them is ok, but saying they are crap or thigns like that means not knowing nothing about music

Or, you just think they are crap.

Date: February 11, 2012 14:26

BluzDude

Favorite concert you've been to?

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: February 11, 2012 14:34

BluzDude
Youngie
treaclefingers

F*ckin' B*stard, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, so jealous.

SonicD

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 11, 2012 16:45

Gazza
Ronnie claims to have seen the Stones at Hyde Park (or seen them on the way to the Hyde Park show..something like that)

... Ronnie tells it as if he spoke to Mick and Charlie just before their july 1969 performance,
but it was at the june 1969 Hyde Park concert that he encountered them.
they'd all come to see Blind Faith, and the two Stones no doubt wanted to check out the logistics.
so Ronnie's not quite full of shite - he's just gotten mixed up about what month it was,
which happens even in the best families

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-11 20:16 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1579
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home