Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Lock the Vaults and Throw Away the Keys
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:16

melillo
yeah your right it was only the first pay per view event of all time, it would be silly to think people already have itconfused smiley

The vast majority of 'people' don't. Most of them have probably never even heard of it. It wasnt released officially and was never even broadcast outside of the US.

Even on this site in the last day or so, there are people assuming this is the same show that was featured in the 'Lets Spend The Night Together' movie or that most or all of the 'Still Life' album comes from it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-02 14:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:26

but these "people" are very very unlikely to be interested in such a product at all. that's the point. i would guess that the overwhelming majority of stones fans who MIGHT be interested in a product like this either already have it or watched it back in the day or at least familiar with it. that's the prob with making this particular choice. well, that's one of the probs.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:37

Palace Revolution 2000
71Tele
Justin
Don't worry 71Tele, in about 2 months time we'll all be enjoying the glorious sounds of Werchter 2007!

What the hell is going on here?

LOL, Jagger looks so ridiculous here. Poor guy. I think Keith must have remained impassive on purpose. They all knew they were lost. including DJ.

At 30 secs it looks like Mick tries to halt the song..Cutting motion across the neck...Keith it looks like tells Mick "no" and so Mick quickly turns his STOP signal into "oh..I wasn't saying stop...that's a new dance move....lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-02 14:38 by EddieByword.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 2, 2012 14:41

We're getting in to the question of what is a fan. I got my first Hampton 3LP about 1983 and VHS about 85. If you say you're a fan for the last 10 years and you haven't gone buggo and downloaded tons of stuff (including Brussels 73 and Hampton) are you a 'fan' or just a casual listener? There's obviously a difference because nobody was anticipating the release of Hampton a week ago. Every one here seemed to be waiting for a 75/76 release or an unlikely El Mocambo show. Now we're split on whether Hampton is a good release even if it is remastered.

I would say that the archive series is targeted at the world and not at fans of any particular dedication. So the logical releases are going to be popular bootlegged titles for which there are professional recordings.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 2, 2012 15:41

DandelionPowderman
OPEN THE VAULTS!

Good god, the only thing in that vault is a table and chair! There's gonna be some complaints about that.

Posted by: mabo ()
Date: February 2, 2012 15:51

The Some Girls - Bonus CD with unreleased songs was really disapointing!
All that Country-Shit, nobody needs!

Exile-Bonus was not really a burner, too!
A few great songs, but also many boring stuff!
All those bootlegs are so much better!

There are so many great demos/outtakes, we know from all these boots ... and then this ...

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: February 2, 2012 15:54

EddieByword
Palace Revolution 2000
71Tele
Justin
Don't worry 71Tele, in about 2 months time we'll all be enjoying the glorious sounds of Werchter 2007!

What the hell is going on here?

LOL, Jagger looks so ridiculous here. Poor guy. I think Keith must have remained impassive on purpose. They all knew they were lost. including DJ.

At 30 secs it looks like Mick tries to halt the song..Cutting motion across the neck...Keith it looks like tells Mick "no" and so Mick quickly turns his STOP signal into "oh..I wasn't saying stop...that's a new dance move....lol

bless 'em ,thats the famous weaving . isn't it ?

Date: February 2, 2012 15:54

StonesTod
but these "people" are very very unlikely to be interested in such a product at all. that's the point. i would guess that the overwhelming majority of stones fans who MIGHT be interested in a product like this either already have it or watched it back in the day or at least familiar with it. that's the prob with making this particular choice. well, that's one of the probs.

The vast majority of people - even in that bracket - dont live in the US and would never have seen this show unless theyve gone to the trouble of hunting down a bootleg video or DVD of it. Me included.

While its certainly in the top 10 of top Stones bootlegs (and is probably the definitive Stones boot from that decade), it's still a limited audience. There are more fans IMO who maybe own a lot of their official material but who have barely or ever dipped their toes into the waters of unofficial releases. THAT is a potentially large percentage of the people they're trying to attract. For the likes of you or me, there's not going to be a large chance of them releasing something we've never heard as about 90-95% of Stones shows in the last 40 years are in circulation in some form, and we're likely to already have the ones that were broadcast, mixed, professionally recorded, shortlisted for possible release, etc.

The mix on this new release blows the bootlegs out of the water IMO. That alone makes it well worth £5.50 of my money.

Date: February 2, 2012 15:55

mabo
The Some Girls - Bonus CD with unreleased songs was really disapointing!
All that Country-Shit, nobody needs!

Exile-Bonus was not really a burner, too!
A few great songs, but also many boring stuff!
All those bootlegs are so much better!

There are so many great demos/outtakes, we know from all these boots ... and then this ...

Balls. I did!

Of course the bootlegs are 'better'. After all, if you paid double the price or a normal CD for recordings that arent perfect quality, you're going to feel a bit daft if you're forced to admit the content and sound are a bit shitty, arent you?

Its like these people who pay $1000 for a concert ticket for a warhorse laden show and then always insist 'it was worth it...I'd have paid twice the amount'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-02 15:58 by Gazza.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 2, 2012 16:15

Following up on Gazzas point do you out there think that all fans out there are not fans because they have no bootlegged material or even do not own all the official albums?

What is a fan and who do you think this archive series is targetted at?

Date: February 2, 2012 16:31

The GR
Following up on Gazzas point do you out there think that all fans out there are not fans because they have no bootlegged material or even do not own all the official albums?

How many people who attended a show on the last tour only own Hot Rocks or The Singles Collection? Not sure if you can measure fandom by counting how many boots you own!

The archive series says to me "It's old, its been really popular with hardcore fans for years...now you can own it too" - so aimed at people who might not know where to get bootlegs from or concerned about legality of owning them.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 2, 2012 16:33

flilflam
This thread is a response to the new thread entitled, What Would You Choose, a New Tour or Open the Vaults?

Having listened to the new tracks on Some Girls, and after having listened to a number of bootlegs on You Tube, I can only say this. What is this obsession with songs that were written ages ago and were possibly rejected a number of times as inferior and not suitable for inclusion on a CD. YouTube is the perfect place to stick these inferior songs, and they are free for listening as long one has access to a computer.

I want a new tour now and a new album with fresh new songs no one has heard. The Stones are not dead yet and may have ten years or more to come up with new songs.

If I hear the term, Open the Vaults,one more time I will scream bloody murder and run down the road in front of my house...butt naked!!!

I couldn't agree more. Spare Parts is sooooo bad it's embarassaing. Plunder My Soul is no more than a throwaway that should be lost forever. I beleive I played the Exile outtakes 3 times which was 3 times to many. Some Girls outtakes maybe twice. Can't bring myself to listen again.

Date: February 2, 2012 17:22

Gazza
The mix on this new release blows the bootlegs out of the water IMO.

i listened very carefully to it and would strongly disagree. I read comments on this board that suggest they are hearing things they've never heard before on the new mix. I know this show like the back of my hand and hear nothing that i haven't heard a thousand times before. it's an improvement for sure...but a marginal one that cuts out some crowd noise and sharpens the guitars...but there was very little wrong with the original mix we've heard for decades, imo.

Date: February 2, 2012 17:24

Gazza
The vast majority of people - even in that bracket - dont live in the US and would never have seen this show unless theyve gone to the trouble of hunting down a bootleg video or DVD of it. Me included.

it's a pity we have to even consider those outside the US...it would be so much easier if....

Date: February 2, 2012 17:29

Father Ted
The GR

How many people who attended a show on the last tour only own Hot Rocks or The Singles Collection? Not sure if you can measure fandom by counting how many boots you own!

The archive series says to me "It's old, its been really popular with hardcore fans for years...now you can own it too" - so aimed at people who might not know where to get bootlegs from or concerned about legality of owning them.

all i can tell you is that i have 6 close friends who have bonded over the stones for decades. we all know the hampton show very very well. we all know the "must have" stones bootlegs very very well. and there's not a single one of us who is ever likely to pay (even the modest sum they are asking) for a marginal upgrade on a show we are already intimately familiar with. so the standings read after two releases: 1 win, 1 loss

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 2, 2012 17:37

StonesTod
so the standings read after two releases: 1 win, 1 loss

Stones collectors and enthusiasts can't argue with this point.
And who the hell else even knows this is for sale?

Just the Stones collectors and enthusiasts.
Bring on Mocambo

Date: February 2, 2012 17:39

Munichhilton
StonesTod

i will say i was quite surprised how much the hampton show crept into the republican candidate talking points yesterday...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 2, 2012 17:41

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod

i will say i was quite surprised how much the hampton show crept into the republican candidate talking points yesterday...

As far as us poor people? Their not concerned...I have a Hampton safety net

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 2, 2012 17:47

Like trying to please a girlfriend you have been with too long, and treated too well.... who now can not be made happy, no matter what.... if the Stones and/or their people do read this site, they must be rolling their eyes at this point.

Date: February 2, 2012 17:48

Munichhilton
StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod

As far as us poor people? Their not concerned...I have a Hampton safety net

donald trump is backing atlantic city '89 as the next installment

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 3, 2012 10:38

I want new songs. I have always liked the way in which the Stones have pushed their music forward though I admit I have not always enjoyed the direction of that. Yet, the single from the Exile reissue sounds too retro for my taste.

Date: February 3, 2012 11:34

StonesTod
Father Ted
The GR

all i can tell you is that i have 6 close friends who have bonded over the stones for decades. we all know the hampton show very very well. we all know the "must have" stones bootlegs very very well. and there's not a single one of us who is ever likely to pay (even the modest sum they are asking) for a marginal upgrade on a show we are already intimately familiar with. so the standings read after two releases: 1 win, 1 loss

Yes, that's my point - these remixed boots are aimed at people who do not already own them.

Personally, I felt a moral obligation to buy Hampton as I have enjoyed it for free for years.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1246
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home