Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Hampton on stonesarchive.com!
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:07

Thanks Koen. Sadly, I must admit not knowing what d/l to my hard drive means, although it probably doesn't take much. Your time and effort in helping though is appreciated.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:12

d/l = download, sorry for the geek language. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:16

Am I the only one who thinks the sound is not that great... I find it cold, digital, and glassy. To me it doesn't sound like a 32-48 analog multitrack tape from 1981.

There's no hiss no warmth and it sounds quite brick-walled, that is the instruments are blended together in a way that's not nice on the ears. Okay Ron's hard on the left and Keith's hard on the right but that's not what I mean.

I'll dig out my VGP for a quick A/B test...

[Disclaimer : I listen to this one at HIGH volume with headphones]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-03 01:23 by dcba.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:26

dcba
Am I the only one who thinks the sound is not that great... I find it cold, digital, and glassy. To me it doesn't sound like a 32-48 analog multitrack tape from 1981.

There's no hiss no warmth and it sounds quite brick-walled, that is the instruments are blended together in a way that's not nice on the ears. Okay Ron's hard on the left and Keith's hard on the right but that's not what I mean.

boo-hiss! we want more hiss!

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:44

midnrambler
adotulipson
What I've heard so far is pretty good,just as well as I've been charged twice for it,once for the failed Firefox attempt

What was your problem? It worked fine for me with Firefox.

Don't know what the problem with Firefox actually was but it would not open,when I tried Google Chrome it opened instantly

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 3, 2012 04:56

adotulipson
What I've heard so far is pretty good,just as well as I've been charged twice for it,once for the failed Firefox attempt and once for the successful Google Chrome effort.
I did email them but no joy yet.it's not as if you can take advantage of the same download and sell it on,as once you have 1 copy you can make as many others as you please.
I will have to be on my guard for the next issue.
Then again why should I be surprised ,I bought every other album at least twice.

Slow down with those mouse clicks there adotulipson! That is typical for partial downloads for some sites. They charge you FIRST then the downloading is up to you to get right. If they don't make it right you can always ask your credit card company to hold the funds because that is a type of internet fraud and you deserve to get a refund.

ITunes used to be notorious for this. One of the reasons I don't use the gigantic but lame program on my computer. I also don't like the way they have been negligent in providing the details, credits and liner notes for every song. Important stuff to me and it's a shame they haven't hired a coupla monkeys to input the data. They have promised this since the beginning of there "I am now a record company" days. I wonder if they still try to the whole "authorize this computer plus two more" crap. Ever try to get all your songs onto a new computer you just bought? Crazy. peace

Date: February 3, 2012 05:46

Neighbors sounds much more powerful

BTW, an easy cheat around the whole USA flac deal is just putting your country as canada, thats what i didsmiling smiley

.....keep on rolling.....

Date: February 3, 2012 06:05

God, guitars and high hat so crisp, bass is really profound. Awesome

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 3, 2012 06:07

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 07:56

81 isn't my favorite, but this download sound pretty good.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: February 3, 2012 09:28

let it bleed !!!!
sounds so ....AWESOME !!!!

Hampton quality
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: February 3, 2012 06:43

I havent heard this new download. Is it really better sounding than the bootleg that is out for years now which I have. My bootleg sounds very very good. So not much to remaster right. Would someone please explain how the new download differs from the boot already out.

Re: Hampton quality
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 06:46

I don't have the old bootleg, so I can't tell you the difference, although I listened to the one at Wolfgang's Vault and compared, it was night and day to that one. I suggest reading through the 2 threads about Hampton, you'll see plenty of discussion on the mix there. So far I've only read one comment that didn't think this was a vast improvement over the bootleg (there may have been more), but still admitted it was better, just not THAT much better.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: February 3, 2012 10:19

Believe me - the sound is faaaaaaaaar superior to anything we have had on "real" bootlegs, just great and the reason for me to change my opinion about the 81-tour ....

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 3, 2012 10:41

tipps
I havent heard this new download. Is it really better sounding than the bootleg that is out for years now which I have. My bootleg sounds very very good. So not much to remaster right. Would someone please explain how the new download differs from the boot already out.
Had a quick listen yesterday.
Amazing to hear it this way.
Go get it.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 3, 2012 13:15

dcba

I totally agree. I notice the same with the new Exile and SG tracks. The unfortunate side of mixing and mastering in the digital domain.

Try comparing the new Hampton stonesarchive release with Still Life (mixed and mastered to tape)

Posted by: Barnestormer ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:18

Just d/l the Flac version.AMAZING !!!!!
Havin' listen to Waiting On A Friend,Let It Bleed(best version I've EVER heard)and You Can't Always Get... right now.
Fantastic stuff...hope that some nice person will create some great artwork.
Wonder what will be the next Archive show.
Never spent 9 $ better!!!!
>grinning smiley<hot smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:25

Barnestormer
hope that some nice person will create some great artwork

Deltics already did.
Just have a look at this page.
[www.iorr.org]

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:26

Barnestormer
Just d/l the Flac version.AMAZING !!!!!
Havin' listen to Waiting On A Friend,Let It Bleed(best version I've EVER heard)and You Can't Always Get... right now.
Fantastic stuff...hope that some nice person will create some great artwork.
Wonder what will be the next Archive show.
Never spent 9 $ better!!!!
>grinning smiley<hot smiley

The songs you have mentioned are my favorites too, plus Under my Thumb ... CLASSIC!

And the next release will be Atlantic City 89, because it is (i would bet for that) the most common rolling stones bootleg (and they will release those "common stuff"). One reason for this is, that it was for sale regulary here in germany 20 years ago for a few month ... My second bet is Leeds71, because this one is very common to, one of the "classics" beside brussels73, hampton81 and atlantic89 ....

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:30

Is there a big difference between the samples and the actual flacs? I must say some songs sound great but I m not sure its always a good thing to hear everything Ronnie played... JJF, YCAGWYW comes to mind. Keith and Bill were the highlights this tour, is Bill audible, but do you also feel the bass and not just hear the notes?

Posted by: Barnestormer ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:32

Thx,just found it myself.Should have looked at the other threads first.But thx anyway.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:34

Barnestormer
Thx,just found it myself.Should have looked at the other threads first.But thx anyway.

Has anybody made CD labels for it? I haven't looked around, but haven't seen it. I know somebody did for Brussels.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 3, 2012 15:50

WeLoveYou
dcba

I totally agree. I notice the same with the new Exile and SG tracks. The unfortunate side of mixing and mastering in the digital domain.

Try comparing the new Hampton stonesarchive release with Still Life (mixed and mastered to tape)

Agree too. The band sounds like they're playing in a box. The good part of such a hot mastering is one can hear every instrument. But at the same time with everything on the same level there's almost no dynamics. Particularly noticeable on Charlie's drums. They sound very flat. Unfortunately that's the sound of today's music : no breath, glassy...
Red Hot Chili Peppers have made their live show available for download on their web site. They just sound the same.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: February 3, 2012 16:28

Sounds better than my Swingin' Pig release and it's a lot less moneyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out. What a great time to be a Stones fan, just think of the music they have released the last couple of years, and there is more to come. Bring it!

Date: February 3, 2012 16:32

kowalski
WeLoveYou
dcba

Agree too. The band sounds like they're playing in a box. The good part of such a hot mastering is one can hear every instrument. But at the same time with everything on the same level there's almost no dynamics. Particularly noticeable on Charlie's drums. They sound very flat. Unfortunately that's the sound of today's music : no breath, glassy...
Red Hot Chili Peppers have made their live show available for download on their web site. They just sound the same.

confused smiley You and We Love You need to check your stereo systems.

The FLAC versions of both Brussels Affair and Hampton Coliseum sounds awesome.

If you're playing compressed mp3-files on your stereo it's gonna sound compressed - no wonder, but if your lossless files sounds like "the band is playing in a box" something is wrong, trust me.

No box, it sounds open, well-panned and greatly balanced.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-03 16:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 3, 2012 16:36

tipps

it's not that big of an improvement. it's not like you're hearing things you've never heard before. given the low cost, it's perhaps worth the cost of finding out yourself, but if you're happy with your boot, my advice would be to not bother...

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 3, 2012 16:42

Koen
Unfortunately, FLAC files don't work on iPods, so I'm using the mp3s for that. But will defenitely burn the FLAC files on a disk to play through my stereo.

burn the flac cd...and then import THAT cd into your itunes as an mp3.
(there's other ways too...if you have the software to convert)

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-03 16:47 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 16:46

NoCode0680
Barnestormer

Has anybody made CD labels for it? I haven't looked around, but haven't seen it. I know somebody did for Brussels.

Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees. The link was posted four posts above yours.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 16:48

kowalski
WeLoveYou
dcba

Hmmmm.....Perhaps something is not right with whatever kind of system you're listening to it on. So far, I've just listened to it on my computer (Windows Media Player) through some very good headphones and I hear no box. In fact, it sounds like the band has been freed from any box and spread out wide open all over the stage. The sound is wide and dynamic and doesn't sound compressed even though I know it is compressed. maybe because my media player automatically converts mp3 files to lossless wav. files. I'm not technically savvy enough to explain the difference. All I know is it sounds great.

Date: February 3, 2012 16:48

lamemodem2
NoCode0680
Barnestormer

Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees. The link was posted four posts above yours.

where's the forest?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home