Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT:Canada the Smartest Country in the World
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 31, 2012 23:53

Who knew? [finance.yahoo.com]

Re: OT:Canada the Smartest Country in the World
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2012 00:03

Yep!!! knew it ....GIANTWHORE's one hell of a teacher ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 01:56 by Rockman.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 00:09

See how many PhD's you can spot in this picture >grinning smiley<

I kid

Date: February 1, 2012 00:29

Rockman
Yep!!! knew it ....GIANTWHORE's one hell of a teacher ....
How is New Zealand 5th and Australia 9th? Don't they know Colonial lives in NZ?winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2012 00:54

How is New Zealand 5th and Australia 9th?

They gave the world Lord Of The Rings......We gave Mad-Max ...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 1, 2012 00:56

Rockman

I'd take Mad Max over LOTR any day. Well the first Mad Max anyway.

Date: February 1, 2012 01:06

Rockman

Bastards!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 1, 2012 01:25

Most educated doesn't necessarily mean the smartest. The smartest people I've met were the ones without degrees. The correlation between academic degrees and intelligence aren't that obvious. And many degrees today aren't worth the paper they are written on. If you want education: Visit your library!

Date: February 1, 2012 01:35

Stoneage
Most educated doesn't necessarily mean the smartest. The smartest people I've met were the ones without degrees. The correlation between academic degrees and intelligence aren't that obvious. And many degrees today aren't worth the paper they are written on. If you want education: Visit your library!

Good point. I think back to college, and I met some of the dumbest people I could ever hope to there. One can have a college degree, and have no common sense whatsoever. I've known some people in my life who were just complete airheads, but they were good at school. They could memorize what needed to be, wrap their heads around various concepts quite well, and made good grades, but were absolutely useless otherwise.

My parents are Canadian, and both have degrees, but my mother got hers in "Dance", so that's one of those degrees that "aren't worth the paper they were written on". I've never seen her dance either.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 1, 2012 02:01

the good news is we can always try to move to Canada.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: February 1, 2012 02:06

Where the hell is Denmark and Sweden????
Ill better move to my family in Toronto!!
Anyway, I,m VERY VERY tired of living in Denmark!!!

Bo sad smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 1, 2012 02:19

Stoneage

Why the rationalization? An inferiority complex maybe?

Some of the stupidest people I've ever met DON'T have a degree. Your personal 'poll' means nothing.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 1, 2012 02:39

No, it's not that tf. I have had my fair share of education and I don't feel inferior to anyone (well, almost...) in that department. I was just trying to point out that the correlation between length of education and intelligence level isn't unequivocal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 02:59 by Stoneage.

Date: February 1, 2012 02:53

Stoneage
No, it's not that tf. I have had my fair share of education and I don't feel inferior to anyone (well, almost...) in that department. I was just trying to point out that the correlation between lenght of education and intelligence level isn't unequivocal.

Your absolutely right...but there is a strong positive correlation. Just because a country has the most education, doesn't mean the citizens are the smartest necessarily, BUT it does mean they are probably among the smartest, and have a higher percentage that are smart, because of education, than those that don't have that benefit.

With all that said, smart people can be stupid...or something.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 1, 2012 03:03

Date: February 1, 2012 03:09

jamesfdouglas

JFD...for some reason I also thought you were from Toronto...I happen to be in Toronto as of about 5 hours ago.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 1, 2012 03:40

I agree with those who note that "educated" doesn't equal "smart" - and I apologize in advance to the tech who has to help me set up my wireless router this week. Sincerely - class of '83.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 1, 2012 03:45

Since we are planning a vacation (holiday, for you non-North Americans) to Toronto in a few months, I be able to check this out myself!

Date: February 1, 2012 03:48

Don't be a stranger, BD!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 1, 2012 03:56

SomeTorontoGirl
Don't be a stranger, BD!

I will let you know when I'm heading in your direction, it will either be the 3rd week in April or the 2nd week in May. It has to work around my concert going schedule (lol)!

Date: February 1, 2012 03:57

Let me know if there's anything going on here, Dude. I've given up looking!

Date: February 1, 2012 04:00

Maybe Canada needs its own emoticon.

May I humbly suggest (_!_)

(Smart *ss)

Posted by: Des ()
Date: February 1, 2012 04:08

As the first person under 18 to take an IQ test (I was five and the first test case, scored Mensa at the time).....Geee can I wade in without being bias (lol). MY dad went to scholl with those who developed the test so he offered me up as test subject.

Canada produces the second highest number of new inventions next to the States. Canada produces the highest rate of medical breakthroughs. Canada's economic model has been adopted by many countries following the melt down, we stayed afloat while attached to the biggest rock!!! Our policing and penial systems are the most copied in the world. Degrees or not I beleive it is more the social target of Canadians that heads us towards such achievments. I watched a show on educational models around the world and the reasoning for the US and Canada invention dominance is the method of schooling. An examle given was Japan. IN Can and US we are taught I'll give you "A" and "B", now you tell me what you canmake of that. While Japan would take "A" study it to death, re-jig it for mass production, take other ideas and improve them vs inventing what A+B could be.

What I do find of interest is that in Canada there is no perception like in the states that the parents are somehow responsable to pay for post secodary education. So we have a high rate of post secondary education (Diplomas and Degrees) but payed for by the students, nothing motivates you like a student loan, now this I find significant towards the idea of how Canuks are motivated to improve their educational status. Many of my freinds have obtained their degrees later in life.

However, it is just one persons survey and criteria, and one thing we do not like in Canada in when they publish such rubbish about how one school supposidly stacks up against others right hear at home, so I should not allow myself to give this one any more credit!

That's just my educated opinion (College diploma Forestry, commercail pilot, glass tradesman), I just skipped spelling class.

Date: February 1, 2012 06:39

SomeTorontoGirl
Maybe Canada needs its own emoticon.

May I humbly suggest (_!_)

(Smart *ss)
Hiya STG! I knew I'draw ya out of your cave with this thread.How is my old Nemisis and chain doing these days.cool smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: February 1, 2012 06:44

Rose to your bait, Nemesis! All is well here. 10' (celsius - or 50' in foreign-heat), no snow. No excitement, nada. How's by you?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 1, 2012 13:37

I live in the states but I have to admit that Toronto is one of the greatest citys in the world. And as far as fashion....Canadians buy a mile.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 1, 2012 14:27

Stoneage

I totaly agreee with that statement. Travelling and working around the globe for years with or without Rolling Stones concerts I met the most brilliant bright people who experienced life and not only university/college. I think to many people just think in thinktanks and don't go out to the real life listen to the nature in its finest tunes and colors, listen to people telling stories about life. Such education is far more creating self confidence and lust for life then only sitting behind the books. But one doesn't exlude the other.

Date: February 1, 2012 22:37

SomeTorontoGirl
Rose to your bait, Nemesis! All is well here. 10' (celsius - or 50' in foreign-heat), no snow. No excitement, nada. How's by you?
I'm good. (except for a certain candy bar named troll on here)....Looking forward to a new Bruce tour.smileys with beer

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 2, 2012 01:02

All the call centers are re-routed there. Or was that India...

Date: February 2, 2012 04:56

The Sicilian
All the call centers are re-routed there. Or was that India...

Could be Moncton, New Brunswick, a lot of them there. NB is the only officially bilingual province in Canada so they get a lot of call centre business.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1468
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home