Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best Stones footage/videos? Shine a light for me...
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: January 31, 2012 22:19

I was wondering what you think are the best videos/live footage/movies on the Stones? Already have seen/own:
Stones in Exile, Shine a Light, Ladies & Gentlemen and I saw CS Blues on YouTube. I've seen the backstage footage from the Hampton auditorium...along with Concert for NYC - and anything I can find with the Stones...I liked the footage from London when they sing Dead Flowers. Is there more of this anywhere? And what about Somegirls?

Also, does anyone know if if the intro KR did for Friday Night Videos exist somewhere on YouTube?

Any other good clips/videos you can share with me?

Finally - please feel free to point out other threads that already cover this info - I do try to go through a few pages but I don't know if there's better way to search this site.

Ok - I'm re-editing myself (possible signs of oncoming schizophrenic episode.winking smiley Maybe I've asked too many questions? Maybe your sick of fielding the same old questions...Maybe I should just be happy with what I have cause I can't always get what you want.

Thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-31 23:35 by memphiscats.

Re: Best Stones footage/videos? Shine a light for me...
Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: February 1, 2012 00:39

My favorite is the new Live In Texas. Great stuff!

Re: Best Stones footage/videos? Darkness on the edge...
Date: February 1, 2012 02:10

Thank you - I will check that out...

From the general lack of enthusiasm, I'm guessing this thread

1. Already been discussed ad nauseam
2. There's just too much to say
3. Extremely boring

That said, I've gone out on my own - into the internet land - and found some good stuff. But it's a bit lonely out there...If someone could share a thread here that has Stones-only video - that would be awesome! If not, I will just re-watch Exile over and over and over again...
How can I stop?smiling smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 1, 2012 07:52

Gimme Shelter and Some Girls Live In Texas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 07:54 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 1, 2012 08:41

Gimme Shelter, L&G, Texas 78, LSTNT and Hampton 81. I don't care anything about post '86 Stones really.

Mathijs

Posted by: Jahman ()
Date: February 1, 2012 09:54

Those few seconds before they open the curtains on LSTNT. Hearing the a-train and just wandering what was about to come. A couple of years later the same with Hampton. Only this time i knew what was coming after the a-train.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2012 09:56

...don't forget the TAMI Show...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 1, 2012 10:01

Like a lot Shine A Light too. Scorsese makes the difference IMO.

Date: February 1, 2012 10:13

The 4 videos from "Black & Blue" - the back to back ones.
And for sure the Marquee show. Doesn't matter that they are not very good; it is very good imagery.
I love the earlier stuff - from 68, 69. And the Nellcote footage.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 10:26

I've always really liked the Bridges To Babylon DVD from St. Louis. I know it's not the best, but sentimental value. That tour was the first time I saw the Stones, and I remember watching the St. Louis concert on the Pay-Per-View special with a few friends, we were in high school. It was a fun night. One of the friends wasn't a Stones fan but was converted after seeing it, then we went out and raised hell that night, with the Stones in the CD player providing the soundtrack.

Date: February 1, 2012 10:28

Rockman
...don't forget the TAMI Show...

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2012 10:51

Some essential stuff from each era to have with you when heading to the desert island:

Brian era:
- The TAMI show (1964)
- The NME Concert (1964)
- CHARLIE IS MY DARLING (1965)
- ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS (1968)

Taylor era:
- STONES IN THE PARK (1969)
- GIMME SHELTER (1969)
- CS BLUES (1972)
- LADYS AND GENTLEMEN (1972)

Ronnie era:
- AUX ABATTOIRS (1976)
- SOME GIRLS LIVE IN TEXAS (1978)
- HAMPTON '81 (1981)
- LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER (1981)

Vegas era:
- ATLANTIC CITY (1989)
- STRIPPED TV Special (1995)
- and then numerous footages and documents telling the same old story; any will do, or skip them all

- Doxa

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 1, 2012 14:03

LA FORUM 1975
KNEBWORTH

....................... Vegas era WHY NOT??
There are very nice moments after 89..............
The world has changed, the music business has changed, the product is not the same.......................RS have changed , ............and i still like it

Be happy my friends!!

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 16:47

KeithNacho
LA FORUM 1975
KNEBWORTH

The world has changed, the music business has changed, the product is not the same.......................RS have changed , ............and i still like it

Be happy my friends!!

I'm with you! smileys with beer though I must admit I'm a mega-fan and thus rather biased towards my favorite band, I think there is a load of great Stones concert videos post '89. I love Voodoo Lounge as well as Bridges To Babylon. They all have great moments. And I think Four Flicks gives us three great concerts, each with their own vibe, although certain songs are repeated. The Biggest Bang? Love it. Great performances from Austin and Rio. And Shine A Light shows a mature and aging band still capable of rocking out. I'm surprised these later releases get so much hate here. Personally, I think one has to have become rather jaded not to enjoy these releases.

Date: February 1, 2012 17:16

KeithNacho
LA FORUM 1975
KNEBWORTH

Be happy my friends!!

For me the problem with Vegas era is that they don't really change at all. The music doesn't evolve, go to new directions, reinvent itself. The story doesn't go further: it just sticks to one page and repeats it again and again. Only major difference is that of around The LICKS TOUR the key players of the band seemingly start to have technical problems in maintaining the usual standard. Especially Keith RIchards's playing starts to sound and look like a real struggle. The BIG change took place between 1982 and 1989, but since then changes between the tours have been in nuances.

So I really don't need much documentation of that.

- Doxa

Date: February 1, 2012 17:20

Thank you Doxa, StonesDad, Palace, RockMan, Mathijis, Dandelion, et al...I really appreciate your help.
Dumb question (please be kind to old Memphis)...what's TAMI and LSTNT stand for?
Cheers all!
Stanley Booth's book arrived! What a great day!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:27

I still havenĀ“t seen Live in Texas, but in my opinion, so far, Shine in Light!

Date: February 1, 2012 17:41

memphiscats
Thank you Doxa, StonesDad, Palace, RockMan, Mathijis, Dandelion, et al...I really appreciate your help.
Dumb question (please be kind to old Memphis)...what's TAMI and LSTNT stand for?
Cheers all!

The T.A.M.I Show = "Teenage Awards Music International" or "Teen Age Music International"; a concert film from 1964 including many other artists than The Stones as well, most notably James Brown.

LSTNT = "Let's Spend The Night Together", A concert fim by Hal Ashby of The Rolling Stones American our 1981. (It is only known by the name ROCKS OFF if my memory serves me right?)

- Doxa

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 18:06

NoCode0680
I've always really liked the Bridges To Babylon DVD from St. Louis. I know it's not the best, but sentimental value. That tour was the first time I saw the Stones, and I remember watching the St. Louis concert on the Pay-Per-View special with a few friends, we were in high school. It was a fun night. One of the friends wasn't a Stones fan but was converted after seeing it, then we went out and raised hell that night, with the Stones in the CD player providing the soundtrack.

I absolutely agree, that Babylon DVD from St. Louis is brilliant, ditto the Bremen DVD from 1998 - "Vegas" -era as some call it but to me they are simply fantastic rock'n'roll shows.

I feel as many post'89 are as good as many other fans think; including the 2008 "Shine A Light" - as a poster above remarked, a maturing band still capable of rocking out.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 1, 2012 18:20

the Sullivan Show, Ready Steady Go and Top of the Pops appearances
the TAMI show & 64/65 NME appearances (i know they've already been mentioned, but they bear repeating)
Rock & Roll Circus
the 1972 Montreux rehearsals
Hampton 81
Shepherds Bush 1999
Saitama 2006

and to go with that:
the "First Barbarians", Kilburn 74
the New Barbarians, Largo 79
Keith & the Winos, Hollywood Palladium 88
Keith & the Winos, Boston 93

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 20:11 by with sssoul.

Date: February 1, 2012 18:28

Live In Texas is probably the best live show video/movie for me. Gimme Shelter, of course, is the best documentary. Four Flicks, overall, is outstanding. Stones In Exile might be the most entertaining video but there's not much to it. Total underkill with that one. And for some reason I'll always have a spot for Bridges To Babylon and Voodoo Lounge live but I have neither of those on DVD somehow, just VHS (along with Atlantic City 1989 of course).

Shine A Light is strictly a shelf filler now, video and audio (even deleted from the player). Their worst, which is just a hair above The Biggest Bang for worst video release (that could top rank due to too much awfulness).

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: February 1, 2012 20:07

Bridges To Babylon DVD just sucks really. Just like Live At The Max.

My favorite is probably Gimme Shelter - MSG '69. Or Live In Texas. And I wish some day that Hampton '81 will be officially released on DVD/Blu Ray. That'd then would be my favorite probably.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 1, 2012 20:59

Marque 70, ladies n gentleman (I still wish they would pitch correct that show it is a half step sharp), gimme shelter, and the 76 shows are all nice. the NME 64 (I think ) is really cool as well

Date: February 1, 2012 21:00

Doxa
memphiscats
Cheers all!

The T.A.M.I Show = "Teenage Awards Music International" or "Teen Age Music International"; a concert film from 1964 including many other artists than The Stones as well, most notably James Brown.

LSTNT = "Let's Spend The Night Together", A concert fim by Hal Ashby of The Rolling Stones American our 1981. (It is only known by the name ROCKS OFF if my memory serves me right?)

- Doxa
Thank you Doxa & everyone else - I've got a lot of Stones homework to do before I can play with the "super fans."

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 1, 2012 21:38

@#$%& Blues. peace

Date: February 1, 2012 22:01

Youngie
Bridges To Babylon DVD just sucks really. Just like Live At The Max.

The only reason those are worth half a shit is because of the new songs they did and just a couple of other old ones, like Waiting On A Friend and Monkey Man, etc. And Start Me Up and IORR from iMax are the only things worthwhile about that movie now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home