Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT Here Comes The Sun with recently unearthed guitar solo
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 31, 2012 14:06

Yes, in fact staying at his house at times too. He wrote Here Comes the Sun in Clapton's garden. After a long, grueling business meeting. And again, really the Beatles rarely had outside musicians in the studio. Other than strings, but that often was done in a separate studio directed by either McCartney or Martin. There were also horns, but again usually done separately. Nicky Hopkins plays on Revolution, and some other assorted session guys play on various tracks. Clapton was brought in to play on While My Guitar during The Beatles (White album), but has never been documented as playing on any other Beatle songs. The tone also sounds a bit like some stuff on All Things Must Pass (and yes, Clapton is all over that album). But, to be fair, there is a lot about Abbey Road's making that is a bit murky. But he is not listed in Lewison's book, or any other source material about The Beatles recording output.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 31, 2012 14:21

Listen to it twice I'm also sure it's George...very typical for Harrison...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 31, 2012 15:00

Lewisohn's book mentions that George overdubbed some guitars on 6 Aug and 11 Aug 1969. I couldn't find any specific mention of an electric lead guitar solo that was added to the master tape, then silenced (but not erased, obviously) during final mixing.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 31, 2012 15:15

this discovery of a hidden guitar-solo from George on 'Here comes the sun' is nearly as remarcable as the latest finding of a complete Mozart-symphony they found in Odense Denmark 30 years ago...or....smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 31, 2012 15:45

stonescrow
frankotero
Very nice post. I liked George Martins reaction to the guitar solo, and he really got into it. Good to see there's so much life in him. smiling smiley

George Martin is ageless!
except for his ears, sadly.

Date: January 31, 2012 15:59

What a pedestrian remark.

But I digress. When Dhani says, "it's totally different from anything I ever heard..." he is referring to hearing several different takes of tons of stuff, and that particular mix was not heard before. It is so Harrison circa Abbey Road, and nothing like Clapton's style. Clapton would have been faster, more precise, and less spontaneous sounding. I also love the bit at the end where Dhani counts out the odd ending in Indian measures and Martin says, "your just like your Dad!". Priceless.

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 31, 2012 16:14

I'm sure there are skads of these but if they were issued people would complain they are "out-fakes" as they did about much of Anthology 2.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 31, 2012 16:21

R
I'm sure there are skads of these but if they were issued people would complain they are "out-fakes" as they did about much of Anthology 2.

Some of those were actual out-fakes. On Anthology 2, some tracks, I forget which, were compilations of different out takes rather than 1 actual out take.

Ie adding the guitar from take 7 on to backing from take 9 etc. They tell us which ones were done this way though, those with this kind of thing in the description...

"This is a unique combination of some of the different takes and sounds... "

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-31 16:48 by His Majesty.

Date: January 31, 2012 16:24

whitem8
What a pedestrian remark.

But I digress. When Dhani says, "it's totally different from anything I ever heard..." he is referring to hearing several different takes of tons of stuff, and that particular mix was not heard before. It is so Harrison circa Abbey Road, and nothing like Clapton's style. Clapton would have been faster, more precise, and less spontaneous sounding. I also love the bit at the end where Dhani counts out the odd ending in Indian measures and Martin says, "your just like your Dad!". Priceless.

Spot on!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 31, 2012 16:45

Surprised that so many here haven't seen this clip before, nor know where it comes from. It's on the official George DVD that was released last year.

Date: January 31, 2012 17:27

Erik, what DVD is it on? The Scorsese docu? I don't recall seeing it on the version I viewed. And not available yet in the US on DVD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-31 17:31 by whitem8.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 31, 2012 17:33

Yes on the "Living In A Material World" DVD. I bought it in December. This "Here Comes The Sun clip" is a bonus feature on the DVD, and not a part of movie itself.
Not released in US yet? That's wierd....what are they waiting for ?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 31, 2012 17:49

I found the video on NME's website. Damn you, NME, for making it seem like this was some newly discovered thing unavailable anywhere else!
[www.nme.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 31, 2012 19:16

Brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 31, 2012 21:05

Erik_Snow
Yes on the "Living In A Material World" DVD. I bought it in December. This "Here Comes The Sun clip" is a bonus feature on the DVD, and not a part of movie itself.
Not released in US yet? That's wierd....what are they waiting for ?

Seems to be only released in the UK as of now

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 1, 2012 01:12

GravityBoy
Come On
GravityBoy
The question is, is that Clapton?

Yeah or Lennon...!!!

George wrote it in Eric's garden on one of Eric's acoustics.

I think there is a strong possibility that it's Eric.

Here Comes The Sun shares the same bridge that's on Cream's Badge but I'm pretty sure that's Harrison playing.

Date: February 1, 2012 01:57

Yeah, and Harrison plays the bridge on Badge.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: February 1, 2012 02:03

71Tele

Just imagine a Beatles family reunion concert. Enough tears to fill the Grand Canyon.

Date: February 1, 2012 02:07

ROLLINGSTONE
GravityBoy
Come On
GravityBoy
The question is, is that Clapton?

Yeah or Lennon...!!!

George wrote it in Eric's garden on one of Eric's acoustics.

I think there is a strong possibility that it's Eric.

Here Comes The Sun shares the same bridge that's on Cream's Badge but I'm pretty sure that's Harrison playing.

The idea and sound of the descending line is similar, but they are totally different. Aside from the odd punches, "Badge" is two straight bars. "Sun" is a 5 count.

Date: February 1, 2012 02:21

I will be crucified, but IMO it is not that big a deal. I saw the header and was expecting an extra part that maybe had been edited out. This is some basic harmonic flavoring over an existing phrase. I mean - it's lovely, great song etc, just...

Date: February 1, 2012 03:23

stonescrow
71Tele

Just imagine a Beatles family reunion concert. Enough tears to fill the Grand Canyon.

I dare not even begin to imagine the traumatic event(s) that triggered your major malfunction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 03:24 by tatters.

Date: February 1, 2012 03:49

tatters you can do better than that!

"Pile! WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION!?" -Full Metal Jacket

Date: February 1, 2012 04:01

whitem8

I'm tired. It's 9 PM here. I'm better in the AM. I can tell you this, though. Whatever the @#$%& is wrong with watchman/stonescrow is not going to be cured by a Sons of Beatles concert. It's going to take a whole helluva lot more than that. Nighty night ....

Date: February 1, 2012 04:06

tatters
stonescrow
71Tele

I dare not even begin to imagine the traumatic event(s) that triggered your major malfunction.

Are you heartless? I mean, you honestly wouldn't be moved by a Beatles family reunion concert? You would seriously be opposed to Paul, Ringo, Julian, Sean, James, Zak, and Dhani sharing the same stage for a few hours in honor of the Beatles? Such an event - if televised - would bring joy to millions.

Date: February 1, 2012 04:09

Where is my gun ....

Date: February 1, 2012 04:10

tatters
whitem8

I'm tired. It's 9 PM here. I'm better in the AM. I can tell you this, though. Whatever the @#$%& is wrong with watchman/stonescrow is not going to be cured by a Sons of Beatles concert. It's going to take a whole helluva lot more than that. Nighty night ....

Pleasant dreams. Maybe you will see things differently in the morning? I mean, with greater understanding.smiling smiley

Date: February 1, 2012 04:32

stonescrow
tatters
stonescrow
71Tele

Are you heartless? I mean, you honestly wouldn't be moved by a Beatles family reunion concert? You would seriously be opposed to Paul, Ringo, Julian, Sean, James, Zak, and Dhani sharing the same stage for a few hours in honor of the Beatles? Such an event - if televised - would bring joy to millions.

How anyone could be opposed to something that would bring joy to millions is beyond me. And I am the one that has a major malfunction? Ludicrous!

Date: February 1, 2012 04:51

whitem8

Actually, the "major malfunction" line pre-dates Full Metal Jacket. It originates with the Challenger Disaster, and the mission control guy's strangely understated, "Obviously a major malfunction ... "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 04:52 by tatters.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 05:11

Its definitely George..But this kind of thing happens all the time...

SOUL

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: April 11, 2012 10:01

Ok I'm braced ready, roll on the abuse. But seriously who gives a crap I didn't join this board to chat about the Beatles nursery rhyme like music. Now if it had been some lost Stones tape like a soundboard recording of Auburn 69 or the missing 2:30pm San Diego show from 11th Nov that would be worth starting a thread about.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1530
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home