Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk (Some Girls Deluxe): Keep Up Blues
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 17, 2020 13:45

Spud
They could easily cut another 5 volumes of B&L...

...and I for one wouldn't complain .
That would be a nice book end to there fabulous career for sure .I would buy it up in a second !

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 17, 2020 14:51

Even if their capacity to produce truly great self penned material has waned...

...they remain superlative interpreters of the blues and other roots genres.

I've always enjoyed what they do with this material just as much as I have their own original songs.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: September 17, 2020 16:39

Jagger sounds like a VERY drunk Tom Waits on the bootleg to me! I much prefer his very witty and very well sung lyric on the Some Girls deluxe version and I like the playing better and of course the sound quality. Some people will always prefer the bootlegs. Maybe they like the feeling of being 'in the know', like the well intentioned fellow at a record fair years ago who told me that Bruce's unreleased 'The Ties That Bind' was much better than 'The River'.

It isn't.

I cannot believe that anyone would seriously want to listen to 'Some people Tell me' more than 'Keep Up Blues' but then, some people think Undercover is better than Dirty Work, so there's no explaining individual taste...!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2020 11:55

bakersfield
Jagger sounds like a VERY drunk Tom Waits on the bootleg to me! I much prefer his very witty and very well sung lyric on the Some Girls deluxe version and I like the playing better and of course the sound quality. Some people will always prefer the bootlegs. Maybe they like the feeling of being 'in the know', like the well intentioned fellow at a record fair years ago who told me that Bruce's unreleased 'The Ties That Bind' was much better than 'The River'.

It isn't.

I cannot believe that anyone would seriously want to listen to 'Some people Tell me' more than 'Keep Up Blues' but then, some people think Undercover is better than Dirty Work, so there's no explaining individual taste...!

I hear you. But I think that is the beauty of hardcore fanship: by being so familiar with the band and of its music people recognice or even hear things that the not so cultivated and educated ears of 'casual fans' do not. That's always the case with the 'experts' in any field.

I guess the case is that with bootleg version of "Keep Up Blues" is that some cultivated hardcore fans hear there a hidden gem, but very most of the people just a pretty standard blues number with horrible vocals... (not that the polished version is not that much more memorable, but at least it is more 'easy-listening').

I think the problem - or reality - is that the Stones are not and never been very hardcore fan-friendly band. Their aim is always more commercial, that is, their target is the casual fans (the hardcore fans will follow them in any case and buy whatever they happen to sell). Even if the case is releasing some decades old vaults material, which in a theory should interest only some hardcore fans. They always seem to aim higher in gathering audience. It has its ups and downs, but in the long run that's the policy which have made and keep them very wealthy men and big shots in music business. I don't think they will ever change... (which is to say never will satisfy the needs of hardcore fans who are painfully awere of what they could do in a theory). In that sense it is much easier to be, say, a Bob Dylan hardcore fan than a Stones one....

But that quite many - be them hardcore fans or not - rank UNDERCOVER over DIRTY WORK I don't find that that shocking at all....grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 12:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 18, 2020 14:30

One of the best from the generally high quality SG Bonus.

I have it on the ipod as it's own album; 12 track album titled "No Spare Parts" with the album cover the No Spare Parts Single art.

Date: September 18, 2020 15:08

I think fans of Howlin' Wolf are likely to love Mick's original vocals.

A fantastic homage thumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 18, 2020 15:28

DandelionPowderman
I think fans of Howlin' Wolf are likely to love Mick's original vocals.

A fantastic homage thumbs up

I agree thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 18, 2020 16:30

Doxa
bakersfield

It isn't.

I hear you. But I think that is the beauty of hardcore fanship: by being so familiar with the band and of its music people recognice or even hear things that the not so cultivated and educated ears of 'casual fans' do not. That's always the case with the 'experts' in any field.

I guess the case is that with bootleg version of "Keep Up Blues" is that some cultivated hardcore fans hear there a hidden gem, but very most of the people just a pretty standard blues number with horrible vocals... (not that the polished version is not that much more memorable, but at least it is more 'easy-listening').

I think the problem - or reality - is that the Stones are not and never been very hardcore fan-friendly band. Their aim is always more commercial, that is, their target is the casual fans (the hardcore fans will follow them in any case and buy whatever they happen to sell). Even if the case is releasing some decades old vaults material, which in a theory should interest only some hardcore fans. They always seem to aim higher in gathering audience. It has its ups and downs, but in the long run that's the policy which have made and keep them very wealthy men and big shots in music business. I don't think they will ever change... (which is to say never will satisfy the needs of hardcore fans who are painfully awere of what they could do in a theory). In that sense it is much easier to be, say, a Bob Dylan hardcore fan than a Stones one....

But that quite many - be them hardcore fans or not - rank UNDERCOVER over DIRTY WORK I don't find that that shocking at all....grinning smiley

- Doxa

Although we have great fun doing it ...we have to acknowledge that on these we often grossly overcomplicate being Stones fans and should just turn it up and enjoy that glorious noise ...regardless of the debated motives behind it winking smiley

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 18, 2020 22:15

I quite like the original. You can't hear a bloody thing Mick says but that's what makes it great. I can make out a few lines in the song. One being, "I'm gonna make another record while I can." There's a pic circulating of the SOME GIRLS session logs that lists a song called "Last Record Blues." That might very well be the original title of "Keep Up Blues."

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home